Unofficial Portkey Archive

Secrets From the Past by Green_Eye_Sparkle16
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Secrets From the Past

Green_Eye_Sparkle16

A/N: This chapter is a bit pointless. Well...not really ,it's more like a transition. So far things have been relatively easy...no real dealings with Voldemort...I'm working on it. This chapter is a jumbled of things...which is why I named it Potpourri. I hope this keeps you interested. I hope you enjoy this one!

Thanks for stickin' with me!

Sara

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Potpourri

The day somehow had managed to come to an end. It felt like eternity waiting for the sun to set.

After their little `chat' and quick `memory hops', Harry had decided he needed a shower or...something, maybe sleep. Yes, sleep sounded wonderful. He was exhausted. He'd just retained a load full of information and his head was starting to hurt. He was happy that the truth had finally been revealed. However, he still needed more time to digest everything - having a sister, new memories, and another damn piece of foresight. What could it possibly mean? And what greater things would come if he waited?

Harry's thoughts were also on Hermione. He now understood the weight of the secret she had been carrying. It had to have been harder on her than it was even on Liz. Hermione knew him better than anyone else. She was the closest person to him. He imagined having to keep a secret like that from her...it would have nearly killed him. He couldn't be angry with her as much as he had been before. He resolved to taking a shower and a quick nap. After that, he'd be in the hospital wing with Hermione...forgiving her and asking for forgiveness.

Happiness was the overall feeling Liz was retaining, she couldn't be happier to finally have told Harry the truth...in essence it wasn't the whole truth. There was still that tiny little secret she had to keep. But the greater part of the burden of secrets had been lifted. There was time to be at ease. Not complete ease, as they were now in the beginning of war, but having her little brother back in her life was more than she could have ever hoped for. She could sense that Harry, despite his somewhat shallow understanding, had more depth than he was letting on. He needed more time, and she was going to give it to him.

Harry and Liz left the Room of Requirement. It was late in the afternoon, and the rest of the school seemed to still be in the Great Hall. "What is Dumbledore telling them?" Harry asked Liz.

"Your guess is as good as mine. Though, Madame Pomfrey did say she assumed he would tell them the truth. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure he would too. Not the entire truth mind you, but things they certainly need to know."

"Yeah," Harry said. "I'm surprised though, that he hasn't come after me or something. Usually in situations like these I'm up in his office by now."

"I'm sure he'll be talking to you soon," Liz said. "Very soon."

They kept walking until they came to a junction. Liz went in one direction - towards the Hospital Wing to talk with Hermione and Ron, and Harry went in the other - to the Head Boy chambers.

When Liz reached the hospital wing, she found Hermione sitting straight up, demanding to go and see Harry. Both Madame Pomfrey and Ron were trying to calm her down. "Lie back down Miss Granger," Madame Pomfrey kept saying. "You're still in a very weakened condition. You'll not set a foot out of this infirmary until I say so." Hermione let out a huff and lied back down. Liz came over to her bed, chuckling.

"Liz," Hermione said, sitting back up. "Where's Harry? Have you seen him? Did you talk to him? Is he alright? What's going on - "

"Hermione, calm down," Liz said. "Harry's gone upstairs to get some rest. Yes, we did talk. Everything is fine, and I'm sure Dumbledore will come and tell us what's going on soon."

"But Harry's not safe by himself! What were you thinking?" Hermione exclaimed.

"Miss Granger, I will have to ask you to keep your voice down," Madame Pomfrey said bustling out of her office. "Now lie back down."

Hermione looked at Madame Pomfrey defiantly. She looked like she was about to jump out of bed and run all the way up to Gryffindor Tower to see Harry.

But she didn't. She lied back down as Madame Pomfrey had instructed. "Good," said Madame Pomfrey, and she returned to her office.

"Hermione, listen," Liz said calmly. "Harry's really tired. I came in here to tell Ron to go upstairs with him, I don't think he should be alone either."

Ron looked at Liz and stood up. "So, everything's okay then...between you and Harry?"

"He still needs time to sort through it all, but yes, we're okay."

Ron nodded and bent down to give Hermione a hug. "Don't worry Hermione," he said. "He'll be fine."

Hermione gave him a smile, and Ron walked away to leave the infirmary. "Wait," Liz said before Ron left. "There is one thing I didn't tell him. I thought you might like to do that."

Ron gave her a bewildered sort of look. Liz raised her eyebrow and smiled.

Ron knew immediately what she was talking about. "Got it," he said. And he left the Hospital Wing.

"So," Liz said, taking a seat on the edge of Hermione's bed. "How are you feeling?

"I'm worried," Hermione said anxiously. "I just - I want to see Harry."

"Hermione, I mean physically, how are you feeling?"

"Oh," Hermione said slowly. "I'm just a little sore. H- He hit me with that curse so many times." Tears were forming in her eyes quickly. "I - I just wanted to die. He even tried choking me, but for some reason he pulled away and hit me with another curse. It only got worse after that."

Liz was tearing up too. She could literally feel the pain Hermione had been through, and it hurt badly. "Hermione - "

"No, I - I don't want to talk about it...I just want to forget it."

"Okay," Liz said, taking Hermione's hand in her's. Feeling that Hermione was in more mental pain than physical, Liz decided to comfort her with some words of encouragement. "Hermione, listen to me, everything is going to be okay." said Liz. "I believe with all my heart that Harry will end this. I know he'll defeat him."

Hermione sniffled. "Me too."

Liz smiled tenderly at Hermione and gave her a hug. When she pulled away, she noticed something around Hermione's neck. "What is that?" she asked.

Hermione looked down. "This?" she asked, pointing at the necklace Harry had given to her on Christmas morning.

"Yeah," Liz said, bewildered. "Where did you get that?"

"Harry gave it to me."

Liz examined Hermione's necklace more closely.

"And you said Voldemort tried to choke you...with his hands and pulled away quickly?" Liz asked.

"Yes," Hermione said. "Why?"

"What did Harry say to you when he gave you the necklace?"

"I don't remember...I love you?" Hermione answered.

"No...he had to have said something else. Think Hermione...did he say anything about...family?"

Holding onto the pendant that dangled from the threadlike chain, Hermione thought for a moment, trying to recall what Harry had said to her that morning. Instantly, she was transported out of the infirmary. Before her feet even hit the ground, she knew exactly where she was. At home. She was standing in the family room, she and her past self. This was Christmas only a short while ago. Her past self was holding up a tiny Christmas present that was for Harry. Hermione smiled, remembering how wonderful it had been to have Harry with her over Christmas break. Just then, past Harry walked through the door into the family room. Hermione watched her memory unfold right before her eyes. Harry had just given her his gift. Hermione remembered what Liz had asked, and listened closely.

She watched herself sit down on the sofa and unwrap the tiny package, then pull out the necklace. Hermione waited as her past self tried to give back the necklace until Harry spoke. She stepped closer to hear him.

"Hermione, look, there's only going to be two women in my life. My mother and you. I wanted you to have this, you're the love of my life My family."

Hermione smiled and twiddled the necklace hanging from her neck. In an instant, she was transported back to the infirmary, where Liz was chuckling. Hermione had landed square on her bed.

"About bloody time!" Liz said.

"What?" Hermione asked. "How did I - ?"

"I figured that was going to happen," Liz said, smiling at Hermione. "So, what exactly did Harry say?"

Hermione looked at Liz, now partially understanding what had just happened. "He said I was his family."

Liz gave her a toothy grin.

"So, this is - this - ," Hermione stammered, pulling off the necklace.

"Did Harry tell you where he got it?"

"In your parents' vault at Gringotts," Hermione said. Her expression was that of extreme befuddlement.

Liz laughed lightly and took the necklace from her. "This necklace," she said. "Is for Harry's wife."

Hermione's eyes bulged. Liz laughed and explained.

"Whenever a baby is born in the Potter family, two of those secret gems are placed in pendants and/or rings. One for the Potter, and another for their spouse. Usually, when the two are married, the Potter proclaims their beloved as family, and gives them the ring or pendant. In Harry's and your case," Liz said smiling. "He just did it a bit early."

Hermione looked up and took the necklace from Liz. She stared at it for a moment as Liz put a hand on her shoulder. "Welcome to the family," Liz said, standing up. Hermione looked up at her. She was still in a state of surprise rather than shock about what had just happened. Liz chuckled, gave her a hug and said that she was going to speak with Madame Pomfrey.

Hermione simply sat on her bed, still rather shocked by such news. She had Harry's protection with her always.

<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>

Harry walked wearily up the stairs to the Head Boy's chambers. He was so very tired. All he wanted to do was take his shower and crawl into bed. That would have to wait. Harry had almost made it all the way to his chambers without being disturbed - which was odd, considering there were hundreds of students at Hogwarts. Harry wondered briefly where they all were before Ron came barreling around a corner. "Glad I caught up with you," he said.

"Hi," Harry said.

There was an awkward silence before either of them spoke.

"So, how are you?" Ron asked.

"Erm..alright I suppose," Harry replied.

"Good."

"Yeah."

Another small gap of silence. Harry didn't know what to say to Ron. It'd seemed like such a long time since they'd last spoken.

"Hermione really misses you," Ron finally said.

"Really," Harry responded. Hermione's name had jump-started his heart. He suddenly wanted to run to the hospital wing and hold her. A shower and sleep could wait.

"Yeah," Liz practically had to restrain her from jumping out of bed."

"Then, I should go talk with her right now," Harry said, darting forward, but Ron held him back.

"No mate, you need to get some rest."

"But- Hermione...".

"She's fine. Liz stayed with her."

Harry took a deep breath. "Okay," he said, putting his hands into his pockets and leaning up against the stone wall. He closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind.

"Harry," Ron said apprehensively.

"Yeah?"

"Liz left out one little thing for me to tell you."

"Oh really? Honestly Ron, I don't think I could take much more today."

"Oh, alright then," Ron muttered. Luckily, the disappointment in his voice was disguised by an understanding tone. He knew Harry had been through a lot, but he'd sort of hoped that this news would be somewhat of a tension reliever.

The two slowly began to climb the stairs, when Harry stopped suddenly, and turned to Ron. "On second thought, you might as well just tell me tonight. I think tomorrow I'd like it to be rid of all the secrets.

Ron's face lit up. "Well, I think you'll be happy to know that this particular secret isn't really about you."

"Really?" Harry said, doubtfully.

"Really," Ron said with a huge grin on his face. "This one's actually about..."

There was a suspenseful pause.

"Who?" Harry asked anxiously.

"Well, Liz, actually."

Harry waved him off..."it's sort of the same thing Ron. There have been a LOAD of secrets about Liz."

"Well, this one's different," Ron said. "This one is pretty big!"

"Well, what is it then?" Harry said a little louder than he intended.

Ron looked at him, "Liz is married," he said.

"To who?"

"Charlie."

"Charlie? Charlie! Your brother Charlie?"

"Yep," said Ron, with a smirk on his face.

Harry thought for a moment. "So, this means that Charlie's my...brother-in-law. And so...you and I are like..."

"Brothers."

"Brothers," Harry repeated.

"Yep," said Ron. "We're really family now, mate."

Harry did the only thing that came to mind, and gave Ron a hug. "Family," he said solemnly.

Nearly an hour later, Harry and Ron had finished talking in the Head Boy's common room. The new "brothers" concluded that it was best if Harry got some sleep. Ron promised to go down to the hospital wing and check on Hermione while Harry took his shower and hopped into bed for a little rest. Then, he'd go see his Hermione.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Later that night, Hermione waited until Madame Pomfrey had gone to sleep before creeping out of her bed. After slipping on her slippers, and grabbing her wand from the side table, she slowly eased her way to the infirmary's exit. She placed a silencing charm on the large oak door so that it wouldn't creak, then slid out into the corridor. The air in the hall was crisp and chilly. She immediately regretted not grabbing a cloak, or a small blanket. However, she was on her way now, she needed to get to her destination. She couldn't wait any longer.

She rounded a corner and made her way up a flight of stairs. Upon reaching the next floor, she heard a noise, and pressed herself up against a wall, listening closely for the sound again.

Nothing.

After several seconds, she crept further in the direction of where she wanted to be. A few minutes later, she stood in front of a large portrait of a dog and a young boy. "Quidditch Seeker," she said clearly, and the portrait door swung open. She tip-toed through the Head Boy's common room and into the bedroom where she found Harry sleeping peacefully. He was lying on his back, the moonlight illuminating his tired face. Hermione moved closer to him and bent down to kiss his cheek. "I love you, Harry," she whispered. She ran a hand through his hair, dragging it down the side of his face and brushing his lips. She let her fingers linger there, and felt him shiver.

She went around to the other side of the bed, pulled down the sheets and slipped into bed with him. Lying flat on her stomach, she draped an arm across his chest, and nuzzled herself up against him, resting her head right under his chin. Hermione had done this so many times, she knew how to get comfortable without waking him. However, this time Harry felt the new presence and he moved closer.

With his eyes still closed, he turned onto his side, instinctively wrapping his arms around the familiar form next to him. "Mmm, Hermione," he moaned.

Hermione smiled, "Yes, it's me Harry," she whispered. Harry rolled over onto his side and slowly opened his eyes and smiled.

And then...

"Hermione!" he said, sitting straight up, realizing what she had done. "What are you doing here? Did you come all the way up here by yourself? Why? What were you thinking? Someone could have taken you again! Something could've happened!"

At first, Hermione couldn't speak, but she soon found her words. "Harry, I - I couldn't stay away from you any longer," Hermione said, sitting up. Tears began streaming down her face. "Liz said you'd come and when you didn't I got worried. Ron said you were probably just sleeping, but I just...I just couldn't - "

"Shh," Harry said, pulling her into his arms and mentally slapping himself for making her cry. He stroked her back as she sobbed. "I'm sorry, Hermione." he said. "I just - I just can't let anything happen to you again. If you had - if he had - " Harry was battling the tears that were coming. He pulled back, to look at her. "If anything happens to you again Hermione, I - I don't know if I'll be able to take it."

Hermione was trembling in his arms. "I know Harry, I feel the same way about you. My entire life, I've felt the same way, and I just want you to be as careful as you want me to be. If I lose you...I - I'll have nothing."

Harry brought a hand up to her face and caressed her soft cheek with the pad of his thumb, brushing the tears away from her eyes. "Shh...don't cry, love," he said. "Everything's going to be fine."

"How do you know Harry?" Hermione said, stifling her tears. "That vision Liz had - "

"Doesn't change anything," Harry said, looking into her eyes. "I don't know that everything will turn out fine, but I have to believe that it will be. And so do you."

Hermione looked at him, fear deep in her eyes. She couldn't lose him, but she had to have faith in him. "I do Harry," she whispered.

He kissed her forehead and leaned back against the headboard. Hermione crawled to him and sat between his legs. He wrapped his arms around the front of her stomach and held her to him, making sure she felt safe.

She did.

Hermione leaned her head back against his shoulder and closed her eyes. She put her hands on his and let their fingers enlace.

Harry rested his cheek on her head and inhaled the scent of her hair. Sweet apples...she always smelled of apples. After all that had happened, a simple smell and her hand in his eased his mind. No doubt he still had worry weighing on him, but Hermione comforted him in ways she didn't even know.

The two slowly slid further down the bed until their heads rested on the soft pillows. Harry, with his arms around her. Hermione with her head on his chest. It was familiar. It was safe. It was home.

"We need to talk," Hermione whispered.

"Not tonight," Harry sighed. He kissed her forehead and squeezed her gently. "Just sleep."

Hermione nuzzled herself to his chest more comfortably, taking in his scent. He smelled of soap - a familiar smell that Hermione was used to waking up to. Usually Harry took showers before bed, and he always smelled like soap. It soothed her, and she surrendered to sleep, lying in Harry's loving arms.

The day had finally dwindled down.

The conclusion:

Tonight was for them, and everything else could wait.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

In the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

"Professor, did you talk to him? Did you tell him?" There was sadness in the young woman's voice.

"No, I have not yet spoken with him."

"When will you - "

"In the morning, Elizabeth. In the morning. Right now, you know as well as I, that he and Miss Granger deserve...need this night together."

As Dumbledore turned in the moonlight, Liz saw the tears trickling from the old wizard's eyes. Her own eyes soon stung with tears.

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

A/N: Okay...well, I know I've been HORRIBLE at updating this story. For that, all I can say is I'M SORRY! My heart just hasn't been in it lately, and it's just been frustrating. I'm planning on finishing up the story in about 3 more chapters and possibly an Epilogue. I hope I haven't lost you all and that you'll come back to finish the story when I return with the final chapters.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

Thanks so much for reading thus far.

Sara

P.s. Questions you might have about the story:

#1 Where in the world was Dumbledore?

#2 Where are all the other teachers?

#3 Where's Luna been in all of this?

#4 Where in the world have all the students gone? They can't still be in the Great Hall, can they?

#5 What happened with Bellatrix?

#6 Why hasn't Voldemort sent out more "minions" (DE's)?

#7 Fighting. When's it gonna happen?

#8 What is the THINGS are MORE important if one waits a LITTLE BIT LONGER?

#9 What in the heck are Liz and Dumbledore talking about NOW?

I know you have more, but bear with me, please! I'll give you your answers in due time!

~Sara


-->