Unofficial Portkey Archive

Just Breathe by Phoenix_eyes15
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Just Breathe

Phoenix_eyes15

Authors Note: Authors Note: We haven't been getting many reviews. If you could please let us know what you all think of our (first) story, we would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks, and once again, happy reading!

Disclaimer: Everything belongs to J.K. Rowling.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

If this is the calm before the storm
I fear the end is near
so I look behind the words you say
and try to find
your way out of here
what will be
your way out of here
what will be

your way out of here

-Soraya , "Calm Before The Storm"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Harry's surprise party was in full swing. Hermione and the Weasley's had managed to transform the Burrow's gnome infested yard into a elegant party site, fit for the Minister of Magic himself, who incidentally was engaged at the moment in an waltz with his wife Molly on the glittering white dance floor. Minerva McGonagall and Albus Dumbledore were next to them, McGonagall's lips bending into an upward curve that any one of her former students would confess was as close as a smile they had ever seen on the Deputy Headmistress as Dumbledore lowered her into an extravagant dip. In the center of the shimmering dance floor were Fred (minus the pirate costume) and his girlfriend, former Gryffindor Chaser and Captain Angelina Johnson. The pair were dancing so wildly, with arms flailing and legs kicking all over, that poor Percy was hit straight in the arse by one of Fred's straggling appendages while dancing with his newlywed wife Penelope Clearwater.

"Oops! Sorry there Perce!" Fred apologized breathlessly as Percy shot him a horror-struck glance.

On the other side of the yard, Harry and Hermione seemed to be glued at the hip. Since their passionate (and very public) kiss, neither had left the other's side. The couple was currently engaged in an animated conversation with old schoolmates Parvati Patil, Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnegan, and Lavender Brown.

"Five months already, eh?" Seamus responded when Hermione told them how long she and Harry had been together.

"Yeah, seems like a lot longer though" Harry commented, absentmindedly stretching his neck to peek at the couples on the dance floor.

"What exactly are you implying, Mr. Potter?" Hermione questioned him with wry smile as she moved to playfully pinch his arm.

"No! No!" Harry cried maneuvering his way around her grasp while the on looking Gryffindors erupted into laughter. "I meant…uh… that we've know one another for so long, it seems that we've been dating-"

"Give it up, Harry" Lavender cut in, now clutching her ribs from laughter. "You're fighting a losing battle."

"You're right," Harry scoffed, "but I do intend to win the war."

Hermione, who had attempted to keep a stony look upon her face to give off the effect that she was upset, burst into a fit of mad giggles at Harry's last comment.

"Oh, do I amuse you Miss Granger?" He retorted, pulling her close and into a soft yet intense kiss that made Parvati and Lavender squeal "Aww! How sweet!"

Dean and Seamus simply exchanged meaningful glances and rolled their eyes, as if to say "Geeze! How many times do they have to snog a day?!"

Harry, completely ignoring the girl's comments, slowly broke the kiss and pulled Hermione toward the dance floor.

"Harry?! What do you think you are doing?" she exclaimed in panicky voice.

"They invented the greatest thing, Hermione. It's called dancing. You should really try it."

"Oh, no Harry!" she cried, trying to release his grip on her arm.

"Come on 'Mione. For me?" he asked in a pleading voice, and then gave her the best sad puppy-dog face he could muster and stared at her intently for several seconds.

"You're lucky it's your bloody birthday" Hermione mumbled defeated but with a grin still visible as she finally allowed him to lead her onto the dance floor.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The crescent moon was shining brightly amid the deep night sky as Bellatrix Lestrange and Antonin Dolohov Apparated into the woods surrounding the bustling Weasley home a half hour past seven. She re-adjusted the straps of her halter-top dress while silently retrieving the two slim vials that were nestled in her bra. Handing one to Dolohov, she uncorked the other and placed three long black strands of hair from a muggle zip-lock baggie into the potion. It instantly began to fizzle, soon bubbling into a murky mid-night blue color.

Turing to Dolohov, Bellatrix whispered fiercely "Do not transform until I give you the signal, and only then drink the potion."

"Yes, My Lady."

"It is imperative that you stick to the plan. Do you understand?" she sneered.

"Yes, My Lady. I will only have one hour, so I must be quick yet efficient."

A twisted smile materialized on her sour face. "Correct, Dolohov. And stay quiet while you wait for the signal. We don't want to attract any attention." He nodded in obedience.

Bellatrix stared into the simmering vial in clutched in her hand. "Bottoms up!" she said gleefully as she gulped it down in one fearless shot. Suddenly, the vial slipped through her slim fingers, scratching against her long nails as it fell from her grasp and onto the moist dirt floor. Her pale face grimaced as her painted ruby-red lips contorted in agony. Panting, she clutched her stomach with one hand while digging her claws into Dolohov's shoulder. She felt the silky dress tighten around her breasts and hips, her gaunt and face fill with youth, and her pasty skin take on a darker, healthy hue. When the transformation was complete, she released her piercing grip on Dolohov's shoulder and stood up straight, aligning her arched back. She turned to Dolohov and gave a quick snigger of triumph. Running her new slightly shorter fingers through her now sleek and shiny raven hair, Bellatrix emerged from the dark wilderness. Walking with poise toward the front door of the Burrow, she stifled the cackle that was threatening to pass from her new, now plump lips.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Where's Ginny?" Harry asked his girlfriend as they danced to a fast Muggle song that had made Hermione squeal 'Oooh! I absolutely love this song' when it had started.

"Working on a big case" she shouted over the music while swaying her hips to the beat. Ginny was an Auror for the Ministry. Even though she was only 20, she had managed to fly through her training faster than anyone had ever before, and was now one of the Ministry's top agents. "She sends her love though!"

The fast song suddenly ended, and a new slow one began.

"Oooh! I absolutely love this song!" Hermione shrieked jumping up and down while Harry placed his hands on her waist.

"I have a sneaking suspicion you love every song" Harry teased. But Hermione didn't respond to his taunt. She wasn't even listening to him. She was instead staring fixedly at something over Harry's shoulder. He whirled around to see what she was looking at.

"I didn't know you invited Cho" Harry asked her quizzically.

"I did not invite…her" Hermione spat, anger flashing in her eyes.

"Hey, don't get upset love" he said gently, his thumb caressing her cheek.

"I'm not! I'm still just so mad about what she wrote about you…about us! How dare she-"

"Did I mention how utterly stunning you are tonight?" Harry interjected.

"Don't try to cha-"

"Well, you look absolutely gorgeous. I love this dress by the way" he said fingering the white beaded strap of her gown. He twirled her so that they were dancing cheek-to-cheek. "Especially the back…err…lack there of" he whispered devilishly in her ear. While Hermione was hesitant at showing too much skin at her neckline, she had no problem revealing her bare back. And the dress did just that, plunging dangerously down her spine, stopping only inches above her tailbone.

Hermione grinned, defeated yet again. Harry obviously did not want to talk about Cho Chang, and she would not spoil his so far perfect night by rambling on and on about the former Ravenclaw Seeker.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *