Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Death Arch by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Death Arch

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own HP. JKR does. Some details are taken from the fanfiction HP and the Psychic Serpent by Barb that can be found on fanfiction.net.

A/N: Thanks again to all of you for your reviews, they mean a lot to me. And special thanks to my beta Cheryl, she's always extraordinary, and this chapter really needed her help.

Chapter Nine

"Return to Hogwarts"

To say Krum was dead was an understatement.

As they made their way back to the courtyard, Harry replayed Krum's death over in his mind. He thought he would be more…something, his, well not his specifically but the combination of their spells had obliterated Krum. Before Harry could dwell on what he should be feeling Hermione suddenly wrapped her arms around him. He closed his eyes lost in the sensation of her body pressed up against his.

When her gaze met his, everything hit her all at once, the realization that what she thought she felt for Ron was wrong and that here wrapped up in Harry's arms was where she truly belonged. She felt safe and secure, her mind was clear the effects of the Love Potion completely gone. Her lips met Harry's and then she felt his arm on her back as he pulled her closer, tighter against him. Their kiss deepened and she held on to him like a lifeline as their tongues tangled and danced in exploration.


Quite some time had passed before Harry broke the kiss. "Wow," he said.

"About time you two came up for air," Draco said with a noticeable sadness in his tone.

Harry whispered something in Hermione's ear at first her eyes grew wide with shock and then her lips turned up into a playful smile. She left Harry's side and sauntered over to Draco, placing a hand on each shoulder she pulled herself up on tiptoe, he was so much taller than Harry, and gently brushed her lips across his. Then she moved over to his ear and whispered breathily, "Thank you for coming to my rescue." Planting a chaste kiss against his cheek she hugged him tightly and then let go.

Draco was stunned, he felt off balance and almost giddy. "Thank you, Hermione." he simply stated.

Hermione only smiled at Draco in reply as she returned to Harry's side taking his offered hand in hers. Harry gave her a quick wink and the threesome then continued on their way to the courtyard.

Arriving at the courtyard they realised that they couldn't return to Hogwarts through the Death Arch, neither he nor Draco had any Gillyweed left.

"Allow me," Draco offered as he pulled off his shoe, cast the incantation for a Portkey on it and held it out for Harry and Hermione to take hold. "Father insisted that I learn the spell, never realised just how handy it would be." Draco said with a smile just before the Portkey took them to the Hogwarts gates.

---


They landed in an ungraceful heap just outside the front gates. Pulling themselves together, they made their way up to the Castle doors. When they entered, a crowd had gathered to greet them with resounding cheers, but Harry didn't stop. He headed straight for Dumbledore's office as the gregarious crowd of well-wishers parted way in order for him to pass.

"Chocolate Frog," Harry said to the gargoyle and headed up the stairs to the inner office, still holding Hermione's hand and Draco following. The Headmaster welcomed them warmly and he asked, "Are you all right Miss Granger? Are you up to recounting your ordeal?"


"I'm fine, thank you Sir. Well…" Hermione began, "I was on the train, Ron had just left me to meet his Mum, when Viktor appeared at the compartment door. I was quite surprised but happy to see him, but he looked angry and before I knew it he pulled his wand and cast a spell at me. I didn't have a second to even react," she explained as she lowered her head ashamed at her inability to protect herself. "Viktor had taken me to some dungeon, I think it was here at the school, something seemed vaguely familiar." she recounted shakily. "Anyway, he locked me in the cell for a few days; I'm not sure how many. And then…Viktor…he tried to…" Hermione chocked out losing her composure; Harry put his arm around her in comfort. Hermione took in a deep breath and continued, "He tried to kiss…and touch me; I was confused…I tried to explain to him that I didn't feel that way about him…that he should let me go. But that was the wrong thing to say…he…uhmm, he tried to…but some loud noises distracted him." Hermione paused to take in another cleansing breath of air, "He left for a short time and when he returned he said that we were leaving immediately. He cast another spell at me and I blacked out again."

"Why didn't you call out for help when you were in the dungeons?" Draco asked.

"I didn't have my wand, I didn't have anything but the clothes on my back. Viktor cast strong wards and a Silencing charm on the cell, I was helpless to do anything," she sighed. Harry placed his free hand over hers and gave it a light squeeze.

"I woke up in a dark room with Voldemort speaking to me about you, Harry." Hermione said as she glanced up at Harry.

"I saw that, Voldemort showed me…using our connection," Harry mumbled then his mood changed to anger. "If I'd only been more …questioned why Krum was on the grounds when I saw him on the Marauder's Map that night …but…Sir…if Hermione was with Krum why didn't she show up on the map too?" Harry questioned.

"Hmmm, it is possible to cloak a person from being seen, Harry, a Delusion spell most likely. The Map could be fooled, it is not perfect." Dumbledore pondered.

Harry looked a little surprised; he had thought the Map to be infallible. It had never failed before. Harry pulled the Map out from his pocket and tapped it with his wand stating, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." and then spread it out on Dumbledore's desk. It correctly showed, Harry, Hermione, Draco and Dumbledore all in the Headmaster's office.

"Extinguo!" Dumbledore said and suddenly the spot labelled "Dumbledore" disappeared even though the Professor was still sitting right in front of them.

"Okay, but Sir, why would Krum not cast the Extinguo on himself as well?" Harry asked.

"I guess we'll never know, an error in judgement perhaps?" the Headmaster replied before asking, "Now Harry, tell me what happened after you found Hermione?"

Harry recounted the events that had occurred to Dumbledore, with Draco and Hermione adding their input when necessary. Dumbledore closed eyes and listened to the retelling without comment, choosing instead to listen intently.

"Interesting…" He said once they had finished, "Voldemort's Animagus is a serpent…not surprising really. That is an important detail, that advantage will no doubt assist us in tracking him..." Dumbledore fell silent again for a moment and then offered Harry congratulations in successfully facing Voldemort again and said, "I think we can be fairly certain that Voldemort will not underestimate you again."


"And I will be ready for him," Harry replied confidently then looking over at Hermione a slight blush flushed his cheeks, "Professor Snape was right…when you care…when you love someone you can accomplish just about anything."

Hermione gazed back at Harry her cheeks flushing too.

"Hermione, you must owl your parents they are very worried about you," Harry said as he stood up taking Hermione's hand. "Your parents sent me the owl that alerted us of your disappearance," he said and they left for the Owlery.

Before they exited, Hermione stopped and turned back to Draco and said, "Thank you again Draco that was very brave of you…" Hermione paused a smirk formed on her lips, "Very Gryffindor I'd say…"

Draco quirked his eyebrow and smirked back, "Not bloody likely…and your welcome though Harry is the real hero."

Harry made a strangled gagging noise as he pulled Hermione through the door and shouted, "Couldn't have done it with out you mate!"

"Harry, Miss Granger after you send that owl I want you to head over to the Hospital Wing to get checked over by Madame Pomfrey…and you to Mr. Malfoy." Dumbledore ordered.

"Right, will do!" Harry shouted.

"I'll go now Sir," Draco said.

---

Conveniently the Owlery had a little writing desks with some spare quills and parchments, Hermione dashed off a quick letter to her parents letting them know that she was fine. She decided against telling them exactly what happened, but that she had run into an old friend who was all in a panic and that she had gone with him. She added an apology for worrying them and that her friend had been taken care of.

"I hope they buy it," Hermione said as she tied the letter to Hedwig's leg. With a thank you from Hermione, Hedwig flew off into the night. "Thank you for letting me borrow Hedwig Harry." she said somewhat shyly, "Harry? Did you mean… when you were talking earlier…about love." She closed her eyes and blurted, "Were you referring to me?"

Harry smiled at her, she was rather cute all flustered, and wrapped his arms around her; he slid one hand up to cradle the back of her head. His other hand held firmly at her waist and he pulled her closer to him kissing her like they had in the courtyard. Reluctantly pulling away he looked her directly in the eyes and finally answered, "Yes you Hermione. I love you."

"I…I…love you too. I feel it so strongly…I'm overwhelmed," she said with tear filled eyes.

Becoming acutely aware of their surroundings Harry said as he tenderly brushed away her tears, "Let's get the visit to the Hospital Wing over with, shall we?"

A quick kiss on his cheek and a nod of her head they were off hand in hand to the Hospital Wing each sporting a grin like a cat that'd just got all the cream.

---

From his hospital bed Draco shot the pair a wary look as the entered, "Watch out, she's on a tear." Draco warned.

The grins slid from their faces as Madam Pomfrey bustled about them pulling them apart and forcing them lay down on beds to the left of Draco. She mumbled something about reckless youth and freezing water as she left for a moment to retrieve something from her office.

"Weasley was released just as I got here," Draco said.

"Ron?" Hermione asked, "Was he hurt? Oh my…" Her eyes widened at the realisation, "Ron!"

"Hermione, its okay. I'll explain everything. There are some things you need to know," Harry soothed.

"I've…oh my. What have I done?" Hermione cried looking over to Harry. She had completely forgot about Ron, her boyfriend.

"Hermione, listen to me." Harry said firmly, "Ron…he tricked you. It wasn't real…he used a Love Potion."

Hermione paled, she looked around desperately and then giving up leaned over the side of the bed and threw up.

"Hermione!" Harry shouted as he jumped to her side, "I'll get Madame Pomfrey." Draco pulled out his wand and cast a cleaning spell at the sick on the floor.

"No Harry, its okay. I'm alright." she implored, "What to you mean…Love Potion? Ron wouldn't do that would he?" Though her sudden clarity and change in feelings did now make sense.

Harry explained what happened to Ron, the Death Eater and the Love Potion and how he was trapped and really had no choice. Hermione fought to keep her fury in check, she accepted that Ron did what he had to but it still angered her that he made all the decisions with out telling her. She couldn't help feeling violated, all the snogging and touches. None of it was real; she didn't think she could ever look Ron in the face again.

"Miss Granger, try to understand. Mr. Weasley didn't have a choice; you and his family had been threatened. He was placed under a complicated Imperius curse and was ordered to kill Harry at first chance, an order he managed to resist. It took some time, but with a few potions and a counter spell Mr. Weasley managed to break free from the curse. I am confident that he can be trusted now…and Miss Granger, he is very remorseful about what happened, especially with you." Dumbledore said joining the conversation, "He is most relieved that you are all safe."

A pained look crossed her face as she nodded in understanding to Dumbledore. Harry held on to her hand.

Dumbledore turned around and walked toward the exit. Once he reached the door, however, he turned around again and said, "Mr. Weasley would like to see you…when you are ready…both of you.

"I'm ready Sir," Hermione responded.

"Me too," Harry added.

"I recommend that you gently break the news to him." Dumbledore cautioned his blue eyes twinkling, "However, I assure you he will understand."

He smiled and left the room.

"He is a right nutter Dumbledore is," Draco stated as he fell back against his pillow and closed his eyes to get some well-deserved rest.

"Harry lay with me please?" Hermione whispered.

"Alright," Harry replied and joined her holding her tightly as they too drifted to sleep.


-->