Unofficial Portkey Archive

14 Days and 14 Nights by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

14 Days and 14 Nights

Harrys Mistress

Chapter 11

Ron lingered in the water after Hermione had dragged her wet, dripping, self out of the pool, and trotted inside. He wanted a moment to enjoy the pool all to himself, since he knew it wouldn't be long before someone came down.

He tossed his white shirt over his head, flung it aside, and it landed with a hard plop by the pool's edge. Then, with his pajama pants still securely on, he lazily pushed himself off the side of the wall and floated peacefully on his back. He smiled up at the brilliantly blue sky, listened to the distant sound of the waves crashing below, and was happier than he'd been in a long time.

That empty void in his heart that was always there when he was apart from his friends was now filled. So filled in fact, that it seemed his heart might burst from it. He had missed his friends-fiercely-but at the same time it was what he needed. It was what all three of them needed. A year to focus on themselves. A year to find out who they truly were and what they wanted in life. It had taken him awhile to realize that.

Sure, he could hold a grudge. He could spend the next few days doing his best to make them feel incredibly guilty. He could make them swim in their guilt, until they all but drowned in it. And he knew that neither of them would blame him for it.

But what would that prove? Why waste even a single moment holding a grudge or pushing them away? They couldn't go back and fix it and even if they did have a time-turner handy, he wouldn't want them to. He wouldn't change a thing that happened to him in the past year. Not one bloody thing, because it lead him right here. And he wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

They had a good talk, he thought as he gave a hard kick with his legs to keep him afloat. It was nice to know that even after a year of separation, they were still best friends. It was as if the year never happened and they were right back to square one. Well, maybe not all the way back.

Was he meant to be with Hermione? Or were they destined to only be friends? He wasn't quite sure, but found himself being okay with either option. How funny was that? There was a time he couldn't imagine being with anyone else but her.

The kiss they shared moments ago was light and friendly, but wouldn't he still have felt something? A tingle or…a stirring in his belly? Anything? Their first kiss was like that, but that was right in the middle of the war, and knowing that they might not survive probably added to the excitement of the kiss. And after, during those few weeks before she left, she was more friend than girlfriend, but in a way that was what he needed.

Especially during Fred's funeral. She never left his side, neither did Harry. They stood on either side of him holding his hand while he watched his brother be put to rest. He didn't think he could have survived that day without them.

And Luna, he thought with a soft smile. She had been there with her father, lingering in the back during the ceremony. But afterwards, when he went into the kitchen for a moment to himself, Luna was there, waiting for him. He had said her name, that was all he could say and then in the next moment, she was in his arms.

"I'm sorry, Ronald…I'm so sorry." Those soft, soothing words, had simply shattered him. He fought it at first, like he always did, like he did during the ceremony with his best friends on either side of him. But he couldn't push the tears back with Luna, nor would she let him.

"No, don't fight it," she said as she held him tighter when he shifted to pull away. "It's just you and me…no one else."

Then, it was him who held her tight, as he finally released the tears he had yet to shed, but desperately needed to. He never cried in front of anyone before, not like this, not with this much magnitude, but he couldn't help it. He simply broke down as he gripped onto her like a second lifeline. He remembered thinking he couldn't get close enough to her, even if he crawled himself inside her, it wouldn't be enough.

She had held him, consoled him, while he cried and cried until he was all but emptied out. And when the last tear was shed, when his body had stopped shaking, she simply pulled back and kissed him on the cheek. "I'll let you get back to your family," she had said and started to walk out.

He reached out behind him and grabbed her wrist, but didn't turn towards her. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Ronald."

And then she was gone and as soon as he got his bearings, he went back out to join his friends and family. He had looked for her, but never saw her again until yesterday when they were on the boat together. He hadn't spoken about what went between them. It had been so good to see her, he didn't think about it at the time.

He thought of it now and on a sigh he sunk himself into the water before making his way to the edge of the pool. He had to thank her again, he decided as he pushed himself out of the water and then shook himself like a dog. She needed to know that even though more than a year had past, he'd never forgotten what she had done for him that miserable day in his family's kitchen.

He grabbed his heavy, drenched shirt and wrung it out before making his way back into the house. He needed to go up and actually put on a swimsuit before coming back down and later, when he could get her alone, he'd sit down and talk with her.

And with that in mind, he quickened his pace and flew up the back stairs, since it was closer to his bedroom than the main staircase, and as he reached the top, he rounded the corner, and all but ran into Luna herself.

"Oh!" Luna let out a breathless laugh. "I'm sorry, I-"

"No, my fault," he chuckled as he placed his hands on her arms to steady her. "I was going too fast."

"I'll say. I was just heading down to the pool and-you're wet." She noticed the water dripping down his chest and then frowned at his pajama pants. "Ronald, you're soaked."

"To the bone," he said with a grin. "Hermione and I talked and I decided to end it on a good note by throwing her in the pool fully clothed…I followed suit."

"I see. So…you and Hermione have talked things through?"

"You can say that." He ran a hand through his wet hair. "Actually, I'd like to talk to you if you'd got a moment."

"Of course."

"I just…actually, let's go to my room," he decided as he took her hand and led her to his door. "More private."

Luna was glad she was behind him so he wouldn't see her blush. "All right. Is everything okay?"

"Perfect," he said shooting a grin over his shoulder before opening his door and stepped aside. "After you."

"Thanks." She stepped in and then shook her head at the various clothes that had been tossed about. "Your sister said you were a slob, but I didn't realize it was this serious."

"It's a condition that can't be fixed. I've come to realize that long ago, it's time my sister did the same. Have a seat…ah, just…toss aside any clothes that may be in your way."

"We've only been here barely a day," she said looking around in awe. "How do you manage it?"

"With pure god given talent," he said with a grin, then went over to scoop some clothes on a chair himself. "Sit…I'm just going to dry off and change real quick."

"Take your time," she said as she sat down only to get right back up and with a slight huff, started to pick up his clothes. What was it with men and messiness? She wondered as she started to fold his clothes and then stack them in neat piles on the bed. She probably shouldn't be doing it, and she hoped he wouldn't be mad, but her organized soul couldn't seem to ignore this disaster of a room.

Leaning against the doorjamb of the bathroom, Ron watched her pick up his room with an amused grin on his face. She had her hair pull back in a tail and all that blonde hair curled down the center of her back. She had on a white cover-up that tucked under her arms and exposed her shoulders and legs. He could see the blue straps of her swimsuit peaking out from the cover-up as it swooped up on either side of her neck and then tied securely with a loopy bow at the back of her neck. She looked so cute, he thought as he watched her roll her eyes with annoyance before bending down to grab a sock that had found it's way under a chair.

"You're wasting your time."

She yelped, and the newly folded stack of clothes in her arms, flung up in the air, and then fluttered to the ground. "Blast!"

The laugh rolled out of him as he pushed himself away from the doorjamb and walked over and stopped right in front of her. "Sorry."

She gave him one quick scowl, before laughing herself as she hopelessly shook her head. "No, I'm sorry…I should have left it alone."

"On the contrary," he said watching her scooping up his fallen clothes again and then bent down his self, and picked up an article of clothing. "I don't think there is another woman, besides my mum, that has folded by boxers before." When she just stared and blushed, he laughed again and then took the clothes in her arms and tossed them aside. "C'mon, let's sit."

She let herself be led to the chair again and when she sat, Ron plopped down in its twin that was next to her. "What did you want to talk to me about? Hermione?"

"What? Oh…no. Although, that went very well."

"Have you two…patched up your relationship?"

"Definitely. But not in the way you're thinking, I imagine." He leaned in his cushy chair and stretched out his legs. "We're just friends-for now."

"For now," she repeated slowly. "And are you-okay with this?"

"More than. I'm just glad I'm back together with her…and Harry. As much as I realize the three of us needed some time a part, it didn't change the fact that I missed them."

"Have you spoken to Harry?"

"Not yet…privately, anyways. I suppose we will eventually." After a moment of silence, he leaned up in his chair, resting his forearms on his knees and shifted his body towards hers. "Luna…the last time I saw you-"

"No, don't," she interrupted as she reached out and grabbed a hand. "It was a hard day for you-there's no need to bring it up and-"

"Yes there is," he said firmly as he gripped her hand. "I wanted to thank you."

"You already did when-"

"I want to thank you again," he said, before she could finish as he looked firmly into her eyes. "You made me-let me-do the one thing I needed to do most and that was to fall apart. You were there for me, Luna. When I thought I didn't want, or need, anybody, you were there. And I'll never forget that. I guess I just wanted to let you know."

"Ronald, I…I don't know what to say, I-"

"You don't have to say anything," he said as he squeezed her hand before reluctantly letting go. "And we don't even have to talk about it anymore, but it's just something I wanted-needed- to say to you. You're a good friend, Luna."

Friend. There was that horrible word again that Ron kept bringing up. Friend. Couldn't he see that she could be so much more? "Thank you, Ronald."

He smiled and then stood up and held out his hand. "Why don't we go on down the pool? The water's great-trust me."

She laughed as she got to her feet and then easily snuck into his arms for a hug. "Sounds good to me. And just for the record? You're a good friend, too."

"Thanks, Luna." He then leaned back and held out an arm. "Shall we?"

She smiled as she slipped an arm through his. "We shall."

As he led her out of the room, he noticed her slight wince as they stepped over the pile of clothes he had tossed aside. "Might as well forget it. I'm a lost cause."

-->