Unofficial Portkey Archive

Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Barton Fink
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

Barton Fink

Harry sighed as he put down his empty glass on the table and delicately poured himself another Butterbeer. The Burrow was starting to empty as most of the guests who had come back after Fred's funeral had gradually departed over the course of the day. Now all who remained were those he had decided needed to know the full story of his victory over Voldemort. It had been a trying day and he was not looking forward to telling his story.

The funeral had been something of an ordeal. The turnout had been impressive and it was a tribute to the calibre of man Fred Weasley had been that so many of his contemporaries had elected to say a final farewell. It had not been easy though; Molly and Arthur had understandably been distraught and the rest of the Weasleys had shed many tears as the coffin was lowered into its final resting place. As it had finally disappeared from view, he'd cast a glance at George who seemed to be beyond grief, such was his distress. Harry had no siblings and could not begin to understand the loss, but it struck him that there was something particularly poignant about a twin having to bury his brother. George had finally cracked and let the tears flow and the remaining twin's agony was something Harry knew he would never forget.

The funeral had not been without incident. Word of his return had spread and as a result Rita Skeeter had been waiting like a vulture to pounce on any scraps of news. She'd been forcibly removed by Bill and Charlie and it had been with no small degree of satisfaction that they'd told her in no uncertain terms to clear off. He suspected that retribution was in the offing for such a snub but right now he did not give two hoots about Rita bloody Skeeter or anyone else of her ilk. He reckoned that only a few people deserved to know the full story. He trusted Kingsley to reveal that which was important and to discreetly withhold that which no one else needed to know.

`Are you ready, Harry?'

He found himself smiling, despite his nerves. The concern was obvious in Hermione's voice and he turned to face her.

`As ready as I'll ever be, I guess. Let's get this over with.'

She nodded and took his hand as she led him into the familiar sitting room. He at least felt comfortable in such surroundings; the Burrow had provided him with so much succour and relief over the years that he was glad he had chosen it as the location for his "confession." He felt the eyes of everyone present on him as he took his seat. All of the Weasleys were present, including Fleur. Kingsley, Hagrid and Minerva were also in attendance and he was glad about this. They had all made a huge contribution to the final victory and he believed they deserved the full story. He was aware of a profound silence and so took a deep breath and began to speak.

He talked for over an hour without interruption. He told them of the Horcruxes and the Hallows. Of the deal made between Albus and Severus and the manner of the latter's death. He spoke of his mother's sacrifice and the double connection that had been forged between himself and Voldemort. He omitted nothing; the ordeals in the tent when they were on the run; the events at Godric's Hollow; Hermione's torture at Malfoy Manor and Dobby's heroic intervention; he spoke of Draco being master of the Elder wand and his own sudden appropriation of the weapon. Finally, he told them of his death; of Dumbledore offering the choice to return and of Narcissa Malfoy's duplicity and how he had needed her to lie for him. When he reached the end of his tale he was aware of only silence; a silence broken only by the intermittent sobs from several of the people present.

`Did you know?' Minerva finally managed to ask.

`Know what?' he replied.

`Did you know Voldemort's curse wouldn't work?'

`No,' he replied simply.

This revelation was greeted with silence.

`But why, Harry?' asked Ginny suddenly. `Surely there was another way? You never even said goodbye!'

He deliberately avoided looking in Hermione's direction at these words. Instead he turned to his former girlfriend.

`I had no choice, Ginny. He had to be destroyed and it was the only way. What was one more death if it meant ridding us of him forever?' He looked up sharply as Arthur approached him and felt suddenly isolated and threatened for some reason but was relieved when the elder man simply refilled his glass. He nodded gratefully to him and took a careful sip.

`Look,' he continued, `I've told you everything. I have no desire to justify my actions to anyone. I am having enough difficulty in justifying them to myself. So I would be grateful for no more questions. Instead, I have one or two of my own,' he added, turning to Kingsley. `What do you intend to do with this information?'

Kingsley looked taken aback for a moment. `I don't know yet, Harry,' he finally replied. `I will need time to digest it all.' He smiled suddenly. `I'm open to suggestions. I'm pretty new to this game,' he reminded the room.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Harry smiled too. `If I may, Minister?' he asked, stressing the title. Kingsley nodded, still smiling. `I would like the role of Severus Snape made known to the world. He died a hero and I cannot begin to contemplate how difficult his task was. People ought to know.'

`Agreed, Harry. He deserves nothing less.'

`Good. I would also be grateful if you could keep reports of my death and link to Voldemort out of the public eye. I have enough trouble being the "chosen one" without being "the boy who lived twice."' He saw Kingsley nod his agreement and hesitated a moment before continuing. `I want a full pardon for the Malfoys as well.'

`WHAT?'

Harry closed his eyes. He had been expecting the outburst and he turned in resignation to his friend.

`Ron, if Narcissa hadn't lied I would really be dead. Voldemort would have finished me off there and then.'

`She only lied to save the skin of her useless son. Have you forgotten what they did? Hermione was tortured in their house!' he exclaimed angrily. `They've done nothing but terrible things over the years. Do you really think one lie makes up for that? Do you?'

`Yes, I do as a matter of fact. I know about what about happened at Malfoy Manor; how could I forget?' he asked quietly and suppressed a shudder as he remembered Hermione's screams. `And I know she only lied to save Draco. But can you think of a better reason for finally defying Voldemort? Her motives don't matter; at least not to me. What really matters is the choices one makes, whatever the reason for making them. She chose to help me when it really counted. Dumbledore always believed that and I reckon he would have given them another chance too. Besides, I reckon Kingsley is going to have enough trouble rebuilding our world without making even more enemies. Am I right?' he asked, turning to the Minister.

Kingsley regarded him thoughtfully. `Yes; you're right. We may have won but there remains much to be done. Not everyone will be glad to see the demise of Voldemort. I fear I will have to tread very carefully at first.'

`So what are you proposing?' asked Arthur. `Are you planning wholesale reforms?'

Kinglsey pursed his lips. `Eventually, Arthur. But first I must consolidate my position.' He sighed. `To be perfectly honest, I never sought nor expected to ever achieve such a position. I was happy as an Auror.'

`So why did you take the job?' asked Hermione.

Kingsley regarded her for a long moment. `Because there was no one else. At least; no one I would trust. I believe we have a great opportunity to make changes in our society that will be beneficial for all. I believe we finally have the chance to remove some of the oldest prejudices in our world and build a society that is worthy of our victory. Albus always dreamed of a fairer system and worked all of his life to achieve this. I think I can fulfil his dream, but first I have to rebuild.'

Harry cleared his throat. He saw an opening and decided to exploit it. `What kind of changes? Do you mean improved rights for non-human creatures? That sort of thing?' He spoke as nonchalantly as he could, almost as if he was discussing the weather. `Is that the kind of thing you are talking about? Improved rights for House Elves and Giants and Werewolves and such?' he pointedly did not look at Hermione as he asked this.

Kingsley smiled. `That's exactly the sort of thing I am talking about, Harry. Once I establish my position, one of the first things I will do is tackle the issue of House Elf abuse. They deserve it after fighting for us against Voldemort. I will send envoys to the giants too, though I suspect that they will be quite content to remain alone. It will not hurt to establish diplomatic links with them.'

`And werewolves?' asked Ron and Harry was impressed by how casual he sounded.

Kingsley's face darkened. `I'm afraid we will encounter some opposition in that regard,' he began. `That particular issue will take a long time to sort out.' He turned to Bill. `I'm sorry about this; I really am. If it were entirely up to me I would deal with the issue immediately, but I think that the opposition to werewolf reform will be too much to bear at the present time. The public will not accept any attempt to give werewolves equal status.'

`But that's not fair!' exclaimed Harry. `They deserve better treatment!' He realised he was getting angry and made an effort to contain himself. `What about Remus? And Bill? They fought Voldemort to the end.'

`I know it isn't fair, Harry. And I know exactly what Remus and Bill contributed. But I need to knit our society together and it will take time. My position is built on sand at the moment. I am Provisional Minister. If I even attempt to reform the law on werewolves then I will be out of office before I even begin.' He held up his hand as Harry made to interrupt. `I understand your frustration, Harry; I really do. But you have to remember that while Remus and Bill fought against Voldemort, more werewolves fought for him. Greyback led significant numbers into the recent battle and many of them escaped - we still haven't found Greyback himself. The public - not to mention the Wizengamot - will not even consider werewolf reform until we deal with those who fought for Voldemort.'

`But they only fought for him because he promised them equality! They have been discriminated against for centuries by our kind. Can you blame them?'

`I'm well aware of that, Harry. I do not blame them, but others will. You said it yourself. One's motives don't matter. What really matters is the choices that one makes. They chose to support Voldemort.'

Harry opened his mouth to respond but found that he did not have the words to express himself. He was damned by his own words. `That's unfair to them, Kingsley. It's not the same.' It sounded lame; even to him.

`Harry, you and I both know it is the same.' He held up his arms, almost as if trying to placate an enemy. `No need to remind you that I'm on your side, Harry. I agree with you entirely. But we are in the minority; it will take a long time to resolve this issue. As you say, centuries of prejudice have to be dealt with. I need to walk before I can run. My priority has to be rebuilding our society. I will have to work with people I would rather not deal with. Rooting out the bad eggs will take time so I will not be able to tackle such a contentious issue until I establish myself. If I establish myself.'

Harry felt the frustration threaten to overwhelm him. He had been aiming to offer Hermione some hope that she might not face the same hostility as Remus if she was fully cursed. Instead, Kingsley had merely confirmed her deepest fears. It would be years - if ever - before werewolves would be accepted as part of mainstream society. He turned to Hermione, his eyes apologetic.

She looked straight back at him and their eyes met. Without saying a word, she managed to communicate to Harry that she was grateful for his effort - that no apology was needed. He could sense her distress; could almost taste her fear as the implications of Kingsley's assessment finally hit home. He nodded gently to her, sending a message.

I'll be at your side, Hermione. All the way - whatever it takes.

She held his gaze for a few moments longer before nodding in return.

I know, Harry. Thank you.

***********

Hermione remained in her chair as she watched the others file out of the room. The mood - which had already been sombre as a result of Fred's funeral - was now very contemplative as each person considered what Harry had divulged and struggled to digest everything that he had done to finally overcome Voldemort. She suspected that there were many more questions that needed answers but she also knew that everyone present recognised that Harry would not be forthcoming with any more revelations. He had said everything he intended to say and she knew he would not be budged on the issue.

Kingsley's comments had given everyone food for thought too. Anyone labouring under the misapprehension that everything would be rosy now that Voldemort was gone was seriously evaluating what the Minister had said. It was clear that Kingsley faced a lot of opposition to his appointment and that he had a monumental task in front of him as he strove to knit together the various strands of the magical world. That he would not have carte blanche to act was something she had always known, but she suspected that this had come as an unpleasant surprise to some of the others.

Not least to Harry.

She smiled as she recalled his none-too-subtle attempts to discuss werewolf rights. Only she, Harry, Ron, Bill and Minerva knew why he had asked about the subject and she was grateful for his efforts. She was grateful to Ron too for showing an uncharacteristic display of tact and decorum. It seemed her "two boys" were doing everything they could for her and while she appreciated the fact, she was aware that there was only so much either of them could do. The tenth day of the month would ultimately decide her fate.

It was for this reason that she remained in her seat. She waited until the next to last person had reached the door before calling out to the oldest Weasley son.

`Bill? Do you mind if we have a quick word?'

Bill Weasley smiled at the question and it was clear to Hermione that he had been expecting it. She didn't think she was so transparent but evidently Bill had noticed her predicament.

`No problem, Hermione,' he finally replied, quietly shutting the door as he did so. `What can I do for you?'

Now that she had him alone, she didn't know where to begin. She took a few moments to gather her thoughts.

`I don't know quite how to put this,' she began. `But I have been feeling a bit…tense recently. Is that normal, do you think?'

Bill didn't answer immediately. Instead, he poured himself a glass of Firewhisky as he considered how to answer. She shook her head at his unspoken offer of a drink and watched as he sat down in the chair opposite with a deep sigh.

`You have every right to be tense, Hermione. You have been through a lot this week.'

She considered his statement briefly. `It's not just that,' she began slowly. `If it were just that then I would not be worried. You see, I'm feeling…irritable? Short-tempered? It's hard to explain but I've found myself being needled by the least little thing the past few days. I was wondering if it was because…'

`…because it's getting closer to the full moon,' finished Bill, flatly. `It's possible, Hermione. Indeed; it's probable.' He smiled suddenly and it lit up his face. `I get a bit tetchy too when the full moon draws close. Fleur calls it my PLT.'

Hermione took a few seconds to work this out. She smiled once she caught on.

`PLT? You mean "pre-lunar tension?'

Bill laughed gently. `Yeah, that's what she calls it. I tell her it's only fair as she gets a bit cranky three days a month too. Thankfully we are not in sync; Merlin help us if we are both "on" at the same time. She can be temperamental enough at the best of times…'

Despite herself, Hermione laughed at the absurdity of the situation. `So it's normal to get a bit…edgy as the full moon draws closer?'

Bill nodded. `Entirely normal. Remus used to suffer from it too. We discussed it when I was first bitten.' He looked directly into her eyes and offered her a reassuring smile. `The PLT isn't any worse for those fully cursed, if that is what you are wondering. I felt exactly as Remus did for most of the month and was subject to the same stresses he was. It was only when the moon was full that our differences became apparent. He would lose all control and I would remain in command of my faculties. So don't dwell on it; the fact that you are feeling a bit…odd is neither here nor there. It doesn't tell us if you are fully cursed or not. So don't give up hope.'

Hermione smiled at the words and felt the pressure abate somewhat. She knew that she might still be fully cursed, but Bill's words of reassurance had convinced her not to fear the worst. At least not yet. She decided to probe further.

`So can you tell me what it's like?' she asked tentatively. `Not actually being a werewolf. I was thinking more about the prejudice you face.'

Bill seemed to take a moment to consider the question. `I guess I'm just lucky,' he finally replied. `I have a woman who loves me for being me and doesn't care about my condition; I have a family that doesn't give a toss either and I work for the Goblins who don't care so long as I keep making them money. It really hasn't affected me too badly. I've encountered a bit of hostility from some people, but not anyone worth bothering about.' He looked up and saw a flash of relief on Hermione's face. He decided he would have to break her heart and plunged on. `You have to understand something though; I'm the exception to the rule. Most werewolves have to deal with appalling discrimination. Remus couldn't get a job for love nor money and when he finally did get one, he was forced to leave as soon as the truth about his condition was revealed. Whether you are fully cursed or not, you are going to face a lot of hostility, whatever you decide to do with your life. If word gets out, that is. What are your plans anyway?'

`No idea,' she replied. `I haven't really thought about it. We had so much to do.' She shrugged. `I thought maybe working in research; or politics? Maybe even teaching,' she added wistfully. `I really don't know.'

`Well, let me give you some advice; keep this close to your chest. You, Harry and Ron occupy a unique position in our society for what you did. If anyone could keep this a secret then I reckon you three could. You might need to tell Kingsley but you can trust him. But keep it under wraps as best you can regardless of how bad the curse is. Not even Harry will be able to save you from ostracism if word gets out. Prejudices are too deep-rooted. I hate to break this to you but you need to know what you will be facing.'

Hermione nodded soberly at his words. She'd an idea of just how bad things might get, but Bill's cold assessment of reality had put paid to any suggestion of convincing the majority that werewolves could be trusted.

`Thanks, Bill,' she finally replied. `I'd rather know the truth than be comforted by lies. I'll find out sooner or later anyway and I would rather it was sooner. Forewarned is forearmed.'

Bill nodded his understanding. `Just so you know, my door is always open if you ever want advice - even if you just need to talk.' He smiled suddenly. `It would be even if you weren't going out with my brother.'

She blushed at this remark, not realising that her and Ron's burgeoning relationship was common knowledge. Bill noticed her reaction and laughed heartily.

`If you are going out with my brother you're going to need all the help you can get,' he added with a mischievous glint.

She regarded him for a moment, slightly shocked by the jest. Then, despite the stress-despite the edginess and the worry-she threw back her head and laughed heartily.

Things might just be OK after all.

***********

Harry did his best to concentrate on the chess board in front of him. He reached out and groped for his bottle before putting it to his lips and taking a mouthful of Butterbeer. He was in trouble; Ron was-as usual-completely thrashing him and Harry saw no way out of his current predicament. His chess pieces were eying him nervously and finally, he let out a relieved sigh as he accepted the inevitable and gently toppled over his King. He looked up at Ron, a smile on his face.

`Want a rematch?'

Ron tried his best not to look too smug but failed miserably. He cast his eyes up over Harry's shoulder and noticed something that he should have seen earlier-something Harry should have seen earlier too.

`Nah; I reckon I'll just rest on my laurels for the moment. I'm going to see if I can find Hermione; I've been wondering where she has got to. I'll be back in a minute,' he added before quickly leaving the room.

Harry was perplexed; it seemed as if Ron couldn't get out of his company quickly enough. What's he up to?

`Harry? Have you got a minute?'

He nearly jumped out of his skin at the voice, not realising that there was someone else in the room. He turned to the source and it suddenly dawned on him why Ron had made such a hasty exit. It appeared that his friend had suddenly developed a sense of discretion.

`Hi, Ginny. Of course I have a minute.'

He watched as she nodded at his words and moved to join him at the kitchen table. He did his best to suppress a small smile as he realised that Ginny had probably manipulated events so she could have a moment alone with him. While he wasn't too happy at the prospect he knew that they were long overdue a talk.

`How are you?' she asked and he could tell she was nervous. `Are you feeling better after your…break?'

He felt suddenly guilty; the knowledge that he had not given her a second thought when he'd left Hogwarts after his argument with Hermione rushed to the front of his mind.

`I'm feeling much better, thanks,' he began. `I'm really sorry I never spoke to you before I left. I should have told you what I was doing. You deserved that at least.'

`You don't owe me anything, Harry. Not after what you did. I…I just wanted to make sure you were OK.'

He smiled. `Thanks. I'm OK.' He paused for a moment as he decided how best to proceed. He became aware of the sweat that had formed on the palms of his hands and he had to force himself not to wipe them on his trousers. This is ridiculous! I defeated Voldemort! Surely I can talk to Ginny!

`I reckon that's not all you wanted to speak to me about?' he asked gently. He forced a smile to try and put her at ease.

She flushed and looked away. `No it wasn't.' she replied simply. `I don't want to rush you or anything but I was wondering…wondering if we can pick up from where we left off; if you want to pick up from where we left off.'

Harry considered her words. A year ago, his answer would have been obvious and immediate; he would have said "yes" and then drawn her into a kiss. Now, after everything that had occurred, he wasn't so sure. He cleared his throat. `You have been very patient with me, Ginny. More patient than I deserve. I should have spoken to you before now about this. I'm sorry.'

She waved away his apology. `Don't be silly. You had more important things to deal with.'

`No I didn't. I was being selfish…I should have spoken to you before now,' he repeated, before sighing. He found himself looking at the chessboard in front of him, wondering why he'd been avoiding this conversation. It's because you do have more important things to deal with, you idiot! said a voice in his head. He leaned back in his chair and ran his fingers through his hair, finding it difficult to look at her straight in the eye. All he could think of at that moment was Hermione and he realised that an image of her had popped into his head as soon as Ginny had said the words "more important". It occurred to him that Hermione's problems were more important to him and he found himself wondering what that meant. His reverie was broken when Ginny spoke again, almost as if from a distance.

`And what would you have said to me?' she asked softly. `What would we have spoken about?'

Harry felt both questions strike him like a blow as he was dragged back into reality and he found himself leaning forward again, his hands falling to his sides as he once more looked at the chess pieces on the table in front of him. He found himself considering her words. What the hell would I have said to her?

In the silence that stretched out between them, he finally realised the only honest answer he could give her.

`I don't know.' He finally looked up at her and saw her eyes widen at his words.

`You don't know?'

He shook his head. `Not any more. Six months ago-hell, even a few weeks ago-I'd have been able to answer you. I'd have told you that I wanted things to be back the way they were last year; that I thought about you all year; that I used to look at the Marauders Map to see if I could find you-to see if you were OK.' As he recalled the memory, it suddenly occurred to him that he had only done so as an excuse not to have to face Hermione's tears as she sobbed in her corner of the tent. He closed his eyes, ashamed at his actions and aware that this was something Ginny did not need to know. It was also something that made him consider his motives for acting as he did. His train of thought was interrupted as Ginny finally replied.

`So what changed, Harry,' she asked softly. `What changed in a few weeks to make you "not know" anymore?'

He looked directly at her as he realised the truth. `Everything,' he replied softly. `Everything changed." He closed his eyes for a brief moment before continuing. `It's hard to explain. Last year I dared to dream. I dared to dream that we might actually win and that you and I might have a future. Then the thought came to me a few weeks ago that I wouldn't come through it. I resigned myself to dying and I was able to reconcile myself to that so long as I took Voldemort with me. I honestly thought that I wouldn't make it and I forgot all about my future; our future. Now that it's all over, now that the future is here and I'm still a part of it, I don't know what I want. Can you understand that?'

Ginny nodded soberly. `I think I can, Harry. Do you need more time? I don't mind waiting,' she added, hope in her voice.

`I do,' he replied abruptly. `You deserve more than I can give you, Ginny. A lot more. It's not fair on you to ask you to wait any longer because I have no idea if I will ever be able to give you what you want. I don't even know what I want anymore,' he added.

`I'll still be here when you finally do know,' she replied. `I dared to dream too, and you are my dream.'

He shook his head at these words. `Don't, Ginny. I fear that is all it is-all it will ever be; a dream. I don't want to give you false hope. I don't want any misunderstanding here,' he added.

`Are we breaking up?' she asked, a catch in her voice.

He looked at her with a steady gaze. `I'm sorry, Ginny. It wasn't supposed to be like this,' he replied. `I'm not even sure if we have anything to break up,' he added in almost a whisper. He hadn't meant to sound so callous but he realised that he had only voiced his innermost thoughts. He watched quietly as Ginny stood up, her hands balled into fists at her side.

`I'm not giving up so easily, Harry. I'll still be here when you finally see sense,' she added, defiantly. She turned away quickly and hastened for the stairs, obviously going to her room.

He picked up the white queen from the chessboard and sighed deeply as he pondered it. So much for not having any misunderstandings, said the little voice in his head. He knew this still needed to be resolved but he suddenly felt as if he could sleep for a week. It was as if all the burdens he'd been carrying of late suddenly exacted their price and sapped him of his strength. He lowered his head.

He didn't know how long he sat examining the chess piece in his hand before a voice finally broke into his thoughts.

`Where's Ginny?'

He looked up and was greeted by a concerned expression on the face of Hermione and a confused look from Ron.

`In her room.'

`Why?' asked Ron. `We sorted it so you could have some time together. You two were supposed to…' he stopped as Hermione nudged him firmly in the ribs.

`Supposed to what, Ron?' Harry bit back. `Supposed to snog each other senseless? Fall into each other's arms and live happily ever after?' he snapped. `It doesn't always work out like that.'

`What happened, Harry?' asked Hermione softly.

Harry shrugged. `We broke up, I guess. I don't think Ginny believes me but we broke up.'

`Why?' asked Ron and there was a hint of anger as well as a sense of loss in his tone. Harry looked at him.

`We just did, Ron. I'm not in the mood to explain myself to you right now. I'm going to bed; I'm exhausted. I'll talk to you tomorrow,' he added as he abruptly stood and pushed between his two friends as he too retreated towards the stairs.

Hermione watched him go, a sense of sadness growing within her. She turned to Ron and noticed him eye Harry's retreating back, his lips thin. She could tell he wasn't happy about this but it really was none of their business. Finally Ron turned to face her, forcing a smile.

`They'll be fine. It's been a tough week. They'll sort it out in the morning.'

Hermione smiled her agreement but deep down she knew better.

Valid HTML 4.0! Document created with wvWare/wvWare version 1.2.7

-->