Unofficial Portkey Archive

Secrets From the Past by Green_Eye_Sparkle16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Secrets From the Past

Green_Eye_Sparkle16

A/N: This took FOREVER...I wasn't focused...I had schoolwork! Blame it all on my English Professor!!! I'm sorry...here's the next chapter:

You're Safe, I'm Sorry

Professor Dumbledore and Liz were making their way down the corridor towards the Hospital Wing. Liz had been shaking the entire way there. As they walked she looked up a Dumbledore.

"Albus," she asked apprehensively. "What if I'm wrong?" Dumbledore looked down at her as they continued to walk. "You must trust yourself Elizabeth. Trust your heart."

"Is that enough?"

"It has to be." Dumbledore said quietly. Liz kept her eye on him and nodded slowly.

Liz and Professor Dumbledore continued to walk down the corridor until going into an empty room just near the Hospital Wing. Dumbledore turned to Liz, "I will see you and Harry soon. " he said quietly. And with that, he turned from her and left the room.

A few minutes later Ron entered the room and waited with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry was racing towards the castle as fast as he possibly could, pushing his Firebolt to speeds he didn't think could be reached. He held Hermione tightly with one arm and held onto the handle of his broom with an equal grip. He could see the castle getting closer and closer, yet it still seemed so very far away.

Finally, when he reached the castle's entrance, he dropped his Firebolt and took up Hermione in both his arms. She was still unconscious, and all Harry could do now was run as fast as his feet could carry him to the Hospital Wing and pray that Hermione would be okay. He ran up what seemed like endless flights of stairs until he finally reached the Hospital Wing. With Hermione still in his arms, he kicked the doors to the infirmary open. Immediately Madame Pomfrey came bustling from her office. "What is all this - "

"Hermione's hurt!" Harry yelled. Madame Pomfrey gasped and led him over to a bed. "Put her down here Mr. Potter." she said waving her hands at the bed.

As Harry placed Hermione down gently, Ron and Liz came running in. Harry wheeled around to see that Liz had reverted back into her true self - her Liz form. Only now her hair seemed redder. With his new, understanding about who Liz really was, Harry immediately thought she looked a lot like his mother. Harry quickly shook the thought and spun back around to sit next to Hermione. Madame Pomfrey was bustling around Hermione checking her injuries.

Before Liz and Ron could even get close to Harry and Hermione, Liz began to gasp in horror and dragged Ron back out of the infirmary.

"What?" Ron asked, confused. Liz was now leaning against the stone wall her chest heaving as she took deep breaths.

"What's wrong?" Ron asked again. Liz's eyes were wide as she looked around at the infirmary door then back at Ron.

"GET HARRY OUT OF THERE!" she yelled.

Ron was really confused now. "What? Why?"

"JUST GO AND GET HIM!"

Ron looked at her momentarily and then dashed back into the Hospital Wing. He ran towards Harry and told him to come, but Harry point blank refused to leave Hermione's side. Ron stood and stared at him for a moment and thought. Dumbledore trusted Liz, Dumbledore knew Liz, Dumbledore helped raise Liz. Ron had to trust Liz now. She must have some logical reason for wanting Harry out of there. After all, Charlie trusted her, and now, Liz was family. That made Harry more family than he ever was before.

Quickly deciding, Ron grabbed a handful of Harry's robes, gathered up all of his strength and dragged him kicking and screaming out of the Hospital Wing.

Harry didn't know what the hell was going on, he tried to reach for his wand, but it was back with Hermione. By the time he'd stopped struggling, he was right outside the Hospital Wing.

"WHAT?!" Harry yelled, outraged at Ron and Liz. "WHAT WAS SO IMPORTANT, THAT YOU HAD TO DRAG ME AWAY FROM HERMIONE?"

"THAT-IS-NOT-HERMIONE!" Liz yelled back, still gasping for breath.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Harry asked, still fuming.

Liz stared him straight in the eye as she spoke. "That's not her, Harry! That's someone else!"

"What do you mean, `someone else'?"

"Harry, I'm and Empath...I can feel emotions and just - " Liz was getting frustrated. " In there, that was one of the largest amounts of hate I've ever felt in my life. I've never experienced anything like that around Hermione. Whoever is in there, it's not Hermione!"

"This is crazy!" said Harry, not believing a word. He turned from Liz and Ron and made to walk back into the infirmary.

"Harry, wait!" Ron called after him. "She's telling the truth. Believe her." Ron was shaking, and so was Liz.

Harry turned around and glared at the pair of them. "Why should I?" he asked darkly.

"Harry, you have to." Liz said, her voice trembling slightly. "I know it's hard, but you must."

Harry was rolled her eyes at her and turned back around. "Harry!" Liz said.

Harry turned once more to face her.

"That person in there is not your Hermione." Liz said seriously. "That is someone very evil..."

Just then, they all heard a scream.

Quick as lightning, Harry, Ron and Liz ran into the Hospital Wing to see Hermione out of bed. She was pointing a wand towards Madame Pomfrey, who was trembling in fear. Harry looked closely, and he could see that the wand Hermione was holding was not hers. It was dark and nothing like he knew Hermione's to be. It was his wand.

Liz and Ron stood against the wall, behind Harry.

"Hermione, what are you doing?" Harry asked walking towards her. Hermione only glared at him with an evil grin spread across her face.

"Nice to see you again baby Potter." she sneered.

Harry blinked, he understood. This person, whoever she was, definitely was not Hermione. "Who are you?" he asked her.

"Why, I'm your beloved Hermione." the culprit responded.

"NO. YOU ARE NOT HERMIONE!" Harry yelled. "WHO ARE YOU?"

"Tsk Tsk, Potter." the culprit said waving her wand back and forth at Madame Pomfrey as she stared at Harry. "Is that any way to speak to the love of your life?"

"Who-are-you?" Harry asked again through clenched teeth. "Where is Hermione? What have you done with her?"

"Oh, alright...I suppose you've figured me out. Way to spoil the surprise!" the evil woman replied. "You don't recognize me baby Potter?"

It was her tone and what she had been calling him that Harry had recognized. He could see Hermione's body, but he could see through that transparent disguise now. He could see the black heart of Bellatrix Lestrange.

"Bellatrix Lestrange." Harry sneered.

"Very good." Bellatrix said, ignoring the frightened gasps that came from Ron and Madame Pomfrey.

"You know, it scared the wits out of your precious Hermione when she stood face to face with `herself'. She nearly passed out, well, after all of the torturing anyway.

Bellatrix saw Ron whip out his wand.

"Uh uh." said Bellatrix, prodding Madame Pomfrey with her wand. "I will kill her. I'm sure you know I'm quite capable of that." She said, looking back at Harry. "Don't you Potter?"

She paused for a long moment and continued to give Harry an evil grin. "You know," she said after a few moments had passed. "She did quite well at fighting the Cruciatus Curse."

Harry felt his anger rising even higher, if that was even possible.

Ron had whipped out his wand once again and was ready to curse Bellatrix into oblivion, but he was held back by Liz.

"How much do you love her, Potter? Enough to kill?"

Somehow, in a split second, Harry managed to run at her and knock her to the ground. All he wanted to do now was gouge out her eyes and make her suffer like no one had ever suffered before. Madame Pomfrey ran towards Liz and Ron. Harry grabbed his wand and pointed at Bellatrix's face. "YES!" he said darkly.

Still wearing an evil grin, Bellatrix stood up and glared at Harry.

Liz had finally let go of Ron, and he was creeping up on Harry and Bellatrix. Bellatrix was now transfiguring back into her true identity. Bellatrix had just changed completely back into herself, when Ron came up from behind and yelled, "Petrificus Totalis!"

Her body froze up and she fell forward, stiff as a board. Harry wheeled around to look at Ron.

"Ron!" he shouted. "That's it? She deserves - "

"To go to hell, I know!" Ron said, finishing Harry's sentence for him.

"I was just - "

"About to kill her!"

"SO!"

"You need to save all that hate for Voldemort!" Ron said seriously.

Harry was breathing hard, and he thought about Hermione. She had said the same thing to him not too long ago.

"She's the only one here who knows where Hermione is." Ron said.

"You're right." Harry said, now thinking somewhat logically. He turned to Liz. "Where's Dumbledore?" he asked.

"I don't know." Liz replied.

"What's going on?" Madame Pomfrey demanded.

Before anyone could answer, Profeessor Dumbledore walked in followed by Snape.

"Professor!" Harry said. "Professor Dumbledore, that wasn't Hermione! It was Bellatrix Lestrange." he said pointing to Bellatrix's stiff body. "We need to interrogate her...we have to make her tell us where Hermione is!" Harry was extremely anxious. For a short while there, he thought he'd actually gotten his Hermione back. Now, he was failing her...

"Yes Harry, I agree." Dumbledore said calmly. Snape was over by Bellatrix, picking her up and setting her on a chair. Snape muttered a binding spell and ropes wrapped around Bellatrix and the chair tightly. Dumbledore walked over to her and looked at her closely. He didn't even give her a chance to speak before he used his Legillimency skills to interrogate her and gain the information he needed.

He told Harry exactly where she was. At the Riddle House, in Little Hangleton.

"I - I was just there! I'm going back!" he said, sprinting for the exit, but Liz stopped him.

"WHAT?" he yelled indignantly. She had tried to stop him one too many times now.

"You can't go by yourself!" Liz exclaimed.

"Yes I can!" Harry shouted at her.

"No you're not!" Ron said, running towards them. "I'm coming too!"

"Let's go then!" said Harry, moving towards the doors again.

"NO!" Liz said.

"DAMN YOU! YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND DO YOU? I - "

"You need to be able to get in and out quick! You don't know how to make a portkey! Are you comfortable apparating with another person?"

Harry hesitated and then glared at Liz with a hint of defeat.

"That's what I thought!" Liz said. "I'm going with you." Ron looked very upset.

"Fine!" Harry said, giving up on winning any argument. Time was passing by and Hermione still was not safe in his arms where she belonged. "Let's go!" he yelled to Liz, who was now speaking very quietly with Dumbledore.

"Go." Dumbledore said to her. "Elizabeth, be very careful." She nodded and walked towards Harry.

The two of them raced outside, where Harry raised his wand to summon his broom. "Accio Firebolt!" he said. It zoomed quickly through the air, and landed in his hands. He and Liz flew to the entry gate, just outside of Hogwarts grounds. Near a small tree, they both apparated to the Riddle House.

They arrived in a small , dimly lit hallway. Harry recognized the snake-shaped torches.

"Be very quiet." Liz whispered to Harry. "Try to close your mind while you're here. We don't want...er...Tom picking up that you're here. Harry was too worried to argue. He did what she said, but kept his mind focused on getting Hermione back.

They sneaked around the house, looking for the door that Dumbledore had described. He'd said it was a door with an X marked on it, and a guard out front. When they finally found it, Harry recognized the guard to be Antonin Dolohov; the wizard who had cursed Hermione nearly two years ago. Harry wanted nothing more than to kill him where he stood. Instead, Liz hit him with a sleeping charm. He instantly fell to the ground.

"No one else is in there but Hermione." Liz whispered to Harry. "I can't sense anyone else. Go in and get her quick, I'll stay out here and keep watch."

Harry nodded and raced into the room. What he saw shocked him even more than the first time he'd seen `Hermione' in chains. He ran over to her and broke her bounds and held her in his arms.

"Hermione! Wake up!" Harry cried. He didn't know if he could handle this again.

This Hermione, his Hermione looked far worse. Her lips, nose and forehead dripped with blood. Her eyes were puffy from crying and her hair was all tangled. Harry could see that her arms were full of deep cuts and full of bruises.

"Hermione, love. Please, open your eyes." To Harry's amazement, she did.

"H-harry?" Hermione whimpered. "Is that y-you?" Harry couldn't keep himself from smiling.

"Yes, love! Yes, I'm here!" Harry felt her skin. It was cold as ice. Not having a cloak, for he had given it to the fake Hermione, he did all he could and held her close to him.

"I-I knew you'd s-save me. I'm j-just s-so s-sorry..." Hermione said, before she broke out in tears.

"No, Hermione! You - you don't have to apologize for anything. I'm here now. We need to get you back to Hogwarts to the hospital wing! I just need to ask you something first. You need to answer me this Hermione, please."

"Anythi-thing..."

Harry needed to know this was the real Hermione. He drew in a great breath and asked her his question.

"What - what did I promise you that night we first said `I love you'?

Hermione didn't know exactly why Harry had asked her this, for two reasons. Through all of her pain, she just couldn't bring herself to answer. The answer would hurt him.

"Harry, I - "

"Just tell me Hermione!" Harry said, sobbing.

Hermione let her tears run down her face and turned her head away from him. "Y-You...you said you'd never let anything happen to me." She was crying even harder by the time she'd finished the sentence.

Harry cried into her neck and held her close to him. "I'm so, so sorry Hermione! I'm so sorry!"

Just then, Liz burst in through the door. "WE HAVE TO GO NOW!!!"

Harry knew exactly why. His scar felt like it had burst into flames. Voldemort wasn't mad, he was downright pissed. All around him, Harry could hear people screaming and yelling. He could hear Voldemort inside his head. "You'll never escape Potter!" is what he said.

Liz grabbed him and Hermione and apparated them all back to the gates just outside Hogwarts.

Liz immediately collapsed onto the ground in tears, clutching her heart as if in tremendous pain.

"What's wrong? What happened?" Harry asked Liz as he scooped up Hermione in his arms.

"Voldemort!" she gasped. "H-he was right there...behind us!

Harry looked down at her and for some reason, he felt like crying too.

But he didn't.

"Liz," he said, crouching down to look at her, Hermione still in his arms.

Liz looked up at him with tears trailing down her face. "Liz," Harry said again. "I'm going to take Hermione back up to the Hospital Wing and then I'll come back and get you, okay?"

Liz nodded and drew her legs up to her chest as she backed up against the gate.

Harry mounted his broom just as he had done before, holding on to Hermione tightly as he kicked off and flew as fast as he could towards the castle.

This time, Harry did not even dismount his broom. He simply flew in through the doors and up the flights of stairs to the Hospital Wing. "H-Harry..." Hermione moaned as they flew up towards the Hospital Wing. "I'm here Hermione!" Harry assured her. "I'm here love!"

"Harry...I-I'm sorry!" she cried.

"NO! Hermione, just wait...everything is going to be alright! I promise!"

When he finally reached it, he took up Hermione in both arms and ran into the room. "HELP HER!" He shouted to all who were in the room.

Madame Pomfrey, who had been sitting in a chair talking with Ron, shot up out of her seat and practically flew over to Harry and Hermione. "Set her down here Mr. Potter! Quickly!"

Harry did as she said and felt hot tears forming in his eyes. He did not try and suppress them at all, but let them run wild down his face. Hermione was now unconscious. When it happened he did not know. He had just heard her speak to him, so it must have only happened moments ago.

Ron came running over to them and stopped abruptly at the sight of the tortured Hermione. He glared over at Bellatrix, who was bound in chains and under a sleeping spell in the corner of the Infirmary. After tearing his eyes away from Bellatrix, Ron looked at Harry and saw him sobbing over Hermione as Madame Pomfrey hastily ran around the room gathering up potions and such.

"Harry," Ron said. "Where's Liz?"

Harry reluctantly tore his eyes away from Hermione to look at Ron. "What?" he said, not really having heard what Ron had said.

"Liz." Ron said. "Where is she?"

"Liz! She's at the gates. I told her I'd go back to get her." Harry turned back to Hermione. It was obvious he didn't want to leave her. Noticing this Ron took the initiative and ran towards the doors.

"What are you - " Harry started.

"You stay here mate." Ron said. "You stay with Hermione, I'll go and get Liz."

Harry nodded gratefully and returned his full attention to Hermione.

Ron darted out of the Infirmary and grabbed Harry's Firebolt off of the ground and ran with it downstairs and out of the castle. He mounted the broom and sped off to the outer gates to retrieve Liz.

He got there quickly and saw Liz, huddled to herself, leaning up against the gate.

"Liz!" he called. "Are you alright." She gave him a weak smile as he landed and ran toward her. "Are you okay?" he asked again.

"Yes." Liz replied. "I'm fine. How's Hermione? How's Harry?"

"Dunno, I raced out here as soon as Harry brought her in. Hermione was unconscious so...I didn't think Harry'd want to leave her.

Liz nodded slowly. "No, he wouldn't" she said. "He'll never leave her."

Ron looked at her, puzzled for a moment, but shook it off.

"You know," he said with a slight smile as he helped her to her feet. "I don't think my brother would really like seeing you doing all of this dangerous stuff."

Liz smiled back at him.

"Glad you're okay...sis." Ron said.

"Thanks...bro."

A/N: Okay...I hear you screaming! That was a horrible place to end the chapter huh? For you guys anyway! I, on the other hand, want it to stop there! So...I'll be making it up to you in the next chapter with some talking....hmmm...yelling? Screaming? Laughing? Crying? A bad temper? A good temper? Exactly what you're expecting? Not what you're expecting...okay I'm teasing you all now.

I'll work on the next chapter and try and get it up quicker than this one...I can't promise anything, but I'll work at it.

Thanks for reading! Leave me your comments please!! I love hearing what you all think.


-->