Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just Breathe by Phoenix_eyes15
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just Breathe

Phoenix_eyes15

Author's Note: Enjoy!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My inspiration has run dry
That's what's going on, nothings right, I'm torn

I'm all out of faith, this is how I feel
I'm cold and I am shamed lying on the floor
Illusion never changed into something real
I'm wide awake and I can see the perfect sky is torn
I'm all out of faith, this is how I feel
I'm cold and I'm ashamed bound and broken on the floor
You're a little late, I'm already torn.

-Natalie Imbruglia, "Torn"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the last notes of the song faded into a new, faster beat, Hermione felt a gentle tap on her bare shoulder.

"Sorry to interrupt," Ron said to the couple "but Mum wants your help in the kitchen, 'Mione."

Hermione glanced at the pouty expression on her boyfriend's face.

"Don't worry Potter" she laughed. "I'll be back before you know it." She gave him a quick peck on the lips and moved to pull away, but Harry drew her back into his arms like a yo-yo and into a sweet kiss that lingered long enough for Ron to emit a loud, impatient sigh.

"For the love of Merlin, Ron. You'd think you would be used to it by now!" Hermione remarked turning toward the house and walking off to help Molly.

"Great turnout, huh?" Ron commented, turning his attention to Harry. But Harry wasn't looking at Ron all. All he could see was Hermione walking away.

"Harry? Harrry?! HARRY?!"

"Oh" Harry said snapping back to reality. "Yeah Ron?"

Laughing, Ron managed to get out "You got it bad mate. I think you have no idea how deep you're in."

"Oh I know exactly how deep I'm in, and I love it" Harry said thinking about Hermione. The friends began drifting from the party while their conversation continued.

"I can't believe I waited so long to be with her" he continued as they reached the mossy shores of the small lake a few yards from the Burrow.

"You're telling me. Everyone knew you guys would end up together"

"Really?" Harry asked amusingly.

"Oh yeah. Fred and George even starting taking bets to see how long it would be before you guys got together right around the summer after 5th year."

Harry laughed. An awkward silence ensued as the pair stared transfixedly at the dancing reflections of the stars on the lake.

"Something on your mind mate?" Harry questioned a few moments later.

Ron promptly snapped his head from the water. "No. Course not."

Pause.

"I think I'll go check on mum and Hermione " he said suddenly turning from the gleaming lake.

"I'll come with you" Harry replied following behind him.

"No!" he shouted whirling around to face his friend.

Harry shot him a startled look.

"It's just that…well…"

"Well what?" Harry pressed.

"I'm not supposed to tell you…" Ron said slowly, a hint of perspiration appearing on his forehead. "Just…just wait here for me."

"Why?" Harry asked, eyebrows raised.

"You just can't go into the house right now. They told me to keep you out-of-site."

"Is this another surprise?" Harry inquired folding his arms across his chest.

"Well…it'll definitely be a surprise…" Ron replied slowly as he turned once again back toward the party. "Just stay here mate…you'll see why in a few minutes. Oh, and if mum asks, you never heard a peep put of me, got it?"

"Won't breathe a word" Harry laughed as he watched his best friend make his way to the house. Alone once again Harry's mind began to wander toward Hermione. Staring out into the hypnotizing lake once more, his right hand subconsciously strayed into the pocket of his black slacks and began fiddling with a small velvety box. His stomach fluttered nervously as if it were filled with wild doxies. Harry thought the night so far had been picture perfect, but if fate was on his side, it would turn out to be much more.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You wanted to see me Molly?" Hermione asked bounding up behind the flaming-red haired witch wearing lacy deep purple dress robes who was busily perched over something large and white.

"Oh no, I'm fine dear. Just putting the finishing touches on Harry's birthday cake" she replied, still hunched over.

"Oh. Are you sure?" Hermione said a bit taken aback. "Ron told me-"

"Nonsense. You go back into the yard and dance up a storm with that boyfriend of yours. It is his birthday, of course."

"But Molly, I insist-"

"You are a guest dear. Besides, it's already done" she finished slyly straitening up and proudly gesturing toward the stunning four tear white and red cake covered with 21 yellow candles behind her.

"Molly! You've outdone yourself!" Hermione exclaimed staring at the delicious looking creation.

"Thank you dear. Now how about you go find Harry while I levitate this out to the yard?"

"Sure" Hermione answered giving Molly a smile and stepping out of the kitchen only to run smack into a worried looking Ron in the living room.

"You alright?" she questioned him, her honey eyes filled with concern.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Antonin Dolohov peered silently behind a thick tree as he waited apprehensively for Bellatrix's sign. It had been nearly 15 minutes since she had transformed with the Polyjuice Potion. He gazed for the 12th time at the great crescent moon towering menacingly above him as his thoughts wandered to what was to occur in less than a half hour.

Two lovers deceived.

Then ripped apart.

And later…countless lives ruined forever.

But they deserve it, he thought. They all definitely deserve it.

A soft rustle of foliage nearby forced Dolohov back to reality. He turned his head in the direction of the disturbance, but saw nothing. A sudden burning sensation in his left forearm forced the incident from his mind. It was the sign. Uncorking a thin vial from inside his cloak, he quickly placed a handful of short black hairs into the thick potion, causing it to bubble and come alive. The muddy grey solution crackled softly as it turned into a dark burgundy mixture. While waiting for the potion to settle, the hairs on the back of his neck prickled eerily and his eyes darted around suspiciously in the dark.

Someone was watching.

It only took his hawk-like eyes a few seconds to discover who was surveying him. It was a rather small pair of maple- tinted eyes a few feet away. Too small, in fact, to be human he thought. The creature, realizing its concealment had been compromised, bounded forward with lightning fast speed. The great crimson fox adorned with snow-white growled threateningly at the Death Eater as it bared its tiny but very dangerous looking teeth.

"Get outta here!" he gruffed at it. But the beautiful creature simply continued to snarl at him, its captivating eyes never breaking contact with his own cold blue ones. Dolohov whipped his wand out with his free hand from his cloak while the foxes' gaze suddenly shifted to the glass vial in his grasp.

"It's as if it knows what I'm about to do" he murmured under his breath. Suddenly realizing that time was of the essence, Dolohov quickly barked the Stunning Curse at the animal. The fox quickly darted away, but not before giving the Death Eater one last piercing look with its haunting eyes.

"Damn beast" he muttered irritably as he raised the rim of the vial to his cracked lips.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ron, I said are you alright?" Hermione repeated again, still staring up at the frazzled looking wizard in front of her.

"Yeah…course" he responded shakily, running his right hand through his thick red hair.

"Are you sure?" she asked shifting her weight and crossing her arms in front of her. "You look a bit peaky. Feeling ill?"

"Uh...no…" he stammered, then turned his head to the side and coughed forcibly into his hand. Regaining his composure, Ron continued halfheartedly "Harry asked me the same thing. I think you two have been spending too much time together..."

"Where is Harry? Still out on the dance floor?"

"No…no…I think he went into my old room upstairs"

"Your old bedroom? Why would he go in there?"

"Er…I think he said he was looking for someone…" he said slowly.

"Oh. I'll go and fetch him then. It's nearly time for the cake" she said turning to the wooden staircase. "Just wait outside Ron. We'll be down in a minute."

"Right" he said quietly, looking down at his shoes and walking into the yard with his hands in his pockets. Although he was sweating, the cool night air and whistling wind made him shiver. The real Ron, the one in Zombie Ron's mind, was fighting the Imperious Curse with all his might. He kept crying out…kept trying to resist the curse. He had come close too, first with Harry at the lake…and now with Hermione in the Burrow. But he must continue to be strong, keep oppressing the annoyingly persistent Weasel in his mind Ron thought. At least until his task was complete. Then Bellatrix could perform the curse again, but more powerful than before.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Hermione ascended the stairs and turned the corner into the hall, her ears picked up a faint muffled squeaking. After a few moments, she recognized the noise as the trademark sound of Ron's old rickety bed. Intrigued, Hermione leaned her head against the bedroom door, staining to hear what was going on inside. Hearing hushed voices that she could not identify, she slowly turned the rusted brass doorknob and cautiously edged into the darkened room.

Hermione's lips parted and a tiny 'oh' escaped them as she peered curiously at the sight before her.

It was Cho.

Cho and a darkened male figure, sprawled haphazardly on top of Ron's orange Chudley Cannon's comforter. She was laying against the wooden head board of the bed as she and the man kissed passionately, one of his hands running up her leg via the long slit of her black dress. The halter top-like straps of the dress where unfastened, revealing a lacey black brassiere. The man's navy blue dress shirt and white undershirt were lying in a pile next to the bed. His black slacks were still on, but the belt had been thrown across the room in a fit of passion and was now lying directly in front of the door.

Embarrassed, Hermione quickly dropped her head, lowering her gaze, and moved to retract herself from the room. But a muffled sound from Cho stopped her.

"Mmm…Harry…"

Hermione's head shot back up as the couple changed position on the bed. Cho's back was now directly on the comforter, and the man shifted himself above her.

"Do it Harry…hurry…"

"Alright love…alright…"

Hermione froze. Her heart began beating hurriedly in her chest. She knew that voice. She knew that unruly head of hair. She knew that muscular bare back. Her eyes frantically scanned the room. She knew that blue shirt too. And she knew that belt on the floor.

Cho moved to hitch up the skirt of her dress and the man turned slightly, finally allowing Hermione to see his shadowed face.

And it was a face she knew. The face she knew better than anyone else's in the world. The face she lived for, the face she would sacrifice herself for. The face she loved. It was Harry's face.

"No" she whispered fiercely, her voice deadly faint. Hot tears sprang from her eyes as she turned her back from the scene and stumbled dizzily from the room, leaving the door ajar. Her chest was rising quickly as she struggled to breathe. Shallow, horse sobs broke from her as she continued to stagger drunkenly down the hall. A wave of nausea swept from her stomach and she raced dazedly down the staircase, stumbling down the last few and landing with a crash on her knees and palms. Traumatized from what she had just witnessed, she allowed herself to sink fully into the cold floor, emitting low heart-wrenching sobs that shook her tender body. The visions of Harry on Cho, touching her, kissing her, making love to her, kept on replaying themselves in front of her eyes. She shut them fiercely and firmly, hoping to rid her mind of the shock and betrayal. And pain. So much pain.

But the sounds of Harry and Cho continued to repeat over and over in her mind. Her breathless voice gasping 'Do it Harry…hurry' and his swift response of 'Alright love…alright' finally forced Hermione to rise from the cold floor and rush into the loo, where she promptly vomited in the toilet. When she was finished, she collapsed wearily onto the floor, hoping she would wake up and realize everything had been a dream. Just a horrible horrible dream.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *