Unofficial Portkey Archive

More Important Than Any Broomstick by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

More Important Than Any Broomstick

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

More Important Than Any Broomstick - Chapter 10 - A New Life

Harry and Hermione were giving Sirius the tour of the Grangers' home and were currently in the garden while Mr. and Mrs. Granger were inside preparing dinner. Sirius said, "It really is nice to walk around as a free man! Even after I escaped, I still couldn't walk around in gardens like this."

"Yes, I suppose not, Mr. Black," said Hermione.

"Call me Sirius, Hermione," said Sirius Black with a smile. Then, looking around he said, "This really is a beautiful garden. I'll bet you had a hand in making it."

She blushed. "I helped a bit."

"So, how long have you two been going out?"

They both smiled. "Since just after Christmas," said Harry. "We've been friends since Halloween of first year, but that's another story."

"I'd love to hear it sometime, but go on with how you started dating," said Sirius.

"What happened at Christmas was that Harry had received a Firebolt with no note," said Hermione."

"Oh," said Sirius, his face free of expression.

"Yes," continued Hermione. "And since we'd been told that you were out to kill Harry, I was afraid you'd cursed it and sent it to trick Harry into riding it so he'd fall off it and die."

"Hm," said Sirius.

"Anyway, she turned it over to Professor McGonagall, and Ron Weasley went ballistic, saying she was jealous and other nonsense like that," said Harry.

"But Harry," said Hermione with a smile, "stood up for me and let me explain my fears."

"After that," said Harry, "he wouldn't hang out with us anymore, so we spent a lot more time together, and well…"

"Starting kissing," suggested Sirius with a smile.

Both Harry and Hermione turned beet red. "Er, yeah," said Harry.

"And then Ron caught us and started acting worse toward us." Hermione sighed. "We're back on speaking terms with him, but I don't think our friendship will ever be close again."

Sirius said, "I'm sorry about Ron, but I've got a confession to make."

"What?" asked both teenagers together.

Sirius chuckled, "I did send Harry the broomstick for Christmas."

"So I was at least half right!" said Hermione triumphantly while Harry just stood there dazed for a few seconds.

Harry then smiled. "So in a way, you brought us together!"

They all chuckled a bit at that, but were interrupted when Marissa Granger called out, "Dinner's ready, you three."

"I'll be right there!" said Sirius. "This is my first home-cooked meal in thirteen years!"

-

While they were eating, Mr. Granger said to Sirius, "I understand you met Harry yesterday afternoon."

"Yes," he said, "although really it was reacquainted myself with him. I knew him as a baby. He's turned into an outstanding young man."

Harry's ears turned pink. "He has indeed," said Mrs. Granger, causing the pink to spread from Harry's ears to his cheeks.

"I must admit that I'm glad there'll be an adult staying with Harry," said Mr. Granger. "I understood why he had to leave those awful relatives of his, and I know he can take care of himself, but I planned on checking on him every few days just to make sure he was alright."

"I promised James and Lily I'd look after him, and now I finally can keep that promise," said Sirius.

"So, what did you do after you met Harry?" asked Marissa.

"Well, a few minutes after I left Harry, Dumbledore called me to his office."

"What did he want?" asked Harry, frowning. He could guess what the meeting was about.

"He wanted to talk me out of taking Harry away from the Dursleys."

"What?" asked Adam and Marissa at the same time with horrified expressions on their faces.

"Yeah, even after I told him about how the Dursleys treat Harry! He tried to tell me how Harry's safer there and I lost my temper. I yelled at him about how he should have put Harry anywhere but with those people! There were literally hundreds of families lined up ready to take in the `Boy-Who-Lived!' It might not have been good for him to be raised with fame, but it would have been better than the Dursleys!"

"I know that's true!" said Harry, fuming at that thought, which had never occurred to him before.

Before anyone could say anything more, an owl started tapping at the window nearest the dining room. Mrs. Granger got up and let the owl, which was carrying a copy of the evening edition of the Daily Prophet, into the house. It flew straight to Sirius, who relieved it of the paper and gave it a coin.

"What's in the news?" asked Hermione.

"Let me find out," said Sirius, as he unrolled the paper. "What? That imbecile Fudge!"

"What's happened?" asked Harry, with a worried look on his face that was shared by his girlfriend.

"Pettigrew's escaped! Some idiot let him loose for a second before putting him in a cell. He transformed into a rat and got away!"

Marissa looked concerned. "Do you think he'll go after Harry?"

Sirius got a hungry expression on his face. "I hope he does," he said calmly. "I'm cleared now, so I don't need to keep that murderer alive, especially since the ministry can't keep that rat prisoner. But I doubt he'll do that. He'll probably just find some other wizarding family to take him in as a pet." Then Sirius' face turned grim. "Unless…"

"Unless what?" asked Hermione.

"Unless he tries to find his master," said Sirius.

Everyone at the table was silent until Harry decided to change the subject. "So Hermione, have you figured out an Arithmancy study schedule for me, yet?"

Hermione smiled. "Of course Harry! You'll have to learn a chapter a day to make sure we have time to test you before Professor Vector does. You'll need to read chapter one tonight and then again tomorrow before I come over at noon to discuss it and test you, and then we'll keep doing that with every chapter until we finish chapter twenty. Then I'll start making up exams for you to take every day until your test." Harry's eyes were bulging out more and more as she spoke, but he nodded his head in ascent anyway, knowing that he would need to work hard to get out of Divination.

"I don't think you need to go there every day, dear," said Hermione's mum. "Harry, why don't you come here every other day?"

"Sure," said Harry.

"Of course it doesn't matter where we meet at, just as long as meet every day," said Hermione.

"Then it's settled," said Sirius. "I'd also like to invite all of you to dinner at our house tomorrow. I can apparate at about noon to pick Hermione up, and you all can come over at five. I'd also like to see about putting you on the Potter floo network." Sirius turned to Harry. "I seem to remember something about being able to set up fireplaces that could floo to and from Potter Manor and nowhere else. I'd like to ask that painting, Joseph or Joshua or…"

"Julius?" supplied Harry.

"Yes, Julius Potter, your ancestor from long ago. I guess you've met him."

"Yeah, and I set up my security with him, which reminds me, I'll have to tell him to allow you in the house."

"Yes," said Sirius, "That would be helpful."

"Adam, Marissa," said Harry, turning his attention on Hermione's parents. "How have you been doing with that book Hermione sent you?"

"Well," said Mrs. Granger. "We've read it, and have tried building the walls like the book says, but it's hard to tell how we're doing without anyone to test us."

Hermione then turned to her mother. "Would you like me to test you now, so we know where we stand?"

She looked apprehensive. "I guess we'll have to have someone test us, and I'd rather it be you." Her father nodded in agreement.

"Ok," said Hermione. "Mum, I'll try you first. Look me in the eyes." They looked each other in the eyes for about five minutes. Both their faces appeared to concentrate more and more until finally Hermione ended it and spoke. "You did very well mum! I had to do almost a full power assault before I could get through. With more practice, I believe you'll be able to completely keep me or anyone else out of your mind. Dad, are you ready?" Her father nodded his head, and the same thing happened. He was at the same level as his wife.

When they were done, Sirius said questioningly, "You're studying Occlumency?"

"Yes," answered Hermione. "Harry and I have already learned both that and Legilimency."

"That's a bit surprising at your age, but I didn't know muggles could learn it."

"Muggles can learn Occlumency, but not Legilimency," said Harry knowledgably. "We found a book on it in the Potter library."

-

Sirius and Harry arrived outside of Potter Manor about a half hour after that. Once Harry had told Sirius the address, he was able to apparate them outside the place, and the gate opened immediately for Harry.

"Er, Sirius," said Harry.

"Yeah pup."

"Because of the security arrangements, it would probably be best if you stay close to me so that the doors can't close you out."

"Ok," said Sirius, chuckling. "But as soon as we get in there I want you to tell Julius to let me in."

"Sure thing."

"You know," said Sirius, looking around. "I'd forgotten just how beautiful this place is, even when it's getting dark."

"Yeah," said Harry, with a smile on his face, "it really is. I'd love to spend all night exploring the grounds, but unfortunately, I have a lot of reading to do tonight, so if you don't mind, I'd like to hurry up and set the security so I can get to it."

"I understand pup," said Sirius. "You're trying to learn a year's worth of material in three weeks. Your mum would really be proud of you for that. She was always a dedicated student."

Harry smiled, "Like Hermione?"

Sirius chuckled, "Yep, just like Hermione."

As they approached the door to the mansion, it opened right up, and Harry let Sirius walk in ahead of him.

As he entered in, he saw Dobby appear right in front of Sirius Black and bow to the ground. "What friend of the great Harry Potter does Dobby have the privilege of addressing, sir?"

"Well Dobby," said Sirius with a grin, "My name is Sirius Black."

"Sirius Black?" Dobby shrieked, "No, you is the escaped murderer who wants to kill Harry Potter! Dobby will not let you…"

"It's alright, Dobby," said Harry, chuckling, "honestly. Sirius Black was innocent! He was cleared of all charges yesterday. Peter Pettigrew was the traitor. He faked his death and framed Sirius, but Sirius caught him and proved his innocence."

"But, unfortunately Dobby," said Sirius, "The traitor escaped the ministry today. I want you to keep an eye out for him in case he decides to attack Harry. Pettigrew can turn into a rat, so you need to keep a close eye out."

"Dobby will protect Harry Potter with his very life!" declared Dobby proudly.

"I'm glad to hear it," said Sirius. "By the way, I'm going to be living here now as Harry's guardian."

"Yes," said Harry. "He's my godfather."

"Tomorrow morning, I think I'll go to the ministry to fill out the parchmentwork to make it legal," said Sirius. "For now, I believe Julius' portrait is in the library."

They walked straight to the library and right to the painting. Harry noticed Sirius do a double-take as they passed the computer. "Wasn't that muggle machine on the fifth floor?"

"Yes," said Harry, still walking, "but I replaced it with a better one and moved this here. It can still be useful."

"Maybe you can show me how sometime," said Sirius. "Once you've passed your arithmancy test. I'd also like you to consider training as an animagus."

Harry brightened up, "You'd do that?"

"Of course," said Sirius, obviously glad of Harry's reaction.

"Would you train Hermione too if she wants?"

"Naturally. Otherwise we couldn't let her join the Marauders, could we?"

Whatever response Harry had was interrupted by the voice of Julius Potter. "Harry, it's good to see you again!"

"It's good to see you too, Julius. May I introduce you to my godfather, Sir…"

"Sirius Black?" said the portrait with a frightened look on his face. "But I'd heard you…"

"He's been cleared of all charges," said Harry. After a brief explanation about Wormtail's treachery, Harry said, "Now he's going to live here, and I need to change my security settings."

"Naturally," said Julius. "I assume you want the doors to open for him, the floo to allow him through the fireplace, and the wards to allow him to apparate in the living room, which by the way is the only place anyone can apparate in this house. That way, even if someone manages somehow to get through the ward, there's more warning than if he got in your bedroom while you were sleeping."

"Yes," said Harry importantly, "Allow him full clearance."

"What about Moony?" asked Sirius. "I'd like him to be able to visit freely."

Harry said, "Alright. Should I give him full clearance?"

"Yes," said Sirius, "On second thought, no. Let him floo or apparate. If he comes to the door, we should be able to answer it for him."

"Ok," said Harry. "Any particular reason why?"

"Well," said Sirius, "I'm not sure how the security system would perceive the werewolf if he ever got loose. I know the werewolf can't apparate or floo, but what if he ran into the house?"

"Well," said Harry, "I guess you've got a point. Julius, give Remus Lupin floo and apparition clearance."

"Done," said the portrait. "Anything else?"

"Yes," said Harry. "Sirius mentioned something to me about being able to set a fireplace that could only floo here and back, that wouldn't be part of the regular floo network."

"Yes," said Julius. "May I assume you would like to do that at Miss Granger's house?" he asked with a wink.

"Yes," said Harry, slightly blushing.

"All you'll have to do, no, Sirius will have to do it because of the age restrictions. Sirius, while holding Harry's hand, point your wand at their fireplace and say the incantation." After Julius had recited a complex Latin spell, and made Sirius repeat it until he said it perfectly, he explained how they'd know if they were successful. "Their fireplace will glow green for a few seconds if it works. Then it will work as a normal floo, except only to this house. To come here, they'll say, `Diagon Lily' which by the way Sirius is the new password. To leave from here, they'll say, `Granger Residence.' You may want to bring them a supply of floo powder. I believe that James and Lily kept an ample supply in a cabinet near the fireplace."

"Thank you very much, Julius," said Harry. "I believe that's all for now. I have a book I need to memorize. I'll see you later."

"Hopefully sooner than later," said Julius.

As Harry and Sirius were walking out of the library, Sirius said, "I'll find that extra floo powder, and tomorrow we'll go to the Grangers' house together to set up their fireplace.

"All right," said Harry. "For now, I'll be reading in my room."

-

Sirius found about a year's supply of floo powder in one of the cabinets, so he set aside one container to bring to the Grangers when he Harry would apparate there the next day. When Harry woke up the next morning and went down to breakfast, Sirius was nowhere to be found. Dobby popped into the dining room and said, "Is the great Harry Potter ready for breakfast?"

"Er, yes Dobby, that sounds good," he said. Dobby snapped his fingers, and a plate filled with pancakes, sausages, bacon, and eggs appeared in front of him, along with silverware and a glass of pumpkin juice. "Wow, that's great," said Harry, who didn't believe he'd ever get used to being served like this at home.

"Dobby is pleased to serve, sir."

"Dobby," said Harry, "Do you know where Sirius is?"

"Of course sir, Sirius is giving Dobby a message for Master Harry. Sirius is going to the Ministry of Magic to apply to be Harry Potter's legal guardian."

"Of course," said Harry, putting his hand on his forehead. "He mentioned that yesterday. I might as well eat breakfast and reread chapter one."

At about 11:30, Harry was just finishing the last page of chapter one when he heard Sirius' voice downstairs calling his name. "I'll be down there in a few minutes," he called as he read the last paragraph."

Five minutes later, he walked down the stairs to see Sirius sitting on a couch with a smile on his face, holding a piece of paper in his hand. "Hi Sirius," Harry said to his godfather. "How'd it go?"

"It went great," said Sirius. "There's just a few formalities that have to be done. I need the Dursleys to fill out this form, relinquishing their guardianship…"

"They should be happy to do that," said Harry.

"And then they'll arrange a court date where you have to appear and say you want me to be your guardian."

"Ok. When do we see the Dursleys?"

"I was hoping to do that tonight after dinner. Do you think we should call first?"

"If we did, they'd make sure they're not there. I say we just apparate outside their house and knock on the door," Harry said with a smile.

Sirius grinned back. "Unannounced it is. For now though, it's time to pick up Hermione." He grabbed the floo powder, and then Harry's hand. Together, they disappeared with a pop.

They reappeared in the Grangers' back yard (that had a privacy fence) and knocked at the back door.

"Harry," said Hermione with a smile on her face as she hugged him. "What are you doing here? I thought just Sirius was coming."

"Well I was," said Sirius, "but we found out how to put your fireplace on the Potter Manor floo network, and Harry had to be here to help."

"Really?" asked Hermione excitedly. "I know you mentioned the Potter Floo Network, but muggle houses aren't allowed on the floo network."

"Yeah really," said Harry. "You won't be on the regular floo network. You guys will only be able to floo to my house and back." Then Harry looked thoughtful for a moment, and then smiled. "Actually, I guess you could floo from here to my house, and then from my house to anywhere else."

"So may we come in?" asked Sirius.

"Of course! My parents are at work right now. I'll call them when we get to your house so they don't drive all the way to your house for dinner!"

They performed the spell on the Grangers' fireplace exactly as they were told, and it glowed green while Hermione squealed with joy, much to Harry and Sirius' amusement. Hermione and then Harry flooed to Potter Manor (using the password, `Diagon Lily') and Sirius apparated. Hermione immediately raced to the fifth floor to use the telephone. When she came back downstairs she said, "My parents are a bit nervous about flooing, so they asked me to floo back home when it's about time for dinner, and then show them how it's done."

Harry chuckled, "At least they can't accidentally end up somewhere else."

"Anyway," said Hermione. "I think it's about time we started talking about Arithmancy."

Hermione was pleased at how much Harry had remembered, to which he responded, "What do you expect after reading the chapter twice within twenty-four hours."

"That's the point, Harry," she said.

Harry said, "I know, Mine," and then stole a quick kiss.

After she was sure he knew the material, she said, "You've done a great job studying chapter one. How do you want to spend the rest of the afternoon?" she said suggestively

He smiled shyly. "I think we can think of something, Mine." He then pressed his lips to hers.

A few hours later, Hermione flooed out of the manor to meet her parents, and Dobby started preparing for dinner. Before long Mr. and Mrs. Granger fell to the floor of the living room after arriving in the fireplace. They were quickly followed by Hermione, who smirked at her parents.

After a pleasant dinner, the Grangers all left via the fireplace, and it was time for Harry and Sirius to visit the Dursleys.

They apparated to an empty alley, and walked from there. When they arrived at Number Four Privet Drive at 7:55 p.m., Sirius Black knocked on the door.

The door opened, revealing Vernon Dursley in all his bulk. Upon seeing Harry, his face began turning purple.

"DON'T. TELL. ME. YOU'RE. LEAVING. THAT. FREAK. HERE. AGAIN?" he yelled, forgetting about what his neighbors thought.

"No," said Sirius calmly. "I'd never leave Harry with you again. We simply need you to fill out a form relinquishing your custody of Harry to me."

Vernon calmed down a bit. His face was now pink instead of purple. "Well then, in that case, you can come in, but just long enough for me to fill out your bloody form."

They walked inside the house, and Harry could hear Petunia gasp while Dudley asked, "What's HE doing here?"

"We'll go to the kitchen table so we can lean on it," said Vernon coldly. "Does Petunia need to sign the bloody form as well?"

"Yes," said Sirius, equally coldly. "By the way, did Harry leave anything of his here when he left last year?"

"There's a box in the cupboard," said Petunia, who had joined them when she was mentioned. Harry walked away to retrieve the box. "What's going on, Vernon?"

"Just a bloody form to fill out to get rid of the freak for good," said Vernon.

"For good?" asked Petunia, while Vernon began filling out the form.

"Yes, for good," hissed Sirius. "He'll never be subjected to your abuse and neglect again."

"I'll be right back," said Petunia, leaving the kitchen.

Harry came back into the kitchen carrying a small box. "This is all the rest of my stuff."

"That looks like it's done," said Vernon Dursley, ignoring Harry, "All that's needed is for Petunia to sign it." He then turned to Sirius. "It will be valid in the normal world, won't it? I don't want the police coming around asking about this freak!"

"Don't worry Dursley," hissed Sirius, "No one will ever look for Harry here again!"

At that moment Petunia entered the kitchen, carrying a box even smaller than the one Harry was already holding. It looked like an old shoebox. She turned to Harry and said, "This belonged to Lily. I think you should have it," and put the box into to one Harry was already holding. Then she turned to her husband. "Vernon, where do I sign?"

She quickly signed the form, and then Harry and Sirius left. When they got back to the manor, Sirius said, "Well, that went better than I thought it would. I'll turn in the form first thing tomorrow and they'll schedule us a court date. Are you gonna look through your stuff?"

Harry sighed, "I don't have time for that right now. I've got to study Arithmancy. I'll put it in my room and look through it after I've taken my test. Goodnight Sirius."

A week later, Harry was in the Potter library being tested by Hermione on chapter seven of the Arithmancy book at Potter Manor. Their court date was set for July 17th at 10 a.m. Harry was getting tired of his study schedule, but was determined to pass his Arithmancy test. He found that it wasn't nearly as hard as it looked, and Hermione was a very patient tutor, answering any questions he had. He had just correctly answered the last question from the end of the chapter when two owls from Hogwarts flew in through an open window that had been charmed to stop anything but owls from getting through. One went to Hermione while the other went to Harry. They both took the packages off of the owls. Hermione's owl flew away, while Harry's seemed to be waiting for something. Harry opened his envelope and pulled out two pieces of parchment. The first one was his grades, which he temporarily put to the side. The other was a letter from McGonagall. It said,

"Dear Mr. Potter,

Professor Vector has agreed to give you the Arithmancy placement test at Hogwarts on July 16th at two o'clock. Will that be acceptable to you? Please send a response to me with this owl.

Sincerely,

Professor McGonagall,

Deputy Headmistress

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

P.S. Congratulations on your grades. You were second in your class, only behind Miss Granger."

He then immediately looked at his grades, where he had received `Outstandings' in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Care of Magical Creatures, Transfiguration, Charms, History of Magic (Hermione taught him that), Astronomy, and Herbology. He surprisingly received "Exceeds Expectations" in Divination (he figured that surviving exceeded Trelawney's expectations, besides, he'd been right in his `prophesy' about Buckbeak, and that had to count for something). He received an "Acceptable" in Potions, which was actually the best grade he'd ever gotten in that course. He switched grades with Hermione to find that she had "Outstandings" in everything except potions. She got an "Exceeds Expectations" in potions. She pleasantly said, "Probably because I'm dating you!" when Harry commented on it.

"I'd say it's time to send our petition to Professor Dumbledore," said Harry.

"Absolutely!" said Hermione, and they got their petition from Harry's room, tied it to Hedwig's leg, and sent her to fly it to Professor Dumbledore.

-

Please review.

-->