Unofficial Portkey Archive

Give Up? by dolly_llama
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Give Up?

dolly_llama

CHAPTER THREE

"TALKING" ((THINKING))

((8:05,)) thought Draco. ((She's late.)) He heard a crash from outside, followed by a yelp. ((Ah, the weasel has arrived.))

He pushed open the portrait hole and looked at Ginny. She was bent over, hands on her knees, and breathing hard as if she had been running. ((She better have been running, as she made me wait five minutes,)) he thought. She looked up and he saw that she must have indeed been running, since her face was so red. He stepped aside and she walked in. He gave a small cough and when she looked, he tilted his head to a table and two chairs. They walked over and sat down. Ginny pulled out some paper and two quills from her tattered, second-hand bag and set them on the table.

"I can provide my own," smirked Draco.

Ginny scowled and put the second quill and half of the paper back into her bag. She tapped her wand onto a sheet of paper and words appeared.

"These are the ingredients for the Nocturnal Nectar and all the instructions of how to put them together," Ginny explained, and then added more forcefully, "Do not lose this."

Draco rolled his eyes and took the paper. He knew what most of the ingredients were and knew where to find them. When he looked at the instructions, however, his mouth fell open.

- Boil the pig's blood for three nights, starting on the half moon at 12:10 AM and ending 3 nights later at 12:10 AM.

- Add the eye of newt and stir counter-clockwise 10 times.

- Add the unicorn hair and stir three times clockwise while adding a drop of phoenix tears.

- Let simmer four hours.

And it went on.

"What exactly does this potion do?" Draco scowled.

"Well, the poor soul who drinks this potion will live out his or her true desires in a dream-like state on the first up-coming full moon," the red-head explained. "When they wake up, well you know. They'll have no idea what had happened."

The corners of Draco's mouth twitched upward. "So it's like… Getting drunk?"

Ginny stared at him. "You think it's funny?"

"I think," he said, "it's worthless."

"I'll have you know that this potion helps those who are so ignorant and spoiled that they don't know what they want," she scowled, looking him up and down.

"Yeah, yeah…Let's just get this over with," he sneered.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

On the way back to the common room, Ginny reflected on the events of the night. She was so engrossed with her thoughts that she didn't realize that someone was sitting on the floor, and ended up falling on her face.

"Sorry, Ginny," a squeaky voice said.

She took the hand offered to her and met the eyes of a very sad Neville. "What's the matter?" Ginny asked.

"Well," he stared at his feet, "I forgot the password again."

"It's okay, I'm going to go inside anyways, so…" Neville stepped aside and Ginny said the password, "Llama Feathers."

"Thank you… Again," Neville choked out.

"No problem. Remember, if you need anything, just ask me and I'll see what I can do about it." Ginny answered.

"Thanks, Ginny."

Ginny walked into the common room and took a seat next to a reading Hermione near the blazing fire. Hermione looked up.

"Hey Ginny," she said timidly.

"Don't worry Hermione, I'm not going to slap you," Ginny sighed. Hermione immediately looked embarrassed and shut her book.

"Uh, Ginny," she started. "Look, I'm sorry about Ron… Harry and I told him to leave you alone, but he's just…"

"Ron?" Ginny suggested.

"Yes, he is exactly that," chuckled Hermione. "But really, sorry we didn't stop him from embarrassing you. Well, you taught him his lesson, maybe he will listen to us next time!" she laughed.

Ginny smiled. "Thanks, Hermione. Well, I'm exhausted. Off to bed for me! Good night!"

"Good night, Ginny!" called Hermione as Ginny went up the stairs.

When Ginny reached her room she saw an eagle owl tapping on her window. ((There must be some mistake,)) she thought while opening the window. She knew only rich pure-blooded families owned eagle owls, and while she was pure-blooded, she most certainly wasn't rich. Before she could do anything, the owl dropped a small package at her feet and flew back out the way it came.

"Weasley," the package was marked. ((Well, no mistake, I guess…)) She opened it and gasped. ((One, two, three…)) she counted. ((Thirty galleons! My goodness! Where did they come from?)) Her question was answered when she saw a piece of folded paper at the bottom of the package. She opened it and read:

Weasley,

Here is your payment. Fifteen galleons for each day you tutored me. Meet me tomorrow in my room at 6:30 PM. Don't be late.

Draco Malfoy

Ginny rolled her eyes. ((What a freak.)) Then her eyes drifted back to the thirty galleons. She smiled, scooped them up into her almost empty (but not anymore) money pouch, changed into her pajamas, and climbed into bed. She fell asleep once her head hit the pillow and dreamed of dancing galleons all night.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Draco's owl returned within minutes. "Back already?" Draco walked over to his window. He ran his fingers through its silky feathers. He chuckled to himself as a thought flashed through his mind. ((I bet that little weasel doesn't even know what a galleon is; obviously her family has never had one.)) Draco gave the owl a treat and sent it to the owlery. He brushed his teeth and on the way to bed he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror. Wearing only his boxers, he admired himself. ((I don't know why everyone is always going on about how hot and toned and muscular Potty is,)) he frowned. ((I'm ten times better looking, and more muscular.)) He flexed. "What's cookin', good lookin'?" whistled the mirror. ((You got that right,)) Draco smirked to himself. He covered the mirror with a cloak, and climbed into bed.