Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Death Arch by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Death Arch

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own HP. JKR does. Some details are taken from the fanfiction HP and the Psychic Serpent by Barb that can be found on fanfiction.net.

A/N: Thanks for your reviews, they always make me happy! I hope you'll enjoy this one too. And thanks to my wonderful beta Cheryl, she really helps me a lot with my stories!

Chapter Five

"Researches for three"

Before Harry knew it the holidays were over and his classmates returned save for one. He concluded that since Hermione's disappearance was largely Ron's fault, Harry would enlist the redhead's help even if he loathed the idea of working with the prat.

Harry cornered Ron in the Common Room thrusting the letter from Hermione's parents in his horrified face. "How could you let this happen?" accused Harry, his voice eerily calm, "You just left her, unprotected, for what? So you could get home and fill your gut faster?" Taking in a deep breath he continued, "She needs you…needs us, both of us, we have to help her." Then in a surprise move Harry held out his hand to Ron and with a strained voice asked, "No hard feelings?"

Ron eagerly accepted his hand, "I'll do anything mate, anything to help find her and bring her back to me…er us."

"You may not like this but Draco is going to help. He has access to information that we never will and he's willing to risk his neck…for her." Harry added.

As predicted Ron contorted his face in disgust but quickly recovered as he had promised Harry that he would do anything and he meant it.

There was no way in hell that Draco was going to let the Weasel in on his feelings for Hermione. Accordingly he feigned disgust at the news and made a show of reluctantly participating in the quest to find her, he officially crossed the line; he was defying his father's wishes.

The small group assembled and got down to the business of working out how Hermione had been taken, where she may have been taken, and who may have take her from the train station - it had to have been someone she knew or trusted as there was no signs of a struggle.

Ron recounted his last moments with Hermione, "She was looking for something she misplaced. It was taking her forever and I started getting impatient. My mum was waiting and you know how she gets if we are late or something. So when Hermione told me to go on without her I kissed her good-bye and left her in the compartment."

"So, you're saying that you didn't stay with your girlfriend, help her because you didn't want to keep your Mummy waiting?" Draco asked his voice dripping with sarcasm, "Smooth Weasel, very smooth."

"Well…I…" Ron answered his ears turning bright red.

Harry rolled his eyes, they didn't have time to waste their energy on this, what was done was done. Interrupting Ron, Harry redirected their thoughts to the task at hand which was finding Hermione, "Okay then, Ron did you notice anything unusual during the train ride? Anything that seemed maybe odd or out of place?"

"No, not really…wait a minute…yeah…yeah I do remember something odd. I saw Viktor Krum getting off the train but that was before it had even left Hogsmeade."

"Krum? Krum was on the train but got off before it left Hogsmeade?" asked Harry to which Ron nodded his head. Draco looked back and forth between the two with a confused expression on his face.

"During the Hols I saw Krum. He was here, in the castle." Harry explained and mouthed to Ron `Marauder's Map.'

"Oh I remember now, yeah Krum took Granger to the Yule Ball, fourth year." Draco stated his eyes taking on a light Harry had never seen before, "Well then that makes Krum our number one suspect."

"Listen, Krum or whomever took her brought her to Voldemort." Harry stated as Ron and Draco winced at the name, "I had a…dream of Hermione tied up in a dark room. Voldemort was taunting her asking why I wasn't coming to her rescue." Harry lowered his head in shame and continued, "He's right, I should already be there."

"But Harry…how do you know that wasn't just another trap, like last year?" Ron asked.

"Because…I saw things from his prospective…the same as when…like when I saw the attack on your father." Harry replied.

Ron shuddered at Harry's reply but neither Harry nor Draco paid any notice.

"Potter, you're doing everything that you can. We," Draco gestured to Ron then himself, "are going to help too. We are going to find her and bring her back," he stated giving Harry a nudge on his back. Harry sighed and nodded in agreement.

Suddenly, McGonagall entered in the room and advised them that Dumbledore wished speak to them straight away.

When they arrived at the Headmaster's office, they were promptly offered a lemon drop and told to take a seat. After the boys politely declined, the Headmaster turned to Harry and asked, "Harry, what did you see in your dream?"

Harry wondered briefly how it was that the Headmaster knew everything that went on in the castle?

Harry then recounted the details of his dream and the Headmaster took in the information, his hands steepled and resting on his bearded chin. "Harry, promise me that you will not go after Voldemort on your own." Dumbledore said, "Please advise me at once when you determine Hermione's possible whereabouts, it will do you no good to proceed without the Order." He then dismissed the boys to return to their research knowing full well that the three young men had no intension of waiting for any protection.

-

They retreated back to the Library for another brainstorming session. Researching Tom Riddle/Voldemort wasn't exactly an easy task, its not like you could find the reference `How to Locate a Dark Lord' in the catalogues.

Draco was perusing a rather large textbook about the history of Hogwarts Lake when a particular passage triggered a memory from second year. "There is a legend…I thought it was rubbish when I first heard it," Draco blurted out catching Ron and Harry's attention. "The passage here references a legend about a "Death Arch," it's a stone archway allegedly located at the bottom of the Lake." he explained, "If crossed, the Death Arch will transport the individual to another dimension. Maybe the Dark Lord is using it as his hideout?" Draco paused for effect then explained further, "In second year, some of the sixth and seventh years were saying that the Chamber of Secrets wasn't the only hidden chamber at Hogwarts, there was another chamber located under the Lake…this must be what they were talking about."

"It's worth looking into," Harry stated and Ron agreed, "But the Lake is still frozen over at the minute we will have to form some kind of plan first."

Draco nodded, "Besides it may not even exist."

They all agreed to check out the legend further but for now they focus their attention on other possibilities.

-

New day, new discoveries

Harry and Ron met up with Draco at the entrance to the Slytherin Dungeons; they were going to check out the area where Harry had spotted Krum on the Maurader's Map.

Harry and Ron had decided to let Draco in on the Map; although he didn't show it Draco was impressed. He was the most familiar with the dungeons and led them to the area Harry pointed to on the Map. It was a holding cell.

Entering the cell, Harry scanned the room for clues. He spotted a hair on a blanket, he was certain it was Hermione's. He also smelled a very faint yet still lingering fragrance the he was confidant was Hermione's scent. "Ron," he called out.

Ron moved over to where Harry was standing. "Do you notice the smell? It smells like Hermione doesn't it? Its her perfume." Harry asked, "and this, this is a strand of her hair."

Ron sniffed in deeply and as he looked at the hair in Harry's hand he paled, "Yeah, Hermione was definitely here," confirmed the worried redhead.

"Okay then, we are on the right track." Harry grimly stated, "Krum must be the one who took Hermione from the train station."

Draco clapped Harry on the back and said, "Good eyes Potter, you should think about becoming an Auror."

Harry simply shrugged and then left to go update Dumbledore on their findings. Ron and Draco stayed behind and continued searching for clues.

-

Harry briefed Dumbledore on the recent discoveries including Ron spotting Krum getting off the train at the start of the holidays and then later Harry spotting him on the Map the same night the Granger's letter arrived.

Dumbledore took in all the information and nodded.

"Excellent work, Harry. I agree that you are on the right path but remember don't go doing anything rash." he advised.

Harry nodded, but in his heart he knew as soon as he found where she was he would go after her.

***

The next day Harry, Ron and Draco, after a review of the tangibles; Krum was involved, and Hermione had definitely been in the holding cell, the same cell that Harry had spotted Krum in on the Maurader's Map, decided to focus their attention on researching the `Death Arch." However, their efforts were proving fruitless. It appeared that the only reference to the `Death Arch' was in the text that Draco found yesterday.

They argued over the Arch's existence, the likelihood that it was still at the bottom of the Lake if it did exist, and how would they go about checking for said Arch in said still frozen Lake…

Unless…

Harry jumped and ran out of the Library, Ron and Draco hot on his heels. He ran to the kitchens and upon arriving called out, "Dobby! Dobby! Are you here?"

"I is here Mister Harry Potter sir." said Dobby as he appeared right in front of Harry, "Is Mister Harry Potter needing Dobby for something sir?"

"Yes Dobby, I need something from you," Harry answered, "Do you remember getting the Gillyweed for me? When I was in Fourth Year…the Triwizard Tournament, second task? Could you get some more for me? Straight away?"

Dobby nodded and quickly disappeared, re-appearing a few minutes later with the Gillyweed in hand.

"Thank you Dobby you are a life saver!" expressed Harry as he took the Gillyweed from the House Elf and fled from the kitchen.

"I is happy to help Mister Harry Potter, all he need do is ask!" Dobby called out to the back of the departing Harry.

-

Harry was out the door and heading for the Lake stuffing the Gillyweed in his mouth and chewing as he ran. Ron and Draco caught up with him as he reached the shoreline. Harry picked up a small boulder and walked out onto the ice covered Lake, he had to hurry the Gillyweed was starting to take effect. He smashed the boulder through the ice and fell in as a horrified Ron and Draco looked on.

"He's cracked," Ron said. Draco only shook his head. Silently they moved under the shelter of a tree to wait.

Under the surface of the water Harry fought back the cold and swam towards the Lake bottom. He had a hunch, Krum, the cell where Hermione had been and the discovery of the `Death Arch' legend, couldn't all just be coincidence they had to all tie in somehow. With determination Harry searched the Lake bottom managing to avoid the Squid, the Merpeople and other Lake inhabitants. Just when he was about to give up and return to the surface, he spotted a rock formation in a sort of clearing. He swam closer, but not too close - that was it, he had no doubts that it was the `Death Arch,' it really did exist!

He returned on the surface and pulled himself to the shore where he collapsed from the cold as he tried to regain his breath. Draco and Ron ran over to him shouting out questions, but Harry couldn't speak. Draco cast first a drying spell and then a warming spell over Harry. After a few minutes a warmed up Harry told them about what he had seen and that the Arch was real.

"We have to go tell Dumbledore," said Ron and after helping Harry to his feet together they ran to Dumbledore's office.

-

Harry, Ron and Draco found themselves once again seated before Professor Dumbledore as Harry recounted the most recent discoveries.

The Headmaster nodded gravely, lost himself in thought for a few moments before he spoke. "Yes, I should have destroyed the Arch many years ago. However, I didn't anticipate that Voldemort would make use of it again." he commented looking of the three young wizards before him before continuing, "I will call in the Order, you three will not make a move until we have formed a proper plan of attack." Not even Harry would disobey Dumbledore when he used that commanding tone.

Harry nodded but he was full of anger, `Dumbledore knew about the Arch? What the hell was the old man playing at? And what did he mean by `use it again'?' He spit out through gritted teeth, "You do realise that Voldemort will kill Hermione if we don't do something, sir."

-

That night another vision came to Harry as he attempted to sleep. The scene once again played out from Voldemort's point of view. Hermione was bound to a chair while Voldemort paced back and forth taunting her, "How convenient for me that you spurned Krum's misguided affection when he offered it to you, they do say vengeance is sweet. You made it was rather easy to order him to deliver you to me; he has proven a most faithful servant." Voldemort said coldly once again his thin fingers grazed her cheek, "Perhaps I over estimated Potter's intelligence Mudblood I assumed he would have discovered the `Death Arch' by now…but then again maybe he'd rather see you dead…You know Mudblood, perhaps I will give you to Krum as reward for his loyalty, unlike Snivilus, he wasn't so fortunate as his Mudblood had to die." Hermione looked at Voldemort her eyes wide with the realization. "Yes, yes, you understand…I am referring to Potter's Mudblood mother," Voldemort cackled.

Harry woke up his scar searing in pain, he wanted to slaughter Voldemort as vengeance coursed through his every pore, "I swear on my mother's soul if that bastard touches her one more time…" he raged his fists tightly clenched.

He roused Ron who was clearly in the throws of his own nightmare, they then made their way to the Dungeons to ask Draco and Snape to join them and together they converged on Dumbledore's office. Once settled in at the office Dumbledore dispatched Ron to collect Professor McGonagall and upon returning Harry relayed the details of his vision.

Snape's eyes burned with pure hatred for his onetime Master and the degradation of his beloved Lily. Even though he now served the side of Light the former Death Eater's demeanour was an intimidating sight…

After a long silence Dumbledore finally spoke, "Well, there can be no doubt Miss Granger was kidnapped by Viktor Krum, that would explain the absence of a struggle in the train compartment. Once he lured her away from the train station he must have used a Portkey and then brought her to the castle, keeping her in the holding cell until he could take her through the Arch undetected. What we don't know is how many Death Eaters he has on guard there."

"There are only about three, maybe four tops as far as I could tell from the vision." Harry offered.

"Are you certain, Potter? Did you get a look at the full scope of the operation? It is important that we know exactly what we are facing," Snape snidely commented while he looked Harry and Draco directly in the eyes. He could feel the rage coming off the two boys and hoped the strong look let them know that he understood.

Snape then turned to Dumbledore and changing his tone said, "Headmaster, I think we should prepare to leave as soon as possible. They are determined to bring Miss Granger to safety, and each one of them is in love with her…and Love is something that can create miracles."

At this, McGonagall and Dumbledore looked at Snape in shock, neither of them expected Snape to say something as hopeful as that. They then looked over to the boys looking for confirmation, two of them nodded in acknowledgement.

"When a man is truly in love, he is willing to face anything for that woman," Snape added. Harry knew how hard it must be for Snape to open up like this and he couldn't hold back a small smile from forming on his face.

"Quite right Severus, you make a valid point," Dumbledore commented and then drifted off into his own thoughts. Harry was going to have to face Voldemort alone, sooner or later; it was time to stop protecting the boy and finally let him deal with the heavy burden placed on since he was a toddler.

"It is too dangerous Severus, they are children they cannot be expected to go up against You-Know-Who on their own!" Professor McGonagall objected, "Albus, surely you are not going to consider this madness?"

"On my own? I can and I will," Harry answered, his tone fierce and firm. Draco nodded in approval, but no one noticed a stunned Ron shaking his head…


-->