Unofficial Portkey Archive

Calm Before the Storm by lillyfan16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Calm Before the Storm

lillyfan16

Hey everyone! Here's the new chapter-out early even. I'm guessing I should be able to post every weekend-no more than two weeks though just in case. Like I said, posting early…despite not many telling me they are excited for the next chapter. Grr! I have a pretty empty week next week, so IF I get enough motivation, I might post once or twice next week. This one is longer than I planned, just kept getting drawn out, haha.

Disclaimer: Nothing is mine except Cliffinshire. Eat your heart out baby.

CHAPTER FOUR: Happy Birthday!

She's got a dirty mouth,

It tastes so clean with every taste of me

You know that every single thing she does

She does for me, because it's what I'm dreaming of
And she likes to take her time

More then fortunate, form of torture

And she likes to touch and tease

It's always fun for me, it's always unbelievable
You and me, sitting in a tree F-U-C-K-I-N-G


She'll do any naughty thing I want

My baby, she's up for anything I wanna do

She's a giver and it gets her off

My baby, she's into everything I wanna do

"Everything I Wanna Do" NICKELBACK

***

Oh what in the bleeding hell was Hermione doing?! This was not her.

But it was the new her.

But there wasn't a "new her."

This was the old her, transformed.

Confident. Bold. Perverted. Sexy.

Hermione paced the empty bedroom in the dark, trying to find her nerve somewhere in the pit of her stomach. She picked a thin package wrapped flawlessly in blue wrapping paper with an elegant red bow she had worked on for half an hour. Harry's birthday present-tickets to a big upcoming Quidditch game Sirius had hooked her up with. Not the World Cup, but definitely better than a bleeding shaver.

Harry loved Quidditch. Harry would love the gift.

She loved Harry. He would love his second gift even more.

Maybe.

If she had the nerve.

"Oh honestly-pluck up that Gryffindor courage, Granger!" Hermione said aloud to herself in the empty room. The faces of the four walls did not comment-how utterly surprising.

Small steps. Just go in there. Nothing has to happen-okay things will definitely happen.

That doesn't have to happen-she hoped it would. She wanted it to. She think so, anyway.

Taking a calming breath, Hermione stowed Harry's tickets back in a drawer and exited the bedroom. She tip-toed down the quiet hall, careful not to make a sound. It was seven in the morning. Harry had recently returned from his morning run. He checked on her when he got back, like always, before heading for a shower. She had pretended to be asleep with her heart hammering in her chest, and as soon as she knew he was gone, jumped out of bed.

She slowly turned the knob on the door-conveniently left unlocked because Harry had no shame. Completely silent, she eased the door open just enough for her to sneak inside. Harry's back was to her in the shower; she could see the top of his shoulders and head through the glass doors of the bathtub that started out clear but gradually became frosted as they reached for the rim of the tub. Crossing her fingers, she inched the door closed again and flipped the lock, all while Harry's back was still to her and he let the water rain straight down on his face with his eyes tightly closed.

Hermione unconsciously licked her lips in anticipation. She quickly and silently undressed, leaving her long t-shirt that belonged to Harry and bright pink knickers on a pile on top of Harry's clothes. Could she get by with opening the glass door without him noticing? He looked preoccupied from what she could see between the steam of the hot water, as if trying to will the water to wash away his stress. She pushed the innate concern that immediately came to mind as to what would cause his expression to look like that. Hermione grinned wickedly. Oh she had something for his stress, alright!

The glass silently slid open just enough for Hermione to squeeze in so she was now standing behind her oblivious boyfriend, the last of the soap remnants sliding down his body. And he had doubts in her stealth skills! The smell of his shampoo and body wash caused her to involuntarily take a deep breath, simply breathing in one of the many scents that seem to be stained into his skin.

After taking in the sight of his naked bum and lovely skin still slightly lathered up with soap, she reached out to him and slid her hands up his wet back, "Happy birth-" Her declaration was cut short by Harry swinging around and hitting her in the face with flailing arms. She slipped and fell straight on her backside.

"What that-Hermione! What are you doing in here?!" Harry asked, eyes wide. "You scared the shit out of me!" He immediately helped her ungracefully to her feet.

"Ow! What the bleeding eff, Harry?!" Hermione shot back with a glare, nursing the side of her head where Harry had struck her with one hand while her other and half her arm shielded her breasts modestly from view.

Instantly concerned, Harry rushed forward, careful not to slip, and looked at her head. While Harry inspected her possible bruise, Hermione used her now-free hand to add more coverage across her chest.

"I'm sorry! You just snuck on up me there." Harry said, unable to stop the grin from crossing his face. "Are you okay!? Is there any particular reason why you are sneaking up on me in the shower?" Harry teased.

"Well, I was trying to be sexy, but you just had to ruin that one, didn't you?" Hermione said laughing, referring to his reaction that caused her to take a tumble on her bum.

Harry laughed. "Sorry. It was unexpected-very welcomed," Harry insisted, letting his eyes roam over her body with excitement and lust clearly shining through, "But unexpected all the same. To what do I owe this pleasure? It must be my birthday or something." He said smoothly, pulling Hermione into his arms, tutting at her covering herself up. "Now this just won't do." He brought her hands away from her chest and easily draped them around his neck. "Better."

Scarlet tinged her cheeks as she let him pull her flush up against his body, her breasts touching his chest. She grinned and leaned in to kiss him sweetly on the lips while water rained down on them. "As I was trying to say…Happy Birthday, Harry."

Harry nodded. "Harry Birthday to me, indeed," he agreed before capturing Hermione's lips in a heated kiss.

Harry couldn't believe his luck. If he had imagined a thousand scenarios of this morning, Hermione sneaking into the tub for some morning shower fun was certainly not one of them-his imagination wasn't that good. However, having her naked here in front of him in this new venue for them, his imagination was certainly doing some impressive envisioning in the back of his mind, mostly things he believed impossible in such slippery circumstances.

The scent of her shampoo-filling the small confined space here in the shower as he massaged her hair in the foaming bubbles ensnared him even more than usual with it being stronger than ever. Hermione giggled and helped him get the soap out of her hair, as there was just too much of it. "I don't see how you ever get out of the shower!" He said, finding more bubbles at the crown of her neck.

"Forget my hair, wash my back?" She challenged, offering him her loofa.

Harry took the offending shower item and tossed it somewhere over the glass doors. "I have hands." With a wicked grin of his own, he squirted a liberal amount of her body wash in his hand and worked up a nice lather before starting at her shoulders and working his was down to her ankles, back up her smooth shins and thighs, over the sides of hips to her breasts and arms until finally, massaging his way down her stomach towards his destination between her thighs.

A whole different kind of wetness he was quickly becoming familiar with met his fingers as he explored her with her back against his chest and his lips on her neck. Her moans were becoming louder. "This was supposed to be a present for you." She complained, though her movements were telling him clearly not to stop his ministrations or she may very well hex him into his next birthday.

Harry gave a throaty chuckle in her ear. "I could do this all day long, and if it makes you moan like this, that's all the birthday present I need."

In response, Hermione closed her eyes and bit her lip, her legs quivering even more. Less than a minute later, she unleashed a satisfied groan and gripped the back of Harry's neck for support in case her legs decided to give out. As she rode her instant high back to the ground, she lazily opened her eyes, dazed from her orgasm. She looked up at Harry, who was grinning cheekily at her. "Stop." She said, rolling her eyes to cover how suddenly vulnerable she felt. She was growing to hate and love that smug look he got on his face after getting her off-an expression mixed between `Yes, I just did that,' and `Please, please, let me do that again!'

Harry turned her around and kissed her gently. "But…it is my birthday so if you wanted to return the favor…I mean, it's my birthday so I can't really say no, right?" He reasoned.

Hermione laughed and replied with a kiss. "As you wish, Birthday Boy," she said with a wink. Her kiss was long, slow, and deep while her hand ventured down his body and grasped his prominent erection. While she leisurely fondled him, she moved her mouth to his neck, leaving wet kisses along his already-wet skin. She continued to his chest, playfully nipping at each nipple while Harry leaned his back contently against the back of the shower, his eyes closed. He felt Hermione tongue continue down farther, encircling his belly button as her hands gripped his hips on either side. Oh Merlin, that felt good. His eyes suddenly snapped open when he felt her lips graze him…there! `Oh Godric-Ro-Rowena-Helga-and-…and…Sal…Sal…Sal-something!' "Wha…?" He started to sputter as he looked down at his girlfriend on her knees in front of him, shyly exploring this new game. She teased him with her lips and small licks of her tongue, and he was mentally begging her-`Please, please, PLEASE!!!'-not to stop, not to ever stop!

Then she took him inside her hot mouth completely, and Harry almost lost it right there, "Ah…fuck..." He grunted softly, pursing his lips together. One hand managed to somehow make its way to grab a fistful of her hair on the side of her head while the other had a death grip on the shower bar just to his right to make sure he stayed upright. "Oh, Merlin, Hermione." Harry groaned his eyes fluttering shut as he lost himself to the pleasure. `Not yet, not yet, not yet,' Harry thought mentally, wanting to draw this out. It was completely fucking amaz-

"Oi, mate! Happy Birthday!" A voice suddenly interrupted his consciousness, causing his eyes to snap back open and his leg to slip. He narrowly missed kicking Hermione and was barely able to catch his balance to avoid slipping straight on his ass. He ended up half-dangling from the shower bar, one hand with a white-knuckle grip on the bar and the other pressed tightly against the slick wall. He looked down to see Hermione's eyes wide.

"Er…Ron?" Harry asked, his breath catching in this throat as he tried to calm himself. After a second, he was able to stand upright. Hermione's hand flew to her mouth, covering it as to save herself from making her presence known by making any sound.

"Hey mate!" Ron repeated, and Harry slid the window back enough for him to stick his head out as Hermione crawled to the back of the tub.

Ron was sitting on the toilet, looking cheerful and bleary-eyed, a smile on his face. "Happy Birthday-am I the first one to tell you?!" He asked happily.

"What are you doing!? Get out!" Harry hissed, looking at his best mate with wide eyes.

Ron raised an eyebrow. "Um…kind of in a bad situation here, mate, no can do. I'll open the window." He made to unlock the small frosted window beside him.

Harry shook his head. "No, don't open the bleeding window, Ron, just get out. Didn't you notice the door was locked!?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, what was with that? Since when do you lock the door? And why are you being so unreasonable?" Ron asked, getting defensive. "And what was that? Did you fall?

Harry unconsciously looked back at Hermione, who was sitting on the floor of the tubs, knees drawn up to her chest and her eyes glued to the wall.

"Just, please, get out." Harry begged his red-headed mate, a pleading expression on his face.

Confused, Ron shrugged. "I'm going as fast as I can. What's with you? You're acting uncomfortable or something. Did I catch you wanking or…or…oh bloody hell, mate…" Realization dawned on his face as he caught sight of a pile of clothes just a few feet from him-pink knickers sitting on top. "Hermione is in there with you, isn't she?!" He exclaimed loudly.

Harry's shoulders slumped. "What? No! No. Maybe. I mean, no! Stop! Just…please stop!" Harry groaned, letting his head hit the wall of the shower in despair.

A small chuckled came from Ron, now also a little embarrassed. "Sorry mate. When I came in, I didn't even see…I mean I saw your head in the glass and there wasn't anyone else mate. Had I seen her I wouldn't have sat down and started the process that I can't really just stop, you know...?" Even as Ron was saying this with a huge grin on his face, the wheels were turning his head because he had seen Harry right off the bat, alone in the shower so Hermione must have been…"Oh bloody hell twice over you dirty wanker…Hermione was giving you a blowie!" He suddenly accused in typical tactless Ron Weasley fashion.

Harry ducked his head back in the shower, but not before Ron caught the flush of his cheeks and the grin that Harry tried to keep from his face. "Ron…just…shut the bleeding hell up already!" Harry called over to his friend, shaking a bit from laughter now.

Hermione, on the other hand, looking completely mortified.

"Er…good morning, Hermione! Thanks for er…blowing my mate on his birthday and all. And sorry I ruined it. I'm almost done, I swear…I think…" Ron said awkwardly in the direction of the shower.

Hermione-completely red-faced with her hand shielding her eyes from view as if it would make the situation disappear, slumped her head against the wall. "Just shut the bleeding fuck up, Ronald." She groaned in humiliation, repeating Harry's words with even more surprising vulgarity.

"Giving head and now thinks she can use that dirty mouth however she pleases." Ron muttered under his head in mirth, slyly looking at Harry's face in the shower. There was a few beats of silence before Ron started whistling a few notes until he stopped, finishing with an uncomfortable, "Awkward…" hanging in the air.

Harry gave Hermione an apologetic look, and Hermione suddenly stood up. "Ron-close your eyes or I'll hex the hell out of you!" Hermione called out warningly.

Harry shook his head, "No, please, don't go. He's almost done-then we can-" Harry tried to save their shower fun, but stopped when he saw the incredulous look on Hermione's face. He drooped is shoulders in defeat. "Damn you Ronald Weasley." He said with a murderous glare behind him where his best mate was casually sitting on the toilet, taking a shit and ruining Harry's birthday shower.

Harry grabbed a towel and wordlessly handed it to Hermione, watching with a tortured expression as she wrapped herself up in the fluffy towel and poked her head out of the shower. "No peeking!" She said, and saw that Ron had his hands covering his eyes and a Quidditch magazine sitting precariously on his lap.

She quickly scooped up her clothes and dashed out the door, only to let out a small scream, "Oh bloody hell, not you too!" Her exclamation followed by a muffled apology from Draco. Harry pushed the glass window of the shower open as the door opened, and Harry met the very confused gaze of Draco.

"What in the…" The blonde took in the scene before him: Hermione rushing from the bathroom in a towel, Harry's head poking out the glass door in the shower, and Ron sitting on the toilet, magazine in his hand and a smirk on his face.

Before Harry could say anything, Ron half-yelled, "Harry was getting a birthday blowie from Hermione!"

"Ron, shut up!" Harry said, though unable to stop the massive grin from spreading on his face.

Draco's eyebrows shot up. "Why are you in here, then?!" He asked, eyeballing Ron.

Ron shrugged. "Well, obviously I didn't see that she was in here-being on her knees and all-and so…I think it made her a little uncomfortable. I didn't even know she was giving him blowies in the first place. You never tell us anything, mate!" Ron whined with a look of accusation.

"Well, this is the first time that's happened! And her sharing a shower with me too!" Harry said defensively. "And thanks for ruining both of them, wanker!"

Draco's expression faltered. "Oh Merlin…are telling me you cock-blocked your best mate…on his birthday…while his girlfriend was sucking his cock for the first time, during their first shower together, by coming in here and taking this completely foul-smelling shit?" Draco concluded slowly, making sure he didn't miss anything.

Ron considered his words before nodding guiltily.

Draco let out a low whistle. "Wow, mate. I think there's a special kind of place in hell for horrible people like you to burn." He said with a chuckle.

"If you two don't mind, I'd like a little privacy. I can't shit in these tense conditions. I'm beginning to feel like I may be slightly responsible here, and it's making me all upset inside." Ron said, pulling a mock concerned look. "I imagine your shower is done unless you are wanting to wash the saliva off the old todger..

"Yes, so let's all make things more comfortable for you." Harry grumbled, rolling his eyes. He turned off the water and reached for a towel to wrap around his waist.

"Maybe you can pick up where Ron so rudely interrupted back in your bedroom?" Draco said suggestively, smirking.

Harry grinned half-heartedly. "I really doubt it, but who knows? And fuck you, Ron, by the way." He called over his shoulder, "We're no longer mates."

Harry went to open the door that led to his bedroom, which was locked. He knocked on the door, "Hey, it's just me." He said through the door before using his wand to unlock it. Hermione was under the blankets on his bed, hiding herself from view. Harry smiled.

"Hey."

No response.

Harry sat down gingerly on his bed, sinking into the mattress. "Hey. Can you come out now?" He laughed, pulling at the blankets, but Hermione only tightened her hold on them. "Come on, it's just me here." He tried to persuade her to come out, but to no avail. He sighed, and continued to talk. "Don't be embarrassed. This isn't something new to them, and it's not a big deal. Not like they haven't all done this." He reasoned.

"I'm going to kill Ronald Weasley." Hermione's voice was muffled through the blankets.

"I'm feeling the same way right about now, love. Want me to hold him, while you punch and yell at him for ruining my birthday blowie?" He laughed at the image in his head.

Hermione slowly pulled the blankets away from her face. "Stop calling it that! I tried to do something nice for your birthday." She whined, "And that stupid ginger had to just go and muck things up. Stupid red hair with his stupid freckles and stupid long nose!" She said, clinching her fists. "How is he just going to walk into the bathroom with the door locked!?"

Harry shrugged. "It's okay. I know, he's…well, he's Ron. But don't worry, next time we know using the Muggle lock on the door is not sufficient with Ron in the house. In fact," He grinned wicked at her and leaned down to kiss her, "We could test that theory right now. It's still my birthday, there's a door I can lock so no one can get in here, ever." He whispered huskily, kissing her heatedly.

Hermione pushed him off of her with a dubious look on her face. "Really? You think we're just going to have it off in here now?" She gave a short laugh.

Harry sighed. "I didn't think so, but you can't blame me for trying, yeah?" He grinned down at her.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "The mood has effectively been ruined by your best mate. Go ask him for your stupid birthday…special thing." Hermione said, turning slightly pink.

"Birthday…special thing?" Harry asked with a raised eyebrow.

Hermione grinned. "I don't like saying it!"

Harry laughed. "So you'll surprise me with it…but have trouble getting the words out? That doesn't make a lot of sense."

Hermione shrugged. "There are just some words I don't prefer to say, is all."

Harry shook his head. "Okay. Now, are you sure you don't want to continue any special birthday activities?" He asked, standing up from the bed. "I'd just hate to put pants on if you are only going to want to rip them off." He pointed out, gesturing towards his towel.

"Just get dressed already so I can give you your birthday present, yeah?" Hermione responded with a laugh.

"So keep my pants off then?" Harry said, putting his boxers back down. The look Hermione gave him made him slowly pick them back up. "Well don't watch me, at least you pervert!"

Hermione turned towards the drawer she had stashed Harry's tickets in and pulled the package out. She walked over to Harry, who was pulling on a fresh pair of pajama pants, fanning herself with the thin package. She tried to dance out of his reach as Harry made a grab for the tickets, but was too slow for him. He dropped back on his bed on his stomach and turned the present over in his hands. "So what is it?"

Hermione plopped down beside him. "Obviously a brand new surf board because yours is poor compared to everyone else's." Hermione joked.

Harry laughed in response, "Hey, money was a little short that week! And Ole' Blue does me just fine, thank you very much!" He shamelessly defended his old friend.

"If you say so. Now open it!" Hermione demanded, grinning.

Harry ripped the paper off to reveal a thick envelop. He opened it and pulled out two Quidditch tickets, the Appleby Arrows vs. the Wimbourne Wasps. Harry grinned broadly. "Are you kidding me? This is…" He looked at Hermione, his smile widening. "I'm going to give you a big kiss right now, I'm not attempting to seduce you and finish what you started this morning; it is just an expression of gratitude…unless you want to turn it into something." Harry laughed before rolling over and planting a wet, sloppy kiss starting on her mouth and one on each of her cheeks.

Hermione giggled under his weight. "I'm glad you like it. Should be an interesting game, right?" Honestly, she had no clue. She liked watching Harry play Quidditch, but watching him watch Quidditch wasn't half bad either. He always got overly excited.

Harry rolled off her. "I don't think you even understand how brilliant this is. The Arrows and Wasps…huge rivals. I've never been to a game between them, but I've heard they can get insane. The fans literally get into fights over the matches…which I suppose could be said for any team, but these…they're brutal, mate." Harry said, running a hand through his messy hair as he tried to contain his excitement.

Hermione raised an eyebrow at the name. "`Mate?' I'm your `mate,' now, mate?"She asked, turning her head to the side, inquisitive.

Harry chuckled. "Playmate, maybe." He leaned in for a kiss.

"Playmate." Hermione repeated. "I must say, we do tend to play pretty well together, don't we?" She replied mischievously.

Harry's let out a small groan. "Stop, unless you're willing to back up your words. I might not let you leave the bedroom if you keep talking like that-already still half-cocked as it is." He raised his eyebrows suggestively.

Hermione pulled him into a chaste kiss. "Maybe later, birthday boy. You'll let me make you something nice for breakfast, yeah?" She asked, nuzzling his neck.

Harry closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Or you could just let me have you for breakfast." He whispered, opening them and showing lust begging in his eyes.

Hermione swallowed loudly and felt her own desire heat up. No. Later.

Not too much later though, she hoped.

She pushed herself off his bed. "Come on, love, before you talk me into it." She held a hand out to help pull him up.

Harry stowed away his tickets in his drawer, grinning in his excitement, before reluctantly following Hermione towards the kitchen.

"Oh, there they are!" Ron's loud voice greeted before giving a loud, obnoxious burp.

"Hey, come on now…" Draco said, giving Ron a look. "Don't be an asshole to the girl…she's only just been able to get on her feet." He snickered teasingly.

Hermione felt herself blush.

"Stop, the both of you. I'm serious." Harry said, looking between his mates.

Hermione shook her head. "No, it's fine. I can fight my own battles. Go on, idiots, what else have you got? Go ahead and get it all out now." She offered, gesturing towards the pair of them.

"Good. I've got a list." Ron said, producing a small piece of paper. "Let's see here…Okay, Draco, set me up." He said, looking over at the blonde.

Draco narrowed his eyes slightly, surveying Hermione with apprehension now. "I think I'm going to sit this one out…" He replied, gauging Hermione's cool expression.

"Sitting it out? Oh, like Hermione? Well, wasn't exactly sitting but wasn't standing either now was she?" Ron laughed at his own improvised joke.

Hermione gave a mock clap. "Very clever, Ronald."

Ron nodded as he looked at his list. "I know I'm clever. Now what does Hermione have in common with the Tornados?"

Hermione sighed. "I don't know, Ron, what do I have in common with the Tornados?"

"You both `suck' and bring the rain. In their case, the rain with their mascot and in yours…well, your sucking brings-or would have brought-Harry's `rain.'" Ron laughed.

Hermione gave him an incredulous look. "`Harry's rai'-Ron just how bleeding immature are you?!" She asked, shaking her head.

Ron gave her a small glare. "Hey, I didn't have a whole lot of time here. And finally…what's Harry's new favorite view? Hermione's lips? Tits? No, that would be the top of her head-getting to work and using that mouth in the best way possible."

Hermione glanced over at Harry, who simply raised an eyebrow as if asking if she wanted him to take care of it. Hermione smirked in response. She walked slowly over to the ginger sitting at the bar, and picked up in mediocre list of "funny" insults. "Happy now? Got them all out, did you? Anything else you want to come out of that mouth of yours?"

Ron stood and raised his hands up, "Wow, wait. Are you sure you want to talk about what's coming out of mine or what's coming in yours?"

Hermione crumpled up the paper in her fist. "Done now?

"Yes. I think. For the moment, anyway, so carry on and maybe make breakfast or something." Ron said, grinning.

Hermione nodded. "Good. Now while you are trying to think up more stupid clever little jokes, how about we play a game. The game is…you have five seconds to run before I hex the bleeding fuck out of you, and that filthy mouth of yours."

Ron scoffed. "Filthy mouth of mine? I wasn't the one sucking co-wow, wow, wow, don't point that thing at me--which is not what you said this morning in the shower!" Ron slipped out as word vomit as Hermione pointed her wand at his chest.

"Always got to be funny. My turn. One…two…" Hermione began to count.


Ron slowly backed away, hands held up in surrender. "Hermione…" He said warningly.

"Three…"

Ron turned and took off out the patio door.

"Five!" She shouted after him, sprinting out the door.

"That was only four! You didn't say all the numbers!" Ron whined, picking up speed.

"I lied!" Hermione aimed her wand, trying to keep her arm steady while running. "I'm going to get you, Ronald Weasley!" She promised vehemently.

Harry and Draco exchanged a look of entertainment. "Smart, keeping your mouth shut there, mate." Harry said casually.

"I knew something was up. I'm not going to let her turn me into a ferret or something. I know boundaries. Ron…has a bit of trouble in that department, I'd say." He chuckled. "But now I've got to ask…how was it?"

A large grin plastered itself on Harry's face. "Oh, bloody fantastic. Probably one of the most amazing things ever."

"What's amazing?" A female voice asked, and Harry's head jerked up to meet eyes very much like his own staring at him from the doorway.

"Mum!" He greeted, crossing the distance and taking the bag from her hands and giving he a hug with his free arm. "What are you doing here?"

"Happy Birthday, darling." She said, kissing him on each cheek twice. "I've come to make you breakfast on your birthday-we always do that together, you know that!" She laughed, ushering him farther into the kitchen.

Harry nodded. "Of course."

"And no diet, today, Harry! You will eat whatever your mum makes you. You can go for an extra run tomorrow or something. Merlin, you look thin!" She tutted under her breath, pulling him in front of her to complain about his weight loss.

Harry shook his head, a smile on his face. "I look fit, Mum. There's a difference."

"Well, today you are going to eat a lot, or you'll have me to deal with." She threatened.

Harry held up his hands in surrender, very much like Ron with Hermione. "You win. Make me fat, Mum."

She nodded her head, satisfied. "Hello, Draco dear. Where's Ron?" She asked, looking around.

Both Harry and Draco broke out into simultaneous laughter. "Somewhere around the business end of Hermione's wand would be my guess." Draco said, peering out the door. "Wants to take the mickey out on the smartest magic-enabled person in the house-not his brightest idea, I'd say."

Harry nodded in agreement. "I bet he comes back as a bug. A spider!"

Lily looked out the window, slightly concerned. "That's a little harsh."

Draco shook his head. "Trust me, he most definitely has it coming."

Lily shrugged. "Let's start breakfast. Put a shirt on-you're in a kitchen. Is that how I raised you?"

After going to his room to pull on a shirt, Harry started to bustle around and help his mother with the food. He had to admit, the prospect of a meal that wasn't complete rubbish was enticing.

Ten minutes later, Hermione strode confidently through the back door, a smug expression on her face.

"Catch your canary, did you?" Draco asked, noting her expression.

"Caught. De-feathered and cleaned. Battered up and fried crispy for supper." She replied with a laugh.

"Oh, dear Merlin, what did you do?" Harry asked, stopping his stirring in the mixing bowl in his hands.

Hermione looked up and saw Harry and his mother making breakfast together, his mother's sudden presence throwing her for a loop. Er…just harmless fun." She adverted her gaze as Ron walked in behind her, a wooden bucket in his arms.

"Ron! How are you, mate?" Draco asked with a wide grin.

Ron, looking paler than usual and sweating slightly, responded by retching a large slug into the bucket in front of him. Eyes watering, he tried to talk but no sound came out.

"He won't be talking anytime soon." Hermione elaborated wickedly as another slug came barreling out of his mouth. "Needs to be a little more conscious about what comes of out his mouth and all."

"Ron, I've heard you had this coming. Now please, get those horrid things out of the kitchen. I'm making breakfast." Lily said, her head tilted to the side as if she wasn't sure if she should be concerned or laugh.

Mustering up a little courage, Hermione walked directly over to Harry's mother and smiled. "Hello, Mrs. Potter. It's nice to see you again. Is there anything I can help you with? I can help with breakfast and the boys can go play video games or something?" She offered, smiling broadly.

Earning a tight smile in return, Lily replied, "Actually, Harry and I make breakfast together on his birthday every year. It's a tradition, if you will." She let her eyes roam Hermione's attire, her pajamas perhaps an unneeded reminder that she was sleeping here with her son.

The biting undertone of her voice and pointed look in her eyes did not go unnoticed by Hermione, who felt the grin falter slightly at the refusal. "That's fine. Um…if you need anything, please, just ask."

Lily had already turned around and started messing around with a mixing bowl. Hermione looked at Harry as a dark look passed his features. He opened his mouth to say something to his mother about her rudeness, but Hermione quickly shook her head, silently mouthing, "It's fine."

Harry stopped, looking clearly unhappy, but bit his tongue. He looked at Draco for help,

"How about we go see what we can do with some zombies, Hermione? Unless you want to try rugby again? Or that Grand Theft Auto game?"

Hermione smiled. "Black Ops is fine-it's the only thing I'm not total rubbish at." She responded, trying not to look wistful at her rejection.

Harry walked with her over to the door, an apologetic look on his face. "I'm sorry." He whispered so only she could hear.

"That's fine. Unbeknownst to her, her little birthday boy got a blowie in the shower this morning, so score one for me." She breathed wickedly.

Harry snickered. "Thought you didn't like that word."

"I make exceptions. After all, I do have a dirty little mouth on me." She watched as her perverted innuendos brought out the intended response in her boyfriend-darkened eyes that promised she would be paying for that later, and that it was very much a score for her indeed.

Hermione shrugged. "Trying to pawn me off on Draco. You sure it's okay we sit on the couch together?" She asked, mirth clearly in her voice as she poked fun at his recent jealously. "Shall I sit on the floor?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Don't be ridiculous, Hermione. Tell him to be the gentleman and sit on the floor."

Hermione laughed and shoved him back towards the kitchen.

"Be right back!" She called to Draco, who was turning on the Xbox.

Hermione quickly went to Harry's bedroom and changed her clothes. She felt a little inappropriate in her pajamas in front of Harry's mother-even more so after the woman silently point it out. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and applied a little bit of make-up. Surveying her appearance, she nodded in satisfaction and turned back toward the door.

She plopped down beside Draco on the couch at the opposite end and took his offered controller.

Ron was sitting in the chair, still sweating and producing slugs from his mouth.

Draco looked over at Ron. "Nice." He said, offering her his fist.

Hermione bumped her fist against his awkwardly. Suddenly, Ron shot up and ran for the bathroom, causing them to both laugh.

Draco smiled. "I might only have a few minutes to say this, so I'm going to get it out before we get interrupted. About the other night…I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to come off a certain way. If I was inappropriate…well, that wasn't my intent."

Hermione nodded. "I know. And Harry knows too." She added with a smile.

"Yeah, we talked. I told him you're special to me for some reason, dunno why because you're right bloody annoying most of the time." Draco rolled his eyes.

"Oh, you know you love me, you self-righteous git." Hermione joked.

Draco smiled a half-smile. "Yeah, I guess I do. Fucking brat."

Hermione gave a snort of laughter. "Good. But yeah…I know it wasn't anything on either of our parts. I'm a little new to this whole thing, like how to be friends with blokes…especially when I'm with Harry. It's a little confusing. I mean, Harry doesn't know what's going on in our heads, and we need to keep that in mind because something things can look…deceptive." She said, trying to find the words to convey that the boundaries in their relationship need to be solidified a little more.

Draco nodded in agreement. "It's hard for me to have someone in my life that's…different than even Ron and Harry. I've never really had a girl completely off limits before in my life, and I know I can be a little too flirtatious sometimes. I don't mean anything by it towards you-you're too good for that type of thing. I think…I think I put you on a pedestal or something, if that makes any sense. You impress me. No one impresses me." Draco laughed, also trying to say the right words.

"Well that's good, because I should be on a pedestal. I'm Hermione-Mother-Bleeding-Granger, for Merlin's sake!" She said suavely in a mock-conceited voice imitating Draco himself.

"Well, Miss Hermione-Mother-Bleeding-Granger-prepare to get your ass handed to you on a silver platter to go along with that crystal pedestal. I've got…fifteen times your kills, at least. And ten times the headshots, I'd wager, depending on how much time we have."

Hermione smacked him in the back of the head. "There's your headshot."

***

Harry rolled his eyes. "Mum, I get it. I should be getting my results soon. And I know you want me to go into Healing but…I think we both know what I'm really wanting to do." Harry said, trying to convince her that Auror training was better suited for him.

"It's dangerous."

"We're in dangerous times." Harry shot back.

"We aren't talking about that today." She said, a warning in her voice.

Harry stood up and planted a kiss on the top of his mother's head. "Then let's not talk about this either. I'm not changing my mind." Harry knew what he wanted to do. He knew what he needed to do. To cushion his remark, Harry added, "But maybe I can go into Healing later on. I don't want to be an Auror forever."

His mother wasn't satisfied, but that was enough to keep her to quiet. She looked down at her watch. "If you don't mind, how about you lot go out and get the backyard ready before your aunt and uncle get here. No magic, remember. You know how they feel about that." She looked around at the teenagers in the room, a warning look in her almond-shaped emerald eyes. They all nodded mutely. Her eye was trained on Ron, who wore an impish expression.

Harry, Ron, and Draco went to work, conjuring up everything from tables and chairs to ice boxes and a buffet line. Hermione started decorating with blue and green-balloons, streamers, banners-all sorts of embellishments filled the backyard. Within half an hour, their work was done and they were joined by a new lot-several Weasleys, Neville Longbottom, Luna Lovegood, and a few others.

It was half-past noon and dinner wasn't until five. Hermione raised an eyebrow. "A little early, yeah?"

Harry laughed. "No. Mrs. Weasley will be helping my mother cook everything. When we all get together…it's pretty well an all-day affair." He looked out at the sun. "I say we should all hit the beach."

"Won't they want help?" Hermione asked, furrowing her eyebrows. That was a lot of people to cook for with just two people.

Harry smirked. "Did you want to ask her again?"

"I can." She said defiantly, despite Lily generously letting her clean up the kitchen after breakfast-which Hermione did the Muggle way, in hopes of trying to impress her having the same respect for the Muggle lifestyle she knew Harry's mother had.

"I wish you wouldn't. She's going to say no." Harry said, frowning.

Hermione shrugged and headed inside, Harry hot on her tail.

"Hello, Mrs. Weasley, right? Nice to meet you." Hermione introduced herself to Ron's mother. "Mrs. Potter." She greeted with a grin. "Is there anything else I can do to help? I'd hate to see you ladies stuck in the kitchen all day!"

"Oh no, go play. We've got this covered. We do it every year." Lily said, gesturing towards her best friend, Mrs. Weasley.

"Well, if you need help…" Hermione trailed off, knowing the futility of her offer while at the same time trying not to hold any disdain towards the "go play" comment, as if she were a child.

"Actually, Harry, I'm going to need to you meet Petunia and Vernon right outside of town and guide them here. That would be best." She looked down at her watch. "Perhaps in about fifteen minutes?"

"I'll meet them!" Ron's voice-generously given back to him before breakfast after very much silent begging-offered, a wicked gleam in his blue eyes.

"Absolutely not! Especially not after last time!" Lily immediately rejected, eyebrows raised and eyes wide.

"I'll take care of it, Mum. Ron, take everyone out to the beach, Hermione and I will meet up with you lot in a few. You could go for a ride, yeah babe?" Harry asked, looking down at his girlfriend.

Hermione felt herself blush. "Yes." She replied quietly, not liking his endearment here in front of the watching gaze of his and Ron's mothers. "I'm going to go change first though." Hermione wanted to get out of there. Ginny and Luna followed behind her.

Hermione dressed in her modest tankini again, though she had half a mind to dress in her other black swim suit-still modest but it did show part of her stomach. It would certainly show Lily Potter up, Hermione traipsing around half-naked in front of Harry. But no, that certainly wouldn't do.

She rejoined her two girl friends in the living room a few minutes later.

"So how has your summer been going?" Ginny asked slyly, causing Hermione to tinge pink.

"Very well, thank you. And yours?"

"Oh, I'm sure it's nothing compared to yours. We will be talking about this later." She promised with a meaningful look as several people made their way into the room with them. "See you on the beach." Ginny said, letting Neville take her by the hand and pull her in the direction of the door.

Soon, just Harry and Hermione were left. "Ready?" He asked with a grin.

The sun was too bright and the weather too warm for the Harry's riding jacket, and feeling slightly daring, Hermione skipped his helmet as well and let her long hair dance in the breeze in her ponytail.

They waited on the side of the road, laughing at Hermione's revenge on Ron that morning and Harry recounted the story of Ron Apparating straight into the Dursley's car the summer before last, scaring the hell out of them all. Harry spotted his uncle's car coming up the road after only a few minutes. He motioned for them to follow him and he turned back towards town, letting the bike roar.

"Stop showing off!" Hermione half-heartedly reprimanded him, squeezing him tight in her arms.

Once they made it back to the house, Harry got off the bike and walked over to his relatives. "Aunt, Uncle." He greeted, pulling Hermione along. "Hermione, this is my Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon. Then my cousin Dudley and his girlfriend….Cassie?"

The girl nodded her head mutely.

"Everyone, this gorgeous girl is Hermione Granger, my girlfriend." He grinned, pulling her to space separating him and his relatives, showing her off.

"Harry! Stop it!" Hermione begged, scarlet-faced.

"Thanks, I'm glad you all could make it. Follow me." He called, heading to the front door.

Once inside, Petunia was whisked away by Harry's mother saying something about how there was only two of them to cook so she could really use her help-a comment that earned a glare from Hermione. In their absence, more people had shown up: James, Sirius and Remus Lupin.

"Remus! You haven't met Hermione. Hermione, this is Remus; he's a top notch bloke. You've heard me talk about him." Harry gestured towards a tall, gangly man with sandy brown hair and a scruffy face.

"Nice to meet you, Remus." Hermione greeted, forcing herself not to think about how she already knew this man. Not here, and certainly not now.

"Likewise." The man replied, shaking her hand. He turned to Harry's uncle. "It's Vernon, correct?" He asked, extending his hand to the large, beefy man in front of him.

"How's the bike riding?" Sirius asked, clapping Harry on the shoulder.

"Brilliantly." Harry grinned. "Hermione's quite fond of it."

"Of course-all the babes love a bloke on a motorcycle, that's why I got it! You should think about getting your own someday!" He let out a bark of laughter. "Happy Birthday, by the way."

"Thanks."

"Yes, Happy Birthday, son." James said, coming over to give Harry a half- hug. "Eighteen! Wow!" He looked over at Hermione, standing ill at ease by Harry's side fidgeting with the hem of her t-shirt. "Hermione. Nice to see you again." He squeezed her forearm awkwardly.

"You too, Mr. Potter." Hermione replied sweetly, giving him her dazzling smile. Perhaps she could win over one her boyfriend's parents?

"We are going to join the other out in the water-you all coming?" Harry asked, looking around at the men in the room.

"Maybe later. There's a game on I know your uncle would love to catch." James winked before turning around. "Vernon!" He roared. "How have you been, mate!? How's drill business!?"

Watching the scene before her, Hermione could see, clear as day, how alike Harry and his father were. She shook her head. "You and your father…"

Already knowing what she would say, Harry just nodded. "Man acts just like me, I know. Well, come on, cousin. Let's hit the water before the sun sets!" Harry said, clapping his hand on his larger cousin's back.

The four of them made their way to the water with the sun-nice and hot for once-beating down on them. Harry stayed within a short distance of his cousin, knowing he and his girlfriend didn't know a whole lot of people there. Out in the water with no adults around and surrounded by friendly faces, Hermione felt like she could finally let loose a little. She didn't mind Harry touching her and could openly flirt back with him.

A surprise showed up around four `o'clock in the form of Blaise Zabini. "What is she doing here?" Hermione asked, taken by complete surprise.

Harry shrugged. "I invited her a few days ago via Hedwig. She did me a solid back at Hogwarts, and so I thought, `what the hell?'"

"Happy Birthday, Harry." The girl said, looking uncomfortable and slightly unsure as to why she had even agreed to come here in the first place.

"Blaise! How's your summer going?" Harry greeted her, motioning for her to join them in the water.

Hermione watched the girl, smaller with nervous eyes, glance around. Her eyes fell on Luna, who she smiled awkwardly at and gave a small wave.

"Hello, cousin." Luna replied dreamily with a dazed expression. "You look well."

Hermione looked quickly at Harry, who wore the same shocked expression. These two were cousins? Quite possible the most unlikely people imaginable, and to think they were related. It was no wonder why no one knew-not exactly part of the same circles at Hogwarts. Harry had never even seen them talk, though now that he thought about he, remembered Blaise mentioning Luna's small immersion into Avery's tricks when he had talked to her about Hermione's attack. He shrugged.

They swam and talked for a little longer before Sirius came up to the beach and called to them all, "Alright, you lot, back in the house. Dinner is ready!"

Everyone got out of the water and tried to dry off, shimmying on dry clothes over their wet swim suits.

"I hate your mum's rule about no magic." Ron grumbled, wringing out the bottom of his shorts.

Harry laughed. "You'll be fine, there, Weasley. Food is on the way." His words seemed to brighten Ron's mood a bit.

Dinner was mad. Long tables laden with food lined part of the yard while other, round tables littered the middle for people to eat at. Plates overflowed while people laughed and celebrated. Harry pushed two tables together the best he could for himself and his friends to sit down together.

"That's a lot of food." Hermione observed, looking at Harry's plate.

Harry shrugged. "It's my birthday."

"Happy Birthday." Hermione said quietly with a smile. "You should really spend more time with your parents, after dinner. I think it would be a good idea." She said with a shrug.

Harry swallowed a large bite of food. "Sure. You can go bug someone else for a change." He teased.

Hermione swatted at him playfully.

***

"There is no way I can eat cake right now." Harry said after a loud burp.

"I could go for some cake." Ron said, looking around and sniffing the air.

"Of course you could, Ron. Are you ever full?" Ginny asked, raising an eyebrow.

Ron ignored his younger sister. "So about this cake…"

"It's right up there, calm down, Ron." Lily's voice said from behind with a laugh. "Harry, if you could…" She gestured towards the cake, and Harry got up to follow his mother. A two-tiered cake sat at the front table. Scarlet with little golden snitches. "I would have charmed them to move, but probably not a good idea." His mother said with a wistful look.

Harry pulled her into a hug. "It's perfect, Mum. Thanks for everything-not just today, I mean every day. I love you." He said sincerely, looking into eyes that mirrored his own but with more wisdom and laugh lines and perhaps with less of his carefree gleam.

His mother got all teary-eyed and pulled him in for another hug. "I love you too, Harry. So much."

"Alright, let's not get tears on the cake. Ron might have a conniption." James said, coming forth with a light. "Eighteen candles for eighteen years. Happy Birthday, son."

Everyone gathered around, surrounding the birthday boy. Harry grinned and felt emotion well up inside at all the love the people around him had for him, and he for them. His eyes automatically sought out Hermione, but couldn't find her until he felt a hand grasp his own. He didn't even need to look to know that she would be standing there by his side, where she belonged. However, after a quick, reassuring squeeze on her part, she drew away to relinquish the place for his father, who started the chorus of "Happy Birthday."

Eighteen flames stared back at him. What could he possibly want more than this? Looking around at the people he loved-family and friends-there was nothing he wanted.

`I wish for the safety of everyone I love.' Harry thought to himself, not letting the threat of Voldemort ruin his special day.

As he blew out the flames, he could have sworn he heard a high-pitched, cold laugh in the back of his mind, followed by a sinister, "Good luck." Harry felt a shiver run down his spine.

"And for your birthday present!" James called, turning towards the table. A small gift the size of a deck of cards sat wrapped in the same scarlet and gold as his cake. "Happy Birthday!" He said again, a knowing smile on his lips.

Lily picked up the gift and handed it to Harry hesitantly. "It's from everyone-we all chipped in on it for you. Happy Birthday."

Inside, was a small box, and inside the small box, was a small key. Too small for a car. Harry felt his whole body react and tense up from excitement.

He looked around him. "No. No. This is way too much. No, I can't-are you kidding me?"

Sirius came roaring through the yard on a shiny black motorcycle with white accents on the gas tank and a chrome finish gleaming under it.

"It's not too much, like I said, everyone chipped in." His mother said, kissing him on the cheek.

"Well, take it for a spin!" Sirius said, offering the bike to him. Harry felt his heart hammering in his chest. He looked back for Hermione, but she shyly shook her head, urging for him to go solo. Licking his lips, Harry sat on the bike, loving the vibration beneath him.

"Wow." He breathed, letting the throttle loose.

"And, uh, it had the same special features as mine." Sirius winked.

***

And every prayer has been answered
Every dream I've had's come true
Yeah, right here in this moment
Is right where I'm meant to be
Here with you here with me
Yeah

These are the moments I thank God that I'm alive
These are the moments I'll remember all my life
I've found all I've waited for
And I could not ask for more

"I Could Not Ask For More" SARA EVANS

***

"Okay, now spill!" Ginny demanded, finally cornering Hermione alone in the kitchen. "What's happening between you two? Have you done it?" She asked excitedly.

Hermione laughed. "Calm down. I'm not going into details. It's none of your business!" Hermione said, knowing it was useless to fight her off.

Ginny rolled her brown eyes. "Oh, come on. You have been alone with Harry for two weeks now. And he's absolutely gorgeous-you aren't telling me absolutely nothing has happened."

A grin fought its way onto Hermione's face. "Okay, plenty of stuff has definitely happened-I mean-"

Hermione's confession was cut off by a sharp sound of something, perhaps a spoon, hitting a hard surface with a loud thwack. Both girls looked up to see that Lily Potter had just emerged from the pantry. "I'm sorry to interrupt you, but perhaps you should check your surroundings before you sit here and gossip about how you are defiling my son." Her voice was low and held a definite hint of malice.

Going beet red along with Ginny, Hermione gasped.

Without another word, the older woman stepped outside.

Before Hermione could stop herself, she hissed indignantly to her friend, "And how does she know her son isn't the on defiling me?!"

"I can still hear you." Lily's voice floated through the door, causing Hermione's hand to clap over her mouth.

"That was bad." Ginny whispered, sure Lily was out of earshot by now.

"Just kill me now." Hermione moaned, banging her head against the wall.

"Well, she's gone now, so…details?" Ginny asked meekly with a hopefully smile.

Hermione gave her a pointed looked. "Oh, just shut it, will you?! I know she is planning my imminent death in her head right about now. I'm not going to make it to see twenty."

Ginny scoffed. "You aren't going to make it to see nineteen." The redhead corrected her.

Hermione was able to avoid Lily for the rest of the evening. Ron wanted to have a bonfire out on the beach, so Hermione offered to help him. The Dursleys were ready to leave save for Dudley, who Harry had offered to let stay overnight and he would drive his cousin back to home the following day. Slightly apprehensive, his cousin finally agreed-though Harry wasn't sure if it was for him or if it was to stay overnight with his girlfriend.

Once the Dursleys were gone and Dudley and Cassie distracted out on the beach, Hermione and Draco helped Sirius clean up everything-very quick now that they had their wands out. Most of the adults were-especially a sickly-looking Remus and his pregnant wife Tonks-were ready to wrap the party up. Sirius offered to stay over to watch over all the rowdy teenagers who were technically adults. Fred and George-who Hermione found to be quite the riot and lived up to the legends-said they would see Ginny and Luna home tonight, and no later than midnight.

Lily and James were last the last to leave. Harry was over talking to them, thanking them over and over for the party and for his birthday gift he knew they paid most of the cost for. Even with everyone chipping in, that still left a large balance for his parents. Hermione watched the scene from her peripheral vision. She wished she had been able to contribute to the motorcycle, but of course, Harry's mother had never asked her. Lily's mood had definitely taken a sour turn, though she tried to hide it. Hermione mentally screamed all the dirty things she had done to Harry and vice versa in enough vivid detail that it made her neck warm in the direction of Harry's mother, feeling somewhat compensated for the woman's rudeness all day. And she prayed the woman didn't know Legilimency.

"Hermione? You okay?" Draco asked, breaking her from her detailed description of that very morning.

Hermione jumped, guilt immediately warming her cheeks. "Er…what?"

"You're a little flushed. You seemed a bit out of it, you okay?" He asked again.

Hermione nodded, but then decided maybe she wasn't. "Just getting a bit hot. I'm going to go run some cool water on my face and maybe lie down for a second." She said before making a beeline for the loo.

Twenty minutes later, Harry found her lying across his bed. "Hey you. Why are you hiding in here?" He asked, his hair visibly windswept from another go on his new toy.

"Just lying down for a second, a bit worn out to be honest." Hermione said, stretching and letting Harry pull her to her feet.

"Everyone is out at the fire. We can stay back if you want?" He offered, looking at the window.

Hermione kissed him softly on the lips. "Let's go."

There was something comforting about flames, and the warmth they brought. In the firelight, Hermione was reminded of Hogwarts, sitting in front of the roaring fire. She felt a tug of nostalgia for her old school. She sat between Harry's knees, his arms encircling her while she leaned up against his bare chest. Her suit was still wet from the quick dip in the water they had just taken, and the large holes in her crocheted cover-up top allowed for the warmth of Harry's skin to graze her back here and there. Everyone was laughing and talking, while she sat there, completely content, to just listen to everyone. Someone had brought out Harry's guitar, and he and Ron took turns playing songs, so Hermione would have to move every once in awhile, but not too far. She felt completely, head-over-heels in love with this man beside her, particularly in this moment.

She had enjoyed staying with him these last few weeks. She loved learning new things she hadn't known before-like how he loved being lazy, but found motivation to go running twice every day and do his work-outs. She loved how neurotic he was about keeping the kitchen clean while he was cooking, but never bothered to make his bed in the morning and told Hermione it was a waste of time. She got annoyed with how he would drop his pants not six inches from the hamper, uncaring if they made it in there or just stayed on his bedroom floor. When he brushed his teeth, he was careful to get each individual tooth. The bathroom always smelled amazing after his shower, Hermione simply couldn't get enough. He was way too competitive with his video games, and did not shy away from telling Hermione how awful she was at them. He befriended kids like Graham, and tried to steer him in the right direction because that's the caring bloke Harry was. She had seen the loving side of him. The jealous side. And despite the jealousy, she had felt the genuine trust he had for his friends and experienced not so much jealousy, but pure terror at the very hint of the prospect of losing her-something that was completely ridiculous.

She had learned a lot. She knew he was far from perfect, but so was she. And she had realized they weren't perfectly suited for one another either, something that was obvious since they became friends. But that didn't matter. They didn't have to be perfect or perfect for one another or any of that-they just had to be enough. Hermione had no idea how long this was going to last, but she knew-maybe biased because it's her first love-she couldn't fathom a day in her life without Harry by her side.

She felt as if for once, absolutely every was right with the world, in this moment. Voldemort was surely devising his own threats. Harry's parents were probably talking about how horrible Hermione was. Her parents were missing her, she knew. So many things were wrong. So many terrors were on the horizon, unseen to her naked eye. But in this moment, with Harry's arms and legs wrapped around her and his heart beating strongly against her back as he conversed with his cousin about Merlin only knows, Hermione was in the eye of the hurricane.

***

What if I told you it was all meant to be?
Would you believe me? Would you agree?
It's almost that feeling we've met before
So tell me that you don't think I'm crazy
When I tell you love has come here and now
A moment like this

Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this
Some people search forever for that one special kiss
Oh, I can't believe its happening to me
Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this
Everything changes, but beauty remains
Something so tender I can't explain

Well, I may be dreaming, but still lie awake
Can't we make this dream last forever?
And I'll cherish all the love we share
A moment like this

"A Moment Like This" KELLY CLARKSON

Well what did you think? PLEASE review-I know a whole lot isn't going on right now, but trust it, it's building. Just needed a small break.

Sorry if the first scene was a little much-I thought it was pretty funny and I felt a little awkward so I tried to not to into too much detail there.

Well, gotta go, so please review and let me know what you think! I promise I will post faster. I'll probably go ahead and write a few chapters over the weekend and next week…might hold them hostage. Hehe.

I'm serious.

Ha.

`Til next time,

*~Archie~*

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->