Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Different Universe by dunuelos
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Different Universe

dunuelos

Harry awoke the next morning, feeling both happy and relaxed. The night before, Hermione had moved their relationship to the next level, and as far as Harry was concerned, it was quite brilliant.

As he lay in bed, he looked at his bushy-haired girlfriend and wondered how he had become so lucky to find her.

Harry decided that if he had any choice in the matter, this was who he wanted to spend his life with.

An hour later, the family sat around the breakfast table enjoying the fry-up that Harry had prepared. The women made many appreciative comments, while Robert made only a couple while attempting to suss out exactly how far Harry had gone with his daughter.

"Harry, have you ever played golf?"


Sunday was an enjoyable day all around for the current residents of the Granger household.

Harry had been introduced to the game of golf by Robert, who used the opportunity to grill -- even if ever so lightly -- Harry about his and Hermione's relationship. Harry had attempted to dodge the question, but had finally admitted to exploration with Hermione's instigation. He admitted to nervousness as he was terribly frightened of taking advantage of her.

For his part, Robert could see that Harry really had no clue. He decided that if things were as they appeared, Harry was worthy -- if only barely -- of his daughter's affections. He gave Harry his permission to allow things to progress, as long as it continued to be Hermione's decision. He explained to Harry that he trusted his daughter and her decisions. He also explained that he had always promised himself that his daughter's happiness came first, even if it conflicted with his desire to strap any young man that showed interest to his dental chair without the benefit of anesthetic.

Robert then asked if he had a dentist and offered to check out his teeth. At Harry's look of terror, Robert completely lost it. Harry sheepishly laughed in response and wondered aloud if Robert was perhaps having a littlemore fun than he was himself on this trip. Finally Robert clapped him on the shoulder and agreed that Harry had seen through his motives.

The two actually had quite a camaraderie by the time the outing was complete.

Emma and Hermione, in the meanwhile, were actually relieved to be left alone by the menfolk.

They had spent quite a bit of time chatting about Harry, relationships, Harry, sex, Harry, marriage, Harry, future plans and, oh of course, Harry.

Having the relationship they had, Hermione was quite forthcoming about their previous evening's activities. Emma was amazed at Harry's apparent natural ability to fond the sensitive spots on a woman's most intimate parts.

Somehow, by the end of their discussion, the two had ended up in a bookstore purchasing books on sensual massage and . Hermione was going to make Harry do homework. Somehow, she didn't think he would mind much.

When Harry and Robert finally made it back to the house, Hermione had made a great show of inspecting Harry for damage while mock glaring at her father. The family had quite a laugh about it.

They also had discussed the headlines of that day's Daily Prophet.


POTTER WILL IGNORED BY SUPREME MUGWUMP

According to a certified copy of the the Potter will received compliments of the Boy-Who-Lived, there are significant indications that Albus Dumbledore defied the written Last Wills of ....

GRINGOTT'S RESPONDS TO INQUIRIES

In an unusual move, Gringott's Bank has made a statement in response to questions regarding the handling of the Potter Wills. According to a spokesman for Ragnok, Manager of Gringott's, Albus Dumbledore ....

WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW? Conflict with You-Know-Who Quiet

Since being seen at the Ministry of Magic over 2 1/2 weeks ago, there have been few reports of activity on the part of the Death Eaters, followers of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. The question on everyone's mind is what plans ....


Monday evening, the Order of the Phoenix met at Hogwarts. The Headmaster called the meeting to order.

"Remus, what can you tell me about Harry's relatives' house?"

Remus piped in with, "I'm sorry, Albus. Tonks and myself have looked for any indication of Harry's movements, and we have not seen any indications that he was there. But then again, we haven't seen any indications he was not there."

Arabella Figg added her two pence. "Petunia has not said much but there are indications that he is not there. According to neighborhood gossip, the boy has not been seen. Then again, he could be being isolated by the family. So there is no guarantee."

"Alastor, if you could, please go tomorrow and check to see if there are any indications that you could see using your splendid magical sight."

Moody gruffly replied, "Will do, Albus. If I see him there, what do you want me to do?" Moody was a little put off by the Headmaster's attempt at flattery. Although he was very satisfied with his magical eye, it also reminded him of old injuries he had sustained. Dumbledore was losing his smoothness for some reason.

"Please report back to me as soon as possible, should you find evidence either way." The Headmaster knew that his comment had been somewhat insensitive, but he was distracted with his weapon moving outside of his sphere of influence. He would have to work on calming himself more. He turned to Arthur. "Have you heard any word from young Harry?"

Arthur looked around at the others as he replied. "I haven't heard any indication from my children that Harry has been in touch." He turned to the Headmaster. "I can ask Ron to owl him if that would help."

Albus thought about this for a moment. "Perhaps a more indirect approach. We know of young Harry's friendship with Ms. Granger. Could you ask your children to invite her to the Burrow for some time this summer? Once she is there, she could possibly aid in contacting him."

Molly looked to Albus with a touch of enthusiasm, as this worked to her plan. Dumbledore nodded discretely to her. He then moved to his next subject.

"Kingsley, have we had any word on what the Ministry is doing in the face of Lord Voldemort's return?"

"A vote of no confidence is being discussed among the department heads. Fudge is likely on his way out. If another successful attack occurs, it would likely cause the end of the Fudge administration." Albus nodded his head in response.

"Severus, what reports do we have on Lord Voldemort and his followers?"

Snape replied is his silky voice. "The Dark Lord has finally become ambulant. I have been tasked with several potions for stamina and stability of his magic. He has confided that he no longer feels the connection with the brat." Severus had an image to maintain, after all. Minerva immediately chided him, although he did not respond to her.

McGonagall then added, "Can we use this to our advantage? If he has been weakened, this could aid in the fight against him."

Albus answered in his calm manner. "Yes, yes, quite. We all should consider this and make plans to be brought up in our next meeting. Severus, if you could continue monitoring?" Snape nodded his head with a blank look upon his face.

Albus needed Amelia Bones out of the way NOW. If was to regain control of young Harry Potter, he must not have allies in Ministry that he did not control. In addition, she was the strongest contender if Cornelius was dismissed. It would not do to have a Minister that was too popular.

Emmeline Vance then asked the question that many of those not within Dumbledore's inner circle wanted to ask. "Headmaster, if I may, what is happening with the headlines in the Daily Prophet? Many of the Ministry workers have had questions and I have not had the information to defend you against slur. Can you talk about it?"

Dumbledore almost growled before he calmed himself down. "I understand the problem. I assure you, everything that I have done has been for the Greater Good. Mr. Potter was placed with his relatives for his own safety as due to the sacrifice his mother made, there were no stronger protections that could be devised. Perhaps reminding people that young Harry survived to this day, despite attempts by Death Eaters and Voldemort to find him indicates the wisdom of my choice."

Emmeline nodded her head in agreement, seeing the point. She, like so many others, looked up to Dumbledore and was convinced of his near-infallibility. The questions she had because of the several articles were many, but she put her trust in Albus Dumbledore, until someone could convince her personally otherwise.

Amos Diggory decided to throw his hat into the ring. He had also read the Prophet and his fanatical loyalty to Dumbledore was being eroded by his common sense. His son had been killed, and he was starting to feel that Albus had more than a little part to answer for in the long run. However, he decided to keep this to himself. "Albus, I'm quite worried what effect this may have if Fudge is ousted. I trust you, you know that. But how will we overcome this in case we need control of the Wizengamot?"

Albus apparently took a moment to think this over, although he felt this would not be a worry once Amelia was eliminated. "You bring up a good point, Amos. Perhaps, should the vote go through, we should evaluate things at that time. By then, any number of things could change." Around the room, several heads were seen to nod in agreement. "Is there any other business?" No one replied. "Very well, I call this meeting to a close. Severus, please remain after."

Everyone made their way out of the Headmaster's office, except Snape who sat with a stoic expression. Minerva wanted to remain for this, as Severus was a colleague, but Dumbledore shook his head and she left.

"Severus, have you had opportunity to express concerns about Madam Bones?"

Snape shook his head. "The Dark Lord has only now begun to be aware enough to begin making plans again."

"I understand. We must distract the public from these slanderous reports in the Daily Prophet. There is no indication that young Harry is staying with her, so should she be attacked, he would not be harmed. We must get him back under our control for Voldemort to be ultimately defeated. I should hope that she has taken the warning to heart that she was sent, but I dare not call attention to myself further."

"Perhaps if I personally informed her of the possible danger?"

"No. I'm sorry, my boy. But we must not risk exposure. The previous warning must suffice. Sometimes sacrifices might be required."

Severus Snape nodded his head, and struggled to maintain his calm facade. He might not care about the woman personally, but he promised himself he would protect Harry Potter, spawn of his most loathsome enemy, regardless of how he personally reacted to the boy. He would have to work quickly.

"Very well. When reporting to Voldemort about this meeting, please launch the plan as we outlined."


Severus Snape had only a short time before he had to report back to his Lord.

"Mipsy!" The house elf assigned to him and who kept his secrets popped in before her Master.

"Master! How can Mipsy help you?"

"I need to ensure that this parchment makes its way to Harry Potter. Can you do that?"

The house elf nodded her head enthusiastically. She was always enthusiastic when she could help her Master. She took the letter and popped off.

Severus Snape waited as long as he could before making his way outside of the wards to go report to the Dark Lord.

When he made his way to the chamber his Master held court in and kneeled, Voldemort ordered, "Report!"

Severus kept his eyes lowered as he replied, "The Order of the Phoenix continues a watch and wait approach. Dumbledore has expressed concerns over a possible attack against Amelia Bones."

Voldemort looked intrigued. "Why is this a concern of the Order?"

"Madam Bones was named the brat's magical guardian by his deceased godfather's will."

"Approach and raise your sleeve!" Severus stood and moved to his Master. Voldemort took his wand and pressed it against his loyal servant's mark.

Within half an hour, the chamber was filled with what was left of his inner circle and several lower ranking members.

"My loyal followers! It is time to get back to the business of spreading terror! Bellatrix, I have need of you."

Bellatrix Lestrange bowed to her Lord and Master. "I am ready to serve."

"You will accompany me on a mission most important. Amelia Bones, blood traitor that she is, must be eliminated and quickly. Yaxley, you must make your way to the Ministry and distract the on-duty Aurors with a report of a possible sighting of ... Travers. Inform them that he is vulnerable. Report that he was seen in Ottery St Catchpole. Travers, make your way to the town and have a drink or two at a pub and then return here. There are several blood traitors in the area and so this would not seem suspect. Fenrir, you shall lead the attack force of giants that I wish to cause mayhem around the country. I shall attack Madam Bones at 2:00 AM. You should attack at the same time in ... Kent. It is not that far from where the Potter brat lived. I will tell you all now, I will take personal satisfaction on the filthy muggles that raised him. Therefore, there will be no attacks on his childhood home until I order it. Do you all understand?"

Around the room, all of the Death Eaters replied, "Yes, My Lord!"

"Fenrir, I will provide portkeys. Let loose for an hour and then return. Do you understand?"

The evil looking werewolf leered in anticipation of the planned destruction. "Yes, My Lord!"

"If this is timed correctly, this will distract the Ministry of Magic sufficiently for the next several weeks, allowing other operations to be successful. Severus, tomorrow inform your godson that his presence will be required soon. At 1:00, return to the muggle-loving fool so that your position is not compromised. Inform him at 1:50 about the attack in Kent and that you do not know of exactly where it is. He will take time to gather his forces which will give Fenrir time to leave. Tell him that you overheard the planning and that you were undetected when hearing this. I do not wish him to know that this is part of my plan."

Severus replied, "Yes, My Lord!"

"Tonight, we will announce the return of the terror of Lord Voldemort! I will warn you, should any of you fail me, the price will be significant."

The meeting broke up as the various Death Eaters made ready to do their part.


Harry and Hermione were making watching a movie when a strange house elf popped into the room.

Harry looked at the elf and said, "Hello. Can I help you?"

"Mipsy is here for a letter from her Master. It seemed quite important that the letter get to you right away." The house elf was bashful in the presence of a wizard and witch not her own.

"Thank you, Mipsy. Can you tell me who is your Master?"

"Master did not tell me I could say."

"Can I have the letter?" The house elf handed him the letter and he looked it over. His facial expression took on a most concerned look as he read it. "Thank you, Mipsy. You were wonderful. Please thank your Master when next you see him and tell him that I will ensure that things are handled." Mipsy blushed at the praise as she nodded her agreement to pass on the message before she popped off.

"Hermione, we have to talk to your parents. Please get them while I call Dobby." Hermione made her way to the upstairs library and den. "Dobby!"

Dobby popped in. "Yes Mr. Harry, Sir! How can Dobby help?"

"Please go to Amelia and ask permission for me to come to her; tell her it is urgent. Once she approves, come back and you will take me there after I talk to Hermione and her parents." Dobby nodded and popped off.

A couple of minutes later, the Grangers made their way to the room. "I'm sorry. But I received a letter that I MUST heed." He handed the letter to Hermione, who passed it on with a worried expression.

"Harry, what are you going to do?" was Hermione's response when all had read it.

"First, Emma, Robert, can I invite a friend here to get her out of the way of the attack? Amelia's niece is a friend and I want her out of the way." The two dentists nodded. "I will be going to Amelia and helping her to prepare." Hermione began to protest. "Hermione, I HAVE to. I was warned this would happen."

Hermione replied, "Fine. But I'm going with you."

The Grangers were becoming more nervous and were about to object when Harry cut them off. "Hermione, this time it would be much better if you stayed here. I am going to send Susan here with Winky. She will help protect Susan, you and your parents. Dobby will bring me back the moment it becomes dangerous. Amelia's house elf will take her to safety and Dobby will protect me." Hermione's eyes filled with tears.

"Hermione, I know I can't stop you from standing by my side in this war. But, in this once case, I need you here to look after Susan. It will keep Amelia from being distracted as well." Hermione nodded at the logic to it, as much as she hated it.

"I don't know how long I will be. It will be a very late night. Nothing may happen. The moment there is any indication that there is a problem, I will call Winky to let her know so you can be prepared in case I AM hurt. Can you brew up a couple of potions for the next couple of hours?" Hermione nodded her head in resolve. "Good. Susan can help also."

The Grangers looked at Harry in admiration for his planning and the fact that he was doing everything he could to Hermione away from the action without rejecting her help, which would crush her. Hermione was not happy but she would do her part. Harry saw her unhappiness and hugged her tightly.

Dobby popped back in. "Mr. Harry Potter Sir has permission to come to Ms. Amelia's and Ms. Susan's house."

"I know it's hard. But please don't worry. After you brew the potions, try to get some sleep. As I said, this is just a precaution. Oh, damn." Harry continued after Hermione's call of "Language!" "I have to update the wards to allow Susan and Amelia. I'm going to add Tonks and Remus as I will call them to help as well."

Hermione looked much more positive knowing Harry wasn't planning on doing it all himself.

After quickly updating the wards, Harry was hugged by Emma as Robert patted him on the back. Hermione gave him one of her massive hugs before he smiled at them and popped off with Dobby.

Emma and Robert looked at Hermione's worried face and each other. Time to distract Hermione. Emma asked her, "What can we do to help prepare to make the potions?"

Hermione's face took on a resolved look as she said, "Dad, help me bring down my trunk with my supplies. Mum, clear off counter space, the table and the stove."

Within ten minutes, Hermione had made her way back to the kitchen with Robert helping to carry all of her supplies. Hermione then had a thought and ran back upstairs to get all of Harry's supplies from his trunk as well.

As Hermione was setting up, Winky popped in with a hastily dressed Susan Bones. "Winky, thank you for helping. Susan, welcome to my house. These are my parents, Emma and Robert Granger."

Susan greeted Hermione and then turned to the Granger parents and with some nervousness said. "I wanted to thank you for letting me stay here."

Emma took the girl in a hug and said, "Any friend of Hermione's and Harry's is welcome. How long will you stay?"

Susan shook her head. "I don't know. My aunt said that tomorrow we will make additional plans. If the worst happens, I will become emancipated and Harry will be responsible for making sure I'm kept safe. He insisted and my aunt agreed."

The Grangers were shocked, although Hermione wasn't as surprised as her parents. Basically, Susan Bones would become Harry's responsibility if Amelia was killed. The trust shown in Harry by the Director of Magical Law Enforcement was staggering to the couple. They knew that Harry was admired by the wizarding world, but to be treated as an adult at 15 with all the responsibilities it implied showed that they had still underestimated the way he was viewed.

Hermione finally replied, "Well, you're welcome to stay as long as you need. You'll be in the third bedroom on the second floor. Winky? Can you help get whatever clothes and supplies Susan needs from her house?" Winky nodded enthusiastically and popped off, even as Hermione took Susan upstairs.


Harry, Amelia, Remus and Tonks were waiting to see if there was going to be an attack. They were all in the family room on various couches, in tense readiness. It was 1:55 in the morning. Remus and Tonks had just received patronus messages that there was going to be an attack in Kent. Harry had argued against them going as he had a feeling it was a diversion. Amelia had sent a message off to Shacklebolt to call in every off duty Auror to go and defend.

Earlier, when Harry had shown up, he had convinced Amelia to let Susan stay at Hermione's house. Susan wanted to stay and fight, being a member of Dumbledore's Army, but was finally convinced to allow Winky to take her away. Then the planning had begun.

Flashback

Remus Lupin and Auror Nymphadora Tonks were sitting in the drawing room with Amelia, Harry and the two house elves after they had arrived by means of the floo.

"Harry, Albus is having Alastor Moody check out the Dursley home to see if you are there tomorrow."

Harry thought about it. "Is there any way to use that?"

Remus shook his head pensively. "I don't know. With his magical eye, he'll be able to see through the house and see that you aren't there."

"I wish there was a way to prevent that."

Dobby started bouncing enthusiastically. "Dobby can help!"

All of the magical humans turned toward Dobby. Harry asked, "How can you help, Dobby?"

Dobby looked quite proud as he said, "House elf magic can be used to make house impervious to magical sight!"

The wizards and witches were astounded. Amelia commented, "The more I learn, the more I know how ridiculous it is to forget about other magics outside of wizard and witch magic."

Harry grinned at Dobby. "That's great! Can you make only certain rooms invisible to magical sight or only the whole house?"

Dobby thought a moment. "I can do certain areas. Usually we would perform the magic on the whole house."

"How long would it take?" His face took on a mischievous look. "Can you do anything other than make it invisible to magic sight?"

"Only a few moments!" He paused again. "House elves can make it invisible to magic sight or make it look a certain way when the magic is cast."

"Okay, Dobby. Here's what I want you to do. I want you to go to my old house and make my old bedroom invisible as well as the bathroom, kitchen and the hallways in between. I want it to look like I am trying to hide my presence there. Then I want you and Winky to put up every house elf ward you can on Hermione's house since I'm living there now. Ask her parents if you need permission from the house owner. Make sure you don't exhaust yourself too much. I still might need your help tonight and I don't want you to hurt yourselves. Once that's done, come back here and rest until called. Okay?"

Dobby nodded his head enthusiastically even as he proclaimed Harry Potter Sir as the greatest wizard for letting Dobby serve him. He then popped off to complete the assignment.

Amelia looked at the spot that Dobby had stood. She turned to her own house elf. "Tipi? Can you also put up the same wards here?"

The Bones' house elf nodded her head vigorously. "Tipi can do."

"Please place every ward you can on the property." Tipi popped off to complete the order from her mistress.

Amelia looked to Harry. "Is the attack happening tonight?"

Harry looked frustrated. "I don't know. I got the word that it would be discussed tonight. Remus, Tonks, do you know anything?"

Tonks replied, "We didn't hear anything in particular, but we do know that Albus kept Severus after the meeting tonight. They might have discussed it then."

Harry sighed. "That coincides with the report one of my sources sent to me. The source seemed sure that it would be soon."

Remus replied, "Well, it would be best to rest until the wards are attacked. Should we rest here, or in separate rooms?"

Amelia interjected, "I say we fort up in the family room. We can add individual wards on the room, in addition to the ones on the house. It would give us a couple of extra minutes in case of attack."

"Can you show me how to perform some of the spells? Since the cleansing ritual at Gringott's my magic seems to be much ... larger is the best word I can think of. If more power can help, I'd like to try."

The three adults began to show Harry the wand movements and incantations for several wards for a room and other proximity wards.

End Flashback

As the group chatted, the silence of the night was shattered with a large explosion in the front of the house.

The four defenders rushed toward the front of the house to see several Death Eaters attacking the wards, and worst of all, Voldemort himself was present.

Harry called to Dobby. "Okay, Dobby. Go tell the Grangers that there is an attack and then you and Tipi need to get ready to take us out of here if the wards are breached. Don't let yourself be seen. We will retreat to the family room if the outer wards come down and you'll take us from there. Okay?"

Amelia directed the rest to start throwing spells at the attacking Death Eaters. Tonks and Amelia began sending stunners out toward the attacking wizards. Remus joined in with other non-lethal jinxes.

Harry, however, did NOT send stunners. He carefully lined up and shouted out "Reducto!"

The others paused in shock as the curse impacted right in front of Voldemort, blowing him back as the debris from the stone in front of him was shattered in his direction.

The death eaters paused in shock as their Lord was attacked.

Amelia quickly said, "Harry, the rules of engagement ...."

Harry cut her off, "I learned at the Department of Mysteries that stunners only leave them opportunity to be revived and come back to the battle. This is VOLDEMORT. It is NOT time to play nice." The three nodded and began sending much more damaging curses and hexes toward the attacking death eaters. Cries of "Diffindo", "Reducto", "Expulso" and others replaced the stunners of the minute before.

The Death Eaters stopped attacking the wards directly and began attempting to send killing curses towards whoever was defending this house.

Amelia quickly told everyone to duck. Harry, from his position on the floor, cast a Duro charm on the wall in front of them. Suddenly the wall turned to stone, this stopping whatever portion of the killing curses that made it through the wards.

Amelia, Tonks and Remus were once again amazed at Harry's quick thinking. Harry was just thankful that Hermione had found the charm when they were looking over books just the day before while the Grangers were at work. When Harry remembered the graveyard and the effect of stone defending against the killing curse, the two had practiced the wand movements vigorously when they had come across it.

The four cautiously took a look and saw that Voldemort was enraged. The Death Eaters were quite terrified as he crucioed one of them. He then directed them to continue the attack. Harry once again started sending out lethal hexes and curses at the attackers along with the others. The Death Eaters were frantically trying to attack as Voldemort once again began attacking the wards directly. Unfortunately for the Death Eaters, they had to spend too much energy protecting themselves against the spells flying toward them. Their own spells were weakened considerably by the wards. Finally Voldemort seemed to be gathering his energy for one massive all-out attack on the wards. Harry took aim and sent an overpower Blasting Curse directly at Voldemort. As he had been gathering his energy, he used it now for a large shield that became visible in front of him. Voldemort still was knocked back a bit when the curse exploded against his shield.

Once again, everyone ducked as several killing curses flew toward the open windows.

When they had passed, Harry cautiously took a look out the window. The Death Eaters were looking toward Voldemort confused. Bellatrix Lestrange looked livid that her Lord and Master was being attacked and turned back toward the house getting ready to send more killing curses. Harry took aim again and sent a Diffindo which hit Bellatrix in her wand hand, slicing through the wand and causing blood to spurt from her damaged appendage. Finally Voldemort sent a killing curse himself as he rushed toward his loyal lieutenant. The defenders ducked again. Suddenly everything became quiet.

The defenders cautiously looked out the windows of the wall that had been turned to stone by Harry's earlier Duro charm, and saw that the Death Eaters and Voldemort had either apparated or portkeyed away.

The four collectively sighed as they realized they had effectively defended themselves against not just the Death Eaters but Voldemort himself.

Amelia finally said, "Well, Harry, your instincts were proven correct. Now I have to get to the Ministry to report this."

Harry answered, "I just acted upon the information I had the best I could."

"That may be true, but it was well done nonetheless. Tonks, you're with me."

Harry stopped her. "I suggest Remus report this to Dumbledore. As Tonks spends time with him and she is an Auror, it wouldn't be unusual for her to tell Remus. Make sure that Dumbledore doesn't know that I was here. We want him thinking that I'm still on Privet. Tonks should go to Privet and 'check on things'. Make sure whoever is watching from the Order sees you do it. Then go to the Ministry. Amelia, I suggest you get one of your Aurors to leak to the Prophet that Voldemort was driven away from your house by yourself and 'select other Aurors'. It will make him look bad, and deflect attention from who actually was here."

Remus began to grin as he said, "Now THAT is the son of a Marauder."

The group laughed. Dobby was called to take Harry back to the Grangers. Amelia and the others went their separate ways.


Harry was popped into the family room by Dobby. He was not that surprised to see the others in the house nervously awaiting word. When he showed up, the three women in room jumped up and almost smothered him in hugs, all of them trying to squeeze him at the same time. Robert just laughed in the background, relieved beyond words that his daughter's young man returned apparently uninjured and cheerful.

Finally Hermione said, "What happened? How is Amelia and the others?" The rest looked interested, especially Susan.

"Everyone is fine. I don't know what it was, but they were held out of the wards long enough that they had to retreat, especially after Bellatrix Lestrange was injured in the fight." Hermione and Susan were shocked; the Grangers just looked mildly interested. "Got her wand and wand hand caught with a cutting curse."

Hermione looked vastly relieved that all were well. "So, what's happening?"

"Amelia went to the Ministry, Remus is reporting to Dumbledore what he 'heard from Tonks', Tonks is misdirecting the Order as to my whereabouts and I am going to bed after a quick shower as I am quite knackered." The Grangers laughed at Harry's feeble attempt at humor, more because of the release of tension than it being funny at all.

The Grangers called their service to make sure an alternate dentist covered their morning appointments and went to bed. The teenagers, greatly relieved at the successful defense and the fact that none were hurt, went up to the second floor. Harry grabbed his toiletries as the girls just relaxed after so much tension was released. The girls were just saying goodnight as Harry came out of the bathroom in his robe. Susan bid them both a good evening and carefully noted that what Hermione had said earlier seemed to be true. Harry was going into her bedroom and not his own.

She would have so much to tell Hannah the next time she saw her.