Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Different Universe by dunuelos
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Different Universe

dunuelos

Harry considered all that he had been told by his "other self". His other self had been in love with Ginny Weasley, and Ron and Hermione had been moving toward a relationship.

Apparently, in THAT universe, the people around him were as they appeared to be. Hermione was in love with Ron; Ginny was in love with him; Dumbledore wanted him to succeed; the Weasleys could be trusted; Snape was on his side but had to appear to be "Death Eater Incarnate".

However, in his own universe -- this universe -- the Weasleys were conniving; Dumbledore was an illegal jailor; he was being lied to; Hermione wanted him and not Ron.

Hermione. Now there was a name that brought a skip to his heart and the blood to his face, as well as other, less obvious parts.

He thought about his life. Obviously, he wasn't safe. Vernon Dursley, in direct contradiction to the "warning" from the Order, was being vicious and vindictive. The Weasels, apparently with Dumbledick's support, had something up their sleeves. Dumbles was keeping him in Durzkaban with some agenda.

He decided he needed to keep his head low and survive tomorrow before he sprung himself, with Dobby's help, and got himself in a better position.

First thing, act submissive and complete all the slave labor ... um, "chores" ... with minimum fuss. "Aunt" Marge, evil bitch extraordinaire number 3 (Bellatrix Lestrange and Dolores Umbridge were numbers 1 and 2 on his list) would be here the day after tomorrow, and his corpulent uncle wanted things perfect.

As long as he was out of here before she arrived, he would be happy.

Second thing, contact Tonks and Remus courtesy of Dobby express and fill them in. Apparently, according to ... well, himself ... these two apparently could be trusted.

Third thing, get himself to Gringott's early. Set things up so that he could prepare himself and contingency plans if things went pear-shaped.

Fourth thing, get Snape actually sounded out by asking Tonks to make some comments, with Remus watching on. Tonks could prattle on, and Remus could watch for reactions. He needed an ally at Hogwarts, and unfortunately, Severus Snape might be his best bet. Minerva McGonagall, until he could get some help verifying where she stood, was too risky.

Fifth, and most important, get himself to Hermione's. Apparently, she felt for him how he felt for her. And if love was the power he-knows-not, this was his best bet. He admitted to himself that his reasons for exploring this direction included a bit of teenage hormones. He would never disrespect Hermione, but he would love to be her plaything if he had a chance.

He would have to think of other plans as he finished his chores.


Albus Dumbledore mused upon his plans for the wizarding world.

His weapon was tucked away safely, isolated from outside contact. His chosen scapegoat ... err, the evil Dark Lord of the age ... had been damaged in his attempt to possess his weapon. This fortuitous event allowed Albus some time to prepare his next step to glory.

The interfering Sirius Black had been fortunately ... umm, unfortunately ... lost in the events which revealed to the world that Tom Riddle had indeed been returned to a corporeal form. He was of two minds about that.

He was ecstatic that one of the major obstacles to his plans had been eliminated. He was not happy that his sublime Order had been exposed to such a degree.

Although he really didn't need most of them, there was definite propaganda value to being the "leader of the resistance" and appearing to hold the "moral high ground". This he had learned in his conflict with his old lover Gellert.

When one wants to be the leader, one had to have something to lead. And if one could use this resource without prying eyes -- until the right time -- one could accomplish much out of the view of those that could interfere.

He would have to arrange something. Although Fudge was in hot water over Tom's return, Fudge no longer had the resources necessary to stay in power. He had left Fudge in position because he was tractable. The whole "conflict" of the year before had been part of his plan to make himself look like the savior that he really wanted the wizarding world to view him as.

He had NOT taken into account Fudge sending in his most vicious lackey.

Madam Umbridge had been an unfortunate choice as far as his plans went. If the Ministry had sent anyone else, he would not be in the position he was in. He had been hoping for someone that would concentrate on himself and not his weapon. This was so that when he DID prove himself the more "righteous" his image would be boosted beyond his already lofty position.

His plan had backfired to a degree as Madam Umbridge had concentrated on his weapon, recognizing that Albus himself would be damaged by this. When the "sewing club" had been exposed, Albus had recognized an opportunity.

When he realized that Harry had inadvertently put him almost exactly back where he needed to be, his pleasure had been almost impossible to hide. Of course he had used this almost overwhelming emotion to foster the illusion he had been "touched" by the boy's support, and this had worked splendidly.

In truth, he didn't care one whit about how he increased his influence and power, only so long as it WAS increased. Albus had used the name "Dumbledore's Army" to place himself at the opposite end to the obvious evil of the woman.

The "almost" in "almost back where he needed to be" meant that he had to flee the scene. But to such a person as himself, this was a small obstacle, if properly handled. However, the boy left to his own devices had inadvertently thrown a wrench into his plan.

The unfortunate result of this was that the boy's image was currently unassailable and there was too much positive feelings for him from the sheep ... err, the wizarding public ... and this could give the boy too much influence if he attempted to break out on his own.

THAT was something that couldn't be left alone. He needed to distract the public for long enough to ensure his position with the boy. But what could he do?

It came to him. He would kill two birds with one stone.

He went to the floo in his office, and placed a pinch of floo powder in the fire. He put his head in and called out, "Severus! To my office please!"


Albus watched as his pawn moved into the office. This pawn took delicate handling to ensure that the results he desired were the results achieved.

"Severus, please have a seat." Severus Snape sat quietly in front of the headmaster. "I need to know what the current situation is with Tom."

Snape thought a moment. "He is currently recuperating from the conflict at the Ministry of Magic. He will be indisposed for possibly another 2 to 3 days. His followers in the Ministry of Magic are being directed to pull resources from Azkaban Prison so that he may take advantage of the lapse. I was planning on bringing this up at the Order meeting tonight, so that the members of the Order that are Aurors could be informed."

"Well my boy, it might be best if I planted the information with the Ministry and we did not needlessly involve the Order members that could not do much about this. I will ensure that our members that need to know are kept in the loop. Is there anything else?"

"He has currently placed several members on alert for anything that aid in his attempts against his nemesis. It is being assumed, by Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy, that Sirius Black did not have opportunity to update his will and if he did, they could contest the will as Draco is the closest blood relative. As such, they are assuming that my godson will inherit. They plan on encouraging the boy to take the Mark to ensure that the resources are made available for the Dark Lord's plans."

"Ah, yes. It is most unfortunate that Mr. Black was not in a position to do more. Unfortunately, his will prior to his incarceration was inadvertently destroyed along with the Potters' wills and I do not believe he had opportunity to submit another will beyond the one he wrote when he first escaped Azkaban." Here Albus took on a sad look. "His closest relative not currently disowned IS young Mr. Malfoy. Mr. Potter, unfortunately, is not related sufficiently to take control of that house. It would be best if Draco was dissuaded from taking the Mark."

"I have attempted to do so at every opportunity. However, as you are aware, I must be cautious in my wording. The Dark Lord must not be aware of my own position on this."

"Yes, and I do appreciate the danger you place yourself in. I would like to prepare for the next step."

Here Severus looked alert.

"I would like you to pass on some misdirection. Tell Tom that I am worried about Amelia Bones becoming the next Minister."

Severus Snape took on a thunderous look. "I do not think that would be wise. Madam Bones is the only person in authority who is not a complete dunderhead. She alone was the deciding factor in Potter's acquittal last summer. Of this you are aware. If we place too much scrutiny on her, he might decide to attack her."

"I understand, my boy. I will be ensuring that she is informed of Tom's increased interest in her and I am sure that she will be protected sufficiently. I only need to distract Tom for a short time to ensure attention is kept away from Mr. Potter. There is currently too much interest in him, and a story of the valiant defense of Madam Bones would bring hope to the wizarding public." Albus looked upon his pawn with complete equanimity.

Albus was well aware what Tom Riddle's response would be. He needed the woman eliminated as she was one of the only hurdles left in managing the situation as he needed it to be. It would be unfortunate, but the death of Madam Amelia Bones would ensure that sufficient attention was taken away from Mr. Potter as well as his Order. It would also ensure that no one in the Ministry would be left in authority that might be in a position to forestall his control of his weapon. That must be avoided at all cost.

Severus Snape did not seem mollified. "Some things are far too risky."

Dumbledore responded calmly, "Here. I will complete the missive and send it off with Fawkes before you leave the office." Dumbledore wrote a letter to Amelia, stating that his informant within the Death Eaters was aware of an increased interest in her and that she needed to ensure she had sufficient security in the interest of the secure future of the wizarding world. He handed over the missive and allowed Snape to peruse it.

Severus Snape nodded his head and gave the parchment back to Dumbledore. Dumbledore called out to Fawkes. The bird flew majestically from the perch that he had placed control runes on so long ago. "Fawkes, I am sure you were listening. I need to ensure this message gets to where it needs to go." Dumbledore sent a mental image to the bird to drop the letter in the nearest active volcano.

Fawkes nodded his head and then flamed out of the office.

"Is that sufficient, Severus?" Snape nodded his head curtly. "Please go place the plan in motion and I will see to it that you are accounted for at the meeting tonight."

Snape nodded his head and then walked out of the office, to complete the instructions that he was given. He only hoped that Madam Bones took the threat seriously.

Dumbledore sat back in his seat and allowed a smirk to form on his lips. His plan was forming nicely.

Dumbledore really only made one mistake and this mistake was one that would contribute to his plans failing spectacularly.

In the aftermath of the events at the Ministry of Magic, he had failed to notice that Harry's tantrum upon being locked into the office had included some damage to the control runes that Albus had placed on Fawkes's perch. Harry's magic had damage the binding rune on his control array and Albus could not now that Fawkes was heading toward one Harry James Potter with information that he needed to be aware of.

Fawkes had gradually woken up to the slavery that he had been subjected to. He had listened in to some of the old codger's plans and decided that he would hide the loss of control from the human who had fallen so far.

It would be a different master that he would serve, and his new master would need all the help he could get.


Hermione thought about her earlier visitor.

She had been informed by an older Harry that her friend was being manipulated by those that he trusted. This really boiled her blood.

Harry had given so much to these people that such actions were unconscionable. He had saved the lives of almost every one of them at one point or another, and the idea that they were using him -- and herself -- was really making her upset.

She had begun making plans. She wanted to help get Harry out from under the control of those people.

It had helped that apparently somewhere something had sent a messenger that had allowed them to learn the truth. And that this messenger was apparently an older version of the boy she loved so much had been a bonus.

She admitted to herself that the older version was just as attractive in his own way as Harry was himself. If she was honest with herself, she would have to admit that the thought of either of them really made her tingle in places that one didn't talk about in polite company.

After she had gotten permission to have her friend visit and sent the message off with the Traveler, she had retired to her room to take care of her own personal needs. Her research on what to do next would have to wait for a bit. First she would have to spend some time with the gifts her mother had surreptitiously given her for her 15th birthday -- although she had to wait until she had gotten home for the following Christmas break to actually receive them.

She and her mother had a close relationship, and her mother recognized that her daughter was growing up. They discussed things that some would consider inappropriate. Hermione really didn't have many close friends that she felt comfortable talking about these things with, and as a result she treasured the open and honest relationship she had with her mother.

They talked about the things that Hermione had experienced in Hogwarts. Her mother had been worried of course, but recognized that Hermione was her own person and would live her life as she saw fit.

They had many frank discussions regardingthe different aspects to relationships and what could be done between two willing partners. She had been embarrassed for a bit after they had discussed alternate activities that a couple could engage in. She almost couldn't look her father in the face after one such discussion.

To be perfectly honest, the subject of these talks excited her imagination. She was a teenage girl with hormones. She put the "proper" persona on for her interactions with others her age, but in fact she was very interested in the things that one could do with the right boy.

Her mother, for her birthday, had purchased some toys for her. One, which didn't require electricity, she could take with her to Hogwarts. She had named this one "Harry" as she had the most opportunity to play with this one. The other one, the one that she could not use at Hogwarts as electricity didn't work as well in the presence of magic, she had named "Potter".

She decided she needed some time with "Potter" before she continued her research.


Harry sat in his room, thinking about things, brooding for a bit. All of a sudden, he noticed the flaming bird that arrived just in front of him. He saw the missive that it held and asked, "A message for me?"

Fawkes shook his head and looked at him straight in the eye. He played back the conversation he had observed in the office of the whiskered fool and the message that Dumbles had given to him when he sent him with the letter. Only THEN did Fawkes hand him the message to look over.

Harry swore softly as he considered what Fawkes apparently wanted him to know. After Fawkes had trilled softly and rubbed his head against Harry, he calmed down enough to ask, "Why are you telling me? Aren't you the Headmaster's familiar?"

Fawkes let out a slightly discordant sound. He looked into Harry's eyes again and showed him the information on the control runes that Dumbledore had used on him to trap him in his service. He showed Harry the damage that had been done to the runes by Harry and then sent a message of gratitude for his inadvertent aid to freeing Fawkes from the control of the manipulate old man.

Harry looked at the bird and said, "Although it was an accident, you're welcome. Anything to interfere with him I am perfectly happy with."

Fawkes trilled softly.

"So, what should I do? I would like to warn Madam Bones, as she might be my best hope of getting back some control. But if I sent the message with you, she might get the idea that Dumbledore was helping her. Let me think for a moment." Fawkes waited patiently for the small human to come to his own conclusions. The boy's face lit with a thought.

"What would you say to me writing the information to her instead of Dumbles? I'll send it with my friend the house elf and you can drop that message in a volcano as he asked. You tell him you did it and show him the memory and he won't know anyone else knows. How does that sound?"

Fawkes trilled softly in agreement and flapped his wings to show his excitement.

"Ok, let me look at this again and write out the message." Harry took a piece of parchment and wrote out the message for Amelia Bones and then read it to Fawkes. Fawkes bobbed his head. "Okay. Here goes. Dobby!"

Dobby popped in front of Harry with a hopeful look in his eyes. "Dobby comes. Does young master need his help?"

"Look Dobby, I am your friend. It would be perfectly acceptable to me for you to think of me as your friend rather than your master. But to answer your question, yes. I need your help. I also need Winky's help. Do you think you can get her to come here?"


Amelia Bones looked up to see a strange house elf in front of her holding a letter out for her to read. Standing beside the elf was another elf, female.

She was a bit shocked to be perfectly frank. House elves normally did not allow themselves to be seen by anyone outside of their chosen family.

She took the letter and thanked the small creature. The message shocked her just a bit.

"Madam Bones,

I hope this letter finds you in good health.

I send this letter to warn you of an impending attack by Voldemort against your person. Through various means, I have learned that someone has decided that you are in the way of their plans and have taken steps to betray you to your death.

I find that I cannot just let this be. As one of the only sane members of the Ministry, I feel your survival is important to the future of the wizarding world. To counter these plans, I have asked one of the elves recently come into my service to watch out for you. She will offer her oath as necessary that she in no way intends to harm you.

Winky has been ordered to stay with you invisibly until your safety is ensured. She needs permission from you to take you away from danger if your life is threatened. She cannot help you without this permission.

I know that you also worry for your niece, Susan.

I have told another elf, Dobby, that he must come if you or Susan call to him. Please give him permission to move her to safety should the worst happen and you are attacked. I do not believe she is in as much danger as yourself. But to be safe, I have told him that her safety is his primary concern for the time being and that getting her to safety shall take precedence over any activity I might have him engaged in at the time he might be called.

Dobby is a powerful elf, and has saved my life in the past, even before he came into my service. He put one of Voldemort's inner circle, his former master Lucius Malfoy that I freed him from, on his arse when the fool attempted to send a killing curse my way.

You should have no worries as to his loyalty or your safety if you agree to this.

I have also asked him to tell you any information that he can of as regards the ponce. Dobby spent years in service to the man and knows of many things that he was involved in. He cannot divulge, by the nature of house elf magic, information directly regarding Lucius from that time, but he CAN divulge information as regards others that he has seen -- for example our favorite Minister, Cornelius Fudge.

I think you might enjoy a conversation with Dobby and I know Dobby would be more than happy to have such a talk.

I only ask that you keep the information on the elves to yourself. Please do not let anyone, even those that you might think are my friends and allies, be aware that I have aided you in this way. At some point, I will tell you why this must be. It is too long for a letter. I will say this: Please keep information as regards myself between you, me, these elves and Gringott's as necessary. Anyone else, even those you might feel are trustworthy or that have my best interest in mind, must be kept in the dark as much as possible.

With Best Regards,

Harry Potter"

The Director of Magical Law Enforcement looked at the two elves in front of her, and reflected on the fact that Harry Potter was truly a generous person.

She settled in for a nice chat with the small creatures in front of her.