Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Always Wanted by Searcy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Always Wanted

Searcy

What I Always Wanted

Chapter 28: What He Always Wanted

Harry hadn't really known what to expect when Hermione finally went into labor. He'd expected there to a fair amount of discomfort on her part, she was after all giving birth. He'd been warned by the Weasley men that during labor Hermione was likely to say one or two things out of character but he hadn't been prepared for anything at all like this.

"BLOODY FUCKING HELL!"

Hermione's shouted words seemed to echo about the room. She leaning forward with her knees bent, and spread apart; she was sweating profusely, her dark brown curls were drenched and plastered to her forehead and neck. Her breaths were coming out in sharp, short pants through her gritted teeth. Her left arm was wound around Harry's, her nails digging doggedly into his forearm and her right hand was firmly clasped in Harry's as well. A grunt of pain slipped through Hermione's lips as Isolde called out.

"Very good Hermione, very good, now breath, that's it breath."

Hermione collapsed back into Harry's chest her head lolled over onto his right shoulder and resumed the pattern of taking deep calming breaths from the diaphragm. The breaths were choppier and more ragged than they had been before. Harry gently squeezed Hermione's right hand in his own and whispered.

"Just hang in there love, you're doing beautifully, we're almost there."

He felt her body tense and heard her click of her teeth as she clapped them together as another contraction rocked her body. Harry noted that the contractions were coming much closer now. Hermione grunted and through gritted teeth tersely rejoined with.

"We're almost there… exactly how the hell has this turned into we when I'm the one doing all the damn work!"

Before he could offer any sort of reply Hermione let out a cry and reared up from her reclining position. Isolde's voice drifted back up to them, the commanding authority had returned.

"Hermione I need you to stay with me now and bear down and push as hard as you can."

Catching Harry's eye Isolde spoke to him directly and said.

"Keep her as steady and calm as you can."

Harry nodded his head as he arranged himself so that he was bearing the full weight of Hermione's body. He lowered his lips to her temple and softly kissed it. He felt her nails as they dug deeper in his skin as she began to push as Isolde was instructing her to do. The contractions were coming in rapid succession now. If Isolde's commands of "push Hermione push" and the cries and grunts issuing forth from Hermione were any indication the arrival of their child was indeed close at hand. Harry bent his lips to Hermione's ear and said.

"You're almost there love…"

The rest of his sentence was overridden by Hermione's groans and shouts.

"HARRY JAMES POTTER, YOU BASTARD, YOU ILLEGITIMATE SPAWN OF A MOUNTAIN TROLL… IF YOU EVER COME NEAR ME AGAIN I SWEAR TO MERLIN I'LL SEND YOU AND YOUR BLOODY BOLLOCKS THE WAY OF VOLDEMORT… UNNNH!"

Harry had barely processed what his wife had said to him when he heard the most wondrous sound… the sound of a baby's cry. The whole world seemed to stop and tilt at the utterance of that sound. Harry was attempting to peer over Hermione's raised knees to get a glimpse of their child when Hermione once again leaned forward a grunt ripping pass her lips. Isolde quickly handed the baby off to Paige and turned back to Hermione, who was tightly gripping Harry's hands and arms again, he called out to Isolde asking her what was wrong but she had disappeared between the space created by Hermione's spread legs, Hermione was grunting again and then there was that wondrous sound again… the sound of a baby crying but this one was different than before. He was brought back from his musings by the exhausted whisper of his name as Hermione fell back limply in his arms.

"Harry is… is… the baby alright?"

Hermione's query was answered by Isolde.

"Better than alright Hermione, your son and your daughter are perfect… absolutely perfect."

"Wha… what?"

Isolde smiled at Harry's wide-eyed spluttering face and said.

"I said your son and your daughter are perfect… and the most beautiful pair of twins I've seen and I've seen quite a few."

Harry stared stupidly back at Isolde and muttered.

"Twins, we've got twins!"

Isolde's smile widened as she nodded. For the second time in the space of five minutes Hermione's voice pulled Harry from his own thoughts.

"Can I see them?"

Isolde's smile softened as she turned and patted Hermione's hand gently.

"Of course they're just getting smartened up a bit for you."

Just then Paige and Healer Ashburn appeared each carrying a blanketed bundle. Harry adjusted Hermione so that she was sitting up as Paige laid a blue bundle in the crook of Hermione's arm and then turned to retrieve the pink bundle from Healer Ashburn which she laid in the crook of Hermione's left arm and whispered.

"They're beautiful Hermione!"

Hermione looked down and gasped as she looked between the two babies held lovingly in her arms. Her voice was clogged with tears when she spoke.

"Oh Harry, they're gorgeous."

Harry laid his head alongside Hermione's and with a nod replied.

"They get that from their mum."

Turning slightly he placed a gentle kiss to Hermione's temple. Hermione smiled and angling her head pressed a kiss to Harry's throat before turning her gaze back to her son and daughter.

With a weary smile she leaned forward placed a kiss first to her son's forehead and then to her daughter's and said.

"Hello James Sirius and Lily Carys Potter, welcome to the world my little loves, welcome to the world."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione awoke with a start, sitting bolt upright in bed. And then she felt Harry's arms encircling her, drawing her close.

"It's alright Hermione you're with me, you're safe, everything's alright."

Hermione allowed the tension in her body to ease away as she settled back into Harry's arms. She had just settled in to the bend of his arm when she realized that she was lying comfortably against his side, her massively expanding middle normally did not allow this. Hermione made to sit up again but was stopped by Harry's firm hold as he added.

"James and Lily are fine."

Hermione turned her head so that she was looking up at Harry; he nodded towards the bassinette sitting beside the bed. Hermione peered over and expelled the breath she'd been holding at the sight of her peacefully sleeping children. Harry smiled and gently tugged Hermione back down onto the bed. Once they were comfortably settled she asked.

"What time is it? How long have I been asleep?"

Harry rubbed her back gently.

"It's just gone three, and as it was about nine or so that these two arrived I'd guess you've been out for about five or six hours give or take."

Hermione gasped.

"Five or six hours… but how could I have… oh no, the babies… they haven't been fed… I…"

Harry interjected.

"Hermione calm down, they've been fed and changed…"

This time it was Hermione who interjected as she asked.

"How… who…"

Harry pressed a kiss to his wife's forehead as he cut across her litany of one word questions and said.

"You dropped off shortly after meeting the newest Potters, I was a bit panicked when it happened actually I thought something had gone wrong but Isolde and Paige assured me that you were just knackered. They checked you and the babies thoroughly and administered the necessary potions and draughts."

Sensing the tension returning to her body Harry hastily amended his last statement.

"On account of you having been away… Meagan and Paige were a bit concerned about how well nourished you might have been so they thought it best to give the lot of you a nourishing draught. They also gave you and Isolde a general healing potion and a bit of a calming draught."

Anticipating Hermione's next question he said.

"Isolde is fine. She's up in one of the private rooms, more at Agamemnous' insistence than anything else."

Feeling Hermione nod he went on.

"When time came to feed them Molly and Helen were more than willing to do the job but I felt that one of their parents should have that honor, so with the help of a couple of spells I managed to hold both of them while getting them fed."

Hermione smiled into the darkness.

"Really?"

Harry nodded.

"Not bad for… what was it… the bastard illegitimate spawn of a mountain troll?"

Hermione flushed.

"Oh Harry I'm so sorry… I didn't mean it… it was the pain, it was so…"

Hermione's words were cut off by Harry's laughter and the tender kiss he placed upon her lips. As Harry drew away Hermione noticed the sudden seriousness of his expression. He lightly caressed her cheek as he spoke in a whisper.

"I very nearly lost you… when she pointed that wand at you and said those words…"

Hermione pressed her fingers to Harry's lips to shush him.

"Let's not think on it. It's over now and we're here and we're safe and let's not think on it anymore… we've far more pleasant things to dwell on."

Hermione's words were punctuated by the sound of a tiny yawn. Looking over in the bassinette at the side of the bed Harry and Hermione saw two sets of dark green eyes staring up at them. Smiling Harry said.

"Look who's awake."

He helped Hermione into a sitting position before reaching into the bassinette and handing Lily to her mother then scooping James into his own arms he sat down beside his wife and wrapped his free arm around Hermione's waist. Harry planted a soft kiss to Hermione's check and murmured.

"Thank you."

Raising an eyebrow in query, Hermione asked.

"What was that for?"

Harry laid his forehead against Hermione's and replied.

"For loving being you, for being here, for loving me, for James and Lily, for giving me the family I've always wanted."

Hermione smiled in return as she leaned forward and kissed him soundly.