Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Matter of Life and Death by Barton Fink
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Matter of Life and Death

Barton Fink

Chapter 6

Remus Lupin took his time as he rose from his chair and allowed the slow, deliberate movements to calm him as he pondered on the best way to approach this case. He had been ambushed; he knew that he should not have been surprised by Snape's competence but nonetheless he still felt as if he had been mugged, such was the completeness of Severus' argument. When he and Harry had closeted themselves away in order to prepare a defence it had not occurred to either of them that Severus might choose this approach. It was a great pity that Severus Snape was such a damnably clever man.

But Lupin knew that he too was not without intellect. Out of all the Marauders, he knew that he was the one who always tried to follow his reason rather than his instinct. He was well aware of the irony of this situation; after all, when he was alive, for three days a month he lost all reason and became the most primitive and impulsive of beasts. But for the rest of the month he had always used his intellect and knew that it had always been his good temper and reason that had saved the Marauders from really getting into bother. He needed that reason now and counted his blessings that he had spotted a flaw in Severus' case. The man was clever but it seemed that he was too clever for his own good.

He slowly approached the witness stand and gestured to Harry to remain seated. He had been about to rise but Remus knew that there was no point; that he would have to question Harry just as Severus had done. He stood absolutely still as he considered his opening words. In contrast to Snape and his continuous pacing, Remus Lupin resembled a statue as he stood with his arms folded; his head down and his chin resting on his hand. He was aware of the scrutiny of the vast audience but did not allow this to distract him as he finally realised how to begin. He looked up to the judge.

`Your Honour, before I begin I feel the need to congratulate Severus for advocating such a comprehensive case against Mr Potter. If the purpose of this hearing was to establish whether or not my client has always been in love with Hermione Granger then I would freely admit that Severus has won conclusively. However; that is not why we are here. I fear that Severus has - quite unintentionally - missed the point. His rather selective examination of Mr Potter's memories is completely irrelevant to the matter at hand. We are not trying to determine whether or not Mr Potter loved Miss Granger throughout his life; what we must consider in this case are the events that transpired after his untimely "death."'

Lupin turned to face the audience after these opening remarks and continued in his reasonable tone. `The real issue in this case is the right of the individual against the system.'

`The rights of the common man are what the Law is all about, Lupin,' interrupted Snape, clearly affronted at being accused of missing the point.

Lupin turned to him. `I quite agree, Severus; but what we are dealing with here is the rights of the uncommon man. You said in your statement that this was a court of Law. In some ways, you are correct. In other - more important - ways, you are completely wrong. This is a court of justice, not of law. I am not interested in the Law; I am only interested in obtaining justice for my rather uncommon young friend here.'

He turned back to the judge. `You're Honour; the real question at stake is whether or not a young man and woman fell in love within the disputed two hours of overtime. Without the celestial error, Harry Potter and Hermione Granger would not have declared their love for each other. Now they face the prospect of being cruelly penalised for what is the most natural and pure event in the world - falling in love. They love each other! That is all that matters here - everything else is mere form. Harry Potter now has rights and responsibilities in respect of Miss Granger that he would not otherwise have had were it not for an error made here. What Severus has shown us today is completely irrelevant; I am sure my client would not seek to pretend that he has always acted in a manner towards Miss Granger that demonstrates his love for her. But that is of no matter; what matters is that he loves her now - and that she loves him.'

`Objection, Your Honour,' cut in Snape. `I take exception to the suggestion that events prior to the disputed time are of no relevance. Does Mr Lupin really expect us to believe that his client's past actions towards Miss Granger are of no importance? I contest that they are vital to understanding this case in full. Or would Mr Lupin have us believe that Mr Potter underwent some sort of epiphany? That he fell in love with a woman he has known for years in the space of two hours? Rather convenient if you ask me,' added Snape sarcastically.

`Objection noted, Mr Snape,' replied the judge. He turned to Lupin. `I am inclined to agree with this point of view. Mr Potter's prior actions suggest that his falling in love with Miss Granger would be improbable to say the least.'

`Improbable but not impossible,' replied Lupin. `This is what I intend to establish. He finally turned to Harry.

`Do you love Hermione Granger?' he asked.

Harry had been expecting the question. Ever since hearing Snape's case he had felt an overwhelming sense of despair but the opening remarks of Remus had done much to increase his sense of optimism. It also occurred to him that if he could still feel despair - even in this place - then he clearly was not yet dead. Hope - that great gift - still flickered in his heart.

`Yes,' he replied simply.

Lupin nodded. `You know what I am going to ask, Harry? If events prior to the disputed extra time are to be considered by this court then you know what is required of you? The prosecution has used rather selective memories to demonstrate its case. Will you do the same?'

Harry nodded his understanding. `I know what I need to do,' he replied quietly. He closed his eyes for a few moments in order to gather his thoughts. Finally he looked up at Lupin and nodded. Their eyes met for a few brief moments and Remus smiled at him before turning and flicking his arm much in the manner that Snape had done. Immediately, the sleeping form of Hermione Granger could be seen by all present.

`Ah!' exclaimed Celeste. `The lovely Miss Granger; indeed she is a woman worth living for! See her now; she walks in beauty like the night!'

All eyes turned to the Recorder who did not look too perturbed at being the centre of attention. Snape looked particularly disdainful.

`A very pretty comparison, my dear Celeste,' he began. `But Miss Granger sleeps; not walks. And it is daytime,' he added with a sneer.

Celeste shook his head. `The time is of no importance! What is time? A mere tyranny! You English; you have no understanding of these matters.' He shook his head mournfully `I am surprised that Mr Potter has such a sense of romance. He must have French blood in his veins somewhere!'

This observation brought a few sniggers from the audience - not least from Harry who did not consider himself the least bit French - or romantic either for that matter. He smiled his appreciation at Celeste before turning to the matter at hand. He closed his eyes and began to remember; to recall all the little things that explained why he loved Hermione Granger.

He did not open his eyes; did not see what was being projected on the "screen." But the others saw - and understood.

The first image was of himself and Ron saving Hermione from the troll; the desperate rescue followed by her lying to a teacher for them. Thus were the first bonds of friendship forged. The image abruptly changed to one of two first year students; one throwing her arms around the other, her lip trembling.

`Books! And cleverness! There are more important things - friendship and bravery and - Oh Harry - be careful'

The image changed again to the Hogwarts hospital wing where a glassy eyed Hermione lay absolutely motionless in an eerie foretelling of what had happened to her earlier. Harry sat next to her in despair before the image changed again…

`You solved it! You solved it!' exclaimed Hermione after greeting him when she woke. Her exuberance was contagious. The images began to speed up; flashes coming and going just as when Snape was doing the same thing.

They were flying through the air together on the back of Buckbeak; Hermione gripping him as if her life depended on it. The scene switched to just outside the portrait hole of the Fat Lady; Hermione offering him some toast. `Well, of course I knew you hadn't entered yourself.' Then it was the Yule Ball and how beautiful she looked with her sleek hair and periwinkle blue dress. Then it was the image of Harry battling with the mer-people to save her in the lake; her head lolling as the frigid waters buffeted her. Then an image of Hermione's disapproval when Fleur kissed him and the soft kiss she herself planted on Harry's cheek at King's Cross once term was over.

It soon became apparent that there was a lot more of this type of memory; that Snape's case had been built on exceptions rather than the rule. Image after image flashed before the eyes of the audience and one salient fact soon became evident; Harry Potter and Hermione Granger were inseparable. Not all of the images were moments of crises or intimacy; instead, Harry was able to demonstrate how Hermione had always been there for him; how - no matter what he was doing - he'd never had to look far in order to find her. Whether it was in the common room or the library; the great hall or the classroom; Hermione Granger was an ever present by his side.

The next clear scene was of Hermione throwing herself onto him in a hug when he arrived at Grimmauld place for the first time; `HARRY! Ron, he's here, Harry's here! We didn't hear you arrive! Oh, how are you?' It was not lost on the watching audience that this was something that Snape had pointedly omitted from his version of events. The scene changing didn't stop here however.

Next it was Harry seizing Hermione and pulling her behind him; shielding her as Grawp fist scraped past the tree trunk where she had been standing. Then it was the "saving people" speech; only this time the image changed to them flying to the Ministry on the back of Thestrals. This is what Snape had failed to reveal; that Hermione had followed when he needed her, despite her fears. Then it was the Department of Mysteries.

"RUN!' Harry yelled, and as the shelves swayed precariously and more glass spheres began to pour from above, he seized a handful of Hermione's robes and dragged her forward, one arm over his head as chunks of shelf and shards of glass thundered down upon them…"Don't let her be dead. Don't let her be dead…" the audience heard Harry pleas as the unconscious form of Hermione lay sprawled on the floor. The scene changed again; this time to the Potions dungeon.

The image changed; now it was Harry's sixth year and a brief flash or Hermione's reaction when he told her of the Prophecy then "Oho! One of my best friends is Muggle-born and she's the best in our year," mimicked Slughorn. Hermione turned to Harry with a radiant expression….next was Harry looking decidedly ill at ease as he overheard Hermione mention that she was going to invite Ron to partner her to Slughorn's party.

The pictures continued to change; seemingly inconsequential moments yet each spoke volumes of the deep bond that Harry Potter shared with Hermione Granger. By the time they reached the Horcrux hunt and Ron leaving; the battle with Nagini; the deeply intimate moment at the graves of Lily and James Potter no one watching was left in any doubt about the depth of feeling the two had for each other. The final image before the screen vanished was that of Hermione declaring her love in the common room.

A low murmur could be heard from the audience as Harry finally opened his eyes. Lupin turned to him and smiled broadly.

`Well done,' he said in a low voice. `Exactly what I was looking for.' He turned back to face the judge.

`Your Honour? I believe that if the evidence produced by the Prosecution is deemed to be of relevance in this case then what we have just observed is also of relevance. As I said in my opening remarks; this case is not about what occurred before Mr Potter was scheduled to die; it should only be about what happened afterwards. I am willing, however, to indulge Severus because I believe that what we have seen refutes his argument.'

`I disagree,' drawled Snape and Lupin was surprised by the interruption. `This refutes nothing. There is an aspect of this case that you seem to failing to understand, Lupin.'

`There is?'

Indeed; you are failing to appreciate that I do not need to prove that Mr Potter and Miss Granger are in love. The burden of proof is all on you. What you have shown me proves nothing.'

Lupin turned to the Judge. `Is this true, sir?'

The judge took a moment to reflect on the question. `It is true, Mr Lupin,' he finally replied. `Mr Potter seeks to avoid death; this is no mere triviality we are dealing with. In principle, I am willing to accept that his rights and responsibilities should take precedence over the Law in view of the error committed by the Department of Recorders, but he must prove to this court that he loves Miss Granger and that she loves him. Do you have any evidence of a more tangible nature?' he asked, an eyebrow raised.

Lupin stared at the judge for a long moment before he finally turned to Harry. `Do you have it?' he asked in a quiet voice as he approached.

Harry knew exactly what Lupin was talking about. He reached into his pocket and carefully removed the folded rose petal; the blossom that contained the only physical evidence that Hermione Granger loved him. He carefully unfolded it, relieved to see that the solitary teardrop remained frozen, before handing it to Remus. He watched as his father's friend slowly approached the judge; the petal held up for all to see.

`On this rose depends the fate of Mr Potter,' began Remus. `And what exactly is it, one might ask? It is a teardrop; a symbol gathered from Miss Granger that demonstrates the depth of feeling she has for Mr Potter. This tear holds love, truth and friendship. These qualities and these qualities alone can build a new world now that Mr Potter has finally destroyed the darkness. Love, truth and friendship,' he repeated softly. `Will you deny my client the right he has to this life that she promises him? Will you deny him the opportunity to fulfil his obligations to Miss Granger? For if not, I suspect that many more tears than this one will be shed. This is, in part, my defence; I ask for life for Harry Potter.'

Murmurs of agreement could be heard from the audience and the judge cast a quick glance around the room before turning his gaze on Lupin. He cleared his throat. `I am afraid that such evidence is inconclusive,' he began. `It is incumbent on me to ref…'

`Your Honour? I would like to speak to my client if you please?' cut in Lupin

The judge looked outraged. `You would interrupt my summing up?' he asked.

`I would,' replied Remus. `I'm not finished with Harry's defence yet. I would like to speak to my client.'

Silence greeted these words until after what seemed an interminable moment, the judge finally nodded his agreement. `You may consult with your client, Mr Lupin.'

Remus approached Harry who had a questioning look on his face. The others watched with interest as he crouched down and the two men whispered quietly to each other for a few moments before Lupin stood with a smile on his face. He turned to the judge and the others could see that Harry too was smiling.

`Your Honour? I would like to call another witness.'

`A witness, Mr Lupin? You can call whoever you wish in Mr Potter's defence. Who do you choose to call?'

`I would call Miss Hermione Granger.'

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->