Unofficial Portkey Archive

Worlds Apart, Hearts Close by Hermione Potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Worlds Apart, Hearts Close

Hermione Potter

Worlds Apart, Hearts Close

By Hermione Potter

Chapter 5: Searching Souls

Hermione turned around and blinked. A weary looking man stared back at her.

"Who are you?" she asked nervously.

"Do not be afraid. I won't hurt you. I'm Sirius Black. Harry's Godfather," he introduced softly.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I wake you, Mr. Black?" Hermione asked.

"Please, call me Sirius. Why are you going so soon? I know my godson is very fond of you," Sirius smiled. Hermione blushed slightly.

"I just don't fit in around here. I mean, really. I'm just an ordinary girl. Harry has this whole kingdom. He's famous and the Prince of Gryffindor. What do I have to offer to him?" Hermione replied dully.

"Your friendship. Harry really doesn't have many real friends, Hermione. Even though you haven't known each other for very long, I can tell you are a very true and loyal person," he told to her.

"I know, but still. It's just hard. Living up to the standards of all the royals here," she whispered.

"I can sense that you have a kind of love for him. Am I correct?" Sirius asked.

"N-No! O-Of course not! Why would you think that?" Hermione stuttered.

"You don't have to lie to me. I can see it in your eyes. That emotion that is rarely found truthfully in any person. You love him a lot," Sirius stated. Hermione bowed her head.

"I could never live up to the girls he has seen. Lady Cho and Lady Virginia. They are all extremely beautiful and graceful. For I am ugly and rough. I was born in the Forbidden Forest. Not among Gryffindor or Slytherin. Not even Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw. No. I was born in an unknown place. A place of darkness and despair," Hermione explained, a bit teary.

"You speak so deeply, Hermione. But even if Miss Chang and Miss Weasley are beautiful on the outside, they could never compete with the beauty you have. On the inside. You shall never be ugly or rough if you remain loyal and truthful to your loved ones. That means you cannot just run away without any consent," he said solemnly.

"But Si-," she was cut off when she saw Harry behind Sirius.

"Hermione? Sirius? What's going on here? Were you planning on leaving?" Harry asked all at once.

"Harry, I-," he cut her off.

"No! You said you would stay! At least for a while! And I find you here, running away at night! Without me knowing! Did you think that I would not notice if you were gone or not?" he asked upset.

"I don't belong in a place like this! This is not my world!" Hermione argued.

"What do you have to go back for?! There's nothing there for you! Why go back there when you could stay here? With people who care for you?" Harry replied angrily.

"How dare you? How dare you?! How can you stand there and tell me there's nothing there for me? The animals were my only friends, Harry. Way before you were! I had nothing Harry. Nothing. My parents died in there. They died in there! I thought you were different Harry. I thought you would be the one man that would never be an insufferable prick! But I was wrong. Very wrong. You're the same as every man I've met. I can't believe I came here. It was a waste of my time," Hermione whispered with tears rolling down her cheeks.

Harry stood there, contemplating what he had just said and heard. He fisted his hands in regret.

"Goodbye, Prince Harry," she sobbed, running into the Forbidden Forest with her hands over her eyes.

He tried to run after her, but Sirius gripped his shoulder.

"Sirius! Let me go! I need to go find her!" Harry commanded, struggling against his Godfather. Sirius shook his head.

"Leave her be, Harry. She deserves to be left alone right now. Let her cool off," Sirius murmured.

"Sirius, I just can't let her go! What if she goes away and never comes back? Do you know how hard that would be for me?" Harry asked.

"Harry, there are millions of girls out there," Sirius said.

"None of them are Hermione and they never will be," Harry yelled.

"Harry, wait until tomorrow morning. You're tired and you can't go out when you're exhausted and it's pitch black. Both of you need to be alone right now and then you can go after her," Harry's Godfather decided. Harry stopped struggling.

"Fine. But if she isn't back, I need to go look for her. I can't lose her," Harry whispered, turning his back to Sirius and walking back to the Potter Manor.

"Harry? Harry, dear. Wake up," a soft voice told.

Harry groaned softly and slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes. The previous night, he could not get enough sleep.

"Mum? What time is it?" Harry asked wearily.

"It's ten o'clock in the morning dear. You overslept," Lily smiled sitting down on the bed next to him.

"Oh," was all Harry said before he looked at Lily and then turned his head away.

"Is there something wrong Harry? Is it about Hermione?" she asked. Harry nodded slowly and laid his head on Lily's lap.

"It's just so unfair, mum. She just left. I mean, I know I said some things that I didn't mean to say, but she just wouldn't understand," Harry whispered closing his eyes.

"From what Sirius told your father and I, I wouldn't blame Hermione. Not all girls are clueless Harry. We do have our own feelings and sometimes men say things to the one woman they love that they don't mean. And sometimes that can be hard," Lily explained, stroking her son's hair.

"Hermione's so different from the other girls here. I feel like I've known her for so long," Harry said thoughtfully.

"Well, she is a wonderful girl. Of course, I know that you've noticed that. And many others," she smiled.

"She's amazing, mum. Hermione is such a beautiful person. Inside and out. She just can't realize that. Hermione is kind and gentle. Especially with animals. She looks so delicate. I feel that if I touch her, she will break. She deserves so much. I can't believe I met someone like her. She's unbelievable," Harry breathed. Lily laughed at the dreamy look in her son's eyes.

"It seems you're quite fond of Hermione. When you find her, you should invite her to the Christmas Ball. It'd be lovely to see you two dancing," Lily kissed Harry's forehead.

"I can imagine her now. In the most elegant dress robes you've ever seen. Her hair combed into the silkiest threads. I wish I could run my fingers through her hair. It looks so soft," Harry whispered, imagining her face in his mind.

"You love her?" Lily asked tentatively.

"I know I've only known her for a bit. But I feel like I've known her my whole life," he smiled.

"Maybe you should dress and get some breakfast. Then you can go look for her. Luckily, she might not have gone far," Lily tried to cheer him up.

"Hopefully. I just hope you're right," he replied, getting up and stretching a bit.

"See you in a bit," she smiled, walking out.

"Okay," Harry said, walking into the bathroom. (A/N: STOP PRODDING ME, FRANK! DON'T PROD! OR I WON'T WRITE! LOL)

"Good morning, Harry," James greeted with a smile.

"Hi, dad. Mum. Sirius. Remus," Harry bowed slightly before sitting down slightly.

"How are you?" Remus asked.

"I'm fine. A bit tired. But I'm all right," Harry smiled wearily before sitting down and slowly playing with his breakfast.

"Sweetie, eat a bit of toast at least. We have a bit of butter dear," Lily offered, showing him the plate of toasted bread.

"No thanks, mum. I'm not very hung-," he was cut off as he heard the doors open.

"Umm, your Majesties?" a soft voice said from the entrance.

Harry and the others turned to see Hermione standing, wet from the thunderstorm the previous night.

"Hermione! Look at you! You're soaking wet and you're going to get sick!" Lily exclaimed rushing over to her and feeling her forehead.

"You're a bit warm," she examined.

"I'm fine. Really, I'm just a bit cold," Hermione replied weakly, avoiding Harry's green gaze.

"Harry, take her up to her room," James commanded. Hermione stiffened.

"It's all right honey," Lily soothed.

Slowly, Hermione watched as Harry lead her to her room. They silenced themselves, afraid of saying something wrong.

Harry opened the door and followed her inside, closing the door behind them.

"Hermione-,"

"Harry-,"

They shared a nervous laugh.

"Hermione, I'm so sorry I blew up at you like that. I never meant to lose my temper. I should have never done that. I'm so sorry," Harry whispered guiltily. He was soon engulfed in an embrace by Hermione.

"Oh Harry! I've never been so afraid in my life. I felt so alone last night. I've missed you so much," she sobbed. Harry slowly wrapped his arms around her and clutched her to him.

"I missed you too. So much. Even if it was only for a while. What happened? Something bad? Tell me," he whispered running his fingers through her wet hair.

"I went back to the Forbidden Forest and tried to sleep. I had a nightmare. It was so real. It was when my parents died. Everyone was blaming me for their deaths. And you. You said I should be put to death. I never thought you would be so cruel," Hermione whimpered. Harry's grip around her tightened.

"Mione. It was only a nightmare. No one blames you. It's not your fault. It was Voldemort's. Shhh. You're safe. Know this. I would never hurt you. Nothing will happen to you while I'm around," he smiled. Hermione sighed.

"It's so cold," Hermione's teeth chattered.

"Wait right here," Harry commanded, kissing her forehead and walking out. She blinked confusingly.

A few moments later, Harry came rushing in with a pair of pajamas in his arms.

"Here. These are really warm," he stated showing her the pajamas that were made from green velvet.

"Are they yours?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah. But I can't wear them. They're a bit too small for me. You can have them if you would like, Harry suggested.

"Thank you. Let me go change into them. I'm freezing," Hermione smiled, walking to the bathroom.

"I hope she decides to stay here," he whispered to himself, a smile playing on his lips. He closed his eyes and imagined Hermione's gentle face in his mind. It was so much like his mother's gentle face.

"They're so warm!" Hermione's voice squealed with delight.

"I'm glad you like them," he grinned.

"They smell like you," she blushed,

"Oh, and what do I smell like?" Harry challenged.

"Like the forest after a fresh rain storm," Hermione sighed. Harry's face resembled that of a beet.

"Umm, thanks," Harry stumbled.

Hermione slowly made her way over to the bed and sat down on the edge. She patted the seat next to her. "Come sit with me Harry," she offered. Harry nodded silently before taking the seat.

"I'm sorry for running off like that last night," she apologized softly.

"It's okay. Think nothing of it," Harry smiled. Hermione blinked a few times when she spotted a scar beneath his dark bangs.

"What's that?" she asked, pointing at his forehead.

"What's what?" Harry asked back.

"That," Hermione answered, touching the scar that resembled a lightning-bolt.

"Oh, you mean my scar. I got it when I was a baby," he replied.

"How did you get it?" she questioned.

"Voldemort and his Death Eaters tried to raid Gryffindor. But they had managed to get through the Auror Knights. My parents were a bit injured. All I really know about my scar is that when Voldemort tried to kill me, he couldn't and left the scar. It senses if dangers coming," Harry explained.

"Oh," was all Hermione could say.

"I'm sorry if that brought up any bad memories," Harry apologized with a concerned gaze.

"No. It's just that, I can't believe you had to endure that," Hermione whispered tracing her finger over his scar. Harry shivered under her gentle touch.

"Are you all right?" she asked. Harry nodded slowly.

"Why did Voldemort kill your parents if I may ask?" he said gently. She stiffened a little.

"They were Muggles, Harry. He was after Muggles. As well as Muggle-Born witches and wizards of course. He wanted to kill me because I was a Muggle-Born witch. But he didn't. At least, not yet," Hermione informed. Harry stayed silent.

"Will you stay?" he asked out of the blue. She blinked.

"You mean live here?" Hermione asked back.

"I don't know about that Harry. I don't want to impose. . . .," she trailed off.

"You can never impose on me. My parents love you! Please say you'll stay," Harry pleaded.

"I'll think about it. I'll be sure about that," Hermione smiled.

"Promise you'll think through it carefully," he grinned.

"I promise," she giggled.

A knock came at the door.

"Come in," Hermione called.

Slowly, Lily came in with a tray that seemed to have a bowl and a two cups.

"Ah, I expected you'd be here, Harry dear. Can you hold this for me for a minute, honey?" she asked Harry.

"Yes, mum," Harry agreed, taking hold of the chair.

"Hermione. You should be in bed," Lily stated. Hermione laughed nervously and jumped under the covers.

"Your hair is still wet. Where's my wand?" she asked herself, searching through her pockets.

"AHA! There it is. Solarialis," she cast. Instantly, Hermione's hair became dry and warm. She leaned back against her pillows and thanked Lily.

"Now, I brought you some delicious soup Dobby prepared. And some butterbeer. Do you like that, Hermione?" Lily asked.

"Oh, yes. Of course. Thank you. Umm, Lily, do you by any chance pay the house-elves?" she asked cautiously. Lily winked at Hermione.

"Yes! Absolutely. That would be most unfair if they did not get paid for their job well done," she smiled, walking out and closing the door.

Harry smiled before picking up a mug of butterbeer and handing it to Hermione. She took a tiny sip of it and her body began to fill with a warm tingling sensation. She shuddered in delight.

"It's delicious," Harry smiled, drinking his own butterbeer. He slowly placed the tray of soup on Hermione's lap and blew the soup a bit, cooling it.

"Thanks Harry. But I think I can blow my own food," Hermione laughed. Harry blushed embarrassed.

"Sorry," he apologized. She smiled softly before taking a spoonful of the broth and smile warmly. Harry tapped his fingers against each other.

"Uh, Hermione? May I ask you something?" he asked.

"You just did," Hermione smirked.

"May I ask you a different question then?" Harry asked again. Hermione nodded.

"W-Well, wou-would you li-like to go to the Chris-Christmas Ball wit-with m-me?"

A/N: Hi! I'm back! I hope you all liked that chapter and hope you review! Pretty please? Yes, Frank. I know you're thinking of ways to prod, patronize, and remind me. LOL. Do you have a screename? Because I know I would like to talk to you. Could you please e-mail me at Hermione5745@aol.com? Thanks! Love you guys!

P.S. I'm sorry I didn't update. But hey, last week you got 2 updates for the price of 1! Right now, I'm having some real emotional issues, so I'm sorry if my updates are a bit slow. Don't lose faith!