Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dragon by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dragon

jardyn39

The Dragon

by Jardyn39

Part Three of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 9: Like My New Pet?

"Lieutenant, I regret to inform you that Colonel Nader has been found dead," said Dumbledore sombrely. "That is why the Dark Mark was flown."

The Lieutenant nodded slowly and asked, "Was all this really just a diversion?"

"We knew it would be," replied Dumbledore, "and today's events may not be over yet."

Harry gripped his scar which had suddenly started to hurt. Voldemort was close or angry.

Dumbledore looked around, as if sensing something. His eyes rested on a point high above the Quidditch stadium. Harry forced his eyes open to look as well despite the pain, but didn't see anything.

Harry shouted out, "Something's going to happen!"

Without a word Dumbledore ran back into the Quidditch stadium, taking everyone by surprise. Harry gave chase but found himself unable to keep up.

*

Harry was too out of breath to gasp at the sight that was before him.

Dumbledore was in the centre of the pitch where an enormous black dragon was bearing down on him. Harry ran as fast as he could to join Dumbledore. Harry realised that everyone had moved from the pitch, even the fallen Death Eaters were gone.

As Harry ran across the grass, he heard Voldemort's amplified voice fill the stadium.

"Like my new pet, Dumbledore? I created him myself. All the strengths of a dragon with none of the weaknesses."

Harry watched helplessly as flame completely engulfed Dumbledore.

The flames died away leaving Dumbledore still standing before the dragon, apparently unhurt. He must have put up some form of shield, thought Harry. The dragon began to back away slightly, as if wary of Dumbledore.

"Not so easy dodging fire without Disapparating, is it?" taunted Voldemort.

Instantly another flame blasted Dumbledore and with a swish of an enormous tail, all three goal posts at one end of the pitch were felled.

Harry noticed a group from the Regiment advancing on the dragon from the side. The dragon turned and almost lazily breathed fire over them. A high laugh erupted as they screamed in agony.

"Oh, dear. Their pitiful armour and shield charm's aren't much help, are they?"

Dumbledore took careful aim and fired a spell at the dragon. Harry realised he must be aiming for the collar. The dragon reared up at the last moment. Dumbledore's spell just missed the collar but hit the dragon in the neck. Furious, the dragon retaliated immediately.

"Accio Firebolt!" yelled Harry, and instantly his Broom appeared by his side. As Harry stepped onto the broom, he found his arm being held back.

He turned back to see a stricken Hermione. "Harry, please don't!"

"I have to, Hermione," said Harry, but she didn't let go.

"Hermione!" said Ginny with some urgency, "Some help here?" Ginny was struggling to hold up a wounded Regiment officer. Hermione seemed to come to her senses and released Harry.

Not daring to look back at her, Harry took off.

He flew a wide arc around the pitch. Harry wanted to evaluate the situation and give Dumbledore some advanced warning. Perhaps he could provide a distraction.

As he flew behind out of the dragon's sight, he held his wand out. Dumbledore gave the slightest of signals and Harry dived, firing rapid stunning spells directly at the dragon. He knew it wouldn't cause any damage. As the dragon turned to look at Harry fly by, very close, Dumbledore's spell hit the collar.

As Harry dodged the flame he saw, just for an instant, the dragon look around. It almost confused for a moment. Harry realised that Voldemort must be possessing the dragon. This was immediately confirmed by the pain that seared across his scar. It dulled as Voldemort again took full control of the dragon, clearly intent on killing Dumbledore.

Another flame was directed at Dumbledore. Harry could tell he was burnt a little this time. Dumbledore was getting weaker, and Harry knew he must hurry.

A high cold laugh erupted around them.

"Do get up, Dumbledore. At least let them see you die on your feet!"

Coming around for another pass, Harry dived off his broom and grabbed the back of the dragon's enormous neck.

Desperately holding on as the dragon thrashed around, he slipped down to the collar. Close to, he realised the collar was a solid band of a silvery metal. The band was at least two inches in diameter.

With his wand tip touching the collar, Harry used a reductor curse to cut it clean through. The energy surged through his arm but Harry managed to hang on. The dragon reared backwards in pain, but Harry was determined not to let go. Unfortunately, the thickness of the band kept the collar in place. With one hand on the collar, he tried again. This time the collar broke cleanly into two halves. He yelled with relief as the collar pieces and Harry fell heavily towards the ground.

The dragon appeared to be in agony. It reared back, tossing its head from side to side.

Dumbledore must have recovered a little because Harry hit the ground with barely a thump. Harry struggled to his feet. Dumbledore was propping himself up but clearly exhausted.

The dragon stomped back towards them, clearly very angry.

Harry threw the collar aside and realised to his horror what had happened to his wand. The Apprentice Piece was burnt and charred. The only piece that remained in tact was the bit he was holding. As he opened his palm, that too burst into flames.

Harry glanced at Dumbledore, still sitting on the ground and propping himself up with both arms. Dumbledore smiled back and gave him a sort of ironic shrug.

Stunned at Dumbledore's reaction, Harry turned and looked up at the dragon. It looked different from the ground. Being this close, Harry thought he would feel more scared or intimidated. As he looked up he realised he had no fear of this beast.

After-all, he rather liked dragons.

"Sonorus," he thought and then spoke aloud. "Dragon, what is your name?"

Harry's echoing question boomed around the stadium.

The dragon shook its head as if trying to clear its mind.

"I've removed the collar that was preventing me from speaking to you. I apologise if I hurt you when I cut through it. My name is Harry."

The pain burned through his scar, and he knew Voldemort was losing his control over the beast.

"I've only ever met two dragons before, but you are by far the most impressive."

The dragon calmed a little and looked straight down at him. Harry thought he saw an intelligence behind the fierce eyes.

"One was just a baby," continued Harry, hoping madly that his calm voice would pacify the dragon. "His name was Norbert. The other was a Hungarian Horntail but I never knew her name."

"My name is Kales," said the beast, flames blasting out as he spoke. "I do not remember travelling to these lands."

"That is because you were possessed by a dark wizard called Voldemort."

The dragon lowered his head and peered at Harry. He could feel the heat as he breathed.

"How do you come to speak by tongue?"

Harry was completely thrown by this question. He thought he was speaking normally.

"Voldemort tried to kill me when I was a child. His curse went wrong and I got some of his skills. I can speak to snakes too so I assume that's why. We are still linked somehow. I can see what he sees and feels sometimes."

The dragon surveyed the damage surrounding him and looked closely at Dumbledore.

"I am grateful for what you have done, young Harry. I will therefore not kill you."

"Er, thanks," said Harry grinning. "Could you also not kill anyone else here?"

"I'll consider it."

"It's not nice being controlled or used by someone else is it? Voldemort has tried to possess me. He tried to make me kill someone very special to me."

"Voldemort is dead. He died a while ago."

"He's back. He was controlling you."

"You say you are linked?"

"Yes. Would you like to, er, have a word with him?" hesitated Harry.

Kales lowered his enormous head and stared directly at him. Their minds touched and Harry felt the panic in Voldemort's head. Pain seared across his scare as Kales spoke powerfully in both their minds.

"You summoned me from a spirit world against my will. I will not harm you in this world, for anything I do to you here will also hurt the boy. Know this, as much as this boy is your mortal enemy, I am your immortal enemy. When this boy has finished toying with you he'll deliver you to me. I can wait a while longer. In the meantime, enjoy the heat."

Voldemort's scream echoed through Harry's mind before the link dulled. Harry grabbed his head, laughing despite the searing pain.

"Ha! You made him set himself on fire!" shouted Harry.

Kales sniffed Harry.

"Did I burn you? I can smell ash."

"Er, no. I think it's my wand you can smell. I destroyed it getting the collar off."

"Ah, then you are in my debt, young Harry."

"Sorry?"

"I'm not actually a dragon, you know? Dragons can't talk. Dragon's wouldn't converse with humans even if they could. Once I too was the bearer of a wand, cut from the same holly tree as your wand."

"What?"

The dragon appeared to almost chuckle at Harry's surprise.

"You may not have realised it, but when the wand finally chooses the wizard it allows the magical properties to be absorbed into the wizard and it gets destroyed in the process. That way the wand can never be separated from the wizard this is its true bearer."

"Oh," Harry managed to say, wondering how this wizard became a dragon. "Er, Kales? Would you join us and help fight Voldemort?"

"No, but as I have enjoyed our conversation and it pleases me to have imparted some knowledge to you, I will forbid my dragon brothers and sisters from joining forces with Voldemort. You will not have them, but neither will he."

"Thank you, Kales," said Harry, "if ever you come back here know you have a friend."

"Well, friend, know this. You cannot now be separated from your wand. You are free to choose what actions you do and no one can take it away. Use the wand wisely and for good and you will join me in Valhalla. Turn to the dark and I will drag you to hell with me."

"Thank you for warning me."

He crouched down and spread his enormous wings.

"It may be many years before we meet again in person. Whichever world we meet in, I expect you to have given a good account of yourself. Live well, Boy. I'm still keeping an eye on you too, young Albus."

He leapt up and into the air and was suddenly gone in a loud crack.

Harry stood rooted to the spot until the sound of distant cheers made him turn back.

"Thank you, Harry," said Dumbledore from the ground.

Harry checked that no-one else was within earshot. "Here, let me help you, young Albus," he said grinning and extending out an arm. Pulling the Headmaster from the ground, he added, "I was worried you'd been injured."

"No, but I considered it best not to move while you spoke with Kales. Thank you for asking him to spare everyone, he can be volatile."

The crowd of DA members and teachers approached quickly now that the dragon had gone.

"It's a pity he wouldn't join us, isn't it"

"He may yet. He will not forgive Voldemort for manipulating him like that."

"Was he really a wizard?"

"I'd like to think so, but only he really knows. I was only fifteen when we last met in person. He expressed the opinion that I should stop messing about and apply myself."

They exchanged a smile.

"Sir, what did he mean by meet again in person?" asked Harry.

"You'll see," replied Dumbledore with a twinkle in his eye.