Unofficial Portkey Archive

Give Up? by dolly_llama
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Give Up?

dolly_llama

CHAPTER FOUR

"TALKING" ((THINKING))

"Wake up, Ginny! Wake up!!!"

Ginny opened her eyes and saw a frantic-looking Hermione shaking her.

"Wha…What happened?" Ginny yawned.

Hermione shifted from one foot to another and wrung her hands as her eyes darted around the room.

"Hermione?" Ginny stared. She had never thought that cool, collected Hermione would ever act this way. But, when Ginny said her name she seemed to snap back to reality. She sat on the edge of Ginny's bed.

"I've…" she started.

"You've…what?"

"I've been asked to the Valentine's Day Ball!" she shrieked.

"Hermione!" Ginny gasped. "Why that's-"

"By Neville! Neville!" Hermione looked a wreck again.

"Oh," Ginny looked down. Hermione wasn't as fond towards Neville as she was towards Harry. Of course, no one knew that (besides Ginny) and Neville was more a friend than anything else.

"What do I do?" Hermione chocked out.

"Uh, tell him…" Ginny searched for an answer. "Tell him you already have a date!"

"Ginny! He knows I wouldn't have one! I mean, he asked so soon in the year! It's only October!" Hermione cried.

"Tell him Harry already asked you."

"Ginny! I couldn't! He didn't…He wouldn't-"

"I'm positive Harry would be happy to take you."

((Poor Neville,)) Ginny thought. ((Oh, well. I'm sure he will find someone else.)) None the less, it worked out for Harry and Hermione. Ginny knew they liked each other, but both were too shy to admit it to the other. They just needed a push in the right direction, and Ginny's suggestion of them going to the Ball together was quite a shove. ((I have to do everything,)) she rolled her eyes. She looked over to Neville, who was slumped in his chair picking at his pancakes. She sat down next to him.

"Hey Neville," she said sympathetically.

He looked up, "Hey Ginny."

"Look, Neville. I'm sorry about what happened."

"Oh, it's okay," he replied unconvincingly.

"No, it's not," she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I know what it's like to be turned down." She thought about Harry. ((I'm glad that's over.)) Don't worry, you'll find another date in no time!"

"No, I won't…Nobody wants to go to the ball with clumsy, chubby Neville."

Ginny knew that he was feeling horrible, but she really didn't want him to start crying in front of her! She knew that what he was saying was true; nobody wanted to go with him. But, he had seen her when she was invisible. He took her to the Yule Ball! It was time to return the favor. Ginny took a deep breath.

"Neville," she began. "Would you like to attend the Ball with me?"

He stared. "Really?"

"Of course! I would be honored if you would be my date."

"Wow! Thanks, Ginny. Sure, I'll go with you!"

"Great, then. Now we both don't have to worry about that for a couple months!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Draco finished off his pancakes and drank a cup of orange juice in one gulp. He looked around and spotted the wee Weasley talking to that squib, Longbottom. ((Aww, look. Her hand is on his shoulder.)) He smirked. ((Makes sense! Geeks like them gotta stick together!)) he thought as he left the Great Hall to go to his morning classes. When he reached the dungeons for Potions, he noticed Potty, the Weasel, and the Mudblood Know-It-All were already there. He "accidentally" knocked over a vial of Potter's potion onto the floor as he walked by. "Whoops!" he shrugged as Harry glared daggers at him. He walked to his desk and began the class work. ((Potions is boring,)) he thought as he poured purple goo into his cauldron. ((At least tomorrow is Saturday, and it's also Halloween. Thank Merlin I don't have to see the small Weasel on weekends.)) She was already getting on his nerves.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ginny sat in the library, alone at a table. She pretended to read as she held a book in front of her. She skipped lunch because she had too many things running through her mind. She knew exactly why she asked Neville to the dance but didn't want to admit it. Ginny disliked school events requiring a date or shaking your body. She didn't see the point in shaking you booty against other dirty booties. For six whole years she struggled to find dates to these specific events, and always ended up going with Harry, Hermione, and Ron. All three would go to the dance floor to rub against each other and leave poor old Ginny by the punch bowl, surrounded by other dorks who didn't have dates, either. She only had a date to the Yule Ball, and that date was Neville. By asking Neville this time, she bought three whole months of not worrying about whom to ask or bring. Although, the hidden reason why she asked Neville was overall, self-pity. She felt sorry for herself, for she had to ask a boy instead of the other way around. She never got invited by a boy (that is, if you don't count Neville, a dork, Ron, her brother, or Harry, her brother's friend who acted more like a brother than anything else). As these thoughts ran through her mind she got angry all of a sudden. She ran out of the library, mad at her thoughts, and began searching high and low for Neville.

After searching the Gryffindor common room (no luck), she tried to reach everybody in the Great Hall before they left for afternoon classes.

"Harry, Ron, Hermione!" Ginny screamed. All three turned around, mostly terrified of what she'd do next. Ginny ran towards them, and they all stepped back one. Ginny didn't notice this because she was bent over, hands clutching her gut.

"Do you guys know where Neville is?" Ginny managed to say between breaths. Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged looks.

"What are you going to do to him?" asked Ron with a horrified look on his face.

Hermione elbowed him and said, "Didn't he tell you?" Ginny's face remained blank, so she continued, "His grandmother made him come home earlier than expected. He's not here at the moment, but will return after Christmas Break."

"WHAT?! Why? I need to tell him something really important!" Ginny cried.

"Well, you'll have to wait…" All four heads turned around and found Draco leaning against the Great Hall entrance. "Weasel," he smirked.

"Why I oughta…" Ron said through clenched teeth. Harry put a hand on Ron's shoulder to stop him from tackling Draco.

"Calm down, Weasley. I just need to speak with the small one." Draco jerked his head toward Ginny.

"What do you want with her?!" Ron shouted.

"It's none of your business. Now come, weasel." Draco walked toward the entrance and, though reluctant, Ginny followed. Once they got out of earshot, Draco spoke up. "As you know, tomorrow is Halloween, Slytherins' favorite holiday, and they will be out of the common room tonight. I bet you noticed that I didn't give you a note saying where you'll meet me, so I'm saying it now and don't forget it. Meet me in the Slytherin common room at 8:00 PM." He said the last part slowly, like if he said it faster, she wouldn't understand. Before she could answer, Draco left her and headed towards his next class, which he was already late for. Ginny didn't have time to think, because she realized her next class was all the way on the other side of the school. ((Shoot! Professor McGonagall is going to kill me!))

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As Draco headed for Potions class in the dungeons, Pansy Parkinson stepped in front of him. He nearly fell on top of her but pulled himself up in time before any part of his body touched hers. Pansy pouted.

"The annual Pre-Halloween Party is tonight, as you know." She tried to say it as calm as possible, but instead it came out rushed and desperate. "I heard it's going to be the biggest party since the Yule Ball!"

"No, Parkinson. I've said it a million times before," Draco tried to make this as short as possible because he was late to class as it was. "I'll never take you to any party in your life or your after-life. I will not participate in something that requires me to touch you in any way, shape, or form. Now, step aside." Draco tried to get past her, but she blocked his way. Once again, Draco managed to pull himself up, inches away from her large chest. Her face lit up.

"Oh, I see! You won't touch me, but that doesn't mean I can't touch you!" She lifted a perfectly manicured finger and pressed it slightly against his shoulder. He flinched slightly and pushed her finger off roughly.

"DON'T EVER TOUCH ME AGAIN!" Draco barked menacingly, his wand pointed in between her eyes.

"Malfoy. Parkinson." Both heads turned and saw a heated Professor Snape. "You are late. Get inside. NOW!" The professor disappeared into the classroom, and Draco and Pansy followed.

A/N: Well, that was exciting. Was it not? *crickets chirp* Eh heh.. Well, the next chapter is positively giddy! PROMISE! ;) Please R&R!