Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Death Arch by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Death Arch

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own HP. JKR does. Some details are taken from the fanfiction HP and the Psychic Serpent by Barb that can be found on fanfiction.net.

A/N: Thanks for your reviews, they mean a lot to me. And thanks to my wonderful beta Cheryl, who made this and the other chapters a lot better than what I wrote. For this one, I need to thank her beta too, selened, who revised her revision, and so I think this must be almost perfect, so enjoy it! And review, please…

Chapter Ten

"The dream becomes reality"

The Hospital stay was short lived. Draco, Harry and Hermione were released the next morning and were expected to return to class. Draco and Harry were given yet another lecture about taking chances and putting themselves in harm's way, and waiting for grownups before pulling anymore foolish rescue missions from Madame Pomfrey. However, it came across as blah, blah, blah to them. Hermione was eager to return to her lessons and she worried about being behind, having missed so many classes, on top of an entire Christmas break's worth of study time.

Ron watched the new couple enter the Great Hall with their new sidekick. He couldn't help a sigh, he really messed things up. He was now regretting not taking up Dumbledore on his offer to obliviate him, as he figured he deserved to wallow in the humiliation of what he'd done, a penance of some sort. He continued to watch as Malfoy left the pair to sit at the Slytherin table, leaving Harry and Hermione at the head of the Gryffindor table. `This is it,' Ron thought. Dumbledore did say they were ready to talk…would he still be their best friend or had Malfoy replaced him?

"Hey Ron," said Harry as he and Hermione seated themselves across from him.

"Hey Harry," Ron said back, "Are you okay Hermione? I really am sorry about…"

"I'm fine Ron." Hermione curtly answered and Harry took hold of her hand giving her a concerned look.

"Okay," said Ron his remorse still evident.

Letting go of Harry's hand Hermione held both palms to her eyes and attempted to pull it together. She was ready for this, she moved her hands away, "Ron…" she said and he looked into her eyes, "Not now…but later you and I have to talk."

"Yes…" Ron replied his voice barely above a whisper.

"How about we meet in the Common Room after dinner?" Harry suggested.

"Harry, I appreciate you…but this is between Ron and I." Hermione said and Ron cringed, "Ron, meet me in the Room of Requirement tonight at 8:00pm."

It was an order, not a request and Ron nodded his head in silence. Harry was smart enough not to protest.

The Gryffindor table remained eerily quite for the rest of breakfast.

-

Draco watched as Harry and Hermione joined Ron at the Gryffindor table. He realised that things were probably going to change between him and Harry now. Lost in his own thoughts, he didn't notice someone from the Gryffindor table was watching him watching Harry, Hermione and Ron and that someone was forming a plan of her own.

---

Later that evening with great trepidation Ron opened the door to the Room of Requirement. He drew in a deep breath; he was ready to face Hermione. Well…as ready as he'd ever be, whatever she dished out, he knew he deserved it.

"Why Ron?" asked Hermione her back to him.

Ron looked around the room. It was stark and sterile. The walls were grey. There was an uncomfortable looking sofa and a fire that with the cold atmosphere provided little warmth. "I'm so sorry, `Mione." said Ron with a shiver.

Hermione turned with tears and fury in her eyes, "Don't call me that! You have no right to call me that! You didn't answer my question Ronald. Why? Why didn't you tell me what happened? Why did you drug me and made me think…" she shouted before loosing her composure.

Ron reached out to her and said "Hermione…don't…I'm so-"

"Don't you dare touch me ever again!" she shouted as she coiled away from him, "You said you loved me…you made me think that I loved you…but it was a lie and you chose that…" She broke down again.

Ron lowered his hand he knew he deserved this and he was going to take it…everything. "I was jealous, stupid and jealous. Last summer at the Dursleys, I could tell Harry was in…had feelings for you, but I wanted you too. I didn't want him to win. I thought…no I didn't think that's my problem and then the Death Eater, the Mark…Hermione, they were going to kill you if I didn't give you the Potion. They were going to kill my family…starting with Ginny." Ron tried to explain and then in a whisper said, "I had no choice."

"But you did have a choice Ron," Hermione stated calmly(,) yet tears were still flowing, "You could have told me about the Mark and the Potion. You should have given me a choice…but you didn't." She paused to wipe her eyes with the back of her sleeve, "I am not a prize to be won Ron."

"You are right," said Ron his voice thick with sadness, "I was stupid."

"We did things Ron, you touched me…" she choked out, "Tell me. Would you have made love to me, knowing it was all a lie?"

Ron felt ill but he had to answer, "Yes…I love you Hermione…the Potion, being with you…I deluded myself into thinking it could be real…that it was all real. Deep down I knew it was a lie, but I wanted you so badly and with the Potion you were mine."

Hermione felt the bile rising in her throat but she fought it back and responded, "You have no idea what love is Ron. If you really loved me you never would have used the Potion in the first place." She closed her eyes and more tears fell.

"You're right," Ron whispered in reply, "I didn't realise until just now…except I do love you(…) just not in the way you deserve…I let my lust and jealousy get in the way of friendship. I truly am sorry."

Ron's admission shocked her; she moved over to the sofa and sat down lost in thought. Ron moved to stand in front of the fire, fidgeting uncomfortably in the silence.

"We are going to be okay Ron; just give me time." stated Hermione after what seemed like hours.

Ron gave Hermione a hopeful look but couldn't find his voice to say anything in reply.

-

It was 9:30pm and Harry was making his way to the Room of Requirement. Hermione had asked him to go to the Room only if she and Ron didn't return by 9:15pm. Harry had so badly wanted to be there with her when she confronted Ron, but he respected her wishes and stayed away. He admitted he was a little more than fearful that Hermione might choose Ron or even decided that she didn't want to be with anyone. Before he knew it he was outside the door. He wasn't sure if he should knock or just go in; he decided to just go in and opened the door.

Hermione was sitting on the sofa. She had been crying, he could tell. Ron was standing in front of fire. His expression was pained and remorseful. Harry didn't really know what to make of it and said, "Hermione, it's 9:30pm you asked me to come…"

Hermione rose from the sofa and moved slowly over to Harry. She was calm but still teary. She wrapped her arms around his waist and clung to him. Harry held on to her tightly, he gave Ron a look, a "what the sodding hell did you do" look.

Ron finally spoke, "I'm sorry Harry."

"I'm not the one you need to apologise to Ron, you know that." Harry stated.

"I know and I have…apologised to Hermione. We have sort of worked some things out…she's asked for some time." Ron explained, "I'm sorry for what I've done…to both of you."

Harry looked to Hermione still nestled in his arms, she nodded her head and repeated her earlier statement, "I'm…we're going to be okay Harry."

Harry kissed her on the forehead and said to Ron, "You going to be able to handle this?"

Ron knew what Harry was referring to and replied, "I have to, she belongs to you now, always has really…she was never truly mine Harry. I accept that now."

"Ron…you still don't get it. I belong to no one. Not you, not Harry, no one Ron." Hermione spat out bitterly closing her eyes tapping down her anger. "I repeat. I am not a prize to be won or lost Ron. I choose to be with Harry and he chooses to be with me; it really is that simple. Harry truly loves me. I can feel it in my very soul and I love him for it. I know that Harry will do the right thing…he has proven it. When he thought what you did to me was real…he let me go…because he loves me. He even…" she said looking up in to Harry's eyes before she said thickly, "He was even willing to die for me and Draco. That is an act of love Ron, unconditional love."

Ron was speechless, shame washed over him in tormenting waves. He managed to mumble another apology before he finally broke down and cried.

Hermione cried too and Harry continued to hold her tight.

"Have I lost you? Will we ever be friends?" Ron asked finally pulling himself together and breaking the silence.

"Ron, listen to me, everyone makes mistakes. You will always be my friend. Hermione asked you for time…you are going to give her that. Like she said, we are going to be okay."

Ron hesitated, he wasn't sure what to do so he dropped his arms down to his sides and said, "Thank you." After a long pause he added lamely, "I have to go now…I have a…paper due tomorrow."

And he left not waiting for any reply; knowing things between the three of them would never be the same but it was for the best. He didn't think he deserved to be forgiven and he vowed to never take anyone, especially Hermione for granted again.

"I think we need change of scenery," Harry suggested after Ron's departure and with a flick of his wand the Room turned into a comfortable replica of the Gryffindor Common Room. "There… much better," he said and moved Hermione to sit on his lap on one of the squishy armchairs before the fire. "You okay? Do you need some time alone? I could-" Harry asked but his last sentence was cut off by Hermione's lips pressing onto his. He opened up to the kiss as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I love you Harry." she quietly said, "Right now it is the only thing I am sure of."

They decided to remain in the Room of Requirement, and moved to the sofa closer to the fire, eventually falling asleep in each other's arms.

---

Next morning Hermione awoke still wrapped in Harry's comfortable embrace. She smiled and kissed him tenderly in an attempt to wake him up.

Harry was having a wonderful dream. He was snogging with Hermione on the sofa in the Common Room and she was about to…Harry woke up with a start. His eyes darted around the room, finally resting on a smirking Hermione. "Sorry luv, I was in the middle of a brilliant dream…but I think I'm liking reality much better," he said and he pulled her close to continue the kiss.

Breaking away from the snogging, Hermione suggested that they go for a run. She hadn't run since the summer but she knew that it was important to Harry. He readily agreed, he hadn't been running lately and he missed the release it gave him. They quickly returned to their dorm rooms to get changed, agreeing to meet back in the Common Room.

Soon, running every morning became their regular routine and they both enjoyed the extra time together it afforded them.

---

Over the next few weeks Hogwarts managed to settle back into the norm. Ron even perked up a bit as he and Hermione slowly worked through what happened between them. It helped that Ron was spending more time with Luna Lovegood. At first he was very resistant of her but she eventually wore him down. A nice result was he managed to get a handle on his schoolwork and his marks actually improved with his study habits.

Harry and Hermione were officially outed as a couple and more than a few galleons were exchanged as bets were settled. No one was really surprised and Harry and Hermione were very happy.

-

Lavender Brown watched the happy couple eat their lunch talking animatedly with Ron and his sister Ginny about the upcoming Easter Break. She stole a glance over at the Slytherin table and as expected Draco Malfoy was watching them too.

`It's now or never Lavender,' she thought as she stood up and walked over to Malfoy. She stood behind him for quite some time before he finally acknowledged her presence. "What do you want?" he asked with a sneer.

"I know how you feel. If you ever want someone to talk to, someone who understands, you know where to find me," she stated with confidence. She wasn't about to back down, despite being surrounded by Slytherins and then she turned and walked out the doors.

She smiled as she heard the doors open behind her and she waited.

Draco caught up to her and asked, "What are you on about?"

"Walk with me," Lavender said taking him by the arm, leading him out on to the grounds and toward the lake. She was pleasantly surprised that he followed without protest.

Stopping by a shady tree near the lake edge, Draco was reminded of the rescue mission of a few short months ago. They settled in under the tree and Draco said, "Very Gryffindor of you to just walk up to a Slytherin like that."

Lavender threw her head back and laughed, "I'm just me Draco. I don't really hold myself to house loyalties; if I see something…or someone that interests me I simply go for it. There is no harm in trying is there?"

"I guess not," replied Draco and he moved a little closer to fully assess the intriguing witch beside him, "You are something else Lavender Brown."

"I'm impressed that you even know my name," Lavender laughed again, "I think you are something too Draco Malfoy."

For the first time in ages Draco Malfoy laughed a real genuine laugh and thought, `what was it with Gryffindor witches? I think with this one I might just find out.'

"So tell me, are you over Hermione Granger yet? Or do I need to be patient?" Lavender smirked.

Giving her his trademark eyebrow-raising look, Draco said, "You may just be too brave for your own good Lavender."

"Well…nothing ventured, nothing gained. Explain to me then, why her? Why the attraction in the first place?" she said.

"I don't know." Draco said hesitantly and then thinking `what the hell' he continued, "I think it was more of an infatuation…back in third year she punched me…right in the face and that took a lot of nerve. I became a little enamoured after that…if that makes any sense."

"If I'd know all I had to do was slug you to get your attention," Lavender said amused.

Draco leaned in and whispered in her ear, "You know there are other more pleasant ways to get my attention."

Lavender turned her head slightly her lips mere inches away from his and asked, "Care to give me an example?"

-

After finishing their lunch Harry and Hermione decided to take a walk around the lake. They were walking hand in hand enjoying the sun when they came upon Draco and Lavender under a tree, snogging.

Harry smiled, not wanting to disturb them; he turned Hermione around guiding her toward Hagrid's Hut and away from the snogging couple. "Was that Draco and…Lavender?" Hermione asked.

"Yes…let's go visit Hagrid and leave them be…alright?" Harry asked still pulling her away.

"Good idea. I hope they are good for each other," Hermione said.

"I think Lavender may just be what Draco needs at the minute," Harry stated with a knowing grin.

----

Before they knew it Easter break had arrived. Hermione's parents wanted her to come home as they had missed her at Christmas, but she wanted to stay at Hogwarts as she still felt behind because of the time she lost. Reluctantly her parents agreed; they even sent another owl to Harry asking him to look out for her. Harry was hoping that she would be willing to have a little bit of fun too. Voldemort had yet to regroup and Harry wanted to take a little time to relax. He, Draco and Ron had made plans to go flying and get some Quidditch practise in.

The Common Room was more crowded than at Christmas mainly due to the majority of fifth and seven years staying behind to get in some extra studying. The other years that stayed behind tended to spend more time outside in an effort to get away from the stressed out students that had to study.

-

Next to spending time with Hermione, Harry was happiest in the air and he loved to fly. Harry and Draco took turns taking shots at the goals while Ron practised his defensive moves before they released the Snitch. They were having a great time. Harry appreciated his friendship with Draco. He didn't hold back; he wasn't in awe of the-boy-who-lived and he played full out. He was first and foremost a competitor. A couple of times he even tried to knock Harry off his broom, but in the end Harry still caught the Snitch.

When Draco spotted Lavender in the stands he flew off to see her and leaving Harry and Ron alone.

"Harry …take care of her and make her happy, okay mate?" Ron said as he and Harry hovered over the pitch.

Harry wondered about Ron's change in demeanour, but responded in all seriousness, "I intend to Ron, have no doubt about that."

"Right then, I have to go I'm meeting Luna in the library for a study date." Ron said.

"You sure have been spending a lot of time with her." Harry said.

"Yeah…well…she is a bit odd but she likes me…flaws and all…and I…like her too, a lot." He replied, "Well, I don't wanted to keep her waiting," and then with a wave flew off to the change rooms.

Harry scanned the stands looking for Hermione; she said she might come out to watch later. He smiled as he spotted her engrossed in a book. Stealthily he flew over to her and said, "I thought you were going to watch me play?"

"Oh my goodness, Harry! You scared the life out of me!" Hermione exclaimed clutching her book to her chest.

Harry just grinned. He looked out at the horizon. It was getting dark. Holding out his hand he said, "Come fly with me Hermione."

"Okay…not too fast though." said Hermione as she tucked her book into her robe and took hold of his hand. He pulled her to sit in front of him and she got comfortable leaning against his chest.

"Hang on," he said and he kicked off heading over towards the hill at the north end of the Castle.

-

Harry stopped at the top of the hill and spread his Quidditch Robe on the ground for them to sit on. They sat in silence and watched the magic of colour dance across the sky as the sunset. "That was beautiful, thank you for bringing me here." Hermione said giving Harry a kiss.

"You are beautiful," responded Harry putting his arm around her. It had turned chilly rather fast and he felt her shiver and asked, "Are you cold?"

"A little…Harry…I," she started; she was nervous but the way the relationship was heading she needed to say it. She had to clear the air, more for herself than for Harry, before they could move forward. She continued, "Harry, I love you, I want to…be with you, but there are some things I need to tell you." She looked up at him searching his face for any reaction.

Harry heart skipped a beat at what she might have to say; he absently pulled out his wand and cast both a warming and cushioning charm around them. This could take a while. "I'm listening," he said.

"Ron and I…when he…we did things when I was with him…the Potion…it, I didn't…oh god this is so humiliating," Hermione said trying to hold back from crying. She was still trying to deal with Ron's betrayal and the intimacy she had shared with him while under the Potion's influence.

"Hermione…it(`)s okay, I understand. You love me, I love you and that is real. What ever you did or didn't do with Ron is the past." Harry reasoned.

Hermione let her tears fall at Harry's words. They were exactly what she needed to hear. "Oh Harry," she cried while hugging him tightly, "Thank you…I just felt that I had to say something…thank you for understanding."

"I intend to spend the rest of my life with you Hermione. You are my everything," Harry stated the intensity between them was overwhelming and he felt his eyes wet.

Hermione flushed at the emotion behind his words. Everything was different with Harry and she finally had the confidence to move their relationship forward. She gave him a mischievous look before straddling him; her weight caused him to fall on his back. With a seductive yet determined look in her eyes she stretched out on top of him capturing his lips in a smouldering kiss. Harry was taken aback by her forwardness but he sure wasn't going to complain and he opened up responsive to her kiss. Encouraged he flipped over pinning her beneath him and started kissing her neck, making her moan as she clutched at his back trying to bring him closer.

Neither really knew what they were doing, though Hermione did have more experience. Harry let her take the lead. There were no doubts about what they were about to do. They both were ready to take this next step.

Hermione slowly moved her hands to underneath Harry's jumper, rubbing her hands along his chest, as he took in a deep breath at her touch. She smiled, pleased that she was having an effect on him and then she pulled the jumper off sending Harry's glasses flying off with it.

Thankful that he had the foresight to cast the warming charm Harry repositioned himself so that they were facing each other as he undid the clasp to her robes letting it fall down to her side.

They weren't in any hurry and they took their time removing clothing and exploring each other's body. Soon they were down to undergarments; Harry tentatively reached out cupping Hermione's lace covered breast and she sighed leaning into his touch kissing his lips. Harry fell back pulling Hermione on top of him, as he made quick work of unclasping her bra. She laughed at the sudden movement. She was happy that this didn't feel awkward or uncomfortable as she positioned herself at Harry's side and went to work removing his underpants.

Harry was preoccupied with his mouth laving Hermione's nipple when he felt his arousal fully exposed. He was a little bit nervous, he knew this was going to be quick and he wanted to make sure that he pleasured Hermione first. He moved his attention from her breasts to gaze into her beautiful aroused face; she actually wanted to make love with him. He moved his hand between them and nearly came undone at the wetness on her knickers. "Hermione, are you…do we need a charm?" he asked with a strangled moan.

Hermione leaned forward to grab her wand causing her to press into Harry's arousal, they both groaned at the sensation. The only thing between them a thin layer of cotton; she grabbed her wand and cast the contraceptive spell Mrs. Weasley had taught her last summer. Yeah, that's right Mrs. Weasley. Pushing any further thoughts along those lines from her mind she kissed Harry fully as she dropped her wand.

Harry pulled off Hermione's knickers while she gently stroked his erection; she couldn't help compare and she was quite surprised. He moved his hand back between her legs exploring her folds; she pushed against his hand as he eased one and then another finger into her opening.

"Yessss," moaned Hermione.

Encouraged Harry slowly pushed his fingers in and out. "Come for me Hermione…please," Harry whispered into her ear.

"Oh my…gu-," she shuddered as her orgasm clenched around his fingers. Overcome with wanton desire Hermione pushed Harry onto his back and positioned her entrance over his erection, there were no questioning looks, no hesitation just base desire. "I need to feel you inside me," she said and then she plunged down on his hardness. The pain ripped through her as she gave her virginity to Harry, she bit her lower lip as she tried to hold back from crying out.

Harry held still fighting against his instinct to move as Hermione adjusted to having him inside her. He reached up to wipe away the tear that escaped the corner of her eye. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes…just give me …I didn't…" she tried to speak but then gave up on talking as the pain eased

Feeling Hermione relax Harry's body took over and he pushed up into her, he wanted to go slow, make it last, but he couldn't hold back any longer. He kissed Hermione before burying his head into her neck, "I'm not…going…to last …" he grunted.

"Its okay Harry…let go," Hermione said as they quickly found a rhythm slowly moving against each other. Unexpectedly she felt a knot build inside her and instinct took over as she increased her pace. "Oh," was all she said.

At her words Harry thrust into her and when her felt her pace change that was it with a loud groan he came filling her with his seed. A few seconds later Hermione let out a pleasurable scream as a second orgasm washed over her.

"Wow," said Harry his hands on her hips to hold her place, as his kisses made their way from her neck to her lips.

"That is an understatement," she murmured against his mouth. She made to move to his side but his hands held her firmly onto her hips. She sighed, "I love you Harry, so very much."

"I love you too Hermione. I always have, and I always will," he said his green eyes fixed on her brown ones before he released his hold. When she moved he noticed the blood, he was confused and looked up at her. "I thought…" he started to ask.

"Only you Harry," Hermione said with a sated smile as she grabbed her wand to cast a cleansing spell on them both. She then laid back down beside him snuggling in close, it was late and she was getting sleepy.

"Only you too Hermione," Harry whispered and then kissed the top of her head. He renewed the cushioning and warming charms, cast a strong ward around them and lastly transfigured her robe into a warm blanket to cover them before drifting off to sleep. He was happier than he had ever been in his entire life.


-->