Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Different Universe by dunuelos
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Different Universe

dunuelos

It was early Wednesday morning when Hedwig flew in with the reply form Hannah Abbott.

Susan had gotten Harry's permission to use his owl to invite Hannah over on Thursday night. Hermione, Susan and Hannah were going to have a sleepover. Harry was just a bit nervous though. Three girls and one boy in the house. Harry started to make plans.

Mid-morning, Pig and Errol had shown up to Hermione's house. Pig had a letter for Hermione and Errol had a letter for Harry. They decided to read the letters together. First was Hermione's.

"Hermione,

"I haven't heard from you since the will reading. Can you believe Sirius demanding we take an oath? Knowing how smart you are, I'm sure you refused to take whatever oath that idiot demanded.

"I wanted to ask what happened after we left. Mum was in a right state, and who can blame her? I'm sure Harry is just loving all the money he got. Probably is gonna start acting like Malfoy. And what was the deal with Sirius and Malfoy anyway? He's a Slytherin and I can't believe that Sirius even left anything to the snake.

"I also wanted to invite you over to the Burrow. I'm sure you are downright bored with the muggle relatives and if you were here you could have some fun I'm sure. Mum wants to teach you to run a magical household.

"Anyway, let me know when we should pick you up.

"Ron"

When the two were finished with the letter, Harry looked over at Hermione getting himself prepared for the blow-up he was sure to follow. Sure enough, Hermione's face was rapidly taking on a most terrifying look as she looked at the parchment as though it were a marriage contract from Voldemort himself.

Susan, who was on the other side of the library looked up at Hermione and Harry and sent a look at Harry. Harry said, "Ron. Being more Ron than usual." Susan, surprisingly, didn't need any more explanation. She rapidly excused herself to go to the kitchen for a snack, giving Harry a significant look. Susan both looked encouragingly at Harry and quite nervously at Hermione. After she left, Hermione finally exploded.

"THAT LOATHSOME PIG! He is the MOST INSENSITIVE PRAT I have EVER encountered in my life! Just wait until I get my wand on him! When I'm though, he's going to wish he never learned how how to write a letter! No matter HOW PATHETIC the letter was! Bored with my 'Muggle Relatives'? And his mother? Wants to teach me to run a HOUSE? That is so condescending! It's like I'm supposed to come at their beck and call, like some little starry-eyed bimbo! And that's another thing! Where do those red-headed IDIOTS ...."

Suddenly her tirade was cut off as Harry had taken walked up to her and just grabbed hold as hard as he could. When she paused in her speech and looked at him so close, he brought his lips to hers and kissed her as hard as he could. Completely losing the thread of her thoughts, she got lost in the sensation of kissing the love of her life.

When Harry himself started forgetting his name in the sensations, he pulled back and asked, "Better?"

Hermione smiled at him and replied in the positive before quietly saying, "Thanks. I needed that."

Harry looked at her knowingly, "Trust me; I could tell."

Finally she brought her attention back to the cause of her upset. The two of them sat on one of the couches in the library and both took a deep breath and then sighed. Finally Hermione continued, "Well. I am going to look at this calmly and rationally. And then I'm going to research spells to turn weasels into insects before I conjure a flock of birds who like the taste of dung beetles."

Harry let out a hearty laugh in response to her comment, and finally after trying to maintain her resolved look, she joined him.

When the two had settled down, Harry said, "Well, I know what I'm going to do."

Hermione looked interested. "What's that?"

"I'm going to get some use out of my investment in the twins and send them a copy of the letter, with your permission of course. Cry Havoc! And Let Slip the Dogs of Pranks."

Hermione laughed at that before she asked curiously, "I know the quote you're misquoting. But where did you learn it?"

Harry laughed. "Well, one day in primary school we had a substitute teacher. He tended to use different quotes. There were a few Shakespeare quotes in there and that was one of them. It just stuck with me. I didn't really know what it referred to, but I asked after class and he repeated just that part. Apparently there was more to it, but that part sounded brilliant to a 10 year old. Anyway, thought it fit here," Harry smiled.

"Well, I'm all for it. Let's finish the other letter and look at the package that came with it."

Harry stopped for a minute. "Wait. I have a better idea. How about if we ...."

Finally Susan came back in after cautiously checking to see if it was now safe. Hermione and Harry were both finishing letters and both looked much more calm than they had before she ducked out. She would have stayed and found out what was so upsetting, but she wasn't a Gryffindor. Hard work and loyalty didn't mean suicide.

The three spent the rest of the afternoon finishing up what they had been working on and chatting away about Hogwarts, magic, relatives, idiots, and so much more.


Amelia made her way to the apparition point at the Ministry of Magic. Tonks was following her, as were three other Aurors who would not leave her alone until she was safely away.

It had been a tense two days at the Ministry. After the attack at her home, she had reported in to a madhouse. Obliviators were rushing out the clean up an attack in Kent. At the same time, several off-duty Aurors had attached themselves to her side and refused to budge, citing the fact they were on their own time at the moment and as a result orders to go home were immaterial. As long as they were prepared for work the next day, they could do whatever they wanted. When the six had gone home, another four had shown up after coming off duty. As she had decided to sleep in the the private lounge attached to her office, they felt that four was sufficient to keep her protected.

Finally, Wednesday morning, she had sent a letter to Harry telling him she planned on coming over and that she had contacted someone to repair the damage to her house. She would discuss things when she arrived. Harry had replied, using Tipi, that she was more than welcome. After a call to the Grangers' office, he had also included an invitation to stay over in the other guest bedroom on the first floor.

The two Magical Law Enforcement officers apparated to the Grangers' back yard and then made their way to the door and knocked.

Emma Granger opened the door and invited the two in. They were led to the dining room, where the rest were already seated. Dobby and Winky had once again insisted on cooking and serving and the humans had decided it was a losing battle to convince them otherwise. So, the two men and the five women sat around having a pleasant meal, having decided the serious conversations could wait until after. By the end of the meal, everyone was quite relaxed.

When the afters had been finished, Harry sat back and finally asked, "So, Amelia, what's happening at the Ministry?"

Amelia thought about how much she should say and finally decided that those present could be trusted. "Normally, I wouldn't reveal anything but Friday there will be a no confidence vote in the Wizengamot. Cornelius has made too many mistakes and it's time for a change."

Harry nodded, and then asked, "Who's likely to replace him?"

"Well, there are several choices. One name is Rufus Scrimgeour. He's the head Auror. He has a reputation for toughness which is well deserved, although he's got a bit of an ego which is why I got the DMLE instead of him. Another name is Pius Thicknesse. He's got almost as many years experience as Scrimgeour. One other name is Dolores Umbridge, as she's the Senior Undersecretary despite what was reported in the Prophet. She's been protected ...."

Suddenly Amelia stopped as she noticed the magic pouring off of Harry Potter. His face was like thunder and the feeling of impending danger was palpable. Hermione Granger stood up and threw her arms around him, and suddenly the feeling was gone. The rest of the people at the table relaxed.

After the tense moment was over, Amelia said, "I plan to move on her when Fudge is out of the way. Would you be willing to provide evidence?"

Harry nodded, "I'll provide memories of her 'detentions' and her admitting to send the dementors after me to shut me up. She also was about to use the Cruciatus Curse on me until Hermione tricked her." The explanation for that had to happen before the conversation continued. Tonks also had to have it explained what else she was guilty of. The scar on the back of Harry's hand made quite an impression to everyone at the table.

"Okay, so I am sure we can make sure she doesn't become Minister."

Susan interrupted, "What about you, Auntie?"

Amelia thought a moment. "Well, I think I'd be better where I am. The DMLE needs to be kept together if we're going to win this."

Harry disagreed. "Look, I know you want to make sure the department is effective, but I think you could do so much more as Minister. Make Scrimgeour Director. You said he was tough. Tough would work for you while you got everything else under control." Tonks, Hermione and Susan all agreed with Harry's assessment.

Amelia paused to think about it. "Well, I'll agree to not fight it if I get elected. But, I'm not going to ask for it." Harry nodded. He had a couple letters to write to the Daily Prophet. "Do you have any other suggestions?"

Harry thought a moment. "Can you get Alastor Moody back into the DMLE?"

Amelia laughed. "He's retired. And although he'd be good he could never stay behind a desk. And with his leg, that's where I would want to put him. That or training other Aurors. And he's had enough of that."

"Actually I had another idea." Amelia looked interested. "One of the big problems with the last time Voldemort was running around was the Imperius Curse, right?" Amelia nodded. "When I was in fourth year, Barty Crouch Jr., who took Moody's place, taught us about the unforgivables. He also put every student under the Imperius Curse to teach us what it was like and to fight it if we could. Now, I don't know how legal it was, but as a result I could fight off Voldemort's curse when I faced him." Amelia looked impressed. "How about you get him in as a consultant? According to what we learned, no person can be under two of those Curse's at the same time. If you have him work with the Aurors to have them practice throwing it off, not only would that help keep them safe, it would cancel any earlier Imperius."

Amelia thought about it for a moment. "Actually, there are provisions for it. We haven't used them as they haven't been in use for the last 12 years, but there's law on the books for that specific circumstance. As a matter of fact, I think I'll implement that tomorrow." She looked at Harry. "Thank you. That was an excellent suggestion. Any more?"

"Who votes in the Wizengamot?"

"Well, several families have seats. About two-thirds of the votes are hereditary though in practice only a bit under half of those are in active use; the other members are appointed by the Minister of Magic or the other Wizengamot members. Why do you ask?"

"Do the Potters or Blacks have votes?"

"Come to think of it, both do. As a matter of fact, I think the Potters' held three. The Blacks held two until the last Head before Sirius died. One of them was the Lestrange seat in proxy -- it was part of the contract when Bellatrix married into the family. As there were no provisions to pass on the proxy and all of the members were in Azkaban, that's one vote that is no longer currently in use. Lucius Malfoy tried to take the proxy as his wife was related by blood, but there was no one to legally sign it over."

Harry's face took on an unholy glee. "Do the Blacks still hold the proxy?"

Amelia started to smile in response. "You'd have to check with Gringott's. But I think so."

"Can I assign proxies for any vote controlled by Black or Potter?"

"As you were emancipated, yes. You can't vote them yourself as the minimum age is 21 regardless of coming of age, but you can assign the votes to anyone you want to who is already 21."

"That works. Here is what I propose: ...." Amelia smiled in response. When it was all said and done, she laughed at the reactions the plan would create.

The next subject would kill the laughter and cause Amelia to curse. No onewas offended due to the nature of the conversation.


After Tonks had left and Amelia was chatting with the Granger adults in the family room, Harry and Hermione spent a bit of time working out exactly what to write to Ron in response. Hermione didn't want to lie, as this was not her way unless it was life or death, but she also didn't want to tell the Weasleys anything. She didn't want them making contingency plans. Susan even got in on it, after she had read the letter and had it explained what was happening. She was almost as upset as the couple was when she got all the details. Finally the letter was written and sent back with Pig.

"Ron,

"As far as what happened at Gringott's, I really can't say. Although I wasn't asked to take any oaths, I also wasn't privy to everything. I was separated after a time and was escorted home by Amelia Bones, who graciously volunteered, which gave me time to ask her about the DMLE and what I would have to learn to work there.

"Please apologize to your mother as with everything that has happened; I cannot come to the Burrow this summer. My parents and I have plans which will involve pretty much all of the time until we go back to Hogwarts. As these plans have been in place for a bit, they cannot be changed.

"I don't know the details of what Harry inherited, but honestly: Do you really expect Harry to start acting like Malfoy? I don't think he has it in him -- you know how much he hates that attitude. I'm sure we will hear all about it when we travel to Hogwarts.

"I'm nervous about OWL results; I hope they come out soon. They are very important to our futures. I'm looking forward to NEWT classes.

"I will see you on the Hogwarts Express if I don't have opportunity to see you before that."

"Love,

"Hermione"

Everything she had written was true -- when one looked at it from a particular viewpoint. She wasn't privy to everything -- she had no idea what the Malfoys or Snape would ultimately do. She had been separated -- when she had left the meeting with everyone else. She did have plans for the rest of the summer -- stay as far away from the Weasleys as she could. She didn't know what Harry had inherited -- he didn't know everything either at this point. And she was nervous about OWLs -- important to her future as well as Harry's. The fact she said "our futures" could be interpreted any way Ron wanted -- it was none of her concern. The biggest stretch was "Love, Hermione". Then again one would have to know the words that were left out -- "I would LOVE to see you hexed into oblivion"; Hermione didn't think the full sentence would help hide things though.

The three laughed together at the deliberately ambiguous wording, knowing Ron and the rest of the Weasleys would take it as they wanted. Then again, the Weasleys would soon be very distracted.

After this, they made their way down to watch the next movie in the Star Wars saga.

The next morning, the two Weasley adults and two youngest Weasley children were discussing the letter that Ron had received. The tone of the letter was distant, but then again Hermione's mentions of learning and classes implied nothing had really changed. She was just as much of a know-it-all as she was at Hogwarts so there were no real surprises. They would have to send something with more loyalty potions and the love potion though.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Arthur opened it to find Amelia Bones and several Aurors. "Arthur, I have some news; can we come in?"

The Weasleys were nervous; the number of Aurors didn't bode well, although they assumed that they were just bodyguards as Amelia had had several since the attack on her home and Arthur knew that.

"Ah, they very people I wanted to see. We have a problem. As you all know, I was appointed Harry Potter's magical guardian by Sirius Black during his will." She never mentioned, of course, that he had been emancipated within a short few minutes after that. "I have inspected his mail as a part of my duties." As an Auror, and at the request of Harry of course. "Imagine my surprise when the package of treacle tarts he received yesterday tested positive for potions. I think we have some questions we want to have you all answer down at the Ministry."


Thursday afternoon at 5:30, Harry found himself approaching Longbottom Manor. Instead of waiting until Friday, Harry had gone to Gringott's already to sort out his parents' wills and to do a final check on the proposition he had made to Amelia Bones. Hermione was with Harry to support him; both trusted Neville and knew he wouldn't spill the beans of he was asked not to.

The Grangers had rearranged their day so that they could help Harry with advice at the bank. It meant calling their service a day early, but as they had planned for their vacation time to start the next day it wasn't much of a change. Most of the clients who expected and demanded to see them personally for their regularly scheduled visits had already completed them, and the rest would wait until after their vacation.

Harry knocked on the door as was greeted formally by Neville. He then whispered, "Protocol, or Gran would kill me." The two visitors nodded slightly to show they heard before responding formally to the invitation. Neville the led them into the drawing room, where Augusta Longbottom was waiting.

"Welcome, Mr. Potter. The peace of the Manor is extended to you and Ms. Granger as long as you are here."

"Thank you, Madam Longbottom. I welcome the peace of the Manor and express my sincere hope for your family's comfort." Amelia had taught Harry a few things when the plans were being made the night before. Hermione echoed Harry's response.

"Now that the formalities are out of the way, I wanted to express my thanks for your efforts this year. Neville has proven himself worthy of the Longbottom name under your tutelage."

"Mrs. Longbottom, there was never any doubt in my mind. At the end of the battle at the Ministry, there were two people standing before backup arrived: Myself and your grandson. Even injured and without a wand, he proved himself a fighter. I was proud to have him at my side." Augusta Longbottom's eyes gleamed at the praise for her family although Neville blushed a bit.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter. Would you or your lovely companion like refreshments?" Harry and Hermione took the seats that the dowager Lady indicated.

"Some tea would be nice." After a house elf had served the four tea and scones, the conversation got underway.

"In your message earlier today, you expressed a desire to speak to me urgently. What can House Longbottom do for you?" Harry definitely noticed Mrs. Longbottom's tendency toward formality.

"I find that I have need of someone I can trust. Can I speak plainly and in confidence?" Augusta nodded. "Recently my Godfather passed away. You may have been aware of this." She nodded her head. "At the will reading and after, several things came to my attention. First of all, I was emancipated."

"I had not heard this. I had heard Amelia Bones became your magical guardian."

"That was misdirection on the part of my godfather. He did not trust all of the participants and the information came toward the end when most of the people had already been given their inheritances and left. Only myself, Ms. Granger here, Amelia Bones, Auror Tonks, Remus Lupin and Fred and George Weasley were aware of this outside of the goblins at Gringott's."

"What about the rest of the Weasleys? I have heard that one is you closest friend."

"This information has not gotten out yet, and I don't know when it will. I trust your discretion in this, as well as your grandson's." Augusta sat straighter. "Several members of the family have betrayed me, as has Albus Dumbledore."

Unsurprisingly, Neville was shocked to hear this. At the same time, Madam Longbottom didn't show any expression. "Can you explain?"

Harry, with Hermione's help at different parts, explained everything he had learned the week before. When he was done, even Mrs. Longbottom, cynical of Dumbledore's motives as she already was through long experience, was shocked at what she heard. "And how did you become aware of this?"

"I had the aid of the Lone Traveler."

Madam Longbottom spluttered, "But that's just a legend."

Harry smiled ruefully, "A legend based in fact. One day, when we have time, I will tell you the full story." He took out his wand and held it in front of his face. "I, Harry James Potter, offer Oath on my magic and life that what I have said to August Longbottom and Neville Longbottom in the last thirty minutes is true to best of my knowledge. So Mote it Be!" He then shot sparks from his wand to show that he had not violated this oath.

Both Longbottoms sat back in shock at all of the revelations. Finally, Augusta Longbottom responded.

She took her wand out and put it in front of her face, "I, Augusta Longbottom, current Regent of the House of Longbottom, pledge House Longbottom to support House Potter in any way it can to defeat our common enemies. This alliance shall last until the the Heads of both Houses formally agree otherwise. So Mote it Be!" She then shot sparks out of her wand.

"House Potter accepts the pledge of House Longbottom and promises its aid in return at need. This shall last until the Head of both Houses formally agree otherwise. So Mote it Be!" He shot sparks back.

"Mr. Potter, how may House Longbottom aid House Potter?"

"Madam, House Potter holds three votes in the Wizengamot. Before my emancipation, proxy was held by Albus Dumbledore. As the new Head of House Potter, I ask that you accept proxy for the Potter votes until I turn 21, unless the Head of Longbottom changes before that time. I also ask that you use these votes to the best of your ability to help protect the Magical world against those that would see it stagnated or destroyed. House Black, which I also hold Head of House rights to, is being voted by Andromeda Black Tonks. I ask that you ally with her in the Wizengamot to bring about necessary measures. If there is opportunity, I ask that you consult me for my position. If not, I ask you to vote your conscience."

After a moment's thought, Madam Longbottom replied, "I agree to this request. I will accept the votes once proxies have been filed."

Harry took a sheaf of paper from under his robe and handed them to her. "Already done. As I know Neville and trust him, I decided that House Longbottom held sufficient honor."

Augusta was impressed at the implied trust shown. That it was already filed meant that as of 3:00 that afternoon, House Longbottom already held proxy subject only to her signature. She would have fun ruining Albus Dumbledore's position whenever possible.

When everything was said and done, Harry had one more thing. "Hermione, can you excuse us for just one minute?" Hermione looked intrigued, but decided that Harry could be trusted -- until she got him alone to force him to tell her what he was doing. Harry and the Longbottoms moved to the other side of the room and spoke quietly. When they returned, both Harry and Neville had big grins. Even Augusta Longbottom was smiling.

Now Hermione was very curious. She would have to get him alone after dinner before Hannah arrived for the sleepover.