Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just Breathe by Phoenix_eyes15
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just Breathe

Phoenix_eyes15

Authors Note: This chapter is so short that we're posting the next one immediately after it! And thanks to everyone who has reviewed!

Disclaimer: We don't own Harry Potter or his world. We just live in it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There's a calm surrender to the rush of day
When the heat of a rolling wind can be turned away
An enchanted moment, and it sees me through
It's enough for this restless warrior just to be with you

And can you feel the love tonight
It is where we are
It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer
That we got this far
And can you feel the love tonight
How it's laid to rest
It's enough to make kings and vagabonds
Believe the very best

Elton John, "Can You Feel The Love Tonight"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Crookshanks the cat lay peacefully dozing in front of his master's large ruby-brick fireplace. The soft flames cast a gentle wave of warmth around his ginger colored fur as he smoothly stirred and stretched lazily atop the fine golden throw-rug Mrs. Weasley had given Hermione last year for Christmas, which was emblazed with the glorious burgundy Gryffindor lion in its center.

A large burst of jade colored flames from the fireplace disturbed the tranquil scene however, and a frazzled looking Hermione Granger toppled out of the blaze. Delighted at his owner's arrival, Crookshanks happily rose from rug and purred his way around her ankles.

"Aww…hello my precious" she said sweetly as she tenderly scooped the great ball of auburn fur from the hardwood floor. Stroking his tender fur she suddenly remembered how late she was running.

"Sorry Crookshanks, I'm going to be late to Harry's party if I don't get a move on." She said softly. After planting a quick kiss atop his fluffy head, she dashed to her bedroom to get ready. She approached her closet to pull out the outfit she had purchased for the occasion just last week. She carefully slipped into the white chiffon dress that had cost a small fortune and stepped into the view of her full-length mirror. She loved the dress, but the neckline worried her a bit. It fell lower than she was comfortable with, but she was consoled with the fact that it was partially covered by a brilliant platinum encrusted diamond necklace. It had been an extravagant gift from Harry on their 1st month anniversary. She smiled remembering that night…

"Oh Harry!" she squealed after opening the sapphire velvet case that enclosed the necklace. "It's magnificent, but you shouldn't have! This must have cost you so much!"

"But I wanted to make up all those years that I never acted on my true feelings for you. And as for the money, it was nothing compared to what I would have paid to see that gorgeous smile of yours" He responded earnestly as he removed the necklace from its box and placed it delicately around her neck. As he kissed her softly on her tender cheek, he felt Hermione's tears of bliss trickle lightly down her face and onto his own lips.

"Oh, 'Mione, don't cry" Harry pleaded as he turned to face her. "You know it kills me when you do."

"I'm sorry Harry, but you know what a big baby I am" she whimpered while wiping away her tears.

"You're not a baby" he answered quietly. "You just have a big heart, which is one of the reasons why I love you Hermione Granger."

But her only response was a muffled "Oh Harry", as he swept her into a passionate kiss.

Hermione grinned once more, appreciating now how Harry always made her feel special and loved. Still smiling to herself as she glanced at the clock, it soon registered that she had spent way too much time at 12 Grimmauld Place with Harry and now only had 10 minutes remaining before she had to Apparate to The Burrow to help the Weasley's prepare. Trying not to panic, she calmly yet swiftly finished dressing and primping herself for the evening in record time. With a quick good-bye to Crookshanks, who now lay sprawled between the pillows of her bed, she disappeared to The Burrow with a thunderous crack.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *