Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Different Universe by dunuelos
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Different Universe

dunuelos

Albus Dumbledore was incensed. Apoplectic. Enraged. In other words, Albus Dumbledore was not happy.

Having read in the paper that Amelia Bones had been attacked, he was disappointed to find that not only had she survived a direct attack upon her property by Tom Riddle, she was not even injured. When he had inquired as to what had happened, he had found that not only had she survived, she was completely unscathed.

He decided he had to investigate.

As he flooed to the Ministry of Magic, he was met with mass confusion. He quickly made his way to the DMLE.

"Ah, Auror Church. It's so good to see you. I was curious as to what you can tell me about last night."

"Hello, Headmaster. Sorry, it's a bit hectic. Last night there were attacks in Kent by Giants."

"Yes, yes. Some of my friends responded to the attack. Can you tell me what happened fully?"

"Well, last night we got word right before two in the morning that there were Giants. Unfortunately, the call came right after a few of the on-duty Aurors were off checking a report of a Death Eater in Ottery St Catchpole. There are a few Ministry employees that live in the area, so the report was considered a higher priority.

"When the call came in about Kent, every Auror that could be contacted was sent to Kent to help fight off the attacks. The Giants were laying about, attacking automobiles, buildings, bridges, and every muggle they could get their hands on."

"Oh, yes. Quite unfortunate. Was Amelia involved in that?"

"Actually, she's the one who sent the report to us. Seems she got a tip from someone. Anyway, she was attacked separately by you-know-who."

"Do you know of the result of that attack?"

"Apparently she had a couple of other Aurors with her. I also heard," and here Auror Church looked around to make sure they weren't overheard, "Harry Potter was involved."

Dumbledore masked his irritation. He knew Harry was involved somehow; Harry was involved with everything. What he didn't know was where Harry was. He would have to contact Alastor to find out if he had inspected Privet yet.


The people in the house slept until late in the morning. It had been a long night for Harry. After he and Hermione had gone to bed, he had to spend an additional hour consoling her about not having been present, even though it had all worked out. He was coming more and more to realize that she refused to stay behind again. He would have to talk to Robert and Emma about it.

Susan had awoken to find the Bones' house elf standing next to her bed with a letter. Thanking Tipi, she took it and began to read.

"Dear Susan,

"As Harry probably told you last night, all is well with me and no one was hurt in the attack. If you're still worried, don't be. I am now surrounded by a large number of off-duty Aurors who refuse to let me go anywhere without 6 bodyguards.

"Something you should learn when you have people who work for you: The boss works just as much or more for his underlings. When they agree on things, it is very hard to say no. The only reason that you are not surrounded by an additional 4 Aurors yourself is that you are under Harry's protection when you are not with me. My people agreed that he was more than sufficient to make sure that you were protected. Especially after they weaseled out of me that he had been at the house last night and was the one that had actually driven Voldemort and Bellatrix Lestrange off.

"Unfortunately, Bones Manor was damaged a bit in the attack. Much better it was the house than the people, though.

"So, until things are settled down over the attacks last night (there was also an attack in Kent) you will stay with him. I have written a letter to him as well, letting him know what is happening. Besides, I am sure that between you, his friend Hermione and yourself, you can find sufficient things to keep you amused. See if Harry will invite Hannah Abbott over as well. Then again, with three against one, he might not be TOO keen on that.

"I will regularly have Tipi take messages back and forth between us to make sure you know what is happening.

"Keep safe and I love you.

"Aunt Amelia"

Once she did her morning routine, Susan made her way down to the ground floor to see about getting something to eat. The scene she came across, she had to admit, was vastly amusing.

Hermione and her parents were sitting at the table watching Harry and two house elves argue about who was supposed to be cooking. Harry apparently was attempting to make lunch for all the residents, but Winky, his female house elf, was adamant about doing it herself. The male house elf, Dobby, was rushing around doing all of the small jobs that were necessary for making a meal while the two were distracted.

Finally Harry bowed to Winky and presented her with the spatula and then made his way over to the table. Hermione's commented as he sat down , "Are you sure that you can't convince her to let you or mum do it?"

Harry looked at her incredulously and said, "Be my guest and give it a try," and then pointed Hermione toward a smugly satisfied house elf.

Hermione looked at Winky and said, "No. It's alright. I'll take your word for it."

The Grangers and Susan laughed. Harry was grinning at her and Hermione's face was a bit sheepish.

As the group chatted, an owl delivering the Daily Prophet came in the window. They gathered round to see what was said in the paper.

GIANTS ATTACK IN KENT: Ministry Obliviaters Out in Force

Early this morning, in Kent England, muggles found themselves face to face with giants attacking homes and structures with apparent zeal. The Queen Elizabeth II Bridge was damaged significantly, and only by the heroic efforts of several witches and wizards were no muggles killed when it collapsed. A spokesman for the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee on hand had this to say: ....

DIRECTOR OF DMLE SURVIVES ATTACK FROM HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED

Anonymous sources from within the Ministry confirm that Amelia Bones, Director of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, was attacked at her home early this morning. She, along with other unnamed Aurors, were involved in ....

IS FUDGE THE MINISTER WE NEED?

Several members of the Wizengamot have gone on record to ask if Cornelius Fudge, embattled Minister of Magic, has the necessary skills to lead in the fight against the Death Eaters and the Dark Lord that leads them. Readers might recall ....


By the end of lunch, plans had been made for the rest of the day as well as for later in the week.

Harry had sent Hedwig off to Gringott's to arrange to complete the review and paperwork on his parents' wills. Robert and Emma had agreed to go with him on Friday to offer advice. Susan was invited along if she was still around, as well as Hannah if she was visiting. Emma and Robert were thrilled to host more friends, regardless of the reasons.

The two dentists had also brought up their annual vacation that was planned for later in the month. Since Hermione was an only child, the two made sure that three weeks each summer were devoted to spending time with her. This had been the case since she was a very young girl. They had planned on visiting the continent, but they felt that it was too close to the troubles of the UK.

As a result, the plans had changed to a trip across the pond. The Granger parents were planning on a road trip from Niagra Falls in New York, west through several states and then north through portions of Michigan, cross over to Canada, which was a part of the commonwealth they had never visited, east back to Niagra Falls and then to spend the last week in New York City proper seeing the sights.

Admittedly it was ambitious, but it was far different from what they were used to, and as a vacation that was always the goal -- have fun while experiencing new things.

Harry was enthusiastic to see things that he had not seen before and to him, it sounded quite brilliant. He agreed to ask Gringott's about getting a passport.

After the Grangers left to work for the afternoon, the three teenagers spent the time working on the rest of their summer homework. Susan admitted that she had not finished all of her work on Potions and Transfiguration, and Hermione volunteered to help her with some of it. They also spent a portion of the time walking around Hermione's neighborhood, seeing the area she had grown up in. The park, Harry noted, was much nicer than the one in Little Whinging.

After dinner, Harry and Susan were introduced to Star Wars. Needless to say, Harry felt a lot of empathy for Luke Skywalker.


Tom Riddle, AKA Lord Voldemort, AKA He-Who-Must-Be-Named, AKA You-Know-Who, made ready for his followers presence. Using Wormtail's Dark Mark, the call went out.

Very shortly the Death Eaters were quietly kneeling in front of their Lord who sat upon his throne in a most stoic manner, not looking at any one of them.

When the last of his followers arrived, he said very quietly, "I have been betrayed."

Gasps could be heard around the room.

"Early this morning, plans were made to alleviate a major obstacle to my achieving ultimate power. Plans were made which should have resulted in the death of this obstacle. My most vicious lieutenant, however, was injured. I was thwarted. And why, you may ask?"

He coldly looked around the room. He saw the outrage on their faces. He saw the mild look of revulsion on the face of Severus Snape and assumed that the idea of betrayal was repugnant to him. He then saw a death eater who was nervous. Ahhh, time for an example.

"Somehow they were warned. Somehow preparations were made which prevented me from my goal. This is unacceptable." He paused once again, before calling out, "CRUCIO!" The Death Eater in the back of the room started convulsing under the pain of the curse. The others assumed that Voldemort was punishing the guilty party.

After a minute, Voldemort released the man from the curse. "There is a lesson to be learned. The lesson is thus: Betrayal will bring repercussions. Avada Kadavra!" Voldemort looked over his followers, seeing them properly cowed at the demonstration. "Get that thing out of my sight. Know that I am displeased and that is the price of my displeasure. Soon you will be called again, and I would expect that you will all ensure that I am not displeased when the next operations are begun. Now, leave me! Except Severus. I have a task for you." Two other low level lackies grabbed the body and took it out to the garbage trench. The rest of the Death Eaters respectfully backed out of the room before making haste to get away before it was decided that they needed punishment.

Voldemort was quite aware that it was highly unlikely that there had actually be a betrayal. It was why he had not taken the time and energy to actually verify that the nameless follower had actually betrayed him. The purpose of the demonstration was not to root out treachery. The purpose was to create a scapegoat.

Since the week before, his energy levels which had previously been unmatched had taken a swift dive. He was well aware that he no longer had the connection that he had created to the sniveling brat. Although he was more powerful than any one Death Eater, he no longer had the stamina that he had enjoyed since returning to a body. It was worrisome to him. He finally realized that Potter had unknowingly supplied the recharge potential he had enjoyed, and he no longer had that avenue.

He would have to push back his large scale plans to research power-increasing methods. He could not afford to show weakness to his followers. His inner circle, outside of Bellatrix and Severus, would have to stay in Azkaban until he was more prepared. It required careful handling -- enough bribes to keep them from facing trial and not enough bribes to get them released.

Finally, all had left except one lone figure still kneeling before him. "Severus. I will require information on Lucius's son. What was the result of his summons to the Bank run by those vermin?"

"I have a letter from young Malfoy detailing it. May I present it to you?" Voldemort nodded and Snape approached subserviently.

He opened the letter to read what young Draco had written.

"My Lord,

"I write this to report the result of the Will reading for the Blood Traitor, Sirius Black.

"First, the attendees included, other than your loyal followers of myself, my mother and Severus Snape, mainly blood traitors and mudbloods. The muggle loving fool was there with his loyal dogs by the name of Weasley, Potter, Granger, the bitch who used to be my aunt before she was disowned as well as her spawn, and McGonagall.

"The treacherous Black took steps to prevent full knowledge from being made known. Oaths had to be taken to prevent information from being disseminated. However, I kept my oath limited to the bare requirements so that I could report as much as possible to you as I am loyal to your mission.

"As a result, I can tell you the following: The muggle-loving fool was treated as a traitor by Black. He was left with 30 sickles and a deranged house elf. I do not know the reason for the amount as it is a muggle thing and as such is beneath me, but it was obvious that Dumbledore knew of the reference.

"The Weasleys refused to swear an Oath of loyalty to Potter. As a result, they were limited to a measly few thousand galleons, not enough to make a difference in their impoverished lives. They deserve their suffering.

"Gifts were made to the Auror department at the Ministry, but the control of funds has been kept out of their hands. As a result, I can see no way to divert funds to your coffers. Unfortunately, even my father and mother would be unable to. I hope Black is suffering in whatever existence he currently has for this slight against you.

"The blood traitor who I refuse to acknowledge as related to me was reclaimed into the House of Black. She received some jewels and some galleons. Her spawn received the same.

"I was forced to swear an oath to prevent certain things from being known. By what is left out, I hope that you may deduce the information.

"Now, as to the House of Black and its vast resources: apparently the mutt used a ritual to adopt a distant cousin as his recognized issue. As a result, the Headship of House Black is still held by a blood traitor.

"My mother and myself were conditionally gifted with very significant resources but the requirements make my blood boil: I must not carry your mark or enter your service directly, and this must be verified by Veritaserum and inspection on my 20th birthday.

"My desire to bring resources and glory to your cause is hindered by the conditions set. If I violate these conditions, the money goes to those that would attempt to thwart you.

"I await your instructions. If you ask it, I will renounce the Black name as the conditions are something I cannot agree to. I would be your loyal follower. The result of the resources that would come to your enemies in this case would be a sacrifice, but I ask you as my Lord and Master to instruct me in your wishes.

"My mother, having been dictated similar conditions, also awaits your instructions.

"Your ever loyal servant,

"Draco Malfoy"

Voldemort considered the missive in front of him. He finally looked at Severus. "Are you aware of the contents of this letter?"

"No, my Lord. Draco only said he must ask for your instructions."

Voldemort considered the letter he had received as well as how to get around the requirements. The sad fact was that he needed resources, and as a result he needed the Malfoys. "Our young Dragon has explained the limitations placed by the blood traitor Black. As a result, you will do the following: You will swear an oath to me that you will not use Draco Malfoy against me or allow him to work against me. You will then bind young Malfoy to you by oath. I would not have the resources he mentioned fall to those that are against me. You will then direct him as I order. Do you understand?"

"Yes, My Lord."

"Before you get any idea of betraying me, Crucio!" Severus Snape felt the curse for a moment before it was released.

A short time later he was making his way back to Hogwarts. He would not violate his oath. He would not knowingly allow Draco to work against Voldemort, nor direct Draco against him. He would bind Draco to him by Oath. He worked on the wording of the Oath as a logic puzzle as he traveled. I, Draco Malfoy, give Magical Oath that I will not inform Severus Snape of any actions I take against the Dark Lord Voldemort, nor allow others to be aware of any actions. Penalty for the breaking of this Oath shall result in the loss of Magical currency in the amount of 1 Knut to Severus Snape, deposited in a Jar without his knowledge.

Perhaps Narcissa would consent to witness the Oath. Yes, his Oath to Voldemort was VERY limiting, he smirked to himself. He would have to carefully not know anything.


Alastor Moody arrived at Hogwarts shortly after the evening meal. He made his way to Dumbledore's office, ready to give his report. Dumbledore was very interested in it.

"I inspected the house where the boy's relatives live. I found that certain rooms have been warded against magical sight. His bedroom, the kitchen, as well as other places he would be likely to be. I noticed that there was a cupboard under the stairs that was also warded against magical sight. Maybe that's where he keeps his things."

Albus was relieved. The specific warding seemed to indicate that young Harry was present as there was no other reason for such specific locations to be warded. "Was there anything else you saw?"

"After I was at Privet, I decided that I needed to make sure he wasn't somewhere else. So I decided to check out that girlie's house -- the Granger girl that he seems to be friends with. I took a look and didn't see anything that indicated he was there, but I then remembered the others that had gone with him to the Ministry, as well as Bones. I decided to check each one as much as I could without being detected."

"Ah, a very wise move. What did you find?"

"The Lovegoods are out of the country on some trip to find some creature and won't be back. The Longbottom boy was harder to check out as his Grandmother has made sure the place was warded much better than others. However, I finally saw him spending time in a greenhouse out back. He appeared to be alone and there was no indication that there was anyone else around. I assume the Weasleys would tell you if he was there. I then went to Bones Manor, and that was where things got strange."

"Oh, how so?"

"Well, I am keyed into the wards there as I was one of Bones's partners when she was a junior Auror. So instead of not being seen, I decided for the direct approach. When I got there, there was significant spell damage to the front of the house, and somehow the wall closest to the edge of the wards was changed into stone."

Albus looked confused. "What would cause that?"

"I would have said a Duro charm, but that's limited to smaller objects than a wall. The front wall is 20 feet tall and 60 feet wide and about 15 feet on either side of the door was stone. The power it would take to do that would be beyond anyone I know of, even you or the Dark bastard. I could have done the door and may be a window frame, you could probably have gotten 4 more feet beside the door. But changing 30 feet across and 20 feet up and down means that it was something else. Either a number of Duro charms from different people or it was a different procedure altogether. I'll have to ask Amelia when I get a chance."

Albus sighed to himself. He just wanted Alastor to get one with it. Normally he would be very interested, but he wanted answers. "I see, well, go on. What else did you find?"

"I knocked on the door and got no answer. Not even the house elf. So that means no one was about. I got myself inside after making sure there were traps on the back door -- the front was stone and it wouldn't open. There was a room inside that was warded much more heavily than the rest of the house, and I wasn't keyed in to those wards. Having been there before, I know it's a family room, but I don't know why it was warded so heavily. Couldn't see into it and I didn't want to take a chance there were any curses built into the wards. Probably a last line of defense. I looked around and couldn't find any indication Potter spent any time at the Manor, so I don't think he's been there."

Dumbledore thanked Alastor and dismissed him after admonishing him to keep an eye out for information.

He carefully considered Alastor's report. Madam Bones had apparently been prepared for an attack against her home. As this was a dark time, it wasn't really that surprising. None of Harry's other close friends appeared to have him as a guest, and the warding at Privet would indicate he was there. He looked over to the shelf and saw the damaged monitor for the blood ward. Possibly it was still present and the monitor alone was damaged. It was a slim chance. He would have to inspect the scene himself. The monitor for the tracking charm on his owl, the only device that was still working, showed that it was still on Privet somewhere.

If there were additional wards placed, that would explain why it didn't seem to be at Number Four. He was not prepared to face young Harry quite yet. Perhaps leaving him at his relatives' tender mercies (Albus smirked to himself at this phrase) would ensure he would be motivated to trust him again if he took him away from there.

It was time to get the Weasleys to work on mending fences.