Unofficial Portkey Archive

Operation CoJacks by Viopathartic
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Operation CoJacks

Viopathartic

Operation CoJacks

Viopathartic

A/N: Part 2: 9 pages of the rest of the 23. Enjoy!


Hermione and the others were waiting for Harry when he and Slit arrived back at the Atrium. Although odd, no one bothered to question why some 25-year-old guy was following their friend around and they all eventually ended up at Grimmauld Place instead of the Burrow. Mrs. Weasley, who had just returned with Ginny from St. Mungo's, was in the right state when her eyes fell upon Harry and she immediately gathered him into her arms.

"Didn't leave a note…thought something terrible had happened to you…" she muttered as she tightened her grip on him; therefore nearly suffocating Harry.

"Mum, leave him alone. He still has to fight You-Know-Who!" said Fred.

"Yeah, mum. How would the people react if the headlines on Daily Prophet said 'Boy-Who-Lived: Death by Hugs'?" George teased, eliciting laughter from everyone in the room. Mrs. Weasley playfully slapped her twins on the head and quickly bustled into the kitchen, announcing that she would cook up dinner for everyone.

"Seriously Harry, where've you been?" asked Bill who had an arm wrapped around his fiancée, Fleur Delacour. Harry had forgotten about the wedding ever since the start of the summer. It must be approaching because he had heard them discussing the seating arrangements for the ceremony. Bill's face bore scars from the attack of Fenrir Greyback but he was smiling as if he had just won the lottery. Harry guessed love did that to some people; love made people forget the bad things that happened around them and brought good fortunes instead. Or maybe it was because of the changes that were visibly seen in Grimmauld Place.

Harry hadn't been in his godfather's home--now his home--since 5th year. Apparently, Molly took it upon herself to completely redecorate the interior of the headquarters. The atmosphere that had once given Harry a chill, eerie feeling every time he stepped into the room made him feel at home. The hallways were basked in light and shined instead of the darkness that covered the place before. The furniture was replaced with more cheerful colors and the kitchen was made into a replica of Molly's. Unfortunately, the portrait of Sirius' mother remained in place on the wall but people learned to be quiet around her with practiced ease.

Remus Lupin and Tonks were tenderly holding hands as they sat around the unlit fireplace. Hermione was tending to a gash on Ron's arm but he didn't seem as if he noticed his wound. His attention was focused on his once lost but now returned best mate. Everyone was eagerly waiting for Harry's recount on his short disappearance.

Harry exchanged a glance with Hermione and Slit-something that was not ignored by the people present in the room.

"Well, I suppose-"

"Harry? Mum-why didn't you-" A voice cried from the kitchen and Harry's mind immediately connected the sound to a certain ex-girlfriend's face. Right on time, Ginny burst from the kitchen, letting the swinging door hit the wall behind. She was as beautiful as Harry remembered but her look as she tried to seek him from the crowd gave him an uncomfortable feeling. He hadn't really thought of what would happen when they meet again.

At the moment, Harry was glad that Fred and George were so tall.

"Shite," muttered Harry who quickly turned his back on her. He grabbed Slit and pulled him away from the corner where he was attempting to remain invisible. "Everyone, this is Slit."

Slit sounded bewildered as to why Harry was suddenly introducing him to a crowd of strangers. The crowd, except Hermione, was thinking along the same lines. Hermione looked amused at her friend's attempt to avoid the wrath of his ex-girlfriend.

"Slit?" Remus inquired, his eyebrow raised at the odd name. Slit would have said the same about his but thought it was a bit rude.

"Well, actually his real name is Jameson Tanner…" Harry looked at Slit to confirm.

"And he's a muggle?" Mr. Weasley asked, his expression changing from confusion to delight. Harry remembered when he had first met the father of his best friend and how he asked countless questions on his muggle upbringing. He was almost afraid to answer.

"Yeah, I am," answered Slit who was unaware of what reaction his reply might bring.

"Fascinating!" Mr. Weasley was about to leave his seat to pursue deeper information, but his wife entered the room to announce that dinner was ready. Arthur appeared disappointed but he complied nonetheless and followed Molly through the swinging door.

On Harry's way passed her, the witch embraced him again.

"Oh, Harry dear, I'm so glad you're alright! You're like a son to me…if I were to ever lose you…" Mrs. Weasley's eyes began to tear. Harry suddenly remembered her boggart being the corpse of everyone she loved. In hope of avoiding an emotional breakdown, Harry hugged her back. She returned it earnestly. "Alright, so sorry. Now head to the dining room. You too, Jameson," she pushed the two and steered them to the table.

Every body settled down around the long table and were treated to Molly Weasley's delicious cooking. Plates were filled with pieces of season chicken and tossed salads. All was well in the convivial atmosphere that was present in the dining room of the Burrow. It was as if the battle at the Ministry didn't happen.

The only problem was being around Ginny. She had snagged a seat right across from Harry and next to Hermione. His best friend noticed the tension Harry felt and gave him a sympathetic smile. Ron was seated on the other side of Hermione but didn't seem the least flustered by the closeness. Slit was overwhelmed with the surplus of food and since he wasn't familiar to some, Harry was glad to teach him (it distracted him from Ginny).

"…basically pasties in the shape of pumpkins. This is butterbeer. It's delicious…has a bit of alcohol in it but it doesn't affect humans…only house elves," explained Harry as he handed Slit a bottle of his favorite drink. Slit took a cautious (he was Slit, of course) sip of the drink before indulging himself in its delicious warmth.

"Elves? As in Christmas and Saint Nicholas?" Slit asked, sounding bewildered. He refused to show what he felt but his voice explained it all. Hermione and Harry laughed when he said this.

"No, not exactly. Dobby!"

There was a small pop and a small, short creature with large bat-like ears and pencil thin nose. He gazed up at Harry with his huge, green, tennis sized eyes. "Harry Potter has called Dobby!"

He immediately launched himself into Harry's arm, smiling widely. "You all right, Harry Potter! Dobby thought he wouldn't be able to tell Harry Potter. But luck was with Dobby and he found Harry Potter's Miss!"

Hermione turned red at being addressed as "Harry Potter's Miss" and refused to look at Ron when he gave her an amused glance or when Ginny glared daggers at her.

Harry merely laughed. "And I thank you for that, Dobby. We would have never known the Ministry was being attacked if it weren't for you. I think I'll buy you some socks this weekend."

Dobby clapped his hands and turned to Hermione. "And Dobby thanks Harry Potter's Miss for stopping him from poking himself with the pen."

"I wouldn't want you to get hurt, Dobby," said Hermione kindly. The elf jumped on her and hugged her enthusiastically. Everyone laughed. Ron suddenly coughed something that sounded oddly like "Spew!"

"Ron, it is not spew; it's S. P.E.W. Society for the-"

"Promotion of Elfish Welfare," answered Harry and Ron in mock boredom. "We know, Hermione." Harry said, shooting her a grin. Hermione shook her head and went back to her dinner but he could still see her blushing.

After laughs and jokes were exchanged, the noisy environment settled down to normal volume. Mrs. Weasley deftly vanished all of the dishes with a flick of her wand, momentarily alarming Slit. He still had to get used to being in a different world.

"So, Slit…" began Tonks who was sitting on the other side of Harry. Slit pulled his attention away from Harry just in time to see Tonk transforming her hair color from its usual pink to a spiky red and black.

"How'd the fuck you do that?" Slit asked. Mr. Weasley coughed at his surprising use of expletive. His wife appeared to be restraining herself from scolding the guest.

Harry, who was suppressing a laugh, answered, "Tonks is a Metamorphmagus. She can change her appearance at will. She uses her talent in her career which is as an Auror. Auror is the equivalent of what you do, Slit."

"Oh, so you're a muggle Auror, Slit?" asked Tonks who changed back to normal.

"Yes, I suppose," said Slit, cautiously eyeing her hair as if it might change again.

"I never got a chance to study Muggle Studies in Hogwarts. What do you use instead of a wand?" Mr. Weasley asked curiously. Slit took out his gun to show Arthur. "Ah, a fireleg! Interesting, interesting…" he muttered as he weighed the object in his hands.

"Do you have the safety lock on?" Hermione hissed across the table. Slit nodded in a manner that screamed 'duh, of course!'

"Actually, Mr. Weasley, it's a firearm or a gun. If you press the trigger-and don't, Mr. Weasley-the magazine, where the ammunition is stored, releases a bullet. That's like releasing a spell form a wand except a bullet could kill a person right away."

Hermione smirked at Harry's knowledge of guns which was all thanks to her uncle's organization.

"You were the one who shot Nott?"

Slit took back his gun and nodded grimly.

Mr. Weasley gave him a small smile. "Well, at least one of them is gone."

"Why do you have one, Harry?" asked Tonks suddenly. She pointed at his holster that was attached to the right side. Hermione shot him a look.

"Er…well…"

Everyone in the room was looking at him expectedly. Remus had a disturbed look on his face; he was familiar with the muggle world and knew how dangerous the usage of a gun could be. He also knew damn well that his parents-Lily, especially-wouldn't agree to his son owning such a weapon.

"A gun? Harry, why do you have it one? You're just a student!" Mrs. Weasley exclaimed in a tone that said she won't stop asking unless she got a clear answer from him.

Slit decided to step in. "Mrs. Weasley, I think you and I know that Harry is not JUST a normal teenager."

"Of course, Jameson! Harry here survived a Killing Curse at the age of one year and also has an evil sorcerer after him who wants to make his life miserable! He's never BEEN normal ever since he got his Hogwarts acceptance letter."

"Well, Harry has the gun because it protects him just like his wand does. That's all," explained Slit.

Harry raised an eyebrow at the last words. A "That's all" could never explain the whole situation--not at the least. In order to tell everyone about Operation CoJacks, they'll need to stay seated for the whole ride. But Slit didn't want to explain--not even to the people belonging to another world.

Tonks, noticing the finality in Slit's voice, diverted Molly's attention by asking about the recent changes she had done to the dining room. Harry quickly excused himself while shooting a significant look to Ron and Hermione. Slit got up as well.

They silently made their way through the corridor that led to one of the rooms. He recognized this room as Sirius' old one but didn't tell anyone. He'll probably explore more after he talked to his friends. The bedroom was adorned in Gryffindor colors which might have been something his family had despised; the Black Family was notoriously pureblooded and their loyalty belonged to Slytherin.

Slit was just about to follow the three when a voice called.

"Where's Harry?"

He had noticed his protégé's reaction to this girl, Ginny, and inferred that he had a relationship of some sort with her. Slit could never imagine why Harry would date some like her. He quickly read her profile and saw a confident, snippy girl who probably cared for Harry in a different way than a regular girlfriend would care about a regular and NORMAL boyfriend.

"I don't know." His tone of distrust was well masked with sincere boredom and carelessness.

Ginny peered over Slit's shoulder to the closed door. She gave him a look while taking out her wand in a manner that was supposed to intimidate Slit. "I know how to cast a Bat-Bogey Hex. Believe me, you don't want to see it."

The agent crossed his arms and spread his legs apart, positioning himself in a defensive stance. "You want to attack me with your bogies? How childish."

The door quickly opened. "Slit, if you want to come in--"

Hermione stopped in mid-sentence and noticed Ginny with her wand raised. "Er--hello, Ginny."

The red-haired girl narrowed her eyes. "Where's Harry? I need to talk to him."

"I don't know, Ginny. Perhaps he-"

"Come off it, Hermione! Ron's probably with you too."

Knowing she was caught, she and Ginny stared at each other. Then, as swiftly as she could, Hermione grabbed a hold of Slit's collar and pulled him into the room with her, closing the door in a hurry.

Harry heard the hexes that were being cast against the door and quickly aided Hermione in securing their privacy with series of charms and incantation.

"Lucky she didn't cast the Bat-Bogey at you...you would've been finished," Ron said to Slit who cautiously sat down the floor next to him.

"Yeah, well I'm glad," said Slit dryly. Harry and Hermione seated themselves after finishing the charms.

"Harry, you're gonna have to face my sister sooner or later. I don't know how much more I can take." Hermione nodded in agreement.

"She's getting out of hand."

"She's a feisty one," muttered Slit who was taking in his surroundings.

Harry sighed. "Okay, I get it. I'll talk to her later, but that's not what we're here for. We haven't discussed it yet and I thought we should do it before me and Slit leave again. First off, I haven't told you everything about where me and Hermione have been for the past weeks…"

He took awhile to explain his disappearance to Ron who gaped when he learned about the secret organization his friend was now part of. Slit walked around the room, seemingly bored and was inspecting a book that lay on top of a desk. Hermione was warily watching him.

"Blimey, Harry! That's wicked. And Hermione's uncle…bloody hell…"

Harry grinned.

"So you're gonna use the things you learn from CoJacks and magic to fight Voldemort? And you told Scrimgeour this?"

"That's the plan. Hopefully it'll turn out well," said Harry. Hermione, who was very proud of her friend for going up against the Minister of Magic, reached over and grabbed his hand, giving it a squeeze. Her friend smiled widely.

Ron eyed their entwined hands with amusement. "Hermione has a whole notebook on Horcruxes. Mad brilliant, she is. Hermione even came up with potential locations." He nodded at his friend and Hermione reached behind her with her empty hand. She drew out a notebook that looked as if it had been used many times. Harry took a few moments to read over what she had written and then handed it for Slit to inspect.

He smiled at Hermione, still holding her hand. "You figured it out then. RAB is actually Regulus Artucus Black. Sirius' brother."

Hermione blushed. "I thought we were overlooking something. I was thinking about the identity of RAB and it just came."

"Brilliant," he whispered. Harry always knew Hermione would pull through and find an answer for everything. "And it's convenient too, us being at Sirius' house."

Hermione nodded. "The cup may be hidden in places that Riddle thought no one would ever hear about. So I suspect his orphanage. I also think Nagini is one too; that's why Voldemort always has her by his side. The item of Ravenclaw or Gryffindor may be an accessory or an object like a bracelet or crown and..." she trailed off. She appeared to be nervous about something.

"Hermione?" Suddenly Harry felt scared. He had suspected it himself but he would just say it couldn't be true and left it at that.

"Harry's a horcrux?" Slit saw the slanted written words on Hermione's notebook when he came across the theories.

She nodded but hurriedly added, "But I'm not completely convinced. I just thought...well, your mum and dad were murdered that night so Voldemort may have planted his soul into you...that's why you can speak Parseltongue and see into his mind and stuff..." Hermione cautiously checked for Harry's reaction but surprisingly found that his face was blank. Slit knew what he was doing; he was hiding his emotions like Slit had advised. Harry probably practiced it with frequency.

"That's true. I may be a horcrux." Harry said simply.

"It's just a theory though...there may be a chance--"

"Hermione--you don't have to apologize!" said Harry a bit more forcefully than he intended, but his friend quieted down.

Ron worriedly glanced at his friend. Hermione had vaguely told him where Harry was during his disappearance but he knew she was holding something back. Harry had explained a bit more but still left room for imagination. Ron wasn't exactly mad that she didn't tell him the whole story in the beginning. He could see that it was good for Harry. He was more composed and not as downcast or hopeless as he was at the funeral. Ron just felt a bit left out. For now, he'll let it pass; after all, Horcruxes were enough to worry about.

"We don't have to think about it. Let's just-let's search for the locket, okay?" Harry asked, trying to sound apologetic. Hermione nodded and he smiled warmly at her.

Their search was short-lived. Right when they came into the living room (the guests were still in the dining room), they realized that everything had been cleaned out in fifth year so it was impossible to find the locket. Ron had reminded them that Kreacher always stole the artifacts from them after they would throw it into the rubbish pile. Harry was then struck with the memory that was seemingly useless back then but vital for them at the moment.

"A locket that we couldn't open…" Something clicked inside Harry's head and he instantly caught Hermione's attention. The two suddenly sprinted into the narrow hallway and threw open the door that led to Kreacher's hidden nest. They withdrew from the pungent smell that was let out, kept inside for so many years. Hermione performed a Bubble Head Charm which allowed the two to breathe in safe oxygen. Harry crawled into the small place, digging through piles and piles of dirtied junk, but soon learned that the locket was nowhere in sight.

Harry, in resigned manner, crawled back out and shook his head.

"Should we ask Kreacher?" From his tone, every one knew that was what Ron least wanted to do.

"Who's Kreacher?"

Harry shot Slit a miserable look before sighing and closing his eyes. "Kreacher."

Suddenly, a small creature appeared in the center of the room. Its wrinkly, bare back was turned away from the four. The ears were as long as Dobby but were bent and full with hair. It was only when the thing turned around did Slit realize it was another house elf.

"Master…called?" Kreacher said the first word with difficult, inwardly refusing to address any other master than his real, rightful owner.

Harry was suddenly reminded of the creature's betrayal the night of the Ministry. He had lied to Harry, telling him that Sirius was already gone. That had caused Harry to break into the Ministry, only to find that it was all a trap created by Voldemort. Kreacher didn't care about anything except his precious pureblood master. He hated Sirius almost as much as Harry hated Kreacher. He couldn't speak to the elf again and didn't want to.

Hermione knelt down so that she was at eye level with the aged house elf. "Kreacher, Harry was wondering if you know about a locket that had belonged to Regulus Black. Do you know where it is?"

Kreacher stared wide eyed back at the witch. "Mudblood is speaking to Kreacher…disgusting, ugly creature, she is…if only Master-"

All of a sudden, Harry's hand shot out, his fingers curling around the house elf's wrinkly and dirty neck. He heard Hermione giving a small shriek of surprise before telling him to stop and that he was hurting the creature. Slit saw a flicker of anger that burst like fire in Harry's eyes.

"Where. Is. The. Locket?" Harry asked through gritted teeth. He was tired of the creature's insults towards Hermione…he knew Kreacher had stolen the locket so why won't he tell him… Kreacher struggled to breath under his tight grip, his legs were kicking and small hands were on Harry's and were trying to ease the hold.

"Harry!"

Harry glanced at Hermione's scared look before throwing Kreacher onto the ground and casting the creature a great stare of aversion. The creature slowly breathed in and out, trying to regain its breath. He slowly got onto his feet.

Harry took a step closer and said evenly, "Kreacher. I command you to tell me where Regulus Black's locket is. Now."

"Kreacher does not know-"

Harry lunged forward but Hermione had grabbed both of his arms and pulled him back so that she had her arms wrapped around the middle of his torso. Harry froze at this. She still held him as he forced his breathing, which was coming heavy, to slow down. He relaxed in her hold. For a moment he was thankful that Hermione had stopped him. He didn't know what he would do to Kreacher…Harry was just so angry…Kreacher didn't know what he was keeping from us…how imperative it was for them to find the locket and the other Horcruxes.

"Harry, please, please," Hermione half pleaded and half whispered as she nestled her head against Harry's back. "Calm down. We want to find the horcrux too."

He listened to the desperateness in his friend's voice. Even through all the things Kreacher had done, Hermione still didn't want any hurt to be brought upon the house elf. Sometimes Harry couldn't understand how Hermione was so calm when she knew the Horcruxes was needed; he, however, was ready to strike when he needed to. Hermione, with her arms safely around him, was the only person who could stop him.

Harry nodded and swallowed. "Kreacher, please. If you don't know where the locket is, then why don't you know?"

"Someone stole it…Kreacher saw, oh he saw it…Mistress was screaming but told her to calm down and she did…"

"Who? Who, Kreacher?"

Kreacher gave him a reproachful glare. "That disgusting man…smokes green stuff…came and took away my precious artifacts… "

"Blimey, it's Mundungus! He stole stuff from Grimmauld, remember?" exclaimed Ron.

"Yeah, yeah," Harry muttered agitatedly once Hermione had released him. "Kreacher, I order you to go back to Hogwarts and speak to no one about this."

Kreacher sneered. "Yes, Master."

After, Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Slit decided to return to the dining room where everyone was. Slit announced that they must be leaving (which caused protests from Molly and Ginny and questions that were left unanswered when Hermione was said to be leaving too). Harry promised to Ron that he'd fill his best friend on his disappearance and that they'd be here in time for the wedding which was to be held in ten days.

Remus knew that Dumbledore had set upon Harry to do something important. He wanted to talk to Harry about this but it seemed urgent for him to return back to wherever he had come from.

Just before Harry apparated with Slit and Hermione, a sense of relief mixed with anxiety settled upon him. He knew where the locket was and that was a good thing. He had the will of Dumbledore and he'd read it when he returned to Operation CoJacks headquarter. Now all Harry had to do was face Hermione's uncle when they get back.

It won't be that hard, right?

Harry knew he was only lying to himself.


So, what did you think of this chapter?

Also, I'd really appreciate it if some of you check out my newest story called 'A Club'. I want to see what people think of it so that I'd know if I should continue it or not.

Thanks,

Viopathartic