Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dragon by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dragon

jardyn39

The Dragon

by Jardyn39

Part Three of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 11: Dreaming with the Guardian

It was very late before a sombre group of Gryffindors helped themselves to some cold food in the common room. The Great Hall was being used as a makeshift ward for those students that Madam Pomfrey wanted to keep for observation.

They were relieved to find out that no students had been killed. There were many minor injuries but only a few students had anything more serious.

Harry stared at the plate of food in front of him. He'd really just taken it for something to do. He should have been hungry but he had no appetite.

Hermione had spent most of the evening going around speaking words of comfort. Even those students who hadn't suffered injuries were clearly shocked by what had happened. Harry noted with some pride that Hermione had stepped into this role having realised that the Head Girl was in no emotional condition to do so.

Wanting something to do, Harry went down to the kitchens and with Dobby's help brought back hot drinks for everyone. They stoked up the fire and everyone sat together down in the common room.

Most people managed to doze off before Professor McGonagall came silently into the common room.

Harry immediately got up and offered her his seat on a settee. Hermione felt Harry move and sat up, stretching and smiling.

Professor McGonagall sat down on the settee and Harry sat at Hermione's feet.

After a while sitting in silence, Professor McGonagall said in a quiet, carrying voice, "Conversing with dragons is considered even worse than speaking to snakes, you know?"

Harry snorted. So did quite a few people Harry had assumed were sound asleep.

"Sorry, Professor," Harry whispered, returning her smile.

"Tell me what happened," she said gently. Harry noticed that those that were awake were giving prods to those that were asleep. He realised that Professor McGonagall intended everyone to hear this.

He cleared his throat, looked deep into the dying embers of the fire, and began telling what happened. The room was dark now, and Harry found it easier to imagine that only Professor McGonagall and Hermione were listening.

He made an effort to tell everything, including his fears and feelings at the time.

He told them of the terrible guilt he felt when he believed Ginny and Hermione had been taken. He told of the bravery shown by the DA members. Yet again Neville had kept a level head and Harry made sure he told not only of his actions during the fighting but also how he'd warned him about Fudge. He told of his pride seeing Ginny and Hermione brow beating the Healers to make sure injuries were prioritised and told them all the Chief Healer's compliments. Finally he told them about the dragon and how he realised Voldemort was controlling him.

Professor McGonagall stayed with them. Eventually, Harry too dozed off.

*

Harry found himself in the middle of the Quidditch pitch. There was no sign of any damage caused by the attack but bizarrely the grass was almost completely covered with tables and desks.

Hermione was there too but sleeping. She was in the middle of the pitch, sleeping with her head on her arms and laying on an enormous book, almost as big as the table.

He set off towards her, realising that this must be a dream.

Harry reached her eventually and thought about waking her before noticing the book she was resting on. The pages of the open book showed images. Harry realised they were frantic images of Hermione's day during the attack and then again after at the field hospital.

As the images became more and more fraught, so did the sleeping Hermione. Instinctively he gently touched her shoulder and said, "Calm down, Hermione, you could not have done any more. No-one could have."

Her sleeping figure seemed to relax at the sound of his words.

"I thought you'd never fall asleep, young Harry," said a deep booming voice behind him.

Harry turned with a start and found himself looking at Kales.

"Hi," he said uncertainly.

"Do you often dream of this Guardian?" asked Kales.

"Er, sometimes," said Harry, not sure why he was embarrassed by the question.

"Now that the wand has chosen the wizard, I've come to tell you about your wand," explained Kales. "She knows most of the story but in a moment I'll ask you to wake her into your dream. First though, I'm afraid I must confirm some bad news."

"I can't use the wand to fight Voldemort, can I?" said Harry.

"Not if you want to defeat him, no," said Kales. "You will never achieve your potential for good if you allow yourself to sink to his level. I'm glad you realise this. It will not be easy and victory may come at a terrible price for you."

"Another prophecy?" asked Harry.

The dragon snorted and enormous flames erupted from its nostrils. If it hadn't been a dream, Harry thought he would have been burned alive.

"No prophecy, boy," said Kales, "I don't accept that they truly exist."

Harry smiled.

"Is there any advice you can give me?"

"Well, to be honest, none of the previous wand bearers have ever received their wands in quite the same circumstances."

Harry nodded in understanding.

"All I can really advise is this. You are not ready to believe it yet, but Voldemort fears you and is right to fear you. Young Albus' motives are good. He is trying to protect you and allow you to grow in the hope and belief that you'll have time to master enough of your potential. As in all things, some skills will come easily, others not. Make full use of those that wish to help you learn. The wand will help you in this."

Harry considered these words.

"By the way, you didn't learn to speak to me from Voldemort. The wand woke that skill in you when it chose you. Now, wake the Guardian."

"Kales, why do you call Hermione the Guardian?"

"Look at the book," he replied.

Harry looked at the open book Hermione was resting on. It showed a small tree in a forest grove. It was a holly tree. It was his holly tree. Just then the scene dissolved and Harry found himself watching himself and Kales on the Quidditch pitch surrounded by desks.

"Will she tend the tree?" guessed Harry

"No," replied Kales, "only non-magical people may tend it. It won't grow if a wizard or witch touches it. Wake her gently."

Harry gently stroked Hermione's back and whispered for her to wake.

She opened her eyes sleepily and lifted her head. The book pages faded and became blank.

Hermione smiled seeing Harry and then she looked around.

"We're in a dream, Hermione, don't be alarmed."

"A dream?" she repeated sleepily.

"I'd like to introduce you to a friend," said Harry, taking Hermione's hand. "This is Kales, and he wants to finish the story of my Apprentice Piece."

"Hello, Kales," she said. "I've dreamt of you before."

Kales bowed deeply, saying, "I'm flattered you remember, my Lady."

"I can understand Hermione being a Lady but how come I'm just a Boy, Kales?" asked Harry with a small grin.

"Hm," said Kales, "I see young Albus isn't alone in thinking he can cheek me. Now are you going to let me tell the story or not?"

*

Harry woke to find the sun streaming into the common room. He was lying on his back in front of the fireplace with Hermione curled up by his side. She stirred almost at once.

Gingerly, they both sat up.

Harry looked around the room. Most people were still asleep. Professor McGonagall was chatting happily to Parvati and Neville, who were sitting very close to each other.

"Hermione, I just had a dream about a dragon," whispered Harry.

"Me too!" said Hermione, beaming at him.

At that moment the portrait hole opened and in came Ron followed by Lavender, Ginny and Dobby. Each carried an enormous tray and as the irresistible smell of cooked breakfast spread across the room, everyone appeared to stir.

Harry was suddenly starving. He got up and extended a hand to help Hermione up as Dobby clicked his fingers. A long line of tables with white tablecloths instantly appeared. Another click and hot food appeared on heated silver platters together with heated plates and cutlery.

Ron, looking a little disgruntled muttered, "Dobby, you might have mentioned you could do that before we carried all these trays from the kitchens."

"But Sir would not have had anything to eat along the way!" replied Dobby, beaming.

"Good point," Ron conceded.

Harry snorted and Dobby came over to Harry and Hermione, beaming at them.

"Dobby is glad Harry Potter and Miss Hermione are alright," he said.

They smiled back at him and Hermione asked, "How's Winky? Were there any house elves injured?"

"No house elves were injured, Miss. The fighting didn't reach the castle, but we were ready!" he replied. "Winky was a little shaken though," he added a little sadly.

Harry made a mental note to ask Dobby later what he meant. Clearly the house elves were organised to defend the castle. It made sense. They were very magical and would be very effective fighters. Harry worried, however, that it might be the house elf enslavement that would have forced them to fight rather than volunteer.

"I'm very glad none of you were hurt," said Hermione, and from her tone he was sure she had just wondered the same thing.

"Breakfast, Hermione?" said Harry, "I think we should hurry before Ron gets his appetite back."

Harry realised that Hermione was trying to straighten her bushy hair and make her clothes neater. He had to admit to himself, she was quite a sight. Her hair was all over the place and her robes were dirty. He knew he was in a similar state.

"You look great, Hermione, honestly," Harry whispered, smiling at her. "Let's have something to eat and then get cleaned up after. You need to eat."

Hermione looked uncertainly back but finally smiled and nodded before following Harry over to the food.

*

After breakfast, Ron sidled over to Harry and muttered, "Hey, Harry. Let's avoid the queues to the showers. Prefect's bathroom."

Harry looked around. He didn't really want to take advantage of his badge. After all, he wasn't really a prefect anymore. On the other hand, he desperately wanted to wash.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible, Mr Weasley," said Professor McGonagall loudly from across the room.

Harry was stunned that she had even heard Ron.

"Sorry, Professor?" said Ron, trying to sound innocent.

"Miss Granger has commandeered the Prefect's Bathroom for the Gryffindor girls, so you won't be able to use the facilities in there until they have finished. I'm sure you understand."

As she spoke Harry realised that all of the girls had gone from the common room.

At that moment a slightly red faced Hermione lead a single file of female students from their Dormitory door, down the stairs and out of the portrait hole. Each clutched a towel and a toiletry bag. It seemed to take a while for them all to pass through.

"They'll be hours!" complained Ron loudly.

"Days, possibly, Ron," quipped Ginny with a wicked grin, as she passed.

END OF PART THREE

Summary of Part Four: The Sword of Light

After the battle, the dragon named Kales returns to Harry and introduces him to a new way of travelling undetected. This leads to a shocking discovery that not even the attentions of First Aid Club members and Snape can distract him from. Battling his own conscience, Harry needs a weapon to fight Voldemort's unseen agents from the shadows. After Harry is stabbed and poisoned, the DA battles to protect Dumbledore and Hermione. At the same time in another world Harry stands alone, fighting the creatures coming out of the darkness to attack his friends as they fight and fall. Completed.

Summary of Part Five: The Accord

Two unwelcome visitors arrive at the school and announce that a wizard will arrive shortly to challenge Flamel, the eldest member of a group of sorcerers that guard Hogwarts' greatest secret. Can Hermione cope with any more House disunity, Crookshanks' new look and Harry's determination to fight the charismatic challenger in place of the ailing Flamel? Completed.