Unofficial Portkey Archive

What I Always Wanted by Searcy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What I Always Wanted

Searcy

What I Always Wanted

Chapter 6: Dreams

"Higher Daddy higher!"

The green-eyed boy with the mop of messy brown hair squealed with delight as he felt the broom beneath him rise higher into the air. The wind whipped around him and the air became cooler the higher they rose. An ecstatic smile lit up the little boy's face as he and his father startled a flock of birds as they raced over the treetops that dotted the meadow of the back garden. The broom arced swiftly upward and then turned suddenly to the right, the young passenger let out a whoop of joy and his smile grew wider. With an identically ecstatic smile covering his face Harry, like his son, let out a whoop of happiness before letting go of the broom and calling out.

"Alright Jamey, you steer."

At the sound of his father's voice five-year-old Jamey Potter grasped the broom handle in his small hands and set off at Thestral-like speed. Though he was a bit wobbly at first, the reassuring sound of his father's voice whispering a pointer or two about how to properly handle a broom set him straight quickly enough. As Jamey raced back and forth across the meadow Harry cheered his son on as loudly and exuberantly as he had been cheered. Just as Jamey was passing over the two-story cottage that the Potter family called home the back door opened and an unmistakable shriek permeated the air.

"Jamey!"

Harry chuckled as he once again took control of the broom and whispered to his son as he angled the broom towards the ground that he reckoned they might be in a spot of trouble. With a somewhat guilty grin Jamey nodded his head in agreement with his father's pronouncement as they coasted to the ground. Harry nimbly hopped off his beloved Firebolt with Jamey in tow. Hermione rushed over to the pair and in a Molly Weasleyesque manner round on them in full flow.

"Harry James Potter what in the name of Merlin do you think you're doing! Flying at breakneck speed around the grounds and letting Jamey steer no less! You know he's too young to handle a broom!"

Before Harry could fashion an answer the singsong voice of he and Hermione's two-year-old daughter Lily rang out.

"Fly with Daddy!"

Looking at his ebony haired browned eyed angel Harry reached out and plucking her from her mother's arms asked.

"Does Daddy's best girl want to go flying too?"

Lily clapped and nodded happily at the suggestion of going on her father's broom. Harry grinned broadly as he said.

"Off we go then!"

With a mischievous grin Harry turned and started back for his broom, Hermione reached over his shoulder and retrieved her daughter before Harry had scarcely made a step.

"You're not seriously thinking of taking Lily up there are you?!"

Harry smiled as he answered by saying.

"Well she wants to go Hermione…you heard her ask me yourself. She said fly with Daddy."

As if on que Lily began squealing and clapping as she chanted `Fly, Fly, Fly'. Harry continued on.

"It wouldn't be fair for me to take Jamey up and not Lily now would it…"

Jamey inserted himself into the conversation between his parents ending the rest of his father's statement by asking a question.

"Daddy, are you going to let Lily steer too?"

Harry nodded.

"Of course."

At Harry's words Hermione's eyes widened then narrowed as she knitted her brow in a thoroughly annoyed fashion. Seeing the slightly menacing look that was burgeoning on his wife's face Harry replied in his most repentant voice.

"Love I was only joking."

Hermione eyed him sternly as she replied.

"Too right you are you're only joking."

Harry walked over to his wife and pressed a kiss to her cheek. A small smile appeared at the corners of Hermione's mouth as she turned to face her husband and kissed him full on the lips. Stepping back Hermione looked seriously up at Harry and said.

"I suppose its useless to ask you not to take Jamey up but will you at least wait until Lily's a bit older before you go zooming about with her on that blasted broom."

Considering the fact that he'd never been able to lie to Hermione's face and the additional matter of his having been taking both Jamey and Lily up on his broom since they were old enough to sit upright by themselves Harry avoiding making a promise he could keep by changing the direction of the discussion a bit.

"It's a mystery to me why you keep fighting the inevitable love…Jamey and Lily are Potters…and all Potters love to fly."

Hermione chewed her bottom lip for a moment before responding.

"Is that so…I'm fighting a losing battle because all Potters love flying."

Harry nodded and smiled. Hermione smiled too as she hastily said.

"I'm a Potter and I don't like flying so all hope is not lost."

That said Hermione turned and sauntered back to the back door. Harry watched for a few moments as she disappeared inside before turning back to Jamey and saying.

"Come on we've got a bit of daylight left let's not waste it."

Laughing loudly the pair raced back towards the waiting Firebolt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry was awakened by feel of soft kisses and warm gentle hands caressing his bare chest. A sleepy smile graced his face as he opened his eyes and turned his head towards the source of the attention. It seemed that the absence of the children had sparked Hermione's more amorous side. Harry spoke teasingly.

"If you're employing your womanly wiles to get me up and out of bed be forewarned that if you keep doing what you're doing I'll get up but neither of us will be getting out of this bed."

Hermione crawled slowly up the length of Harry's body and placed a kiss on his chin as she impishly replied.

"Who says I wanted you out of bed."

Harry wrapped his arms around Hermione before capturing her mouth in a long and languid kiss. As they broke apart Hermione smiled seductively before she slithered back down the length of Harry's body. His eyes widened in surprise then drifted shut as he felt the warmth of Hermione's mouth enveloping him. Slumping back against the pillows Harry sucked in a ragged breath as he caught a glimpse of Hermione's blissful expression as she sucked his stiffening member into her mouth. Harry moaned low in his throat as Hermione's tongue swirled up, down and all around him, creating the most pleasurable sensations. For several long wonderful minutes Hermione licked and sucked Harry eliciting a bevy of pleased moans and grunts until he was rigid and pulsing with desire. She then crawled up his prone form and lowered herself onto his hardness. What ensued was the most satisfying wake up call Harry ever had the good fortune to receive.

Swathed in the lovely warmth of Hermione, listening to her moans and sighs of desire as she rhythmically ground her hips against his as he thrust his throbbing manhood inside her Harry watched Hermione intently. He loved seeing the pleasure he was causing her written all over her face. As she leaned forward to increase the lovely sensations shooting through her body Harry reared up and caught one of her plump nipples in his mouth. Hermione cried out in a frenzy of passion as Harry suckled her highly sensitive breasts and gripped her hips as he feverishly pumped his rigid shaft inside her welcoming heat until she fell over the edge shouting his name. He followed not shortly after grunting out incomprehensible words of lust and love.

as they lay basking in the afterglow of their morning activities Harry turned his head to the side looked down at Hermione and with a smile asked.

"Not that I'm complaining mind you but what was that about?"

Harry's eyes darted briefly to his semi-erect penis. Upon seeing his expression Hermione broke into another one of those impishly sexy grins of hers as she replied.

"Do I need a reason?"

Harry shook his head.

"No you don't need a reason I just wanted to know whether it was some specific thing I'd done that'd triggered it so I can make certain to do it again."

Laughing Hermione reared up and captured Harry's lips in a soft tender kiss, gliding her tongue inside his mouth to intertwine with his. Harry felt himself pulse and stiffen a bit more as he tasted himself on Hermione's lips. Pulling away from the kiss Hermione said mischievously.

"The house was quiet and I was simply overcome by a sudden craving to have my way with you."

The thought that Hermione had been craving him was enough to send another round of pulsing throbs through his shaft causing it to harden even more. He pulled Hermione into his arms and said.

"Bloody hell woman you keep talking like that and you won't be getting out of this bed for a fortnight."

Hermione smiled as she quickly kissed Harry's cheek and retorted by saying.

"As lovely as that sounds I'll have to take a rain check…we're due at my parents' for brunch and to pick up Jamey and Lily, if we overindulge we'll be late."

Having said that Hermione slipped out of Harry's arms and padded across the room to the bath. Harry sighed and lacing his hands behind his head fell back against the pillows. He heard the sound of water following from the tap in the shower. His mind drifted to an image of Hermione naked with rivulets of water cascading down her body, her own hands caressing her most intimate places. As the image took hold Harry briefly wondered what his in-laws would make of their tardiness, it wouldn't take much for them to suss out what they'd been up to. Even so it wasn't everyday that he and Hermione had the house to themselves, surely Robert and Helen would understand that. Yes the more he thought on it he was sure that Robert and Helen wouldn't mind a bit more time to spoil their grandchildren. Smiling and humming to himself Harry sat up and practically leapt out of bed as he made his way to the bath and Hermione.

0x01 graphic

Harry awoke with a bemused expression marring his countenance. Rubbing his eyes to rid them of the last vestiges of his sleep Harry sat up in bed and leaned his back against the headboard. Over the span of his lifetime Harry had had many dreams about his parents. Often during the night images of his parents and Sirius crept into his mind. Some of the things he saw in his dreams he reckoned were actual memories of his childhood, like the image of his mother singing to him as she bathed him in the kitchen sink, and the vision of his father bouncing him up and down on his knee as his mother sat nearby folding the wash. There was even one dream in which a crawling Harry was rolling about the floor with his father and Sirius and his father while his mother and Remus looked on with amusement. Though he had no proof that any of those things had actually taken place Harry liked to think those events had really happened. They were his confirmation that he had once belonged to a genuine family of his very own. Over the years Harry had had a great many dreams about the family he'd had but he'd never dared to allow himself to dream of the family he wanted to have…that was until now.

Harry closed his eyes and allowed the images from the dream he'd just awoken from to replay in his mind. The black roofed, slate gray two-story country cottage with its expanse of rolling green meadows swam to the forefront of his mind. He remembered the vision he had of his son a small knobby-kneed five year old with his mother's brown hair and his father's green eyes that sparkled with the light of a happiness and love. He thought of the way he'd pictured his daughter, the adorable cherub-like face, the ebony curls and the mischievous clear brown eyes. And he thought of Hermione and how right it seemed that she be the woman who he pledged his heart to, the woman who would bear his children, the woman who would share his life.

For a moment Harry attempted to rationalize the new thoughts and feelings coursing through him. Naturally he was having these sorts of thoughts…a scant seven or eight hours before he'd found out he was about to be a father. And as it was Hermione who was carrying his yet to be born offspring it made sense that he'd see her as his wife when he imagined what his family would be like. As soon as he had logically sorted himself out that it occurred to him that in those rare moments when he slipped and let himself think of the life he truly wanted, it had always been the same. Jamey and Lily's appearances had always been more or less the same, sometimes they'd swap hair color but little else was different. And his nameless faceless better half had always had distinctly Hermione-like mannerisms and actions. The only difference between his old dreams and this new one was that it was now evident that the woman he'd been seeing in his mind all that time had been right in front of his face…it had been Hermione all along, even when he was with Ginny it had been Hermione.

As Harry sat in bed absorbing the full impact of his newfound revelation the bed dipped a bit as Hermione rolled over and cuddle up beside him. Harry smiled as he looked down at the woman he loved. It only took his seeing her sleeping peacefully beside him to know that he wanted to wake up to that sight everyday for eternity. Carefully so as not to disturb her Harry quietly crept out of bed and silently padded to the loo.

0x01 graphic

Soft kisses and the gentle whispering of her name awakened Hermione. A smile crossed her features as she lay there remembering the events of the preceding day. Harry had returned home unannounced and she'd told him about the baby and much to her relief he was happy. She'd been so convinced that Harry would be unhappy about the pregnancy that she'd never given any thought to the idea that he may actually be happy about the whole thing. Upon finding out that Harry was in fact keen on the idea of being a father Hermione had been so relieved that she'd thrown herself into Harry's arms and all but ripped his clothes off his body. Harry wouldn't actually touch her until he was thoroughly convinced that the baby wasn't at risk. But once he was convinced things had taken a very pleasurable turn.

Hermione's smile grew wider as she remembered their lovemaking from the previous day. Her overly sensitized system had made their usual escapades all the more enjoyable. The mere thought of Harry's hands caressing her more pronounced curves, and the orgasmic bliss the feel of his tongue gliding over her nipples caused Hermione to flush and bite down on her bottom lip stifling a moan. Seeing the expression on her face Harry asked.

"Hermione what are you thinking about?"

Blushing to the roots of her hair Hermione replied in a stammer.

"I…I…I was…ju…just…thinking about last night."

Catching sight of Hermione's erect nipples imprinted against the sheet that was covering her nude body Harry smiled and said.

"Looks like you were doing more than thinking."

Hermione blushed crimson. Harry smiled as he stretched out beside Hermione on the bed and pulling her into his arms kissed her slowly and passionately. When the kiss ended both Harry and Hermione were slightly breathless. Hermione snuggled close to Harry and laid her head against his chest. It was then that she realized that Harry was dressed for the day. Checking the time she saw that it was just gone eight. Knowing that Harry was not a morning person and never got out of bed at such an early hour without a good reason Hermione inquired.

"You're up and about rather early…I thought you didn't have to report to work today."

Harry looked down at the sweatshirt and jeans he was wearing and replied.

"I don't. I just had some errands to run."

Hermione frowned. What kind of errands could Harry possibly have to run before eight in the morning? Harry watched the quizzical furrowing of Hermione's brow. No doubt she was trying to figure out where he'd been and what he'd been up to. Harry smiled excitedly to himself as he set about clearing up Hermione's confusion. Shifting so that he could see directly into Hermione's eyes Harry spoke.

"Hermione, I've got something I'd like to show you."

Hermione looked up and met Harry's gaze as she responded.

"Alright what is it?"

Hermione made as if to sit up as she concurrently looked about to see what it was that he wanted to show her. Seeing her movements Harry called out.

"No Hermione I meant I wanted to show you something in here."

As he spoke Harry tapped his temple so that Hermione would catch on to what he intended. Hermione nodded her head in understanding when she realized that Harry meant to use Legilimency. During what would have been their seventh and final year at Hogwarts Hermione had succeeded in doing what Snape had failed at miserably during their fifth year…teaching Harry the fine arts of Legilimency and Occulumency. She'd thought the talent may come in handy as she was certain Voldemort would attempt to exploit his connection to Harry being that Dumbledore was dead and Harry was no longer safely ensconced behind the battlements of Hogwarts. Armed with several books on the subject and a determination that only Hermione could muster she managed to teach not only herself and Harry how to insinuate themselves into others thoughts and repel them but Ron as well. The skill had served them well during their hunt for the horcruxes. The threesome also found that it came in handy when they wanted to talk amongst themselves with others being privy. Now it seemed it Harry needed her to see something that could only be seen through Legilimency. Curious as to what he could possibly want her to see Hermione took a deep breath to steady herself.

Harry looked at Hermione and asked.

"Ready?"

Holding his gaze Hermione nodded. Suddenly she was hit with an onslaught of images. At first the images were all familiar episodes from her friendship with Harry. There was the incident with the troll, their flight on Buckbeak to free Sirius, the Department of Mysteries, the hunt for the horcruxes and Voldemort's defeat. The images changed then to more recent times. Their first official date, their long walks in the park, their first kiss, dinner with Ron and Luna, the first time they'd made love.

The pictures changed again, however this set of images she had never seen they included: a slate gray country cottage, rolling emerald green meadows, Harry whizzing by on his Firebolt, a brown-haired, green-eyed little boy and a little girl with deep brown eyes and jet black curls. There were images of Harry and her with the two small children, giving them baths, reading bedtime stories, having dinner and picnics by the lake at Hogwarts. She saw herself making cookies, hanging up Harry's freshly laundered auror's robes and drifting off to sleep each night in his arms. Then just as quickly as the images flooded her brain they stopped. Hermione closed her eyes for a moment to fully take in everything she'd just seen. Just as she opened her eyes and was about to ask Harry what the last set of images were about when he spoke.

"I've been having those dreams for awhile…since before the war ended actually. When I'd let myself imagine what my life would be like if I survived Voldemort and had the chance at a normal life."

Harry paused for a beat before continuing.

"The dreams were always the same…I'd see myself with a home and a family, a real family of my own. And though I could clearly see the house we'd live in and the life we'd have; I could see my unborn children's faces, tell you their names and their favorite foods, the picture was never complete because I could never see her face…the woman who made it all possible. She was always there in the background completing the picture but I was never able to see her. I could hear her laughter, feel her touch, I could even see her smile but I could never put a face to go along with it all. And no matter who I was seeing at the time none of them ever fit into the vision in my dreams."

Harry paused again briefly and took Hermione's hand in his own.

"I could never see her face until today. Because today I realized why I was able to see that smile, feel that touch and hear that laugh…I finally understood why no one ever could come close to being the woman of my dreams. It was because she wasn't a dream; she was real and had been right there beside me the whole time. That woman is you Hermione…and I think its high time we stopped living the life we were meant to live in dreams."

Hermione opened her mouth to ask Harry what he was saying but instead of words coming out in its place she gasped as her gaze fell upon a sparkling emerald-cut diamond with two emerald-cut sapphire side stones set in a platinum band. Tears shimmered in her eyes as Harry said.

"Marry me Hermione, make my dreams come."

Though her response was muffled by the tears choking her voice and the force with which she kissed his there was no doubt in Harry's mind that the answer was a resounding yes.

0x01 graphic

Harry and Hermione arrived at the Burrow just past two o'clock on Sunday. Harry had received an owl from Ron saying that the entire clan of redheads was getting together for dinner. He knew that Hermione usually reserved weekends to spend with her parents. The Grangers were especially fond of having Sunday brunch together but seeing as how Harry had been away for two weeks and Hermione had been likewise unavailable Molly was starting to worry. So Ron had owled to let them know about the family plans and to suggest that they pop in for just a moment to say hello if could manage to fit it into their schedules. As a trip to the Burrow was already planned for the day Harry and Hermione were more than happy to oblige Ron's request.

The smiling couple walked into the lounge of the Burrow and was instantly set upon by Molly who pulled them into a joint bear hug.

"Oh Harry and Hermione its so good to see you both. I had no idea you were coming!"

Hermione and Harry each pressed a kiss to Molly's cheeks as she looked back over her shoulder and called out.

"Ginny set two more places Harry and Hermione are here!"

Harry grinned heartily as he said.

"Ron owled us about today's get together. And seeing that everyone was planning to be here and we have a bit of news to share we thought we'd pop in for a bit."

Molly's eyes widened as she asked.

"News, what news?"

Harry grinned a little wider as he replied.

"Oh its nothing that can't keep until after dinner."

Molly narrowed her eyes and looked from Harry to Hermione. She couldn't remember the last time she she'd seen Harry grinning so much and Hermione was positively glowing. Molly guessed that whatever news the young couple had to share was big and she wasn't about to wait until after dinner to hear it. Planting her fists firmly on her hips Molly said.

"Out with it. Exactly what have you two gotten up two?"

With a devilish smile swathing his face Harry answered back evenly.

"Nothing you'd disapprove of Molly I assure you and as I said before this news can keep until after dinner. That way we'll all be together and everyone can hear it at once."

Whipping her wand out of her apron pocket Molly performed a complicated series of rapid swishes and suddenly the entire Weasley family was standing about the living room. Will, Christian, Adam, Perceus and Fredericka who'd been in the back garden chasing gnomes looked around completely bewildered as to how they had ended up inside. Luna, Penelope and Fleur looked as confused as the children wondering how they had come to be in the lounge instead of in the kitchen making tarts for afters. Paige, Charlie, Percy, Angelina, Alicia, Bill, Ron, Arthur and Ginny who was holding two place settings of dishes in her hands; had likewise been taken from various pursuits all looked around wonderingly at why they had been summoned. Fred and George who had apparently been in the midst of some mischief were the only ones who didn't seem the least bit out of sorts by the abrupt summons. Once everyone was assembled around them Molly said.

"Everyone's here…now then, what's this news you and Hermione have to share?"

Harry took Hermione's hand in his own and smiling his biggest smile yet said.

"Allow me to introduce to you for the first time my lovely wife, Mrs. Hermione Jane Potter."

Harry held out Hermione's left hand allowed the room to get a look at the beautiful diamond and sapphire engagement ring and matching wedding band. Everyone stared at Hermione's hand in stunned silence processing this completely unexpected development when suddenly there was a thunderous crash. Startled, the assemblage turned to see the source of the disturbance. Percy let out a gasp and dropping to the floor cried out.

"Dear Merlin, Ginny's fainted dead away!"

A/N: I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get this chapter up but as real life took over. I started a new job and time just got away from me. Hopefully things have calmed down enough so that I can carry on uninterrupted. Hope it was enjoyable. Can't wait to read your reviews!


-->