Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Death Arch by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Death Arch

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own HP. JKR does. Some details are taken from the fanfiction HP and the Psychic Serpent by Barb that can be found on fanfiction.net.

A/N: Thanks to all the ones who reviewed, it really means a lot to me. And thanks to my wonderful beta Cheryl, who had to do a big work on this one. You really are amzing,

my dear!

Chapter Eight

"The duel"

"Sorry I'm late," he answered without looking at Voldemort, but staring directly at Hermione.

"I'm here now, let them go." Harry said firmly, finally looking into the red slit eyes of the purest incarnation of evil to be seen in at least a century.

"Potter, Potter, you don't know how to play the game do you?" Voldemort droned, grasping his wand, "My answer to that is…NO."

In that moment, Draco began stir at first he had forgotten where he was and his body shook involuntarily trying to regain consciousness. He looked up in time to see Harry staring down the Dark Lord with a look so full of rage and contempt that would have terrified the average Wizard. In those few seconds Draco finally conceded that Harry was in a fact a truly powerful Wizard. Chancing a glance at the Dark Lord, Draco thought he saw a glimmer of concern on the evil Wizard's snakelike face. Draco's eyes grew heavy as he slipped back into unconsciousness with the thought, `It was probably just wishful thinking, but maybe…'

"You want to kill me, don't you? Well, I'm here. Now let them go!" Harry commanded.

"You are making this too easy Potter, far too easy." Voldemort sneered in reply. "You think this is negotiable do you? Well, let's see then…How about a choice? You duel and you all die or you kill yourself and just maybe…I'll let the Blood Traitor live. The Mudblood, however, she will die. The choice is yours, watch me kill her or kill yourself first knowing that she will join you shortly thereafter. Hmmm? Which do you choose Potter?" Voldemort offered laughing at Harry's look of uncertainty.

Harry looked to Hermione, her faced streaked with tears and then to Draco fighting his way back to consciousness from the floor. Steeling his resolve, he knew what he had to do. At the same time Voldemort was watching Harry carefully and taunted, "Look Potter, your Mudblood understands her kind have no place in our world."

"If she has no place in our world then I don't either." Harry announced as Hermione and Draco looked on alarmed, each thinking the worst.. "She is better than you will ever be," Harry stated calmly walking over to Hermione and running his finger gently over her cheek.

"Harry please don't," Hermione fearfully pleaded staring deeply into his eyes.

Harry was taken aback, she loved him it may be only in friendship but she loved him he could see it in her eyes. He moved closer to her and whispered in her ear, "This is for the best…trust me?" He then pulled back, looking from Hermione to Draco, and said, "You both know what to do." Turning away from them, Harry walked over to Voldemort and stood directly in front of him; rage, contempt and hatred welled up inside him, but with those strong emotions came something else...something that Voldemort could never have.

"Okay Voldemort, you win." Harry stated.

Hermione let out a gasp and Harry secretly gave her a reassuring look.

"You are smarter than I thought," Voldemort sneered, "Pity."

Distracted, Voldemort didn't notice Draco slowly withdraw the wand hidden in his boot and free Hermione from her restraints. He gave her a silent pleading look that implored her to play along; thankfully she nodded her head in understanding. There were two Death Eaters in the room and as their attention was focused on Harry and their Master, Draco nodded his head toward the pair and mouthed to Hermione, "We can take them."

Harry realized that Draco had understood and closed his eyes briefly as relief washed over him. Appearing to steel his resolve Harry said, "Okay, I'm ready," and pointed his wand towards his own chest.

"Avada..." Harry said, drawing out the word, as Draco aimed his wand at Harry and shouted, "Expelliarmus!" Harry's wand flew out of his hand towards Hermione, who quickly snatched it out of the air.

Extremely angered by the interruption, Voldemort turned to his Death Eaters and shouted, "Capture them!" Turning back to Harry, his voice filled with fury, he said, "Now you will die my way, Potter. I will enjoy your suffering, now watch your Mudblood die."

Wasting no time, unarmed Harry did the only thing he could do...he charged into Voldemort while his attention was focused on Hermione. At the same time, Draco and Hermione made quick work of the Death Eaters, quickly relieving them of their wands and then stupifying them. As Draco cast the binding spell on the fallen Death Eaters, Hermione turned to Harry and tossed him his wand.

Righting himself and catching his wand, Harry quickly turned to where Voldemort still lay on the ground; pointing his wand and shouted, "Crucio!" Unfortunately Voldemort easily blocked the curse and counterattacked immediately.

"Imperio!" Voldemort shouted as the curse hit Harry he felt his mind go blank and then the warm, peaceful feeling of nothingness; "Kill the Blood Traitor and the Mudblood, Potter."

He heard Voldemort's command and raised his wand in submission, but he hesitated he couldn't follow through, `No, this isn't right. I don't want to kill them, I don't want…' and he threw off the curse.

Harry turned to Voldemort with a smirk and said, "No, I don't think so," and started throwing curses at his life long nemesis. The duel continued for what seemed like hours as Hermione and Draco watched on unable to do anything but keep watch out for any more Death Eaters. At one point Draco made a move to intervene, but Hermione held him back as she knew that only Harry and Harry alone could defeat Voldemort.

Matched wand for wand, neither Harry nor Voldemort could gain the upper hand. Hermione cried out as she watched Harry suddenly trip when he tried to avoid one of the curses.

"Avada Kedavra, " Voldemort shouted, a smug expression on his face as he watched the green streak of light advance on the vulnerable Harry.

It was a long shot as Harry defended himself by throwing a stone in the path of the light and rolled out of the way. The stone exploded taking on the full force of the curse and Harry jumped to his feet ready to defend himself against his enemy's next move.

"Surprising Potter, Moody has trained you well. It would appear that your luck is still holding perhaps a change in tactic is in order." Voldemort said as transformed into a giant serpent and then hissed to Harry in Parseltongue, "Let's see how well you duel in your Animagus form? Yes, yes I know all about it…"

Hermione and Draco looked from Harry to Serpent-Voldemort and then back to Harry as he responded in Parseltongue, "Bring it on." A few seconds later he himself transformed in to a Golden Griffin revealing to his friends for the first that he was also an Animagus. He took off and flew to the rafters to contemplate his next move.

Griffin-Harry effectively avoided Serpent-Voldemort's assaults dodging and flying with great agility and skill. When Griffin-Harry went on the offensive he succeeded in sinking one of his sharp talons into the side of his opponent. .

"He really is a brilliant flyer…a natural." Hermione said dumbstruck with shock. As the worry set in Hermione slumped against Draco her head on his chest as her body shook in great sobs. She was suddenly overwhelmed with the realization that Harry could die right before her very her eyes, he was willing to die for her…that he didn't want to live with out her, and even after everything that had happened since the summer. In that moment the binding hold of the Love Potion broke she shuddered violently at the sudden clarity coursing through her as she fought through the haze she had been stuck in for the past several months.

Feeling Hermione shudder Draco wrapped his arms around her tightly in an attempt to console her. He knew that she would never return his affection and this was his chance to show her that even he could be a caring friend. Friendship would be better than nothing he thought as he whispered words of comfort. In a flash of "Now or Never" confidence Draco leaned forward his lips only inches away from a very confused Hermione's lips when suddenly their attention was pulled back to the battle.

"Look the Dark Lord is bleeding! He's not moving!" Hermione shouted as she pulled away from Draco's embrace in time to see Griffin-Harry fly down to take another swipe at Serpent-Voldemort's immobile form. The Griffin sank his teeth into the Serpent's side causing it to writhe in agony as blood squirted from the bite and pooled on the chamber floor.

Serpent-Voldemort managed to wriggle free from Griffin-Harry's clenched jaw and made a fast retreat hissing as he slithered through a crack in the wall, "This isn't over Potter."

Harry quickly transformed back into human form and fired a succession of hexes at the crack in the wall. He knew very well that the war wasn't over, but he had won the battle and for the time being he would enjoy the small victory. Hermione and Draco were still alive and safe for now. He had barely gathered his thoughts when Hermione ran into his arms hugging him fiercely in gratitude and relief. Harry lovingly hugged her back as she rested her head on his shoulder tears streaming down her face. Gazing down at her beautiful face Harry lost all control, before he even realised what he was doing he leaned forward and caught her lips up in gentle sweet kiss.

"How touching," the voice from behind them sneered, with Hermione still nestled in his arms they turned to face two new Death Eaters standing at the chamber entrance.

"Stupefy!" Draco shouted as one of the pair fell stiffly to the ground. The remaining Death Eater pulled back his hood to reveal his identity. It was Viktor Krum!

"Vell, Potter Ve meet again."

"You bastard!" Hermione screamed and then lunged for Krum only to be held back by Harry.

"Vaht Hermyninie, you are not happy to see me?"

"He brought me here! He turned me over the to V-Voldemort but not before trying to…back at Hogwarts…in the dungeons…" Hermione cried but she couldn't finish and buried her face in Harry's chest.

"Go stand with Draco Hermione," Harry whispered in her ear and she complied. Turning to Krum wand ready and filled with blinding rage Harry suddenly shouted, "Crucio!"

Stupidly Krum misjudged Harry and had not expected to be hit with an Unforgiveable as he fell down screaming and writing with pain. Krum was no match for Harry as he hit him with the curse a few more times. Harry momentarily thought about killing Krum but the look of horror on Hermione's face made him stop and finish the torment with a Stupify. Harry left Krum lying on the floor as he walked over to Hermione's side. "I'm sorry," he said, "He hurt you and I…"

"Vat Potter, I am not good for you to kill? You missing something in your training you never turn back on the enemy," Krum said getting to his feet wand drawn, "Avada…" but before he could complete the curse three wands pointed in his direction and three different spells were cast.

"Expelliarmus!"

"Impedimenta!"

"Deflagro!"

Krum again under estimated Harry Potter and subsequently Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy also, the full force of the three spells exploded into him causing his body shred into pieces of searing burned flesh.

Hermione screamed.

Draco vomited.

Harry slumped to the floor exhausted.

Taking a few minutes to recover, they then gathered the subdued Death Eaters and sent them on to Ministry Law Enforcement via Portkey set up by Draco who had a few hidden talents himself.

They had a great deal to discuss but that could wait for later it was time to return to Hogwarts.


-->