Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just Breathe by Phoenix_eyes15
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just Breathe

Phoenix_eyes15

o o o o o

This ruddy tie definitely wasn't working for him -- it was nothing like the striped Gryffindor uniform ties he had become accustomed to wearing during his youth. As his shirt and the evil tie became ever entangled beyond repair, Harry sighed frustratingly. Moments later, he had managed to free himself by unbuttoning his collar and tugging away the stubborn tie that had progressed into a massive silver knot. Ties weren't really proper for tonight anyway, he reflected silently. He was nervous enough without having to worry about rebellious garments trying to strangle him.

Glancing down at his wristwatch, Harry noticed that he now had exactly fifteen minutes until Hermione would arrive. And Hermione was as notorious for being early as Ron was for being late. He threw the unruly tie onto his bed and turned to his closet, where he selected a dark green dress shirt that he had been told more than once complimented his emerald eyes most enchantingly. Quickly unbuttoning the white shirt he had been wearing and tossing it too onto the bed, Harry paused only slightly to gaze at the long, thin scar that ran vertically down from his left shoulder to his heart. It was his only physical reminder of that fateful night nearly six months prior…

[Flashback]

He could not see nor feel any portion of his bleeding body -- all which focused in his mind was deep concentration. Thoughts and memories flew by, framed by wisps of whitish-silver light. His past, his life, and the faces of those he loved appeared ceaselessly before his eyes. It felt as if he were swimming in a massive, never-ending pensieve.

Harry knew he shouldn't be here --that he somehow needed to escape from this limbo. But the train of recollections that were pounding their way into his mind wouldn't cease. He saw his parents in the Mirror of Erised…the blinded Basilisk struggling angrily against Fawks... Sirius flying away beneath the full moon on Buckbeak…himself flying on his Firebolt in the Quidditch match for the cup seventh year…he saw Lupin…then Ginny…then Molly…then Luna…

The memories and images continued to play before him until he came to the day where he met Ron on Platform Nine and Three-quarters. This stirred something inside him, but the memory was gone in one smooth wave, replaced silkily by the memory of his and Hermione's first kiss. That thought too stirred something inside Harry, and he fought mentally to hold onto the image of Hermione's face.

It had been during the Final Battle, minutes before Harry was to face Voldemort for the last time. They had both known how they'd felt for one another, yet never admitted to anyone. The loving, anxious, fearful look she had given him told Harry more than she could have ever said in words. He had quickly captured her lips tenderly with his own, both standing amid a tattered Hogwarts castle riddled with the dead and dying. The kiss slowly deepened and turned desperate as they each came to realize that this first kiss could very well be their last.

Without warning the memory faded away. At that moment he knew he had to hold on --for a chance to make things right with Hermione.

Suddenly, as quickly and as ceaselessly as the blink of an eye, the thin veil separating the living from the dead lifted, and Harry awoke.

His right eye opened a crack, but closed just a promptly as a tear splashed upon it. Rubbing his eyes groggily, Harry took a sharp intake of breath as a shrill pain flooded about his left shoulder.

"Careful," a voice said quietly.

He recognized it at once. "Her-mione?"

Hermione smiled blurredly. Or at least that's how it looked to Harry. "Hey," she said softly. "Do you want you glasses?"

With a momentous effort, he nodded, and within a few seconds Hermione had carefully placed the black frames on Harry's face.

The first image he saw the one he wanted to see most in the entire world -- Hermione. The bright lighting of the room lit her face up, highlighting the tears she had tried to wipe away moments before. Half-healed cuts and scrapes were visible along neck, jaw line, and face. She was still grinning, her eyes alive with a glow that had been extinguished for far too long.

"Crying?" he asked hoarsely. "Come on…I don't snore that badly…"

Hermione gave an appreciative little snigger. "How are you feeling?"

Harry closed his eyes as in deep concentration. "Terrible," he finally announced seconds later. "And thirsty."

Hermione rose from her place beside Harry's bed to retrieve a pitcher of water across the room. "I can help with the second part," she said as she handed him a glass of cool water. "The pain you'll have to live with."

"Peachy," was his reply before the cool water went down his parched throat. "Saint Mungo's?"

She nodded. "Yes, you've been here for a little over a week."

Harry coughed at this piece of news, spluttering water everywhere. "A week? Did I have brain surgery or something?"

"No." Hermione's grin faltered a bit as she moved to clean up the spilled liquid. "You were just…well you were…" She seemed to be struggling with the ability of speech.

Harry stared at her intently. "What? Did I grow horns? Whiskers?" He looked around wildly. "A tail?"

Hermione looked aghast. "Don't be daft," she said quickly. "It's just that you were…" She crossed her arms in front of her. "Very seriously injured."

Harry grinned, which in turn he discovered too hurt him. "Is that all?"

"It's not funny," Hermione said quietly. "The knife Bellatrix stabbed you with was cursed. The medi-wizards couldn't get the wound to heal…and you had lost so much blood already…" She rubbed her eyes tiredly and looked away from him.

"Hermione…"

"And then they wouldn't let me see you…" she said in a bitter tone. "Saying how I was injured and needed to be treated…rubbish…"

"You were injured," Harry interjected, frowning.

Hermione looked up, her chocolate eyes anxious, worried. "Not as bad as you."

Harry saw the fear, the pain, the hours of lost sleep and drink over him. "Come here." He motioned for her to sit down next to him on the surly hospital bed.

"I'm not made of glass you know," he teased as she very carefully joined him on the St. Mungo's crest emblazoned bed sheets.

"Why do you keep on making jokes?" she said almost angrily, avoiding his gaze. "This is really serious. You could have died-"

Harry carefully grasped her chin, forcing her to look into his eyes. "But I didn't." They stared at each other for several moments before Hermione looked down.

"I was wrong," she announced heavily, once again crossing her arms around herself.

Harry took another sip of water. "You? Never…"

"I was." She looked up at him. "Bellatrix used Polyjuice Potion to turn into to Cho. Then made Dolohov change into-"

A look of comprehension dawned on Harry's face. "Me."

Hermione nodded. "It was all a plan -- a game. A sick little game."

"To break us up," Harry said shaking his head. "Why?"

"To cause pain. Anguish. She wanted revenge."

Harry sighed heavily, which he discovered also hurt. He grimaced slightly. "Where is she now?"

"Azkaban, I suppose. Or on her way there."

"And Ron and Ginny?"

"Perfect. Gin was promoted at the Auror Academy. And Ron just left. He was watching you before I got here."

"Ah…I was being baby-sat?" Harry said wryly.

"We didn't want you to wake up all alone," Hermione countered. "Besides, we've all been going bonkers without you."

Harry grinned, glad at the lightening of the mood. "Well, I'm flattered Miss Granger."

But Hermione was now staring very seriously at him. "Harry…"

"What?"

"I'm sorry for accusing you of cheating," she said softly, evenly. "I-I know you would have never so much as kissed another girl. It's just that I saw you…I mean…Dolohov as you…and I completely lost it. All my logical thinking went out the window." She sighed and began tracing the pattern of the bed sheets below her with her finger. "I can't believe I was so thick."

"Neither can I." Harry looked away from her, the hurt from Hermione's accusations still lingering as fresh as his wound.

Hermione looked away too, ashamed at her blatant distrust. "I'm sorry," she said quietly, running a hand nervously through her hair.

"It's not just this time either," Harry started. "Remember the article in Witch Weekly? The one that Cho supposedly wrote?"

Hermione felt like a naughty six year old being reprimanded. "Yes."

"Lately it's been like you don't trust me."

"But I do-"

He gave her a hard look. "Are you sure about that?"

Hermione exhaled and searched her mind for how to explain herself. "When I get emotional about something, the conclusion I reach often turns out to be wrong. You know that."

"But you've known since we were kids what people say about me, Hermione." She opened her mouth to protest, but Harry cut her off. "And I know what you're going to say. But seeing something doesn't always make it truthful, especially were magic is concerned."

She stood up from the bed. "I know that now. Believe me, it's all I could think about when Bellatrix had me." She shuddered at the thought of the cold, dark cell in which she was entombed for so long. "If I could, I'd take it all back! But I can't. I-I don't know what else to say to you but I'm sorry."

Silent tears were rimming her eyes. "I love you, Harry. I always have. I don't want us to be over just because I assumed something."

A precarious pause filled the room as the pair stared at each other, each searching themselves for what to do or say next.

It was Harry who spoke first. "Hermione…poor judgment and a couple of days aren't going to change how I feel about you." He reached out for her hand. "I don't throw the term love around a whole lot. Every time I loved someone they were taken from me."

"Harry…"

"You're the first person I've ever fallen in love with and it felt like a kick in the face when you ran out of the Burrow that night."

"I know. I understand." She wiped her eyes quietly with a tissue. "What should we do then?"

Harry sighed. "You know what the funny thing is about near death-experiences?"

Hermione stared. "No."

"They make you realize what's really important in life. They even make you want to make up with your girlfriend, even on the rare occasion where you're actually right and should hold it over their head forever." He grinned.

Hermione smiled too. She sat back down next to him. "Really?"

"Really." He couldn't resist any longer after that. He released one of her hands so he could place his along the side of her face and drew her toward him. He brushed his lips on hers softly at first, then more passionately as the kiss intensified…

[End flashback]

Harry shook slightly his head to rid his mind of the memory.

That was all the past, he told himself. Focus on the present. Focus on tonight.

A romantic evening lay ahead for both Harry and Hermione. Tonight was New Years Eve and he was spending it alone with Hermione at 12 Grimmauld Place. Molly had invited the couple over to the Burrow for what Fred and George tenderly called the annual "Weasley Piss Party", where nearly everyone save Hermione and Lupin would become roaring (and rather hilariously) drunk by midnight. The pair had politely declined however, wanting instead to ring in the New Year's quietly together.

But Harry had an ulterior motive for wanting to be alone with Hermione for the evening. And it was currently burning a hole in his pant pocket. With a quick glance at his watch (nearly ten minutes now) he finished dressing.

"You're going to be fine. Just breathe and relax," he told himself as he tried hopelessly to smooth his hair in front of his bedroom mirror. Just then a light knocking sounded from the hall. Harry glanced at the mirror one last time. "Wish me luck," he said to no one in particular.

"Good luck dear," the mirror replied stiffly in his wake.

o o o o o

Hermione stood on shadowed concrete entryway to 12 Grimmauld Place, anxiously waiting for Harry to answer the door. She sincerely hoped her knocking hadn't woken up Mrs. Black; this was their evening, and no one would be calling her a Mudblood tonight. She heard his dull foot steps get closer. The knob on the black door began turning and the shining face of the man she loved appeared before her.

"Hey," she said happily as she pulled him into a warm embrace.

"Happy New Year," Harry said returning the fond hug. They both stepped into the house as Harry shut the door and took Hermione's coat. Finally in the lighted hallway, Harry paused, mouth slightly ajar, to gaze at his girlfriend.

Hermione had let her hair down in ringlet curls that splashed across her bare back. Her dress was a crimson shade of red in halter top form; it allowed her just enough room in the neck line to show off the same necklace she had worn to Harry's birthday. The dress hugged her body in all the flattering places yet left enough to Harry's imagination. Her light amount of makeup let her natural good looks shine through; this was something that had always impressed Harry, as he had never attracted much to girls who looked like clowns.

Hermione took no notice of Harry, and was instead peering around her at the house. "No clothes strung about? No rodents scurrying away from the light?" she asked cheekily. "I'm impressed."

"I cleaned," Harry said simply, happily, as if he were a little boy in grade school. He gave a huge, fake cheesy grin.

"And I am very proud," she said laughing while she pinched his cheek fondly. Harry gently grasped her outstretched arm and pulled her to him.

"Can we skip dinner?"

He descended the staircase leading to the living room he noticed how sparkling his place looked tonight, the tidy atmosphere was the result of his intense cleaning efforts.

Harry genuinely complimented as he took the time to appreciate how beautiful she looked tonight. "Hermione you look absolutely stunning this evening."

Hermione had let her hair down in ringlet curls that splashed across her bare back. Her dress was a crimson shade of red in halter top form; it allowed her just enough room in the neck line to show off the same necklace she had worn to Harry's birthday. The dress hugged her body in all the right places yet left enough to Harry's imagination. Her light amount of makeup let her natural good looks shine through; this was something that had always impressed Harry. He had never attracted by girls who looked like clowns.

Hermione took no notice of Harry, and was instead peering around her at the house. "No clothes strung about? No rodents scurrying away from the light?" she asked cheekily. "I'm impressed."

"I cleaned," Harry said simply, happily, as if he were a little boy in grade school. He gave a huge, fake cheesy grin,

"And I am very proud," she said laughing while she pinched his cheek fondly. Harry gently grasped her outstretched arm and pulled her to him.

"Can we skip dinner?"

As the evening passed by Harry and Hermione reminisced on old times and joked about the stupid things both of them had done in the past to hide their true feelings.

Giggling Hermione said "And Harry do you remember the time when Fred waltzed right up to us, barged into our conversation and demanded to know when we were to confess our un-dying love to each other? We both turned as bright as a beet and you excused yourself to the restroom, you were trying to get away so fast that you almost tripped three times before you made it." She finished with a fit of laughter but abruptly halted when she noticed the wicked gleam in Harry's eyes.

"Oh you think that's funny, do you Hermione? Well I'll show you funny!" He called to her as he got up from the couch and began chasing her down the hallway. She ran into his room, rounded the bed, and was out the door before he could reach her. Laughing her way back down the hallway Hermione screamed with delight when Harry finally captured her, tackling her to the ground.

"Now you see funny." Harry shouted as her began tickling her sides while roars of giggles erupted from his girlfriend. Hermione stopped struggling and he looked deep into her eyes realizing that his whole day would mean nothing if he didn't get to see those eyes every moment of it, he remembered how much he loves her and slowly moves his lips to hers. She smiles and moves toward him to deepen the kiss, he takes her in his arms and moves his hands across her face, noticing that the best place to be was right there, next to her...with great hesitation, he moves back, grins at her, and starts tickling her until her face lights up with the smile that he lives for. Thrilled and so happy to be with him...she advances tickling him back. The feeling comes over him again and he is helpless to it, once more he cups her face in his hands and creeps closer, savoring every moment his lips edge closer to hers cradling her in his arms, he holds her tight, not wanting her to leave or him to wake up for this surely must be a dream, he gently reaches for her hand and turns her to face him, flashing her beautiful chocolate eyes at him only one thing comes to mind, this is the moment.

"Hermione there is something…" He starts to say but Hermione unintentionally cut him off.

"Look Harry the countdown is on!" she shouts as she stands up from her position on the floor, Harry follows her up and notices that there are ten seconds till the new year. Hermione looked at Harry as he got down on one knee, and removed the contents of his pant pocket to hold in front of her.

10

9

"Hermione Jane Granger…" His heart is pounding so loud that he wouldn't doubt the fact she could hear it.

8

7

"I have loved you so long, and I will love you and only you for eternity…" Tears welled up in her eyes and splashed along her scarlet dress.

6

5

Harry took a deep breath, "Will you marry me?" Hermione's face lit up instantly.

4

3

"Oh yes Harry I will, a million times yes!" was Hermione's joyful acceptance, as Harry placed the sparkling diamond ring on the correct finger.

2

1

Harry stood from his place on the ground, grabbed Hermione by the waist and pulled her into an adoring kiss just in time to hear the sounds of everyone ringing in the New Year.

The end.

o o o o o

Authors Note: Please don't hurt me. What excuse can I offer other than I have a clinical problem with procrastination. But here is some good news…the school year is over…meaning I have time to actually write to my hearts content! I'm going to try to mostly do short chapter fics, even one-shot storys. (That way I won't disappoint you guys with the lack of updates…it's cruel!)

I deeply and sincerely apologize for the lateness. It's touching to see how many of you kept checking for updates. Thank you so much.

Look for some more of my work coming out soon. I'll soon be getting a new author name. I'll post it as a new chapter on this story when it happens. So on behalf of myself and my co-author Jaime, once again thank you and God bless. Until we meet again!


-->