Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dragon by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dragon

jardyn39

The Dragon

by Jardyn39

Part Three of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 8: The Match

It was lunchtime on the day of the Quidditch match. The sky was clear and bright and the temperature was quite comfortable, ensuring a high level of attendance.

The actual match would begin at two o'clock in the afternoon and be preceded by a Rebel challenge match that would begin at noon. It was unusual to hold two matches on the same day but as there would be a large number of visitors the school had been asked to provide some additional entertainment.

Having completed his inspection and satisfied that everyone in the DA groups were in position, Harry returned to the side of the pitch closest the changing rooms and watched the remainder of the Rebel match.

Harry watched for around half an hour, cheering and clapping along with the increasing numbers of the spectators. When the snitch was finally caught after a particularly fine dive, Harry was surprised by the volume of the cheering.

Looking around as he clapped, Harry wondered how many Death Eaters and sympathisers had managed to get into the crowd. There had been no indication at all up to now that there might be trouble ahead, but Harry still felt uncomfortable. Rubbing his forehead and his prickling scar, he turned to greet the returning players.

Having personally congratulated every player on both sides, Harry followed them into the changing rooms where he joined the rest of the Gryffindor team.

*

A while later Harry emerged from the changing rooms ahead of the rest of the Gryffindor team and scanned the crowd. Fudge was sitting up in the VIP area and appeared to be surrounded by Aurors. Dumbledore was sitting apart from them close to Professor McGonagall.

Harry was very thankful that they weren't playing the Slytherins today. Most of the Ravenclaws in the opposing team were also in the DA and they had agreed a signal that would tell everyone that the game would be abandoned.

Harry took off and circled the stadium. He felt his tension ease as soon as he saw Hermione wave up at him grinning from her position down at the edge of the pitch. He hadn't wanted her to be that close to the Slytherin supporters but hadn't the nerve to ask her to move to a different position. At least she had some friendly company next to her. Harry completed his warm up lap and landed.

Striding over to the centre of the pitch to where Madam Hooch was waiting with the Ravenclaw captain, Harry smiled warmly and extended out his hand. Cho was looking pale and visibly nervous and Harry felt her hand tremble has he shook it.

Harry held their handshake for a little while longer and squeezed Cho's hand gently saying, "You'll be fine when you get into the air, Cho. Nothing might happen, after all."

Cho smiled a little. "Thanks, Harry," she said.

Madam Hooch looked between them with a curious look and Harry realised this might not be the normal pre-match exchange between Captains.

They both took off and Madam Hooch released the Bludgers and the golden snitch. Finally she threw up the Quaffle and blew her whistle.

Harry soon began to get completely engrossed in the game despite his concerns. He couldn't help but marvel at the plays performed by the Chasers and in particular, by Ginny. They were changing tactics so quickly, the Ravenclaw chasers were practically spectators. The only thing in the way of a Gryffindor whitewash were the Ravenclaw beaters and their Goalkeeper. The three of them were playing superbly and kept Ravenclaw in the match.

Suddenly Harry saw something glitter far below. Cho had seen it too and she instantly dived. Harry threw himself flat along his Firebolt and dived.

He was much faster but was diving from a far greater height. It was going to be close.

As they approached the ground they drew level with each other. The ground was coming towards them at a frightening speed. Harry realised, probably at the same time that Cho did, that it would be touch and go whether they could put out of their dives in time. Harry had one thing on his mind. He had to catch the snitch.

At the last moment, Cho pulled up, abandoning her dive. Harry continued but pulled up a fraction of a second later. His feet scraped the ground but he recovered and shot back up into the air, his arm held high with the snitch struggling in his clenched hand.

The crown erupted with cheers and clapping. Harry looked up to see Cho flying high around the stadium. Relieved she was safe, Harry slowed and allowed himself to be congratulated by the rest of the Gryffindor team who were flying into him and patting him on the back.

There was suddenly a loud bang from the far end of the stadium.

Harry looked over towards the section of the stand that was occupied by visitors. Nothing appeared to be wrong and Harry was about to conclude that it must have been caused by an over-enthusiastic supporter.

Then it happened.

Almost in slow motion, the stand collapsed before their eyes.

Harry watched in horror as spectators fell into the rubble. Worse, figures in black robes and wearing masks were running out from underneath the front of the collapsed stand, firing curses into the crowd. It looked like a tunnel entrance must have been formed, but smoke made it difficult to see from the air.

"This is it!" shouted Harry. "Everyone go to your positions. Now!"

Before he'd finished shouting, everyone from both teams was running off to join the other groups around the pitch.

Harry looked up to see Cho flying high up over the collapsed stand. He realised she was dangerously within range of the Death Eaters. He jumped on his Firebolt and sped towards her. Sure enough, a well aimed curse hit Cho just as she changed course and tried to give herself more height.

Harry urged his Firebolt on. Cho slowed and then tumbled off her broom. Fortunately, Harry caught her just in time. With difficulty he carried her to safety and landed back down on the pitch behind on of the DA groups.

Trusting that Cho would be safe, Harry quickly joined the front line of DA members fighting the Death Eaters inside the stadium. The Death Eaters numbered at least thirty at the beginning but the DA already had them surrounded in the middle of the pitch. With Harry's help, they soon made short work of them.

Satisfied that the Death Eaters here no longer posed a threat, Harry directed the others to split into groups again and render assistance.

It sounded like there was fighting also going on outside the stadium.

Harry's group ran over to the collapsed stand and helped free those people who were trapped under the debris. He looked around, concerned that he hadn't seen Hermione or Ginny.

Someone grabbed his arm. Turning to look, Harry found himself facing a dishevelled looking Minister for Magic.

"Harry! Thank goodness you're alright," said Fudge. "I can't find Dumbledore and the Aurors have gone off. Harry, I think the Death Eaters have taken some students. One was a red headed girl that I think was playing on your team. One of the others was your friend Miss Granger. I saw them being dragged under this stand. From the way the Death Eaters came out there may be a tunnel entrance under there somewhere. I'm going to get some Aurors and we'll follow."

Harry watched as Fudge rushed off.

Anger coursed through him. Yet again, people were being hurt because of him. Yet again he was being manipulated, just as he had feared.

Harry was about to dive under the stand when he was held back.

"No, Harry!" shouted Neville, "Listen to me! What did we agree? What did we all agree to do if this happened?"

Harry shrugged Neville off, and pointed his wand warningly at him.

Neville wasn't about to give up that easily.

"Harry, I think Fudge was mistaken, anyway. I've been here the whole time. If Hermione and Ginny have been taken, I'm sure I would have seen them being dragged under there."

Just then there was a loud explosion from another part of the stadium and another group of Death Eaters looked like they were making a run for it.

Harry and Neville ran over and joined the fight which lasted a few minutes. When they were subdued, Harry sought out Neville again, painfully aware of how much time had been lost.

"Neville, when was the last time you saw Ginny and Hermione?"

Neville was about to answer when a stunning spell flew just over their heads. Another group of Death Eaters were running back inside the stadium. Harry assumed they had been fighting with the Aurors outside and were trying to make it back to the safety of the tunnel under the collapsed stand.

In their way, unfortunately, stood the DA.

Harry quickly organised themselves back into a single group and they fired volley after volley of spells and curses into the Death Eaters. It was a pitched battle and eventually only four of the Death Eaters remained standing. The DA had suffered casualties too, but these were mostly minor.

Harry stood out in front of the Death Eaters and watched as they linked arms, including their wounded.

A shout of, "The Dark Lord will be victorious!" was heard from the centre and they all disappeared. They must have had some sort of Portkey, Harry realised.

There were new shouts coming from outside the stadium. Neville tapped Harry on the shoulder and pointed up. Floating high up, just outside the stadium was the Dark Mark. It looked like it was somewhere over Hagrid's hut.

"Okay," said Harry, willing himself not to think about what the Dark Mark signified, "let's split into smaller groups again. Wounded stay here to be tended to. Ron, your group stay here. Guard that tunnel entrance and try to help anyone still under there."

Ron nodded and left.

Harry looked around. There were six DA members left in his group, including Neville.

"Roger, stay here," said Harry. "You need that arm seeing to." He nodded reluctantly to Harry.

The five remaining members followed Harry out of the stadium. Just as they exited they witnessed two Regiment soldiers dragging a reluctant Fudge out from under another stand.

Throwing Fudge down at the feet of the Lieutenant, one of them said, "We found him cowering under the stands. When he saw us he tried to dispose of these papers."

He gave Fudge a kick and gold spilled out from his money bags. Fudge then desperately tried to gather up the money before he appeared to realise that everyone was looking at him.

The Lieutenant looked through the recovered papers with growing concern.

"These show defensive positions that were only set up yesterday. It's no wonder we lost so many people today. What else have you given them?" he said angrily, reaching down and taking a fist of Fudges robes, clearly wanting a better target to punch.

Arthur Weasley rushed up to them and pulled the Lieutenant off Fudge. The Minister struggled to his feet and tried to recover himself.

"Now, look here," he said in his usual bluff manner, "I am the Minister for Magic. You have no right to make such unfounded accusations."

"But how, Cornelius," said Dumbledore, "do you explain being in possession of these plans?"

Harry turned with a start and saw Hermione and Ginny right behind him.

"If it's alright Professor," said Hermione, "we'll go and help some of the injured." Hermione beamed at Harry who sighed with relief to see they were both unhurt.

Dumbledore turned his head slightly and nodded, saying, "Thank you, Hermione."

"Minister," said Harry angrily, "You told me that Hermione and Ginny had been taken and you'd seen them being taken down into the tunnel under the collapsed stand!"

"No, No. You must have misunderstood me in all the excitement," said Fudge. "I didn't say that at all."

"Yes you did, Minister," said Neville quietly. Everyone turned to see Neville, apparently shocked at his own daring. "Y- You intended Harry to go down into that tunnel, didn't you?"

Kingsley Shacklebolt stepped out of the group surrounding Fudge.

"Minister, you are under arrest. You will have to come with me," he said in his deep voice and sporting a bad cut above one eye. "You will have an opportunity to give your version of events later."

Fudge did not move but stood transfixed at the look Dumbledore was giving him.

"I didn't sell them anything important," he said shakily, as Kingsley started to drag him away.

"Kingsley," said Dumbledore, "I wonder if I might interrogate him before he is taken away."

Harry was glad to see a look of pure fear appear of Fudge's face.

"We'll see you later, then," said Kingsley with a knowing grin, pulling Fudge back up to the castle.