Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Time of Discovery by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Time of Discovery

H_HrFan

Harry kissed the side of her head and slowly set her back on solid ground. "I'm so glad you came," he said as the last vestiges of fear dissipated and a feeling of completeness overcame him.

Three Little Words

"Me too," she said as she looked up into his eyes. "I almost didn't, you know."

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I know," he replied on a breath. "So where's the list?"

With a sheepish grin, Hermione pulled a sheet of parchment from her pocket and handed it to him. Harry closed his eyes for a moment and shook his head. "I knew it," he said with a laugh. "May I?"

Hermione nodded and Harry watched her as he carefully began to unfold the parchment. When it was opened he looked down and found two columns, just as he'd known he would. He began to read aloud…

Should I?

He asked and I didn't pressure him to

He already bought the ticket

Shouldn't I?

He needs time alone to sort things out

The ticket can be exchanged

Hermione put her hand over his and he stopped reading to look at her. "Harry," she said softly, "there's only one thing that matters." Slowly she withdrew the paper from his hands and turned it over. There on the back were the words he was hoping to find…

I love him

"Harry, I couldn't not come because of that reason right there," she said as she pointed to those three words. "Whether or not you break my heart, I had to take a chance."

"I'll never break your heart, Hermione," he promised as he folded the parchment and put it in his pocket. "Never again."

Hermione placed her hand against his cheek and looked into his eyes. "I know," she whispered. "I know you won't."

Harry closed his eyes and let himself truly feel the touch of her hand against his cheek. He reached up and grasped her hand with his and kissed her palm before he lowered their hands together. He looked around for her luggage and saw only one small bag and a purse. "Is that all you've brought?"

Hermione nodded. "I didn't know how long I'd be staying."

"What did the ticket say?"

"Nothing," she said, "it was one-way."

"Oh, well, I suppose a shopping trip is in order than isn't it? I'm not leaving here until the end of January," he paused for a moment to caress her cheek, "and I had hoped you'd be staying with me."

Hermione wiped a tear from her eye and stepped forward to pull him back into a tight embrace. "Thank you," she whispered against his ear.

Harry shook his head. "No," he replied as he gently held her face in his hands, "I have to thank you. You have no idea how much it means to me that you were willing to take such a risk." He wrapped his arms around her neck and added, "Even if you did scare the hell out of me when you didn't get off that plane."

Hermione pulled out of his embrace and glared at him, her face softening when she saw the teasing light in his eyes. "Now you know that wasn't my fault!" she said with a light smack to his chest. "I got here as quickly as I could."

Harry leaned forward and kissed her forehead. "I'm only teasing. I'm just glad you're here," he said. "Now, let's go home." He bent down and picked up her small suitcase while his other hand held tight to hers. "Are you ready for this?"

Hermione smiled and nodded. "I've never been more ready for anything in my life."

Jim met them at the trunk and they put Hermione's bag into it. She stared at him curiously and Jim smiled when he caught her eye. "No, Miss Granger," he said knowingly. "We've not yet met."

He held out his hand cordially. "I'm Jim."

Hermione took his hand and a warm familiarity filled her. "Hermione," she said airily as she studied him, trying to discern how it was she knew him.

Jim raised her hand and placed a chaste kiss upon it. "Very nice to meet you, Hermione," he said with such an infectious grin that Hermione couldn't resist smiling back.

"I swear I know you," she said contemplatively. "Something about you is very familiar to me."

The twinkle in Jim's eyes grew brighter and he walked around to open the car door for her. He gestured for her to enter and as she slid into the seat he said, "Perhaps it will come to you, Miss…in due time."

"Perhaps," Hermione repeated.

When she was settled into the backseat Jim nodded and closed her door. Harry slid into the seat beside her and immediately grabbed her hand. She jumped slightly when the contact brought her sharply from her reverie. She turned to Harry and smiled. "I can't believe I'm really seeing you," she said softly. "That you're there…I'm here…with you beside me holding my hand. And I can't believe that I can finally do this," she said as she reached up and toyed with his hair. "I've always wanted to do that."

Harry closed his eyes and reveled in the feel of her fingers in his hair. "You have my permission to do that any time you like," he murmured. Slowly he opened his eyes and met Jim's in the rearview mirror. "Looks like we're going" he turned to look at Hermione, "home." His heart swelled as his last word mingled with the image of Hermione at his side. Home is anywhere you are. He smiled at how true those words, written a lifetime ago it seemed, really were.

Jim turned around in his seat and smiled at the couple sitting behind him. "You two are great together," he stated directly. He looked up, his eyes going beyond the roof of the car and up into the heavens. "Just like it's meant to be," he said as though speaking to some entity that neither Harry nor Hermione could see.

Hermione looked questioningly at Harry who shrugged. "Don't know," he mouthed silently.

"Don't mind this old man," Jim said with a laugh. "I wish I could tell you what exactly this moment means. But, alas, that's a talk for another time. I do have a question for you though."

"What's that?"

Jim looked at Hermione, "If you're not too tired, I have a place I'd like to take you before we go back to Bandon. I think you'll like it."

Harry looked at Hermione and she nodded. "No, that's fine," she said. "I don't really want to sleep yet or anything."

"Well all right then," Harry said. "Let's go."

"Very good," Jim replied as he backed out of the parking space and took off in the direction opposite from whence they'd come.

Harry and Hermione sat quietly in the backseat. Harry knew she was tired; it hadn't been that long since he'd taken the same flight and he was familiar with the jet lag. He wrapped his arm around her and when she laid her head on his shoulder he rested his head lightly against hers. His other hand held hers tightly.

Hermione fell into a light sleep as she listened to the beat of Harry's heart. Harry sat in silence, listening to the steady rhythm of her breathing.

Twenty minutes later Harry was looking out the window as the beach and ocean that lay beyond it, came into view. "Hermione," he called quietly. "Hermione, wake up. Look!"

"Hmm?" Hermione hummed. She felt the weight of Harry's arm across her shoulders and she snuggled closer. "What is it?"

Harry pointed out his window. "Look out there," he said. "It's the Pacific Ocean. It's not our beach, but it's beautiful, isn't it?"

Hermione sat up and wiped the sleep from her eyes. "It is, Harry," she exclaimed. "It's just as you described it." She looked up at Jim and asked, "Is this where you're taking us?"

"No, this is just the beach; I'm taking you just a little further up the road. We should be there in less than five minutes."

In no time, a thicket of trees blocked their view of the ocean and Harry pulled her into his arms and against his chest. "Hermione?"

"Hmm?"

Harry closed his eyes and rubbed his cheek across the top of her head and inhaled the scent of her hair. "There are no words."

"I know."

He placed his chin on the top of her head and looked out her window. "But I want so much to tell you."

She sat up and looked directly into his eyes. "Believe me, Harry," she said, her voice soft, yet strong and firm. "I know. I can see it when I look into your eyes, I can feel it in the way you're holding me, and Harry," she placed her hand against his cheek then continued, "I can hear it in the beat of your heart. We don't need words. We never have."

Harry nodded as he grabbed hold of her hand and pulled it down to rest over his heart. "You're right," he agreed. "We've never needed words. But I do need to tell you how much it meant to me to see you standing in that parking lot." He closed his eyes and released a breath. "I thought I was gonna die, Hermione. When you didn't get off that plane, I literally thought my life would end. In just those few minutes, I could feel my world crashing down all around me. Thankfully Jim was of sound mind and he thought to ask about delayed flights. I just…I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't-"

Hermione placed her finger to his lips, "that's why I had to apparate," she stated simply. "You told me not to call, and I…I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I picked up the phone just to slam it back down in frustration. The past couple of weeks must have been hell on you. Why did you ask me not to call? Why did you put yourself through that?"

Harry shrugged, "I'm not sure exactly," he sighed. "I think I just didn't want to influence your decision. I wanted you to decide for yourself whether or not to come. If we would've talked on the phone…" he shrugged again, "I don't know. I just…I don't think that seeing you would've been the same if I'd known for sure that you were coming."

She smirked and raised an eyebrow as if to say, "oh, really?"

Harry laughed as he placed his hand against her cheek. "I'm not saying it would've been bad," he said in own defense. "Only, different somehow. But still…" his voice trailed away as he started to lean toward her, slowly closing the distance between them.

Before his lips touched hers he felt the car come to a stop and he looked up just as Jim handed an attendant money and took his entrance pass in exchange. He placed it in the window and then drove down the long, circular parking lot until he stopped a short distance from a small building with brilliant white columns and an open sign in the window.

"Where are we?" Harry asked as Jim was climbing out of the car.

"Shore Acres." Jim closed his door and then moved to open Hermione's before speaking again. "Beyond that building are some of the most beautiful gardens you'll find anywhere in these parts. Flowers bloom here year round." He stepped aside as Hermione climbed out, followed closely by Harry. Jim shut the door and locked the car before leading the way toward the gift shop and the gardens beyond. Just before they got to the garden entrance he turned to them and asked, "Are you ready for this?"

Harry and Hermione looked at Jim with nearly identical expressions on their faces. Harry shrugged and answered for both of them. "I suppose so," he said with a tiny drop of apprehension.

With a sweeping gesture Jim ushered them through the gate. Hermione took a few steps and then stopped as she took in the sight before her. "It's beautiful," she breathed, her voice no louder than a whisper. She turned to find Harry staring out at the gardens with an expression she was sure reflected her own. She reached for his hand and interlaced her fingers with his.

Harry gave her hand a squeeze and smiled down at her. "Very beautiful," he said as he reached up to smooth a loose strand of hair, tucking it behind her ear. "I've never seen anything more beautiful in my life."

Hermione felt the heat rising in her cheeks. "I'm talking about the gardens."

Harry looked out at the gardens, then returned his gaze to her and shrugged, "oh, yeah," he said with a casual air, "those are nice too."

Hermione laughed and tugged on his arm. "Come on, you," she said as she pulled him forward, "let's go look around."

"Oh, Harry," Jim called from behind them. Harry and Hermione stopped walking and turned to look at him. "If you follow the path straight back, you'll come to a lily pond. I prefer to call it a reflecting pool, myself, but that's neither here nor there now, is it?" He shook his head to dispel his random thoughts before continuing, "Anyway, some people like to toss in a penny to make a wish, others just prefer to stop and enjoy the view, and then others take a moment to pause for quiet reflection. You should make a point to see it…it truly is a sight."

Hermione's eyes lit up at the prospect of making a wish and she nodded, "oh, yes," she said excitedly, "we will definitely be going there." She looked from Jim to Harry, "but first I'd like to walk around and look at the flowers, if that's all right."

Harry and Jim both nodded. "Let's go then," Harry said as he squeezed her hand and playfully pulled her along.

Jim stood back and watched them go. He closed his eyes and turned his face heavenward and set his thoughts sailing. They're beautiful, honey, just like you thought they'd be. It's the way it was always meant to be.

"I hope that you agree," he whispered as his lips curved into a soft, tender smile.

As Harry and Hermione roamed the paths around the gardens, Jim made his way to the reflecting pool. He looked down upon the water and was instantly mesmerized by the sight of the sky's own blue reflecting off its surface. He could see the color of nearly every leaf and the mirrored images of the cast-iron flamingoes which would forever stand as sentinels and protectors of their domain. The vibrant shades of color in the flowers and trees were as beautiful in their reflection as when he looked at them directly.

A reflection pool, a true reflection pool, will often cause a man to take a step back to think and reflect upon the paths he'd chosen to get to where he is. No two men are affected in the same way when they stand before a true reflecting pool. Some will take only the briefest of moments to reflect upon life, others may take no time at all, and still others could sit for hours doing nothing but pondering life's mysteries.

The moment Jim saw the pool he knew that he would be in the latter category of men. So many things had gotten him to this point, and so many things were about to change…ever so slowly, he felt his heart begin to break. In a dreamlike state, he walked the dirt path that surrounded the pool, stopping only when he reached the opposite side where he sat upon an isolated bench. Before he allowed his thoughts to stray he paused for a moment to close his eyes and listen to the sounds of the great Pacific as wave after wave besieged her shores before retreating back into the haven of the sea. He took a few deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling slowly so as to free his mind of everyday constraints. Now was the time for reflection and the floodgates to his memories opened as his thoughts went to his daughter, his son-in-law, his grandson, and his purpose here on earth.

"Daddy, will you do it?" the normally fiery redhead asked as she paced back and forth anxiously.

"Of course I will, sweetheart. I'd be honored. But are you sure you want…me?" he gulped and thought momentarily of how much he sounded like a toad when his final word escaped as a croak.

"There's no one better, daddy. This is a chance for you to be a part of his life…a real part. You'll be closer to him than any one. You understand how important this is, don't you?" her brilliant emerald eyes pierced through him and her quivering voice was breaking his heart as she pleaded with him.

"Yes, Lily, I understand. I just," his voice faltered as the weight of what she'd said finally sunk in…there's no one better…you'll be closer to him than anyone. He looked at her, his own vulnerability and cursed lack of faith in himself showing clearly through his stare. "I just…I don't know anything about magic."

Lily put her hand on his arm and gave it a gentle squeeze. "We'll be here," she said softly. "This is your chance to fly, daddy. It's your chance to be free…" she dropped her head, "if only for a little while."

He took a deep breath and stood up tall. "Tell me what I need to do."

Jim smiled at the memory. "Has it really been only seven years?" he mused. "Sometimes it feels like it's been so much longer, and now-" He paused his meandering thoughts when he heard the familiar laughter of his grandson. He's been through so much and yet, he shook his head, still such a capacity for love. He brushed away a tear as he watched Hermione close her eyes and make a wish before flipping a coin into the reflecting pool.

"What did you wish for?" Harry asked.

Hermione turned to him and smiled, "I can't tell you, or it'll never come true," she replied adamantly.

From where Jim sat across the pond, he could clearly see the gleam in Hermione's eyes and he once again smiled as he silently bore witness to Harry's greatest happiness…and to new, young love.

Hermione's eyes met Harry's as he raised his hands to cup the line of her jaw, his eyes held hers as he slid them around to the back of her head and pulled her closer. "Was it this?" he asked as ever-so-slowly his lips descended upon hers.

The moment his lips touched hers every question, every hesitation, every lingering doubt faded into a chasm of nothingness. Hermione wrapped her arms around him as her pulse raced and the butterflies in her stomach chased each other in maddeningly tight circles. In that infinitesimal space of time, she wondered if she might float away so she held on tighter. The kiss was a sweet, innocent, fleeting moment that would be forever burned into their hearts and minds.

When they broke apart Hermione dropped her head to his shoulder and breathed deeply as she tried to clear her mind and regain her self-control. Nothing she could remember in life even remotely compared to the way his lips felt against hers.

Harry's heart continued to race as he held her in his arms. He'd kissed other girls, but none had the power over him that Hermione seemed to possess. Nothing he'd ever done before felt as right as this one brief moment in time. He closed his eyes and the words `I love you' filled his mind. "Hermione, I-"

Just as he began to speak Hermione straightened and put a finger to his lips. "Shh," she whispered. "Listen."

Harry closed his mouth and his eyes and listened. "Sounds like the ocean," he said after a minute's silence. He looked down at Hermione and where his hands rested on her shoulders. Her eyes were closed as she stepped forward to bridge the distance between them.

"It's like music," she whispered. "We could dance to this, Harry." Slowly she began to sway her hips back and forth. Without realizing it, Harry followed her lead.

When conscious thought caught up with his reaction he stopped and stood frozen. It was then that he felt Hermione's laughter as it pinged off every bone in his body. The feel of her shaking in his arms brought a smile of contentment to his face. "I can't believe you did that," he said against her ear.

"I can't believe you fell for it," she retorted with a laugh. "We could dance to this!" she repeated mockingly. "How much cornier can you get?"

Harry's cheeks turned a rosy shade of pink as he cocked an eyebrow. "Want to play silly games, do you?"

Hermione's eyes widened in feigned fear, the smile never leaving her face. She took a step backward and dropped her hands from his waist. "Who's playing games?" she asked with all the wide-eyed innocence she could muster. "Not me, I can assure you."

"Then I guess you have nothing to worry about do you, Miss Granger?" Harry said as he took a step toward her.

Hermione took another step back and in a flash she turned and ran the other way with Harry right on her heels.

Jim sat on his bench listening to Harry and Hermione's playful antics. He could hear their laughter ringing through the air and for the first time in seven years, he was at peace. He placed his elbows on his knees and dropped his head into his hands.

"This is your chance to fly, daddy," Lily said excitedly. "She's been chosen."

"She? What?" he asked, shaking his head in confusion. "Who's been chosen?"

"Harry's owl. She's been chosen. It's time for you to go. Are you ready?"

"I don't know much about your magic, Lily," he said softly. "I won't pretend that I'm not scared."

Lily wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly. "You know enough now, daddy. You can do this. We'll be here to guide you. You won't be alone. You'll be provided with unlimited resources to secure your place as a Muggle should the time arise for you to take on your true form. Everything will come to you with the ease of a man who has lived the life that you create. You will know places without ever having been there. It shall be provided and you will be magnificent."

He nodded and kissed his daughter's cheek. When he stepped from her embrace he turned to face James. "Jim," he said as he looked into his son-in-law's eyes. "Someday, when the time is right, I'll be Jim."

James stepped forward and hugged his father-in-law. "Thank you," he whispered as a single tear slid slowly down his cheek. "We'll be here for you…always."

"I know," he said as he stepped back. He looked from Lily to James and smiled tenderly. "Thank you for…for trusting me."

"Daddy," Lily breathed. "I not only trust you…I envy you. I wish it could be me." She turned around and let the tears fall from her eyes. "To be that close-"

He put his hand on her shoulder and squeezed it comfortingly. "I wish it could be that way, too," he said. "Harry needs you."

"We're too close to him Lily, you know that," James said as he pulled his wife into his arms. "Do you really think you would be content to just sit back and watch as he struggles and fights for his survival?"

Lily shook her head. "No," she whispered hoarsely. "No, I couldn't. I'd tell him the truth and I'd pull him into my arms and I'd tell him how sorry I am that I cursed him with this half-life." She looked up at James, her eyes filled with sorrow and regret. "This is my fault, James," she said fiercely. "Mine!"

"It'll be all right, Lily," James cajoled. "This is the one thing we can do for him from where we are. The road Harry's traveling won't be easy but dad will be there. And through him, so will we." He stepped out from her embrace and held her face in his hands. "In a matter of minutes, your father's soul will transcend both time and space. He will be there in times when Harry feels he has no one else. Every time he feels alone he will remember that he has at least one companion, one friend who will never turn her back on him. Once your father's soul joins that of Harry's owl, Harry will never again feel that sharp pang of loneliness he's felt up until now. He will guide our son through all his trials and tribulations. Through him, Harry will always have a part of you…of us, with him. And someday, when the time is right, if Harry needs him, he will guide him toward love."

Lily closed her eyes and nuzzled James' hand. "I know, honey," she said softly. "I have faith. I just can't help but to wish things were different." She looked up into his eyes and held his loving gaze. "Do you know how many times I've questioned my actions of that night? How many times the scene has played out in my head? As much as our son is hurting, I know that if I had it all to do over, I wouldn't change a thing." She shrugged and lowered her gaze, her fists clenching in a moment of righteous anger, "With the exception of making Peter our Secret Keeper, of course!" she cried. She took a deep breath and turned to look at her father. "Are you ready?"

He nodded solemnly as he took Lily's hand in his. "I can't believe I'm able to do this," he said incredulously. "I'm a Muggle, Lily. It all seems so surreal."

"It's real, daddy," she said as another tear fell. "And it's time."

Just as he finished saying his goodbyes `Jim' felt a spiraling sensation as he descended upon the earth and became one with Harry's owl.

When he reached his destination he could feel the beat of Hedwig's heart. He could see through her eyes, he could feel Harry's gentle touch as he pet her, and he could hear the tenderness in his voice each time he spoke. In that first instant, that first second of life, he thought he might not make it. As he looked through Hedwig's eyes into the face of his grandson he nearly betrayed those who had sent him, just to have the chance to hold him…just to tell him how remarkable a child he really was. The chance to tell him how his mother and father continued to look down upon him and how truly blessed he really was…despite the many challenges he had yet to face.

Jim heard the rustling of the leaves in the trees around him. The sounds of footsteps awakened him from his reverie and he wiped his eyes before he looked up to find a concerned Harry staring back at him. In that moment he wished for another year, a month, a week, a day, hour, or minute…any amount of additional time that fate would allot him. Now that Harry had united with Hermione, his need for a constant companion had diminished and Jim's time was rapidly nearing its end.

"Jim, are you all right?" Harry asked as he knelt down beside him.

Jim put his hand on Harry's head and slid it slowly down the side of his face until it landed on his shoulder. "I'm good, Harry," he said in what he hoped to be a reassuring voice. "There's another place I'd like to show you when you're ready to leave," he added as he stood, with Harry rising to stand beside him.

Harry turned to look at Hermione. "Are you ready?"

"Whenever you are."

"You're sure you're all right?" he asked Jim again.

"Fine, Harry, I'm fine. Don't worry about me," Jim replied. "You just hold tight to that young lady…" he looked at Hermione and smiled, "and don't ever let her go." He patted Harry on the shoulder. "I told you you're a lucky man, didn't I?" he said with a wink at Hermione.

"That you did," Harry said with a laugh. He turned to Hermione and smiled as he held out his hand. "And yes I am."

Jim glanced from one to the other. "All right then, if you're ready-"

When they nodded, Jim took a step to the left and led them across an old wooden bridge that crossed the narrower end of the reflecting pool. As they stepped off the bridge he pointed to a gate on the left. "If you want, we can go through there. There are trails there that will lead you to the ocean. Or, we can go where I plan to take you, where the view is much more spectacular."

"Let's go," Harry said. "We can always come back another time to check out the gates and secret places."

As they walked toward the path that would take them through the middle of the gardens Hermione stopped. "That would be a great place to get married, don't you think?" she said as she pointed to the Pavilion on their right.

Concrete steps centered with blankets of grass led up to white columns and a large, modern roof designed to minimize the effects of nature's harsher elements. "Yes," Harry nodded, "it would be a great place."

"If you listen even for a moment, you can hear the sound of the ocean." She looked at him, her face no longer smiling or teasing, her eyes suddenly clouded over with emotion.

As he studied her, Harry could see the 11-year-old girl who had always hidden behind her books, behind something solid, tangible. He felt at much as saw, her fear and apprehension as he gazed into her eyes. He pulled her into his arms to offer reassurance and to let her know he understood. "It sort of catches you off guard," he said of the ocean. "You don't hear it or you tune it out and then suddenly it surprises you and your head is filled with the sound of waves crashing into and over each other and birds crying out. It really is musical if you take the time to listen, isn't it?"

Hermione gazed at him for a moment before dropping her head to his shoulder. She wrapped her arms around his waist as she moved to stand beside him. "This time alone has changed you, Harry," she said as they began to walk.

"In a good way, I hope."

Hermione tightened her hold on him and rested her head in the crook of his arm. No more words were spoken. She knew Harry would understand her meaning without having to give voice to her thoughts.

When they reached the gift shop, Hermione stopped and let Harry go. "I'll be right back," she said quickly. "I just need to get something."

The two men stood and watched her enter the shop. A few minutes later she came out with a small, thin bag in her hand. "What'd you get?" Harry asked as they began to walk again.

Hermione's cheeks reddened as she pulled her purchase from the bag and held it out to him. "Postcards, huh? Oh, the reflecting pool," he said, smiling at the memory they'd created there. He looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "Our first kiss."

Hermione nodded and Harry went to the second postcard. "The Pavilion? Is that really where you want to-"

Hermione shook her head. "No, Harry," she said assuredly. "It's not where I want to get married. But it is the first time I've ever looked at something and thought about the very real prospect of marrying some day. I want to hold on to that memory."

Harry nodded and looked at the other two, more generic, postcards. "One for mum and dad and one for Ron," she said as she watched the question of why pass through his eyes.

"Perfect," he said as he handed them back to her. She put them into the bag and then looked questioningly at the back of Jim's head when they passed by the car.

"Weren't you taking us somewhere else?" Hermione asked.

When Jim turned around and smiled, Harry noticed that much of the light had gone from his normally twinkling eyes. "Are you quite sure you're all right?" he asked him again.

"I told you, Harry," Jim replied, "there's no reason to worry about me. I am taking you someplace else, but it's within walking distance of the gardens. In fact, it's just up there," he said as he gestured toward a small building up ahead.

When they reached the observatory, they walked inside. All along the inner walls were pictures and stories depicting life in the early years of Coos Bay. There were pictures of the first houses that were built on what was now Shore Acres. Beneath them, were the names of the families, the prices they paid for land, and their family's commodity…most were in the lumber industry. Hermione was fascinated by the rich history they so proudly displayed.

"Come on," Harry said after they'd spent a few minutes inside. "Let's walk out there." He pointed out beyond the large bay windows to a stone wall. Together they walked out of the building and toward the concrete barrier. A breeze had picked up and Hermione's hair flew wild about her head and she began to laugh as she tried to hold it down. She stood before the wall and an odd feeling of contentment filled her as she looked out upon the great expanse of the Pacific Ocean.

Jim stood in the observatory, looking out the large windows, watching the young couple he'd been praying would someday find love in one another. He looked back into his more recent vault of memories and pictured clearly the day he'd asked a random stranger to take a letter from a young girl and place it into a mail slot. Love, he told her, was on the line. The mere mention of the word love combined with the forlorn look Hermione had borne that day was all the incentive the woman needed to follow through on his request. And Jim had breathed a sigh of relief as he continued to watch a dazed Hermione slowly walk away.

It hadn't been too much later that he found himself on a Trans-Atlantic flight on his way to Bandon. By then he'd been back and forth so he was already aware of the amount of time involved in the travel. He knew it would be his last flight, and in so many ways, it had made him feel both anxious and elated. That flight meant that his time on earth was nearly complete and while he was happy that Harry would find love, he was saddened by the prospect of leaving.

Below Harry and Hermione waves crashed, one after another, upon the vulnerable, powerless rocks. The sound of laughter reached their ears and they turned together in the direction of the noise. Across the way people were laughing and seemingly brushing away something from their skin. Hermione continued to watch them, wondering what it was that could make them laugh so boisterously.

The sound of laughter had brought Jim from his vault of memories and he followed their gaze to the ledge where the laughing party stood. Neither Harry nor Hermione heard Jim approach them until he laughed. They turned around as the sound hit their ears. "If you stand on that ledge where those people are, and the waves are strong," Jim said with a nod in the general direction of which they'd been staring, "the spray of the water will reach you up there when it crashes against the rocks. Today is a good day for it."

Just as he finished speaking a huge wave crashed against the rocks below the laughing party and the water shot up, showering them with its spray. "Wow!" Hermione said in awe. "Imagine how powerful those waves must be."

Harry walked up behind Hermione and kissed the top of her head as he wrapped his arms around her. "Are you ready to go home?" he asked softly against her ear.

A shiver ran down her spine and she nodded.

"You're ready to go?" Jim asked. Both Harry and Hermione nodded and they walked quickly back to the car.

When they settled into the car Hermione pulled the postcards from the bag and read the description of the pictures that was written on the back of each one. "Oh," she gasped. She held the postcard out to Harry as a single tear rolled down her cheek. "I hadn't connected it before," she said as she wiped it away.

Harry took the card from her and looked at it. Hermione's hand flew to her mouth as she watched him. She was silent until she could see that recognition had dawned on him. "Ironic, isn't it?" she said in a soft, muffled voice.

Harry glanced up at her and smiled. "That's one word for it," he said.

"Our first kiss, Harry," Hermione said in that same soft voice. "And it happened at the Lily Pond. I know you believe in magic. But how much stock do you put into signs? Could this be your mum's way of saying she's happy for us?"

"I don't question anything anymore, Hermione," Harry replied. He placed his fingers to her chin before splaying them on her neck, just below her ear. "You're my miracle. My angel. My life. Of course she approves." He pulled her close and his lips descended upon hers once more. When they broke the kiss Harry leaned his forehead against hers. "You and Hedwig are the only two people…well, beings, in my life that I've been able to count on regardless of the circumstances. There's no way she could not approve."

Hermione raised her chin and kissed him again. "Thank you," she whispered.

Harry put his arm around her and she once again rested her head against his chest and fell into a light sleep as he drew small, lazy circles on her arm. He closed his eyes and let the feel of her beside him lull him into a comfortable rest of his own.

It seemed like an eternity later when Harry felt the car come to a stop and heard Jim cut the engine. "Home, sleepyheads," Jim said with a laugh.

Harry turned and kissed Hermione's head. "Hermione, wake up," he said as he shook her gently. "Hermione! Hermione, wake up. We're home."

"Home?" she murmured sleepily.

Harry pushed her gently into a sitting position and maneuvered her head until she was looking at him. "You're so beautiful," he said softly.

Hermione shook her head and raised her sleepy eyes to his. "Only to you, Harry," she replied. "No one else has ever seen me as anything more than a know-it-all bookworm with frizzy hair and bad teeth."

"You got those teeth fixed," Harry laughed. "And besides, I never thought of you as anything of the sort. You've always been beautiful to me."

Hermione's cheeks reddened and she dipped her head. She looked up suddenly, "Wait!" she said excitedly. "Did you say we're home?"

Harry laughed. "Yeah, we're home. Are you ready to see the place that will be your home for the next five months?"

Hermione's eyes lit up as she unbuckled her seat belt and craned her neck to look out the window. Jim was standing at her door, prepared to open it the moment either of them showed signs of being ready to exit. She reached for the handle and Jim swung open the door. Hermione quickly climbed out and began to turn in slow circles, taking in the view around her. "It's so beautiful," she said as she turned to face the house.

Harry climbed out of the car and went to pay Jim for his services. "Never mind that, Harry," Jim said. "You keep your money this time. Doing this for you, seeing how happy you are," he turned his head to look at Hermione who was staring in awe at the house she'd be living in with Harry, "how happy she is," he added with a chuckle. "It's the most worthwhile trip I've had in years."

"If you're sure," Harry said with that same note of concern he'd been using with Jim throughout the afternoon. Jim nodded his affirmation and Harry put his money away. "I wonder, though, if you might do me just one more favor before you go."

"Anything, Harry. You name it."

Harry pulled the house keys from his pocket and handed them to Jim, a sure sign that Harry held the utmost trust in him. "I wonder if you might take Hermione's things into the house. Just drop them in the living room, and then, if you could, unlock the back door for me and leave the keys on the counter. You're more than welcome to stay," he added quickly. "Just make yourself at home if you'd like."

Jim looked down at the keys in his hand then tossed them in the air and caught them when they came back down. "It's time for me to go, Harry," he said solemnly. Harry's eyes beseeched his. "I'll take Hermione's bag into the house, unlock your door and leave your keys upon the counter. But after that, I really must leave."

"Why do I get the feeling I might not see you again?" Harry asked.

"In due time you will, son," Jim said, his voice hoarse as he fought valiantly to fight back the urge to cry. "You take care of her…and you." He looked around the corner of the house and then pointed. "Now go on, show your young lady your ocean. Don't concern yourself with me. Whatever happens, I'll be all right." He looked directly into Harry's eyes. "And from now on, so will you."

Before Jim's words and demeanor could fully register with Harry, Jim pulled him into a tight embrace; the kind he'd wanted to do the first time he'd seen Harry seven short years ago. Harry stood, his back rigid, as he tried to discern where the show of emotion had come from. A moment later it dawned on him that this really was a goodbye and he returned the hug with equal ferocity.

Although he had only known Jim a short time, Harry somehow felt as though he was losing more than just a newfound friend. There was something so familiar about the man that a part of Harry wanted to hang on tight and never let him go. With crystal clear clarity, Harry heard his mother's voice telling him that the time had come to let go…and with great reluctance, he listened.

There were tears in Jim's eyes as he backed away from Harry. "I'm sorry," he said as his eyes slowly rose to meet the young man's piercing stare. "I don't…I'm not sure what came over me."

"Tell me what's happening," Harry said, his voice nervous yet demanding.

Jim shook his head. "Take your lady to the beach, Harry. The sun will be setting soon. You don't want her to miss her first sunset, do you?" He closed the distance between himself and Harry and placed his hand on Harry's arm. "I've asked you not to worry about me, son. Now please, take Hermione to the beach. Sit on a rock, run in the sand, leave behind your footprints and let the world know where your love story truly began. It will be all right, Harry. I'll not be far."

Harry wanted to protest, he wanted to understand…he needed to understand. This was so much more than two new friends deciding to go their separate ways. This was something Harry felt deep within his heart…a kinship, a relationship that bordered on love and mutual respect. He opened his mouth to voice his objection just as Jim looked to Hermione, who had been studying him through narrowed eyes. Harry looked from one to the other, wondering if somehow Hermione had felt that same connection.

Hermione placed her hand on Jim's arm and looked deeply into his pale green eyes and for a moment, Jim wondered if she might see the truth in him. "Thank you for being here…for all you've done. I promise I'll take good care of him," she said before she fully understood her own words. Jim placed a hand over hers and nodded his thanks. With a shared look of understanding she moved to stand beside Harry, and then laced her arm through his. "Come on, Harry," she said in a voice that brooked no argument. "Show me the beach."

Harry cast a final glance at Jim before leading Hermione around the house and to the beach. The moment he rounded the corner he blinked his eyes and suddenly his mind was clear and all thoughts of Jim had vanished. He grabbed Hermione's hand and began to run toward the shoreline, laughing in such a carefree way that Hermione had to stop running just so she could listen. Harry ran ahead of her a ways and then turned around. The smile on his face touched her heart and for a moment she couldn't move. "Come on," Harry laughed. "You can't be tired yet, we're almost there."

Hermione nodded her head and swallowed hard to fight impending tears. Harry ran on ahead and when she felt some semblance of normalcy return, she slipped off her shoes and dropped her coat to run after him.

Jim stood at the corner of the house, watching them as silent tears began to fall. Harry had survived the war, had proven victorious and now…and now, he had love. Never again would they worry that Harry might be lonely. As Jim watched them, he knew far beyond any shadow of doubt, that Harry and Hermione would be together forever…however long that may be.

He once again faced the heavens. "No more worries, Lily," he whispered to his daughter. "Harry has never been happier…and I'm coming home."

He looked around him one final time and whispered his goodbyes. In a flash of light, a snowy white owl appeared. Through Hedwig's eyes, Jim looked one final time at his grandson and his soon-to-be granddaughter. His final thought before he felt his soul take flight was a message to Harry and Hermione…I love you. Be happy and take care of each other always. And then he was gone, leaving a small piece of himself behind in the heart of Harry's beloved owl.

On the beach Hermione ran straight into Harry's arms and he swung her around in one sweeping circle before lowering her to the ground. His hands moved to cup her face and he looked lovingly into her eyes when he spoke the words she'd waited a lifetime to hear, "I love you, Hermione."

She smiled up at him. "That was my wish," she happily admitted.

Harry shook his head. "But that was inevitable," he stated without hesitation.

"I'd hoped it was," she said as she took his hands in hers and lowered them to her hips so she could wrap her arms around his neck. "But there was really only one way to be sure." She rose up on her toes and pulled him down to meet her half way. "I love you, too," she whispered against his lips. In that, their third kiss, all barriers shattered as each tried to impart how much they truly loved the other.

When their kiss ended Hermione wrapped her arms around him, pulled him close, and whispered, "Welcome home, Harry."

A/N: I am marking this story complete, but I may, in fact, do an epilogue. I'm not sure at the moment, though, I'm still in the debating stage.

Also, I want to thank all of you for reading my bit of drabble…my thanks and gratitude goes out most especially to those who were kind enough to leave me reviews. Whether it was one chapter or many, your words of encouragement have kept me writing.

Thanks!

Terri

[H_HrFan]


-->