Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dragon by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dragon

jardyn39

The Dragon

by Jardyn39

Part Three of "The Apprentice Piece"

Chapter 5: Paying Attention

That evening at dinner, the Headmaster read out a letter from the Refugee committee thanking all six students for their efforts in defending the children. Enclosed with the letter were more drawings made by the children together with a request to hear the end of the story as soon as possible that made Hermione quite weepy.

Dumbledore added his thanks and announced that they would receive a joint special award for services to the school.

He then invited Ron up to the front of the hall where he received his Prefect Badge back to loud applause.

The Headmaster finished by saying that the kitchens had sent supplies to the Gryffindor common room should they wish to hold an impromptu party.

*

With the celebrations in full swing, Harry grabbed four butter beer bottles and mimed an invitation for Hermione to join him in a short walk outside. Stepping out of the noise into the cool, quiet corridor was a welcome change.

"That's better," said Hermione brushing her hair back before taking a bottle. She was still carrying the drawings.

They walked slowly until they found an empty classroom. This particular classroom was a favourite stopping off point for Prefects between duties because the large windows gave a spectacular view of the grounds and the deep windowboards were comfortable for sitting on.

"I'm so pleased Ron got his badge back," she said sitting down.

"Yes, although I thought he wasn't going to," said Harry, "I tried to hand Ron's badge to Dumbledore this afternoon but he wouldn't take it."

"That probably means you're both Prefects now," she said absently. They were quiet for a while.

"Was that Luna I saw in the Gryffindor common room?" asked Hermione.

"Yes, I suggested to Ginny she might like to invite Luna," answered Harry. "That was before I found out Dumbledore had sent supplies to all of the common rooms. Still, I'm glad she came."

Hermione was still looking through the drawings when she said, "This one's a perfect likeness. It looks just like you, Harry."

"I thought that was Merlin, actually," said Harry smiling, "Is the green thing the dragon or you?"

Hermione gasped in mock horror.

"You can't go around insulting a prefect, a story telling prefect at that!" she said trying not to laugh. "Besides, you don't want to earn another detention today, do you?"

"Detention? Who gave me detention?"

"I did," she said smiling, "because you were out of bounds today."

"Oh, that," he said dismissively. "Ginny said you'd be mad at me."

"I wasn't mad at you for that. I was glad you were there with us, especially the way things turned out."

"So what were you mad at me about, then?" Harry asked with concern.

"Well, it was just the way you reacted," Hermione said looking down at the drawing. Harry knew that as she wasn't looking at him, she must have been upset.

Harry took her hand and gently asked, "What is it?" At last she looked up.

"When you realised they were coming into the tent, you just ordered us all into position."

"Yes, I'm sorry. There didn't seem time for a debate."

"Of course there wasn't, Harry," said Hermione sounding a little annoyed. "That wasn't the problem. By giving clear directions we all knew what we were doing."

"Er," managed Harry, feeling sure he should have a clue what the problem was by now.

Hermione sighed.

"I was upset that you delegated me to the back with Ron. I know I was scared but I can still-"

"Stop," said Harry seriously. "Please listen. The only reason why I wanted you and Ron to be closest to the children was that if things turned bad you might have had to get them away from there. Of all of us, they knew you and Ron best. They would have trusted you better than any of us. If they had panicked it would have been terrible."

A solitary tear rolled down Hermione's cheek.

"I wasn't trying to protect you. The priority was the children's safety, that's all," whispered Harry, knowing full well if he'd had more time to think about it, he'd still have wanted Hermione out of harm's way.

Hermione buried her face in Harry's shoulder and he held her gently looking out over the moonlit grounds.

After a few minutes, Hermione resurfaced and wiped her face. "I feel so ashamed."

"So are you going to let me off detention?"

She punched him playfully before extending both arms around his neck and resting her head on his shoulder.

"You were amazing today, Hermione," whispered Harry. "Those kids were totally captivated. So was I, actually. How does the story end, by the way?"

"You'll have to risk another detention to find out. My next reading is on Saturday."

"Tease," said Harry and Hermione snorted. "In that case you'll have to tell me just what the historical evidence is for Merlin having scruffy black hair."

"Harry, you need to pay more attention."

"I was paying attention."

"Not now you're not," she said, once again throwing him completely. Hermione just sighed, removed her arms, grabbed his and put them around her waist and returned to her arms to their previous position.

"Oh," was all Harry managed to say.