Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 1 by spacegal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 1

spacegal

A/N - is it just me or am I finding something to talk about? Anyway, I'm trying to make Ron loveable, as much he is a background character, he will be mostly in the front line at the moment and I'm trying not to make him like Ron is in the book so don't worry too much. (I never said I was going to have Ron bashing!)

Chapter 7: Christmas, Mirror, Quidditch and Trouble.

"Merry Christmas!" a female voice exclaimed as the bed started bouncing. Startled, Harry jerked himself out of his sleep and looked up through blurry eyes to see blurry black hair flying everywhere.

"Mia, quit bouncing!" he moaned as he turned in his bed.

"Harry, it's Christmas, meaning presents," Mia reminded in a singsong voice and Harry sat up.

"Already?" Harry demanded and Mia laughed as she dropped down onto the bed before lifting her wand and aimed it at Ron.

"Yes," Mia told him as Harry pulled on his glasses in time to see Mia send a cold stream of water on Ron's face, causing him to bolt up in bed.

"What the bloody hell?" Ron demanded as he looked at Mia.

"I tried to wake you for a least half an hour now. It's Christmas and there's presents calling our names," Mia informed while Ron grumbled under his breath and wiped his face.

"You are insane," Ron informed her as he grabbed his robes and pulled them. He slipped out of bed with Harry following a suit.

"I'm a girl," Mia told him and Ron laughed.

"You got that right," Ron shot back, causing Harry to laugh in agreement as they all walked down the stairs to the Common Room where the presents were waiting for them.

Harry, Ron, Mia, Percy and the Twins were the only Gryffindor who were still at Hogwarts for Christmas. Her parents had summoned Hermione home because they wanted to spend time with their daughter. Draco had been told to come home by his father. Sirius was currently working on something and had told the kids it wasn't a good time and to stay at Hogwarts for the holidays. The Weasleys' parents were in Romania, visiting Ron's older brother Charlie.

"Nice of your mum to make us jumpers," Mia stated as she pulled out a black jumper and smiled. "At least she didn't make it pink," she told Harry, who shook his head, amused.

"How do you mean?" Ron asked, curious and Harry turned to face him.

"We have this old lady as a neighbours, she keeps knitting Mia pink jumpers because she is a girl," Harry explained and Ron winced.

"Man, I hate it when people do that, blue for a boy, pink for a girl," he told them and Harry nodded.

"This lady in a shop told me that I had to wear blue because I was a boy!" Harry explained and Ron shook his head.

"Bloody mental the lot of them," Ron stated and looked at Mia, wide eyed when she coughed. "Although some of them are quite sane when you think about it," Ron amended and Mia nodded before turning back to her presents while Harry covered his hands to hold back his laughter.

Harry turned back to his present and found one that didn't have a card with it.

"Hm, that's weird," Harry stated as he picked the parcel up, causing Mia and Ron to look at him.

"How do you mean?" Ron asked.

"I have a present that doesn't have the giver's name," Harry explained as he unwrapped the parcel. A soft cloak fell out onto his lap, and Ron and Mia's eyes grew wide. They looked at each other before looking at Harry.

"Is that what I think it is?" Mia asked Ron, who nodded.

"I think so but if it is, how the hell did anyone get it? It's extremely rare," Ron reminded and Mia shrugged.

"What are you two talking about?" Harry asked as he looked back and forth between them.

"Put it on," Mia urged. Harry just shot her a puzzled look before standing up and wrapping the cloak around his shoulders, covering his body. It was when he looked down that he saw his body was gone.

"An invisibility cloak!" Harry exclaimed as Mia and Ron stood up.

"What does the note say?" Mia asked and Harry picked it up.

"Your father left this in my possession, use it well," Harry recited before looking up at them. "So, it belonged to my dad."

"Do you realise what this could mean?" Mia asked and they looked at her. "We can cause havoc and no one will be able to pin it on us!" she exclaimed, excitement clear in her eyes and voice when they heard an intake of gasps.

They turned around to see Fred and George Weasley, Ron's twin brothers standing there behind them as they looked at Mia with an unreadable look on their faces.

"A girl after our own heart!" Fred gasped as he and George covered their hearts with their hands. "May the gods be praised." Ron rolled his eyes in amusement as Mia just stared at the twins like they had lost their minds before Fred swooped her up into his arms and slung her over his shoulder, causing her to squeal. "Come my brothers, we must celebrate!" Fred stated to George, who stood up straight and saluted with the most serious expression he could muster before leading the way out of the Common Room, leaving Ron and Harry stifling their laughers.

"Oh, they're in for it now," Harry told Ron, who nodded in agreement.

"But you have to admit, they are funny," Ron told him and Harry agreed as they chased after the brothers while Mia was banging her hands on Fred's back.

"Put me down you idiot!" Mia scolded. "I have legs and I have been walking on my own for a long time!"

"Sorry, can't do that," George told her; still leading the way and Mia rolled her eyes.

"What do you mean you can't do that? It's easy and simple. Place me on the ground and I'll use my legs to walk," Mia told them.

"But those feet of yours are not going to touch the ground. A goddess like you should be carried," Fred stated, causing Ron and Harry to stifle their laughers at Mia's annoyed look as she fought to get her feet back on the ground, not that it was easy.

They finally arrived at the Great Hall where the twins placed Mia on the bench and took up their seat on the other side of her, leaving her glaring at them as Ron and Harry too their seat just as the teachers came out.

"Merry Christmas!" Dumbledore greeted as he walked over to the Head Table with the teachers following him. Everyone cheered back before turning back to his or her food.

"What are you doing this summer?" Fred asked Harry and Mia.

"Don't know yet, it depends on dad," Mia told them. "Probably just relaxing."

"That's pretty cool but isn't it hard to relax knowing that the ministry wants your dad?" George asked.

"No," Harry told them and they looked at him, causing him to give them a sly smile. "It's fun hiding and seeing the ministry run after their tail," Harry explained and the twins laughed.

"Gotta agree with you there," Ron agreed.

"I wonder why Fudge hasn't come down here and started fussing over you yet," George stated.

"Probably because Dumbledore won't let him," Ron piped up and they looked at him. "Dad sent me a letter. It turned out that Fudge wanted to come down and see Harry and basically demand answers from him but Dumbledore said no because they didn't want to scare Harry off," Ron explained and Mia shook her head.

"More like they're scared that Harry won't answer them," Mia told them and Ron nodded.

"Yeah, but you know what these people are like," Ron told them and got nods in reply.

"I trust you five are behaving yourself," a stern voice spoke up and they turned to see Percy standing there.

"Yes, we're behaving ourselves," Ron told them and the twins snorted.

"As if. We're having too much fun having the time of our life. You should try it Perc, might give you a jolt," Fred told him.

"And give you the wake up too," George piped up.

"To get that stick out of your butt," they both finished. Ron, Mia and Harry all looked away, alternative between biting their lips and biting their fists to keep their laughter low. Percy glowered at the twins before stalking off, leaving them alone.

The twins turned back to face the trio with a satisfied grin on their faces.

"Man, how you guys do that, I don't know," Mia stated. "But I'm impressed."

"They've always been able to do that. Drives mom up the wall," Ron told her and the twins bowed slightly.

"We aim to please," they both stated and Harry cracked up laughing.

"You two are priceless, that's what you are," Harry told them. They finished their dinner with Ron and the twins telling Harry and Mia everything the twins had done over the years, making Harry and Mia laugh even harder than the last time.

Soon dinner was over. Harry, Ron and Mia decided to go and visit Hagrid for Christmas. They left the Great Hall; unaware that Dumbledore was watching their every move.

They caught up with Hagrid halfway down to the giant's hut. Hagrid was dragging a tree behind him.

"Merry Christmas!" he exclaimed when he saw them. "Just bringing up another tree, as Dumbledore needed another one," he explained.

"Merry Christmas," the trio replied.

"Hey Hagrid!" Harry greeted as he, Ron and Mia moved over to the large man. "Do you know anything about that dog that Hogwarts is keeping?" Hagrid's eyes narrowed as he looked at the kids.

"How do you know about Fluffy?" Hagrid demanded.

"Fluffy?" Mia asked, sceptically, arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah, Fluffy. He's mine. I bought him a while ago and gave him to Dumbledore to protect the…" he trailed off as the kids looked up at him, eagerly and he stopped. "Nothing that has anything to do with you," he informed them.

"But Snape is trying to get past him!" Ron exclaimed and Hagrid sighed.

"Snape is one of the teacher protecting the object!" Hagrid exclaimed and the kids looked at each other as Hagrid groaned.

"Protecting what?" Harry asked and Hagrid glowered at the kids.

"That's none of your business, that's between Professor Dumbledore and Nicolas Flamel!" with that he walked off while Harry stood still.

"I know that name!" he exclaimed as he ran his right hand through his hair, causing Ron and Mia sighed as they made their way back to the castle. "But from where?" he pondered.

"Maybe Hermione will know. You should write to her," Ron suggested and Harry nodded as they stepped into the castle.

Harry was lying on his bed a few hours later. He had written to Hermione and updated her on everything and she wrote back saying that could be information on Flamel in a certain book. The problem was, it was in the restricted section of the library and he needed a signed note from a teacher to get the book.

Harry turned on his back and caught his invisibility cloak hanging on the chair and the note. The moonlight shone on the words 'Just In Case' very clearly.

Harry made his way into the library; he looked around to make sure that there was no one to see him before he hurried over to the forbidden restricted section. He opened the door and slipped in before he hurried over to the shelves of books. He looked around for the book that Hermione had wanted him to look at and pulled it down, and opened it only for a face to shoot up and started screaming.

Startled, Harry slammed the book shut and shoved it back into it's original place when he heard a noise.

"Sniff around my sweet. They're around somewhere," Filch voice floated around the library, causing Harry to closed his eyes in annoyance.

"Damn it," he muttered before he grabbed his lantern and blew it out. He wrapped the cloak around his body and slid the lantern under it before he snuck out of the restricted section, shutting the door behind him. Then Harry snuck around the shelves, watching as Filch made his way toward the restriction section.

Harry made his way round the shelves and hurried out of the library before anyone would notice that he was there. He was about to head over to the Gryffindor floor when Quirrell and Snape came out of nowhere and Harry watched as Snape pinned Quirrell against the stonewall.

Confused, Harry stopped in his track and watched the scene. The only time he saw Snape and Quirrell have any conversation together was at the Welcoming Feast at the beginning of the year. Snape was about to say something when he spun around and looked in Harry's direction, causing Harry to walk backward. Before Snape could discover him, he made way through the first door he found.

Harry shut the door and threw down the cloak and set the lantern to the side, breathing heavily. He didn't get the book that Hermione had wanted him to read and now he saw Quirrell and Snape together. Everything was making him confused - the break in of Gringotts, and the stone. The three headed dog and the forbidding corridor. The anonymous present and the mysterious Flamel - he knew the name, he just couldn't place it. Not to mention the weird feeling he got when he was around Hermione all the time.

He turned around and saw a long mirror standing in front of him. He moved over to it only to stop when he saw himself in the mirror but he also saw his parents.

Lily Potter stood there, her long red hair was curled slightly around her face, her green eyes, the same as Harry's, were bright with happiness as she smiled. James Potter looked like Harry down to the messy hair except he had brown eyes as he also smiled.

"Mum? Dad?" Harry whispered and there was a dark shadow behind Harry before it came clearer. It was an older looking of Mia except she had long blonde hair. Harry felt his heart clench when he understood whom it was. "Aunt Callie?" he whispered. She smiled down at him. He lifted up a hand and reached out to the touch the mirror when a voice came.

"I see you found the Mirror of Erised," a male voice stated, stopping Harry from touching the mirror.

Harry spun around to see Dumbledore standing there.

"I didn't know that what it was called sir," Harry replied before turning back to the mirror. "It shows me my parents and Aunt Callie."

"The mirror does that," Dumbledore told him. "What do you think it does?" the headmaster asked and Harry examined the mirror before looking at him. "You know, the happiest man could look in this mirror and see only himself."

"Desire, it shows our desire, like my desire to know my parents who I have never gotten the chance to know and my aunt. I desire to know them because even though Uncle Sirius tells us about them and shows us photographs, it's not the same thing. It's all second hand and I've always wondered what it would have been like if my parents had survived and what kind of future we could have," Harry answered. "The happiest man who is content with everything he has and doesn't desire for anything more will only see himself."

"Well done Harry," Dumbledore told him, his blue eyes twinkling madly before it dimmed. "But I must ask you not to seek this mirror out again. It will be moved to a new home. Believe me when I say that people have gone mad before this mirror before you," Dumbledore explained.

Harry agreed as he grabbed his cloak and lantern before leaving the room with Dumbledore, leaving the Mirror behind. As he made his way over to the Gryffindor common room, he told himself not to tell anyone about the mirror.

Christmas was over and Hogwarts was full of kids as they all came back for second term. Hermione had been upset that Harry couldn't get the book due to Filch nearly catching him had decided to peruse another course of action.

Harry, Ron, and Mia were sitting in the library, sitting around the table, working on their homework. Hermione strode over to them, carrying a large book and slammed it onto the table, catching Harry's hand.

Harry winced as he pulled his fingers from under the book and slipped down onto the lap as he used the other hand to cover it, biting his bottom lip as he did so.

Mia watched the exchanged and winced before shaking her head and turned back to Hermione.

"So, what got you all worked up that you came running over here and slamming that book on the table?" she asked and Hermione rolled her eyes as she sat down next to Harry.

"I took this book out for a bit of light reading," she flipped through the pages while Ron arched an eyebrow.

"That's light reading?" he asked and Mia nodded.

"Oh yeah, you be surprise what people consider as heavy reading," Mia told him. Ron shook his head, amazed, before turning back to Hermione.

"I had you looking in the wrong place!" Hermione told Harry, who looked at her.

"You mean Flamel?" he asked and Hermione nodded as she turned to the page.

"Nicolas Flamel is the creator of the Philosopher's stone, the only stone that can turn any metal into pure gold. It also produced the Elixir of Life, making the drinker immortal. Mr. Flamel has recently celebrated his six hundred and sixty five birthday last year with his wife," Hermione recited.

"Pure gold?" Harry quoted.

"Immortal?" Ron demanded.

"665 years old?" Mia exclaimed and Hermione nodded.

"That's what was taken from the vault in Gringotts, that's what Fluffy is guarding, that's what Snape is after," Hermione stated and Harry shook his head.

"No wonder Snape is after it, Voldemort wouldn't have to worry about anything again," Harry told them and they sighed as they sat back in their chair, digesting the information they had just received.

Hermione made her way into the Common Room when she saw people surrounding the notice board. Curious, she moved closer and read the new notice only for her face to pale.

"Oh boy," Hermione moaned slightly as she looked at the notice only for her eyes to widen when she saw Mia, Harry and Ron walk over. She stepped in front of the notice so they wouldn't see it.

"Hey, what's up?" Harry asked with a smile and Hermione smiled back.

"Nothing much," she told them. "How about we get a start on our homework?" she asked, rambling slightly, causing Ron to arch an eyebrow as he reached over and placed a hand on Hermione's forehead.

"Are you okay? You seem a little nervous," Ron told her and Hermione nodded like mad.

"Everything's fine," she told him and Harry nodded before he reached out and gently moved Hermione to the side so he could see what she was blocking only to pale when he saw it.

"Snape's refereeing the match," Harry stated, causing Mia and Ron to look at the note.

"Why?" Mia demanded.

"Probably because of the last match," Ron told her and they both looked at each other before looking at Harry.

"Maybe you could break a leg or something, fake being ill?" Ron asked and Harry shook his head.

"I can't. I'm the only seeker that Gryffindor has and I can't just back out. The Slytherin will think that I'm scared of Snape," Harry explained and Hermione nodded in agreement.

"He's right. Besides, Snape won't be able to do anything with Dumbledore watching his every move on the pitch," Hermione explained and Mia nodded.

"Okay, but if he does try something…" Mia left it hanging and Harry nodded in agreement. They knew that Sirius would go mad if Snape tried to do anything to Harry other than the first Quidditch incident.

There was a hooting sound and they turned to see Hedwig sitting on the head of the chair, a letter tied to her leg.

"Hey girl," Harry greeted as he moved over to her and stroked her back. The snowy owl turned around and nipped Harry's finger in greeting, causing Harry to smile. Hedwig lifted her leg and Harry untied the letter while taking out an owl treat from his robe pocket and handing it to the owl. She flew up onto Harry's shoulder, nibbled his ear in affection before taking the owl treat, and flew out of the window while Hermione sighed in wonder. She always loved the way in which Harry was attentive and loving with Hedwig. Ron and Mia to look at her then at each other, amusement clear on their faces as they turned back to face Harry.

"Who is it from?" Ron asked.

"Hagrid. He wants to see us tonight," Harry told them.

"Does he say why?" Mia asked and Harry shook his head.

"No, probably just wants to visit," Harry told them and they nodded as he looked at his watch. "I'd better go and get ready for Quidditch," Harry informed them before running up the stairs to the boys' room. He grabbed his broom and Quidditch clothes and left the Common Room.

Mia, Hermione and Ron made their way out to the stands and took their places while everyone else filled the seats. Hermione watched as Snape walked out onto the pitch dressed in his referee clothes and carrying a broom and the box that held the Quidditch balls. Hufflepuff team was the first one to come out and then it was the Gryffindor team.

Snape told the captains to shake hands before kicking the box and sent of the bludgers and snitch into flight before throwing up the quaffle, blowing the whistle as he did. Harry shot after the snitch while everyone else dodged the bludgers and fought over the quaffle. Harry caught the snitch almost straight away, bringing the game to an end.

Everyone in Gryffindor cheered. They couldn't recount a time when the snitch had ever been caught that fast and were happy that they were in the lead for the Quidditch Cup.

Harry and the rest found themselves walking down to Hagrid's Hut that night. They were talking about the Quidditch match and how furious Snape had been. He had even thrown his broom to the side, kicked the grass and spat in frustration at Gryffindor's swift win. They questioned on why Snape would want to referee the game when they came to a stop outside Hagrid's hut.

"Hullo, come on in," Hagrid greeted when he opened the door and let the kids through. They all smiled when they saw him and sat down on the chairs, when Hermione noticed something in the cauldron that was hanging over the fire.

"Hagrid, what's that?" Hermione asked, puzzled as she pointed to the cauldron. Hagrid turned around and saw that the object was wobbling.

"Oh, it's nearly ready!" he exclaimed, excitement shining in his voice as he pulled on some oven gloves. The giant took out the object, bouncing it from hand to hand as it was extremely hot, and the kids were stunned to see it was a giant egg. Being careful not to drop it, he moved the egg over and sat it down on the table.

The kids surrounded the table and watched as the egg started cracking

"Hagrid, is that a…" Hermione trailed off as the egg started to open.

"A dragon?" Mia finished and Hagrid nodded.

"Yeah, I won it in a card game, though the bloke did seem mighty please to be rid of it," Hagrid told them. Harry and Ron to shared a look of understanding before they turned back to the egg.

It fully cracked open, revealing a small green dragon. Its wings were huge for it's body and it had a long snout. It looked around at everyone before letting out a small sneeze, causing sparks to shoot out.

"It's a Norwegian Ridgeback!" Ron breathed out before looking at Hagrid with a puzzled look. "But how on earth can anyone get their hands on one? They are dangerous!"

"Isn't he adorable?" Hagrid cooed as he tickled the dragon's neck. "I'll think I'll call him Norbert."

"I guess it depends on people's views of adorable," Mia muttered under her breath as she kept an eye on Norbert, who puffed up his chest before sending a stream of fire toward Hagrid's beard, setting it on fire.

"Whoops!" Hagrid exclaimed as he patted the fire out. "I'm sure he'll be better once I've trained him up a bit," the giant told them before something caught his eye. He turned to the window and saw a familiar blonde haired standing at the window before they ran off.

Harry ran over to door and flung it open to see Pansy running back up to Hogwarts.

"It's Pansy," Harry called back; Ron, Mia and Hermione shared a look while Hagrid sat back in his chair.

"Oh boy," Hagrid moaned and Mia sighed.

"Hagrid, you can't keep Norbert any longer. You need to send him away," Mia told him and Harry nodded as he looked at Ron.

"Ron, do you think Charlie will be able to come down and collect Norbert?" Harry asked and Ron smiled.

"Probably, but we'll need to send him a letter to be sure," Ron told him.

"Pansy will keep her mouth shut for a few days as she likes having something to hold over us. We're safe at the time being," Harry told them and Hermione agreed. They all left Hagrid's hut and made their way back up to the castle, making plans how to get Norbert out of the Hogwarts without anyone else knowing.

A few days later, the plan was set in motion. Charlie and a friend of his were coming down to pick up the dragon. There was a catch, however, as Harry had to find a way to sneak Norbert into the castle and up to the highest tower so they could pick him up, as it was illegal to be seen with a dragon.

Ron had planned to go with Harry but ended up getting detentions with Snape in potions. Mia was going to do it but she ended up finding herself helping a teacher that night as well, leaving Harry and Hermione alone.

"I guess it's a good thing I have the invisibility cloak," Harry stated and Hermione grinned. They snuck out of the common room and hurried down to Hagrid's hut, where Norbert was waiting in his cage.

"I gave him plenty of food and some brandy, along with his teddy so he won't get lonely," Hagrid told them. Hermione winced when she heard a tearing sound and suspected that the teddy no longer had a head.

"We need to create a silencing charm otherwise he'll wake up half of the castle!" Hermione exclaimed and Harry drew out his wand and tapped the cage.

"Silencio!" Harry muttered and a flash of yellow covered the box. "Okay, let's go!" he told Hermione as they both took a handle and hurried back up to Hogwarts. Once they reached the doors, Harry pulled out his cloak and wrapped it around the three of them before they stepped in the doors and made their way through Hogwarts without any problems.

They reached the steps for the Astronomy towers and walked up them, being careful not to make too much noise till they reached the top and burst their way through out on to the open roof.

Harry pulled off the cloak and settled it on the ground as Hermione looked around for Charlie and his friend.

"How long do you think they'll be?" Hermione asked and Harry shrugged.

"They shouldn't be any longer," Harry told her and true to his words, there were two fluttering sound. They looked up to see a red haired man and a dark haired man on separate brooms.

"Harry?" a male voice asked and Harry nodded.

"Yeah, you're Charlie?" Harry asked and the red haired smiled as he nodded.

"Yeah, you got the dragon?" Charlie asked and Harry nodded as he and Hermione pushed the cage over. Charlie threw down a rope. "Tie them to the handles and we'll do the rest," Charlie told them.

Hermione took one rope while Harry took the other and they tied them to the handles of the cage. The two men raised their brooms and the cage lifted off. "Catch you later," Charlie called to them as they flew off. Hermione and Harry both waved back before he grabbed his cloak and stuffed it into his bag before taking Hermione's hand.

"Come on, we better go!" Harry hissed to her as they both ran down the steps only to stop when they reached the bottom and a familiar face popped out from the darkness.

"Oh dear, you are in trouble," Filch stated with an evil grin, causing Harry and Hermione to look at each other before they dropped their heads.

They followed Filch to Professor McGonagall's office. To their surprise Neville and Draco were already there.

"Explain yourselves!" McGonagall demanded, obviously furious with them. Neither of them could give any answers so they just stared at their feet. The professor huffed "Well, I'll tell you what I do know. I know that Mr Longbottom had came running to me about Hagrid having a dragon and that you were going to sneak it out of the castle tonight after hearing Miss Parkinson telling her friends about a dragon she had seen. I know that Mr Malfoy was running about the halls for no reasons and I know that you and Miss Granger were caught coming down from the Astronomy tower!" She shook her head. "I have never been more disappointed in my house before. Fifty points each and detention," McGonagall stated. Hermione, Draco, Harry and Neville looked at each other while Mia stared at the professor.

"Detentions?" Draco asked before sighing as he looked at the others. "Some year," he muttered to them.

Harry, Mia, Hermione, Ron and Neville made their way into the Great Hall only to get a cold shoulder from nearly everyone in the Hall. Gryffindor were still upset that they had lost 150 points from first year students who couldn't behave themselves. Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were also upset because they had waited so long to see Slytherin lose the house cup while Slytherin were delighted and made it well clear throughout breakfast.

"Thanks for helping us win the house cup!" Pansy remarked as the five kids sat down and Mia sighed.

"Wonderful morning too," Mia remarked and Hermione sighed.

"I'm pretty sure they'll get over it," she assured Neville, who just looked like he was going to cry.

"Yeah, I mean, it's only house points. There are more to life than points," Mia agreed and Ron winced as McGonagall sent them a glare before looking away.

"Yeah, though I'm not so sure that everyone else would agree with you," he pointed and Harry nodded.

"Yeah, but these things were bound to happen sooner or later. Just ignore them Neville. You did what you thought was right and that's more important," Harry assured him. "Even though you did rat us out," Harry teased and Neville blushed slightly.

"Sorry, it just, it didn't seem a good idea to go to Professor Dumbledore as you don't seem to be on good terms with him, I was actually looking for you when McGonagall caught me," Neville explained.

Ron eyes narrowed in thoughts of last night.

"Hey, where did you send Norbert off from?" Ron asked.

"The astronomy towers," Hermione, replied before giving a puzzled glance. "Although the way how McGonagall reacted when she caught Harry and I were a little confusing," she admitted. Mia snorted into her drink while Ron gave a slow smile.

"That's probably because anyone who does go to the Astronomy towers after curfew is mostly there for making out," Ron explained, causing Neville to choke on his pumpkin juice. Mia reached over and patted him on the back to help him through his coughing fit while Harry and Hermione paled as they looked at Ron before looking at each other. They blushed furiously as they faced their food once more.

"I guess we can understanding why McGonagall was acting weird then," Mia piped up, causing Neville, Ron and Mia to laugh while Harry and Hermione blushed even harder.

Everyone just stared at the five of them with a look of confusion, wondering why on earth they were laughing when they were in trouble. Mia looked around before rolling her eyes as she turned back to the others. "So, when is your detentions?" she asked.

"Tonight, McGonagall is pairing us up with Filch. I dread to think what he has in store for us tonight," Harry told her and Hermione agreed with a sigh.

"I can't believe you got detentions. I can't wait to tell dad what you've been up to," Mia told Harry and got a glare in return.

"He'll go nuts. He'll start lecturing me on not taking the proper precautions that he taught us for sneaking around Hogwarts!" Harry exclaimed and Mia smirked.

"But it's worth it when you see the teachers' face," Mia replied slyly and Harry laughed slightly.

"Yeah, I guess it is," Harry admitted while Ron shook his head.

"Some year this is turning out to be," Ron stated and everyone else nodded in agreement.

Harry, Hermione and Neville made their way down to the front of Hogwarts where they met up with Filch and Draco.

"Finally, come on, let's get a move on so you can get on with your punishment," Filch told them.

"Exactly what is our punishment?" Malfoy asked in a bored tone.

"You'll be working with Hagrid, in the forest," Filch told them with an evil smile. He led the way out of the castle and onto the ground with the kids following him.

"The forest?" Draco asked and Hermione sighed.

"Great detention we're having," Hermione stated.

"But students aren't allowed in the Forest, it's dangerous. There's werewolves and that in there," Draco protested. Filch gave him an evil smile.

"Oh, there's a lot more than werewolves, I can assure you that," Filch told them as he led the way. "I wished we still allow the punishment we used in the old days. I miss the screaming," he remised to himself, causing the four of them to look each other in horror before turning back to the front, eyes wide.

They arrived at Hagrid's hut, who was standing next to the big fire, loading his crossbow.

"You're here," Hagrid greeted them and they smiled up at him before Filch got in.

"Now, now, they are not here to be mollycoddled," Filch warned. Hagrid sighed as he turned back to his crossbow, causing Filch to groan. "You're not still on about that bloody dragon are you?" he demanded.

"He'll be fine Hagrid, he's with his own kind now," Hermione soothed and Hagrid turned to her.

"What if he doesn't like it there? What if they pick on him? He's only a baby," Hagrid protested as Filch rolled his eyes.

"Get yourself together man, you're heading into the forest, got to keep your wits about you," Filch warned. Neville whimpered slightly. "I'll be back, to pick up any pieces if there are any left." With a sadistic smirk, Filch walked off, leaving the kids alone with Hagrid.

"Right, listen up. Unicorns have been getting hurt and I found one badly injured last week. It's our job to find the poor thing and put it out of it's misery," Hagrid told them and he shouldered his crossbow.

"What's that for?" Hermione asked and Hagrid looked at the Crossbow before shaking his head.

"Just a precaution," Hagrid explained as he led the way into the Forest with Fang following. Hermione nervously held onto Harry's arm.

They walked further into the wood when Hagrid came to a stop. "Okay, we'll cover more ground if we split up," he told them. "Neville, Hermione, you'll come with me, Draco and Harry, you'll go with Fang." They nodded as Hermione reluctantly let Harry's arm go and moved over to Hagrid as Fang moved over to Harry and Draco.

Hagrid, Neville and Hermione walked off with Hermione shooting Harry scared looks before she walked out of sight.

"Right, come on," Harry stated with a small sigh and Draco smirked.

"Relax, you'll get to see your girl soon," Draco grinned. Harry punched him on the shoulder as they walked off in the other direction with Fang following them.

"What do you think is hurting the unicorn?" Harry asked. "First, I thought it was a werewolf but, they're not fast enough." Draco nodded in agreement.

"That's what I thought first but I can't think of anything that would want to harm a unicorn," Draco admitted.

"How come you got detentions?" Harry asked and Draco rolled his eyes.

"I overheard that stupid bint, Pansy. When I heard that Neville was freaking out, I knew that you had gone ahead with taking the dragon out and I tried to find you to warn you but McGonagall caught me," Draco explained.

They both walked on a little further, deep in thoughts when a low whine came from Fang. Startled, they both looked at the dog before looking up and they saw a dead unicorn lying on the ground and a cloaked figure bent over it.

Harry hissed out a gasp as he clutched his scar in pain. Draco looked at Harry in concern before turning back toward the sight when the cloaked figure snapped it's cloaked head up. They could see the bottom lip covered in silver blood.

"Shit," Draco gasped out in understanding as the figure stood up. It was about to make it's way over to the two young boys when all of a sudden a figure came out of nowhere and reared their legs at the cloaked figure, scaring it off.

The figure turned around to see Harry and Draco examining him. Harry could see that it was a half man; half horse and the answer came to him. A Centaur.

"Are you two alright?" the creature asked and Draco nodded.

"Yes, thank you," Draco told him. "Who are you?"

"My name is Firenze," the centaur told him before turning his attention to Harry. "And you're Harry Potter!" he exclaimed. "The Forest is not safe for you."

"What was that thing?" Harry demanded and Firenze sighed as he looked at the dead unicorn before speaking to the boys once more.

"Do you know what Unicorn's blood is used for?" Firenze asked. Draco and Harry looked at each other.

"Not really. It's not in any of the potions books we read. We only use the horn and hair," Draco told him and Firenze nodded.

"That's because it's a monstrous thing to slay something pure and defenceless just for their blood. What you don't realise is that once unicorn blood touches your lips; it will save your life, even if you're an inch from death but there's a price. A terrible price. You will receive a half life, a cursed life," Firenze explained.

"Who would do something like that?" Draco asked, horrified and Firenze looked at Harry.

"Can you not think of anyone who would do something like that?" Firenze asked and a light of understanding dawned on Harry as he stared at Firenze in horror.

"Wait. Are you saying that was Voldemort?" Harry demanded. Firenze just shot him a sharp look.

"Do not mention that name around here. There are many creatures who are still unsettled about You-Know-Who," Firenze warned before bowing his head. "Now I must leave you. You are safe with Hagrid but I must ask you not to seek out the creature in here again," Firenze told Harry before walking off as Hagrid walked up to Harry.

"Yer all right?" Hagrid asked and Harry nodded as he looked up at the man.

"Yeah, but I found the dead unicorn," Harry told him as he pointed off into a distance and Hagrid sighed as he nodded.

"Thank you," Hagrid replied. "Come on, I'd be best off getting you back to Hogwarts." Hagrid led the way up to the castle with Neville practically clinging to his side. Hermione and Draco cuddled around Harry.

"What was that about?" Draco asked.

"Looks like Voldemort is the one who has been killing the unicorn, at least that's what Firenze told me." Hermione and Draco shared a look of fear as they turned back to Harry.

"What are we going to do?" Hermione asked and Harry shook his head.

"It's obvious that Voldemort wants the stone, but as long as there are traps in front of it, Snape won't be able to get to the stone easily," Harry told them. Draco looked unsure.

"But what if he does he get the stone?" Draco asked the one thing that was burning in their mind.

TBC

Okay, I had planned for Mia to get detention and that but it didn't fit in with the plot so she got off.

Thanks for the reviews.

Oh, by the way: Bint in this story is short for Bitch.