Unofficial Portkey Archive

14 Days and 14 Nights by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

14 Days and 14 Nights

Harrys Mistress

Chapter 22

It just kept pulling her under. No matter how hard she kicked and scrambled to the surface, it just kept pulling her under like a vicious invincible force. She now didn't know which way was up and that terrified her. She was so tired-so tired of fighting.

Time to go, she thought as she felt herself sink slowly, slowly into the cold, dark waters. No more. No more.

And wasn't it a surprise, that the one person she thought about as she let herself be taken, was none other than Draco Malfoy. Not Harry Potter. Not her family. It was Draco Malfoy and his handsome scowl and intense gray eyes.

Even when a pair of strong arms enveloped around her body, she still had him in his mind. The way he looked as he stared out into the ocean on the back of the ferry or the way his body felt tangled with hers when he had playfully captured her under water while playing Marco Polo. Just like now, she thought as she felt legs tangle with hers. Just like-

She broke the surface on a gasping breath, coughing and choking as something-or rather someone-kept her afloat.

"I've got you, Red…I've got you."

"Draco."

"Don't talk," his deep voice said over the crashing waves. "I won't let go…try to keep your head above water."

Draco kept his eyes trained on the shore-on the others standing at the surf-as a focal point while he swam as hard as he could while keeping a firm grip on Ginny. He rode the waves when they helped-fought against them when they didn't, but no matter what, he did what he had to do to get Ginny safely to shore.

So scared. So fucking scared when he heard her cry out. Fear had consumed him when he swam out, hoping that he wasn't too late. It had been blind luck when he finally dove down to the surface hoping he gauged the distance right from when he saw her go under. He had almost given up hope when a flash of swirling red caught his eye.

Instead of going up for a quick breath first, he swam towards her-his lungs screaming, his heart racing. He wasn't even sure he would make it, but somehow he was able to grab hold of her and kick them both up to the surface.

That first gulp of air almost burned, but it was a pain he happily welcomed.

The waves were getting rougher the closer he got to shore and they were moments when he couldn't keep Ginny's head above water, but he did everything in his power to re-surface as soon as he could. He was getting closer. Just a little more. "Almost there, Red."

When he felt his toes graze the bottom of the ocean floor, he immediately stood and whipped Ginny's weak body around until he cradled her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face into crook of his shoulder as he dug his feet into the sand, pushing them forward. When a wave crept up on him he would hold her closer, taking as much of the wave as he could, hoping to protect her.

Ron was the first to reach them as he stumbled his way out of the shallow surf. "She's okay," he said and then let out a cough as he felt his knees give way. "Take her-I don't think I can hold her any longer."

"Okay, I-she won't let go," he said with a frown. "She's holding onto you like a death grip."

"She's in shock," he said as he managed to take a few more steps with Ron and now Harry at his side. "She-she has to let go, I can't…"

When he stumbled, Harry swooped in and grabbed Ginny and with some effort, managed to pry her arms away from Draco. "Over here, Harry," Hermione's voice rang out. "We have a towel spread out for her."

Draco crumbled to his hands and knees onto the hard wet sand as he tried to concentrate on his breathing. He closed his eyes as he wheezed and gasped while he waited for the world to stop spinning. When he thought he could manage it, he started to stagger to his feet, but Harry and Ron were suddenly on either side of him-helping him. "Thanks," he said weakly and didn't protest when they both put his arms around them. "Ginny?"

"Hermione and Luna are taking care of her," Ron said as he and Harry helped him up onto the beach.

"My throat is on fire," he said in a scratchy voice. "I must have swallowed a gallon of salt water."

"You and Ginny both," Harry said and then eased him into his chair and then handed him a bottle of water. "It should help."

He took it but didn't open it right away. Instead he leaned back against the chair and closed his eyes. "That was intense."

"You saved my sister." Draco opened his eyes and stared up at him. "I'll never forget it."

Draco looked at his outstretched hand, then back up at him as he reached out and took it. "Go check on her."

Ron gave him a quick nod of understanding, before running back to Ginny.

"Can I get you anything?" Harry asked.

"No." He took his first hesitant sip, winced as he swallowed. "I had it rough-Ginny had it rougher. She needs the help. I'll be fine."

"Okay," he said, understanding his need to be alone he started to walk away, but hesitated. "I didn't think you could make it as an Auror, Malfoy." He paused as Draco lifted his eyes to him. "Despite the change in you, I still didn't think you had enough guts or determination to be an Auror. You just proved me wrong. You risked your life to save someone else-and that's the first sign of a good Auror." He then gestured to the bottle of water in his hand. "Keep drinking."

Draco could do nothing but stare as he watched his ex-arch enemy walk away.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

By the time Ginny was able to get on her feet-with a little help from Luna and Hermione-Draco was nowhere to be seen. "Where's…?"

"He went up," Luna said as they helped her towards the tent. "He probably went to lie down, which you need to do."

"Luna's right," Ron said, who's heart still had yet to calm down from the fear. "You need to rest."

"You girls take her up," Harry said as he picked up the towel Ginny had been on. "Ron and I will pack up and…"

"Oh, don't do that," Ginny protested. "We just got down here and-I don't want the day to be ruined because I was stupid enough swim out so far."

"It's not your fault," Hermione said. "You didn't know."

"Draco warned me," she said and shook her head. "I didn't take him seriously. I don't want to go up-just plop me down in the chair under the tent and I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" Ron asked. "Wouldn't it be better if…"

"I'll be fine," she assured him as she gestured towards the chair. "Let me just relax in the shade for a moment-you guys go out and have fun."

"If that's what you want," Hermione said and then helped her into the chair. "Just…let us know if you need anything."

"I will." She leaned back and closed her eyes. "I'm just going to rest here for a moment."

"Take your time," Harry said as he ran a brotherly hand over her head. "We'll be close if you need us."

"Hmm…okay."

"C'mon," Hermione whispered to Harry and Ron when they hesitated. "She'll be fine. She just needs to rest."

Ginny felt herself drift off as she let the warm breeze and the gentle sound of the surf lull her to sleep. Funny how terrifying the waves were moments ago and now the distant sounds of the waves were slightly comforting. Since she was far away from them and from the danger they could cause, she supposed.

She didn't know how long she fell asleep, but as she began to stir, distant laughter swept over her, along with the crashing of the waves and somewhere above her, seagulls were squawking.

She blinked open her eyes as she slowly shifted herself into a sitting position. However long she was out, it definitely helped since she no longer felt weak and the world had finally decided to stop spinning. She felt refreshed and-thirsty. Incredibly thirsting. She looked around for her bottled water they had given her and found it perched into the sand. She grabbed it, unscrewed the cap, and guzzled down every drop remaining.

More laughter rang out and she followed her eyes towards the surf to find Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna playing in the shallow part of the water. She found herself smiling as she watched Hermione-who was perched on Harry's shoulders-battle it out with Luna, who was on Ron's.

"Come on, Hermione!" Harry's loud booming voice carried to her. "Knock her ass into the water!"

"Don't let her push you around, Lunakins!" Ron encouraged back as the girls kept pushing and shoving at each other, but laughing as they did so.

Ginny found herself laughing as well when Harry and Ron had both lost their balance and they all went tumbling down in the water together. All of them emerged from the surface, consumed with laughter and Ginny felt her heart tug slightly when Harry playfully plucked Hermione off her feet from behind, only to tackle her back into the water.

The painful tug wasn't jealously-she and Harry weren't meant to be and she knew that now. The tug in her heart was pure envy because she desperately wanted to find someone who would tease her one moment, then sweep her off her feet the next. Was that so much to ask?

Draco flashed through her mind and she shut her eyes as she shook her head. It wasn't possible-it just wasn't. She couldn't have a life with Draco Malfoy-it would never work. They were too different and came from two completely different backgrounds. But, did that really matter now? While they were here, away from their homes, away from their problems, did any of that matter?

Maybe they couldn't have a life when they were off of this island, she thought as she gradually got to her feet. But she couldn't see why they shouldn't start living while they were still on the island-while they were still apart from reality.

He would fight it, she supposed as she took two testing steps towards the house. When she didn't wobble or get dizzy, she took it as a sign to keep going. He would try to push her away and maybe say something cruel to her-that's what he did earlier today, didn't he? She didn't catch it at first, but now it made sense.

He was just as attracted to her as she was to him. That was why he was pushing her away. For her own good. She let out a snort as she began to walk up the stairs to the house. No one made her decisions for her, and Draco Malfoy was about to find that out for himself.

Draco was standing on his terrace when he heard the knock on his door. Since he saw her walking up to the house seconds ago, he knew it was Ginny, and decided the best thing to do was not to answer. He wasn't sure if he could face her at the moment, he was still pretty shaken up.

When he heard the door open from inside, he cursed himself for not locking the door in the first place. A part of him knew that Ginny would eventually come after him, so why didn't he lock it? Because another part of him-a small part of him-wanted her to come to him. And that was dangerous.

"Draco."

He sighed and reluctantly turned around to find her lingering in the open doorway of the terrace. She was still in her swimsuit, along with a white wrap tied lazily around her waist and flowed down to her knees. "You should be resting."

"I've done enough resting," she said with a hint of bite in her voice. "Why is your damn luggage out on your bed?"

He pushed himself off the railing and breezed by her. "I'm thinking of taking the first ferry out tomorrow morning."

Ginny's jaw dropped as she watched him walk over to his luggage. "What? Why?"

"It's for the best," he said as he started to zip it up.

"The hell with that," she said as she stalked over to him.

He sighed. "Look, Red…I don't belong here and…hey, what the hell are you doing?" he exclaimed when she suddenly tugged the bag away from him.

"You're not going anywhere, Malfoy," she said as she zipped it back open and heaved the overly large bag upside down.

Now, Draco's jaw dropped as he watched her shake his bag over and over again as his belongings tumbled out onto the bed. "You got a lot of damn nerve," he finally said when she tossed the empty bag aside.

"Me?" she exclaimed and then went over and jabbed a finger in his chest. "You have a lot of nerve. You were just going to leave?"

"Yes, I was," he said and then grabbed her wrist. "I still am if I have anything to say about it." He flung her hand away. "Now leave me alone."

"Not a chance," she said as she placed her hands firmly on her hips. "And you're staying…unless you can give me a damn good reason for leaving."

He narrowed his eyes as he took a step closer to her. "My reasons for leaving are none of your damn business."

"They are if they have to do with me."

He scoffed. "Don't flatter yourself, Red."

"And don't bullshit with me, Malfoy," she scoffed right back. "You want to leave? You want to pack up and leave just like that? Fine-leave. But at least have the decency to tell me why."

"Dammit, Red," he cursed as he stabbed his fingers in his hair and clenched strands in frustration. "I'm not cut out for this, okay? I'm just not."

She flared out her arms. "Cut out for what?"

"Caring so damn much!" he yelled as he reached out and gripped her arms. "I'm not use to this, Ginny-to any of it. I know caring about someone comes as naturally to you as breathing, but it doesn't work that way for me. I didn't grow up with all these feelings that have started to swarm inside me since I stepped foot on this damn island. You and your stupid friends put them there."

"Well, excuse the hell out of me and my stupid friends…we sure didn't make you have these feelings."

"You bloody hell did," he said and gave her a shake. "Harry started the whole thing by inviting me here-something he never should have done."

"Well he did, so get over it." She angrily shrugged off his hands. "This vacation has barley started and I'm sorry to inform you that those unwanted feelings are probably going to get stronger, so either take it like a man or leave."

"Ginny-"

"And maybe you're not cut out for all of this-but you showed me that you cared a hell of a whole lot today when you risked your life to save me."

"That's exactly why I want-need-to leave, Ginny." He closed his eyes and took a steady breath as he tried not to think about what could have happened if-no, don't go there. It didn't happen-she was fine. She was safe. "I don't think I could survive going through that again."

Her face immediately softened when she noticed the miserable look in his eyes. "Draco-I know you were scared, who wouldn't be? And I know you went through hell to save me, all because I didn't take your warning seriously. And I'm sorry for it-sorry you feared for you life just to save mine and…"

His head snapped up. "What?" he asked forcefully. "I wasn't afraid for my life. That's not what I meant."

She touched a hand to his arm. "Draco…"

He grabbed her hand before it could touch him. "I was afraid for yours."

Ginny felt her heart trip. "What?"

"I have never been so fucking scared in my life, Red," he said as he kept his fingers firmly wrapped around her wrist. He could feel her pulse quickening. "I was terrified that I wouldn't get to you in time. In my whole life I've never been scared for someone other than myself and it was ten times worse. The thought of losing you was unbearable. That's why I packed everything up-that's why I wanted to escape before it was too late because-it's too much. It's just too-hard and-shit, I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. Ginny…"

"It's okay," she said softly and then slowly stepped into him and circled her arms around her waist. "It's okay to be scared."

He felt his heart tremble when she gently rubbed her cheek against his chest. "How do you stand it?" he asked as he kept his arms at his sides. "I can't imagine living like this all the time."

"And I can't imagine not living like this," she murmured as she held him tighter. "It's okay to care about someone, Draco-and it's okay to need someone. It doesn't make you weak-it just makes you human."

He could feel his walls begin to crumble as he lifted a hand and gently ran it down windblown hair. "If I ever needed someone, Red-it would be you."

She closed her eyes as his words washed over her. "I thought I was going to die."

He put her arms around her then. "Don't."

"I had given up," she murmured into his chest as began to rub his hand up and down her back. "I was too tired to fight anymore and as I let myself go-it was you I thought of. Just you-and no one else."

"Ginny." Completely undone, he bent his head and touched his lips to her head. "This is crazy."

"Nuts," she agreed and then lifted her head and leaned back to look at him. "We would never work, you and I-back home."

"That is absolutely accurate."

"But what about here and now?"

"Still think it's completely ridiculous." Draco cupped the back of her neck with a firm hand. "But I really don't give a damn."

With one hard tug, she found herself pressed deliciously against him and before she could even gasp out a breath, his lips crashed against hers. She didn't even hesitate or struggle, she met his urgent kiss head on as she flung her arms around his neck and yanked him closer as she opened her mouth to him, as he plundered her mouth with his forceful tongue.

All reasons he had talked himself out of doing this went out the window and now all that was clouding his mind was Ginny. Her touch, her scent, her taste. On an urgent moan, he plucked her off her feet so she was a head taller than he and let her to be the one to plunder his mouth. He opened his mouth to her, meeting her persistent tongue again and again as the taste of her began to consume him, driving him mad with need for her.

Lips still locked, hands still groping, they tumbled onto the bed in a tangle of limbs and then rolled together-paying no mind to the clutter of clothes scattered on the bed-until Draco had her pinned down with his long, hard body. "Red," he murmured as he nipped and licked his way down her neck.

She arched against him gripping strands of his hair as she opened her mouth in a silent groan. Merlin, she had never experienced a snog this intense-this passionate. This was what was missing in her relationship with Harry and my god, why didn't she ever realize it before? Chemistry. Off the charts, out of this world, I can't get enough of you, chemistry. And boy, she sure couldn't get enough right now. His hands streaked over her as his mouth found hers once more, this time softening the kiss to slower, lazier strokes of the tongue, while her hands stroked up and down his muscular back.

She didn't want him to stop kissing her, touching her. She didn't want this moment to end, but as much as she wanted him to keep going-she wasn't quite ready. "Draco," she murmured against his lips as she gently cupped his face.

He let out a defeating groan when he felt her slight resistance, and reluctantly pulled away. "You're killing me, Red."

"I know, I know," she moaned. "I'm sorry. I'm just-this is going a little too fast."

He sighed as he dropped his forehead to her chest and sighed again when she began to strum her fingers through his hair. "Don't be sorry. Just-give me a moment to get my vicious need for you under control."

"Vicious?"

He groaned. "Oh, yeah." He playfully nipped at her skin, causing her to yelp. "See?"

She laughed as she nudged him off of her and he rolled over on his back next to her. She looked over at him and he looked over at her-and that was a mistake. Their lips met in a frantic frenzy, as he yanked her on top of him and ran his hands down, down until he cupped her ass and pressed her firmly against him-center to center.

She gasped out a groan as she tore her lips from him. "Bloody hell-you are vicious." He flashed her a grin and felt her heart shudder in his chest. "And dangerous."

"Don't worry," he said as he started to bring her head back down. "I won't bite."

He brushed his lips with hers, softly, gently and just as he was about to sink into the kiss, she pulled away on a groan and quickly rolled off him and the bed. "Problem?"

"Oh yes," she finally said with a shaky sigh. "Very dangerous."

He started to sit up and then laughed when she took a hesitant step backwards. "I'm not going to jump you, Red."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "I don't trust you-or myself-so keep your distance."

He held up his hands. "Distancing."

Her lips curved. "For now at least."

He smiled, but then faltered. "Ginny, this can't-I mean, Merlin knows I want you, but-you need to know going into this that this can't go beyond here."

"It's okay-I understand. And agree."

"You do?"

"Definitely. So, let's not worry about it and enjoy each other while we can."

"I don't want to hurt you."

She sighed and then walked over to him and placed her hands on his shoulders. "Draco-I'm not going to fall in love with you. I promise."

Something very unpleasant twisted painfully in his belly at her words. "Okay, then." He then cradled her face with his hands and kissed her once, twice and then lingered on the third. "And let's keep this to ourselves…I don't want your brother to kill me."

She grinned against his lips. "Okay." She gave him another kiss and then tucked her hand in his. "Let's go back down-I'm sure our friends are wondering about us."

Our friends. It sounded weird, and Draco almost corrected her because a part of him still believed he wasn't worthy to be their friends. Instead, he simply nodded and linked his fingers with hers. "Okay-lead the way, Red."

Maybe he wasn't worth of being their friends, he thought as he followed Ginny out of his room. But worthy or not-somewhere along the way-they had become his friends. Even Weaslebee. And as for his feelings for Ginny?-he wasn't quite sure. He knew he wanted her and knew he cared for her more than he ever cared for anyone, and right now?-that would have to be enough.

And why in the hell was that so damn depressing?

-->