Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dragon by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dragon

jardyn39

The Dragon

by Jardyn39

Part Three of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 4: What can we do?

Harry stepped out of the tent and was immediately greeted by a large crowd. Their clapping and cheers just made him angrier. Some people looked like they wanted to thank Harry personally and moved forward into the wide gap the Regiment had created as they moved through. They hesitated seeing the angry look on Harry's face.

Harry became aware that Ginny and Neville now flanked him as he watched a middle aged wizard in bright red robes walk forward smiling and holding his hand out, apparently either not noticing or ignoring Harry's mood.

When Harry didn't shake hands the wizard put his arm around his shoulder's and turned to face the crowd, beaming.

"Harry Potter!" he said loudly, not looking at Harry, "On behalf of my fellow residents of this camp, I'd like to thank you for saving our children. Without your intervention-"

The man suddenly gave a start and let go of Harry as if he'd received an electric shock.

"You may not have noticed," began Harry, desperately trying to control himself, "but there were five other students from Hogwarts who were also protecting those children, who are fine, by the way, no thanks to you."

A murmur went around the crowd, which was swelling in number now.

"A group of pathetic Death Eaters march through here in broad daylight and not one of you stands up to them even after they announce what they're going to do?"

"It all happened so quickly," blustered the wizard, "and besides we came here for protection. Dumbledore should have stopped them. It was really his fault-"

Harry turned and raised his wand, pointing it at the man's heart. "Don't you dare blame Dumbledore!"

The man immediately blanched and stepped backwards. Losing his footing he stumbled and sat rather indignantly into the mud.

Harry took a step forward but Neville put a precautionary hand on Harry's upper arm. It was enough, and Harry nodded, lowering his wand.

"Professor Dumbledore invited you all here so that the vulnerable can be better protected," said Harry loudly to the crowd. "He invited you knowing that amongst you there may be those spying for Voldemort, yet still he allowed you to come."

He ignored the gasps and scandalised expressions.

"Nowhere can ever be completely safe," Harry continued in a softer tone, "and it is unfair to expect Dumbledore and the Regiment to protect you. You must defend yourselves and each other. You may not know how to fight, but you can learn. The Regiment can help with that. And for those that cannot fight, what are you doing? I'm sure there are many ways you could help instead of just moping around this camp, too frightened to do anything. That's where you must start, of course. You must resist. Draw a line. Stop giving in to fear and start resisting. Start encouraging each other."

"But what can we do against You-Know-Who and his supporters?" asked the wizard dejectedly, still sitting in the mud.

"What can you do?" asked Harry laughing. "Where do I begin? You can help make and transfigure supplies for the Regiment, you can learn how to provide medical assistance, you can learn defensive spells and pass them on to others, you can learn to say Voldemort's name."

Hearing more gasps, Harry sighed deeply and continued, "Isn't anything better than the state of fear you're in now? Doing something, anything, must be better. If you're busy you'll have less time to be afraid and more time to think positively. These are going to be dark and dangerous times. Not all of us will live through them. So if we might die anyway, why not stand and make a difference?"

With nothing more to say, Harry turned and was about to re-enter the tent when he stopped and extended an arm to the wizard on the floor. He gratefully took it and Harry heaved him to his feet.

"Can I clean you up a bit?" asked Ginny smiling, "Harry would but he sometimes sets the things he's cleaning on fire."

"Thanks, Ginny," muttered Harry dryly.

"Er, no thanks," said the wizard, "I think it gives me a humble look and I could do with some humility just now."

Harry snorted.

"May I introduce myself properly? My name is Williamson and I'm on the camp committee."

"Committee? What does it do?" asked Harry.

"Well, so far we've been co-ordinating and pursuing complaints about the facilities here."

Harry raised his eyebrows.

"That will stop now, I can assure you. I look forward to seeing you again, Mr Potter."

*

Harry re-entered the tent and was shocked to find himself face to face with Dumbledore.

"S-Sir!" he spluttered as Dumbledore gave him a small smile. "I'm sorry if I spoke out of turn, Sir," he said quietly.

"It needed to be said, Harry, but please try to remember that not everyone can be as fearless as you'd like."

Harry nodded and was about to respond when a photographer leaped into the tent brandishing a smoking camera. He just managed to say, "Daily Prophet," before he has roughly tackled from behind by the Regiment Corporal.

The Corporal quickly got up, grabbed the camera and opened the back. Thick coloured smoke poured out as he removed the film and forcibly returned the camera to its owner.

"Sorry about that, Sirs," he said smiling, "but this one got away from me. Come on you!" The photographer was dragged unceremoniously away out of the tent.

After a moment of stunned silence, Harry found his voice again. "Will the Death Eaters that were caught provide any useful information?"

"It's possible but I doubt it. They had such little skill that I doubt Voldemort would have trusted them to know too much."

"Isn't that strange in its self?" asked Harry, "I mean were they really Death Eaters?"

"I suspect Voldemort knew they would be caught and didn't wish to risk his more useful supporters. Anyway, Harry, I'd like you to take up Perenelle's offer to provide you with additional training."

"I have accepted for myself," said Harry, "but I haven't had a chance to talk to Hermione yet. I'll speak to her tonight unless she's too upset about what happened today."

"Good. I'll leave it to her to admonish you about being out of bounds."

Harry rolled his eyes and looking back into the tent remembered something he wanted to say.

"Um, Sir," Harry said hesitantly, reaching into his pocket, "I think Ron earned his badge back today."