Unofficial Portkey Archive

Worlds Apart, Hearts Close by Hermione Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Worlds Apart, Hearts Close

Hermione Potter

Worlds Apart, Hearts Close

By Hermione Potter

Chapter 4: Not Worthy

"Oh, I could never!" Hermione exclaimed with widened eyes.

"But you're lonely here. Please come for a while. If you don't like it or you feel uncomfortable, you can come back here," Harry pleaded. She bit her lip.

"I don't know about this Harry," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"Come on, Hermione. For just a while. Please," Harry begged squeezing her hands. She sighed.

"All right. But only for a few days," Hermione said, getting up and rummaging through her things.

"Now what are you doing?" Harry asked.

"Taking some things with me. You don't expect me to wear these dirty things every day in front of your parents, do you?" she asked, gesturing to her tattered clothes.

"Well of course not. But you're a witch. You have a wand," Harry stated. Hermione bit her lip nervously.

"No, I actually don't have a wand," she replied.

"Oh. Well, I'll get you one," Harry said simply. She gaped at him.

"No! You don't have to do that. I can do fine on my own, thanks," she declined.

"Hermione, I'll get you a wand. Even if it means spending all my galleons, sickles, and knuts. What are friends for?" Harry asked grinning.

"F-Friends?"she stuttered.

"Of course. I am your friend, aren't I?" he asked with a frown.

"Yes! Yes, you are. Thank you. It's just, I've never been able to be friends with a witch or wizard," Hermione confessed.

"Well then I'll be the first," Harry smiled.

"Is your house far away?" she asked.

"No. It's just beyond the Forbidden Forest," he stated.

"When are we leaving?" Hermione asked once again.

"Well, we could leave now. My parents would be there and I'd like you to meet them," Harry suggested.

"Do you think they'll accept me? I mean, considering the look of myself," she questioned,

Harry placed his hands on Hermione's shoulders and squeezed them reassuringly.

"My parents will love you just as much as I do, Mione," he said with a slight blush.

"Well then. Let's go!" Hermione smiled running out to get StarFire.

Harry chuckled, walking out and over to where Hermione and StarFire were.

Hermione was already on the horse's back.

"Hope on Harry," she urged, holding out her hand to help him up. Harry grabbed her hand and swung his leg over. He wrapped his arms around her waist, feeling her tense, but relaxed as she kicked StarFire's sides and galloped away from the small house.

After about fifteen minutes, Harry, Hermione, and StarFire arrived on the grounds of the Potter Manor.

"Oh my," Hermione breathed looking at the big home. The walls were painted sheer white. There were many shining windows that had dark green shutters. There was lush green grass in the front and back of the manor.

"Come on," Harry beckoned, helping Hermione off StarFire and leading them to the stable in the back.

Harry opened the latch to the door on the stable and stepped on the dirt ground. He walked over to Lightning and stroked him gently.

"You're going to have some company, boy," Harry informed softly. Lightning nodded. Harry motioned Hermione to bring StarFire in.

Hesitatingly, she walked StarFire in and next to Lightning. Lightning bent his head to nibble on some hay. He glanced at StarFire and nudged the hay toward her. She smiled through her eyes and started to eat with him.

Harry smiled and whispered in Hermione's ear," I think they like each other." Hermione shivered as she felt his warm breath.

"Let's go in. I'd like you to meet my mum and dad," Harry smiled, grabbing her hand and rushing into the manor.

"Welcome back, sir," Marybeth greeted.

"Hello, Marybeth. This is Hermione," Harry introduced, motioning to Hermione.

"Nice to meet you," Hermione said with a polite smile and bow.

"Yes, pleasure," Marybeth replied curtly and walked away.

"I don't think she's quite fond of me," Hermione laughed.

"I don't know why. Maybe it's because you're a girl," Harry winked. Hermione blushed.

"They might be in the study," Harry said leading her upstairs.

"Mum? Dad?" he called as he opened the door.

"Harry? Where have you been?! I was so worried about you!" Lily exclaimed, hugging him tightly.

"Mum, I was only out for a while. I can't breathe," he choked up. Lily let him go.

"Don't scare us like that again, son. What was so important?" James asked.

"Well, I'd like you to meet someone. Mione?" he called.

Slowly, Hermione walked in with her hands held together and bowed.

"It's an honor to meet you, Your Majesties," she greeted and smiled slightly.

"He-Hermione? Oh my!" Lily exclaimed cupping Hermione's face.

"We haven't seen you since you were a year old. My, you've grown into a fine young woman," James complimented.

"Thank you, sir," Hermione bowed again.

"Oh, no need to be so formal. Harry, take her to Gwendolyn, would you Harry? Would you have dinner with us this evening?" Lily asked.

"Oh, of course. I could never decline such a generous offer," Hermione answered.

"My, how polite you are. Now, go on Harry. Take her to Gwendolyn. We'll see you at dinner," James smiled and bid them goodbye.

"All right, dad," Harry replied, before taking Hermione's hand and guiding her to where one of their maids, Gwendolyn was.

"Gwendy?" Harry asked.

"Oh, Sire! What do you need?" she explained, bowing to him.

"Well, my friend Hermione is a bit ruffled up, no offense Hermione. Could you please show her the bathroom and get her into some nice clothes?" Harry asked smiling.

"Oh! Of course. Of course. Come. Come. Miss. . .," she trailed off.

"Granger," Hermione informed.

"Ah, yes, Miss Granger. Just follow me," Gwendy suggested leading Hermione away from Harry.

"See you at dinner," Harry grinned, waving at her.

Gwendolyn opened a white door and motioned Hermione inside. She slowly walked inside and looked around, astounded.

The floor was made of white marble and the walls were plastered with white tiles. There was a shower and bathtub that had gold taps. Hermione looked at the sink and noticed that there were two sinks, also with gold taps. Next to the taps were small towels and soap. Above the sinks were mirrors.

"Here's a bathrobe, miss. When you're done, just enter this room here," Gwendolyn smiled, gesturing to a door at her left.

"Oh, okay. Thank you for your kindness," Hermione bowed. Gwendolyn left.

Hermione sighed and walked over to the bathtub. She turned the hot water tap on and watched as the tub began to fill. She looked over it and saw a variety of bath bubbles. Hermione picked one up and saw that it was lilac. She had always loved that smell.

She dripped a few into the water and saw bubbles gathering. When the tub was filled, Hermione turned the water off and stripped her clothes off. She stepped into the water and sunk below the bubbles.

'Harry's not what I expected him to be,' she thought with a smile. Hermione sighed in relief as her tense muscles loosened.

'He was so. . . .gentle and sweet. No! What am I thinking? I couldn't like him, could I?" Hermione thought with a slight blush. But she quickly frowned, saddened.

"But he could never fall for someone like me. I'm so low compared to the other girls he's seen. All I am is just an orphaned girl. But he's a prince. I'm not worthy of him," Hermione whispered, rinsing herself off and wrapped herself up in the bath rob.

She dried her hair and walked inside the other room. (A/N: I'm not going to describe the room. Sorry.) Gwendolyn was in the room waiting for her.

"I'm sorry if I kept you waiting long," Hermione apologized.

"Oh, no not at all, dear. Come now. Sit on the chair," Gwendolyn commanded. Hermioe did what she was told and sat in front of the mirror.

Gwendolyn did a quick drying spell on Hermione's hair and placed a straightening charm on it.

"That looks very nice on you. How about if I put a permanent charm on it?" she asked.

"I'd like that. Thank you, ma'am," Hermione replied.

After Hermione was finished with her hair. Gwendolyn placed a bit of lip gloss (A/N: Call me stupid for saying lip gloss. I didn't know what else to call it! Don't flame me!)

"Now that's done. Next, your dress. Somehow, I think this dress would look lovely on you," she smiled showing the gown to Hermione.

It was beautiful. It was a deep blue gown made from velvet. It was a long dress that stretched to her ankles. The sleeves extended to her wrists and expanded out. Around the waistline was a silver chain that had stars and crescent moons.

"It's stunning! I couldn't wear something like this," Hermione breathed.

"Ah, but you haven't tried it on, so how do you know?" Gwendolyn grinned.

Hermione blushed and stood behind the bathroom door.

A few moments later, Hermione walked out and spun around for Gwendolyn.

"Well, does it look all right?" she asked.

"Oh, you look absolutely magnificent in it! Oh dear! And close to dinner time. Here are your shoes. They go perfectly with your dress," Gwendolyn exclaimed.

Hermione stepped into the black shoes and took a breath.

"Let's hurry or we'll be late!" Gwendolyn exclaimed.

"She seems like a sweet girl," Lily smiled as James pulled her seat out for her to sit.

"Yeah, she sure is," Harry sighed a bit dreamily.

"My, someone seems quite fond of Hermione," James chuckled as he saw Harry's face color.

"No! It's not like that!" Harry said quickly.

"Um, excuse me?" a hesitant voice interrupted.

Harry, Lily, and James turned toward the door to see Hermione walk in tentatively.

Harry's heart started beating violently against his chest. He was sure that they could hear it.

"Hermione, you look absolutely exquisite, doesn't she James?" Lily asked.

"Quite. Don't you think Harry?" James laughed.

"Beautiful," Harry breathed, looking at her. He saw her blush and smile at him.

He slowly made his way over to Hermione and grasped her hand. Harry leaned down and kissed it softly. She blushed more.

"May I take you to our dinner that awaits us?" he asked. Hermione nodded shyly and followed him as he pulled her seat out for her and sat down next to her.

"Now Hermione, how have you been? It's been what? Fifteen or sixteen years?" Lily asked with a furrowed brow.

"O-Oh, I've been quite all right. Yes it has been a long time. I don't really remember much. I've lived in the Forbidden Forest all my life," she exclaimed.

"How awful that must be. Isn't that dangerous? I mean, with all those creatures and such," James asked.

"No, I've been able to fend for myself. I haven't ever used magic. I don't have a wand either. And the creatures in the forest are my friends. Most of them at least," she answered, chewing some of her roast chicken.

"Well, why don't you live here with us? I know I'm being a bit forward, but we'd love for you to stay here," Lily suggested.

"No, I couldn't oppose as much as I have," Hermione admitted.

"You're not opposing at all! It's quite nice actually. Harry would always have a friend around. Could you just think about it tonight?" the young mother asked.

"Of course I will. Thank you for the offer. I'll be sure to think deeply about it," Hermione smiled. She side glanced at Harry and saw him grinning impishly.

She looked at him confused, but shrugged it off, continuing to eat the rest of her dinner.

That night, Hermione walked onto the balcony that was in her room. There was a wonderful view of the kingdom from where she was.

"Great, isn't it?" a soft voice said behind her. She turned around and found Harry standing in front of her.

"Hello Harry," Hermione greeted, turning back to the view. She felt Harry stand next to her.

"So, have you thought about staying at the Potter Manor?" he asked, not looking at her. Hermione turned her head to him.

"I don't know. I'd just like to sleep on it until tomorrow," she replied softly.

"I'd really like it if you stayed here," Harry said thoughtfully, staring into her eyes.

"Re-Really?" she stuttered.

"Yeah. Of course. You could keep me company. And I do like spending time with you," Harry whispered leaning close to her.

"I-I do too," she whispered back, closing her eyes.

Before their lips could meet, Hermione opened her eyes and shook her head.

"I should get to bed," she said. Harry blinked and looked away.

"Oh, all right. I should be getting to bed as well. Goodnight," Harry said curtly before walking out silently.

She sighed softly before plopping back on the bed.

'Maybe I should just go,' she thought as her room darkened. (A/N: Bloody hell I'm sorry if this next part is rushed! Don't patronize me Frank Thomas! LOL!)

Later, once everyone was asleep, Hermione got off the bed quietly and rushed out as fast as she could. She stopped in front of Harry's door and bit her lip. Hermione gripped the door nob and thought about going in.

'He wouldn't want to see me after what happened. He'd want me out as well,' she thought sadly, loosening her grip and sighing.

She rushed out of the manor quickly and outside.

Hermione walked slowly to the back and took one last look at the house she was warmly welcomed at. Her eyes traveled to Harry's window and felt a tear slide down her cheek.

She walked inside the stable to see Lightning and StarFire standing together, StarFire's head was nestled under Lightning as they snuggled together. She awed at the sight, knowing that she didn't want to break this up.

"StarFire, you stay here. I have to go back. You look happy with Lightning. Don't forget me. Because I'll miss you," Hermione whispered, kissing StarFire's forehead.

StarFire neighed before nuzzling Hermione's neck. She smiled and stroked her mane.

"I need to go now. Goodbye," Hermione smiled weakly before latching the door and walking toward the forest.

"Going so soon?" a voice said behind her that made her stop dead in her tracks.

A/N: Don't patronize me, Frank Thomas! I've got enough pressure with my other stories. LOL. But continue pushing if you'd like. But no patronizing! LOL. Anyway, I hope all of you enjoyed this chapter. I tried to get it in before June 4th as a treat to you all! Prisoner of Azkaban rocks! I apologize if any part of this chapter was rushed! A bad habit of mine. If any of you would like to view more of my stories you can go to: http://www.fanfiction.net/~mionelynnpotter. PLEASE REVIEW! PLEASE AND THANK YOU!