Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Devil's Bed by Waterlilly
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Devil's Bed

Waterlilly

A/N: Hey new chapter! Toward the end, I hope you notice the mood change. I tried really hard to make you feel what they were, and hopefully I did a pretty good job.

Chapter 6

Ginny was fascinated with everything. She was talking so fast that Draco wasn't sure he knew everything that she was saying.

Draco had a smile plastered across his face, he could tell she was having a great time,"Come on. We're going to be late for the opera."

~*~

By the time they got there, the lights were already dimmed and everyone was seated.

When they got to their seats Ginny said, "Oh, Draco! You got us seats right in the front! This is going to be great!"

"Hey! Shut up down there!"

Ginny turned around in surprise, "Excuse me?"

"Hey fellow! Make your woman shut up!"

Draco glared at the man a few rows back. The man's eyes widened and he focused his attention on the stage.

Ginny whispered to Draco, "What was his problem?"

"They're American. They think they're better than everyone."

Ginny smirked, "Like you?"

Draco looked at her, and Ginny flashed an innocent smile.

"You better watch the play," he said in a fake menacing voice.

Ginny giggled and hushed instantly when the curtain rose.

~*~

When the curtain fell, Draco looked over at Ginny, who had a whole box of used tissues piled in her lap, and noticed her eyes were damp from tears.

He leaned closer to her and whispered, "You know this is just a story, right?"

Ginny looked at him and choked out, "I know, but it's so sad!"

Draco looked at her with confusion in his eyes. After a few more minutes, Draco leaned in again, "Would you like to get some coffee?"

Ginny sniffed and stopped her silent tears, "Yes, that would make me feel much better."

She looked into her tissue box, then back at Draco expectantly.

Draco furrowed his eyebrows, "What," he asked cautiously.

"I'm out of tissues."

He smirked and pulled his hankie out of his inside pocket.

She wiped her face and said, "Thank you."

He nodded and stood, offering her his arm. She took it, and he led her to the nearest coffee house.

~*~

They sat down at a little table and a waitress came up and asked them for their order.

"I'll have a French Vanilla Cappuccino with French Vanilla cream please."

They waitress smiled at Ginny and turned to Draco, "Black coffee."

She nodded and went behind the counter to start on their order.

Draco looked at Ginny and she immediately became embarrassed, "Look, I'm sorry about earlier."

"What about earlier?"

"About crying. Usually I'm not like that, but when I watch a play or an opera, I just turn into a waterfall. I'm a hopeless romantic."

"What do you mean by `hopeless?'"

Ginny was surprised by his question. It had never occurred to her why people referred to her as a `hopeless romantic.'

"I don't know. People just say that's what I am, so. . . I guess that's what I am."

The waitress sat down their mugs and walked off without a word.

"Well, isn't she just a bright ray of sunshine," Ginny said with raised eyebrows.

Draco smiled and nodded. He looked back down at his cup.

"Is there something else you want to ask me," she asked, noticing his body language.

"Why won't you tell me why you and Potter broke up?"

She slouched in her chair and her face fell a little, "Let's not talk about that. We were having a great time."

"I just want to know."

She shrugged, "He just changed."

"How," Draco prompted immediately.

She glanced into this eyes, then back down at her cup, "He just. . . wasn't my type."

Draco just stared at her.

She sighed, do we have to discuss this here?"

"No, I can wait a little longer."

"Thank you."

They sat in silence for a few minutes when Draco asked, "So, do you want to catch a late plane, or wait until tomorrow?"

"Well, where would we stay if we waited until tomorrow?"

"A hotel."

Ginny sat for a moment, thinking.

She took the last sip of her drink, stood up and said, "Well, let's find a hotel."

Draco nodded and threw some muggle money down on the table. He put his hand on her lower back, guiding her outside and down the street.

~*~

Draco found the most luxurious hotel in New York and pushed her inside.

"No, Draco," she kept whispering to him, "It's too expensive. Let's go somewhere else."

"If you don't be quiet, I'll make you sleep on the street while I sleep here."

Ginny huffed and puffed, but finally gave up.

Draco walked up to the desk while Ginny stood two feet behind him gazing around in awe.

"Just one room," he glanced back at Ginny, "And we'll probably need two beds."

The male clerk gave him a sympathetic nod and started typing away on his computer. He shook his head and said, "I'm sorry sir, we don't have any rooms available with two beds."

Draco looked at Ginny again, who still wasn't paying any attention, and turned back to man, "Well, give me the most expensive room you have to make it up to her."

The clerk smirked and gave him a slip to sign, took his money, and gave him a key card.

Draco thanked him, called Ginny's name three times, then took her to the elevator.

When the doors of the elevator opened, she looked at Draco like he was crazy, "Draco, this is a box."

"It's an elevator."

"A what?"

"Just trust me."

Ginny looked at the box warily and reluctantly followed him in.

The doors shut and Ginny said, "Dear merlin!"

She ran to the doors and tried to open them.

"Ginny, you're fine. They're supposed to do that."

"I need to get out of here!"

"Just a minute," he pressed a button that said `32,' and the floor started moving.

Ginny screeched and clutched the rail with her eyes screwed shut.

Draco wrapped his arm around her and she calmed down enough to breath right.

However, as soon as the doors were open, she flew out of the elevator as if her life depended on it.

Draco shook his head, chuckled, and strolled out of the elevator.

Ginny was standing a little way down the hallway trying to catch her breath.

He placed his hand on the small of her back and took her to the door at the very end of the hall.

He opened the doors with the key card, while Ginny watched on earnest, and swung the door open with a dramatic gesture.

Ginny gasped at the grandeur of the suite.

It was about the size of her own apartment, decorated in beige, tan, and cream with dark brown as an accent.

"It's like a page from a magazine!"

Draco smirked proudly, "Do you like it?"

She turned around with a beaming smile, "I love it!"

He shut the door, and placed his coat on the back of the chair.

"So, are you hungry? I could order room service."

"Room service? Sure! Do they maccaroni and cheese?"

"Is that all you eat?"

"No," Ginny said defensively, then her eyes furrowed in thought, "Well, now that you mention it, yeah that's pretty much what I eat."

His smirk grew into a smile and he nodded, "I'll see if they do," he picked up the receiver and started to dial zero for the clerk when Ginny gasped.

"What?"

"I haven't looked at the bathroom yet," Ginny exclaimed, racing toward a door slightly to draco's right.

Draco chuckled and pushed zero. He waited a moment and when the woman's voice met his ears, he hesitated and then finally asked, "Um, yes, do you by any chance have maccaroni and cheese?"

He listened to her and then said, "Great, I really appreciate it."

He plopped down the receiver and went to the bathroom door and put his ear to it.

"Hey Gin?"

She flung open the door with a huge grin on her face, "Oh my gosh Draco!"

She pulled him in by his wrist. Draco's eyes grew wide with bewilderment as she jerked him in.

"Look," she said breathlessly. He glanced around, wondering what was so great, but then he realized that in her eyes this place was magical.

"Yeah, it's beautiful isn't it?"

"It's lovely."

Suddenly she realized that they were in a bathroom and she said, "Um, did they have maccaroni?"

"Oh, yeah it should be-"

there was a knock at the door, "That must be it."

he walked out and she followed him and sat down at a little dining table in an alcove across the room.

A man in black dress pants and white button- up with a red vest came in with a tray. He set it down, smiled up at Ginny and said, "Hi, what's your name?"

Ginny smiled back and started to answer when Draco walked over and said, "Well, it's nice of you to ask! My name is Draco."

Draco held out his hand and the man shook it with an awkward smile.

Ginny heard paper crumble as the man shoved his hand in his pocket and excused himself.

Ginny smirked at Draco, "Jealous?"

"No," Draco said in a defensive tone, then sat down in the seat across from her.

She lifted the little metal dome off of her plate and smile at the huge pile of macaroni and cheese that met her eyes. She glanced up and watched Draco reveal his plate.

He had a huge slice of cheesecake with white chocolate drizzled all over it.

Her shoulders fell as she stared at it.

Draco had began eating, but he suddenly got the feeling that she was staring at him. He glanced up at her, "Is there something more interesting than your macaroni?"

"Cheesecake," Ginny said in a dreamy voice.

Draco's featured showed confusion when he said, "Yes, this is cheesecake."

"Is that white chocolate?"

"Yes."

"Can I have it?"

"No, this is my cheesecake, you wanted macaroni."

"But I didn't know they had cheesecake."

Draco was beginning to get disturbed because Ginny hadn't taken her eyes off of his cheesecake, "You can have a bite,"

"Really?"

Draco held his fork out to her and she ate it.

Draco was definitely becoming scared when her eyes immediately closed and she moaned rather loudly, "Oh my gosh! It's so creamy! Can we trade?"

"No, you've had your bite, now eat your macaroni."

Ginny's shoulders slumped, "Fine."

She sat motionless for a second before screaming, "Screw you," grabbing the plate, and running to the bathroom.

Draco realized what was happening when she was halfway to the bathroom. He reached her just as she slammed the door in his face and twisted the lock.

"That is my cheesecake," he shouted through the door.

Ginny giggled and said in a sing-song voice, "Not anymore!"

"Are you laughing at me," he asked indignantly.

She giggled again, "Yep."

"That's it," he took a small step back, drew his wand, and the door clicked open.

When he looked at Ginny, he realized that she had already eaten the entire piece of cheesecake.

"You already ate the whole piece?"

"Um- hmm. . ." Ginny said licking the fork.

Draco, noticing this, took a deep breath.

Ginny, realization hitting her, quit licking the spoon and dropped it on the plate.

In a few seconds, Draco regrouped himself and said to her, "Fine, if that's the way you want it. . ."

Ginny watched him walk out of the bathroom not fully understanding his statement.

When she heard the clink of silverware against a plate, she thought she knew what he meant.

She poked her head out of the bathroom and could see that her plate of macaroni and cheese was gone.

She walked over to the table with her mouth hanging open, "You ate my macaroni?"

"You ate my cheesecake," Draco said simply.

Ginny sighed, "I'm too tired to argue, I'm going to bed."

She turned around and noticed for the first time that there was only one bed.

She turned back to Draco, who was avidly avoiding her gaze.

"Draco. . . ."

He still didn't acknowledge her.

"Draco. . . . ." she said with a little more menace.

He finally looked at her guiltily, "Yes?"

"There is only one bed."

"Oh! Right, about that. . ."

"Did you think. . ."

Before she could finish her question, he held out his hand in an effort to stop her, "No! No, it's not like that at all! They didn't have anymore rooms with two beds. I had no choice. I'll sleep on the little couch if you want me to."

Ginny's face softened a bit and she sighed, "No, but stay on your side of the bed!"

Draco felt a quick feeling of triumph and said, "Understood."

Ginny nodded and went over the bed and pulled out her book.

Draco tried, he really did, to suppress his smile, but it came out as an snicker.

Ginny quickly turned her attention away from her book to glare at Draco.

Draco, trying to stop snickering, said, "Yes?"

"What is so funny?"

"You reading porn."

Ginny threw her book down on the bed and said, "I told you, it's not porn!"

Draco straightened his face and asked, "Ginny, why do you read that stuff?"

Ginny opened and closed her mouth a couple of times. She didn't really know why. In her defense she finally said, "I have only read that one."

Draco stood and looked at the book lying on the bed, "It seems pretty wore out. It's practically falling apart."

Ginny glanced at it, and couldn't say anything.

Draco studied her face as she was looking away from him. He could see a glint of something wrong in her eyes, a sadness that he never noticed before. But as soon as it was there, it was gone. There was no longer that trace of sadness on her face.

She looked back at him with a sheepish smile,"Well, I guess I have read it a lot."

Draco looked at her for a moment, then said in a low voice, "You're very lonely aren't you?"

Ginny was taken aback by his question. She just looked into his eyes, and she didn't know what to say.

His face was almost a blank canvas, with just a hint of concern in his eyes, maybe sympathy.

he leaned in close to her and whispered, "We're more alike than you know."

Then she felt it. She felt that feeling. But this time was different, more intense, more real.

She was falling in love with Draco Malfoy.

-->