Unofficial Portkey Archive

More Important Than Any Broomstick by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

More Important Than Any Broomstick

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

More Important Than Any Broomstick - Chapter 38 - Christmas Presents

The weeks that followed were chaotic at the ministry, as they were dealing with the leadership difficulties. A few days after Fudge and Umbridge were arrested, their `newspaper' closed due to the fact that almost everyone had cancelled their subscription. At Hogwarts, Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle were the only people that were receiving the Ministry Chronicle when it failed. The Potter Press covered the trial of Fudge, wherein he refused to provide memories or drink veritaserum during questioning, while all the witnesses against him did. The same thing happened to Umbridge. In the end, Fudge was sentenced to ten years in Azkaban while Umbridge was sentenced to five. Amelia Bones became acting Minister of Magic until elections could be held at the end of January.

Training progressed for the quartet. Both Neville and Ginny were able to conjure a patronus before the term ended. Neville's was a toad and Ginny's was a cat. Neville was embarrassed by his patronus, but was reassured that it would do the same job as a dragon patronus.

A Yule Ball was announced, and Harry was informed that the champions and their dates would be the first people dancing at the event. Harry had no problem getting Hermione to be his date, and he soon found out Neville was going with Ginny. Hermione insisted that she teach Harry how to dance so that they don't look like idiots during the ball.

After the first dancing lesson, Hermione's feet had to be soaked in a yellow solution of strained and pickled murtlap tentacles because of how much Harry had stepped on them. She still insisted on continuing the lessons, and by Christmas, she was confident that Harry would dance fine.

-

On Christmas morning Dobby popped from the manor to Hogwarts to visit Harry, Sirius, Remus, and Hermione. He first stopped by Harry's bed, waking him up, and gave him a present - a pair of socks. One of them had a pattern of snitches and brooms; the other had a pattern of newspapers.

Dobby said, "Dobby is thanking Harry Potter sir for sending Dobby his present," Dobby started crying, "Never before has Dobby received a Christmas present from a wizard! Harry Potter has given Dobby a full set of clothes, and Winky is being grateful as well for the present you is giving her, but she is crying too much. She is never receiving a Christmas present from Mr. Crouch, and is feeling guilty for believing that Harry Potter is being a better master than Mr. Crouch. Dobby is grateful for his presents, but the store is cheating Harry Potter. Both socks is being the same."

Neville, who heard the conversation, said, "That's all right Dobby. I'll give you another pair of socks, so you can switch them and have two pairs."

"Dobby is knowing that you must be a great wizard for being friends with Harry Potter, but Dobby is not knowing you is being almost as kind as his master," said the elf, with tears in his eyes.

-

Harry had received some nice presents from several people, but what stood out the most for him was what he received from the Granger family. Adam and Marissa had sent him some action movie DVDs to watch on his laptop. Hermione had given him an obviously expensive silver watch that had a normal time display on its face, but it could be opened up to show a miniature version of Mrs. Weasley's clock, and already had hands for Hermione and her parents on it. He briefly looked at the instructions and noticed that the watch's alarm goes off if one of the hands goes to mortal peril. He also noted that the watch is charmed to be unbreakable (even unscratchable) and waterproof.

He put on his new socks, Weasley jumper, and watch (along with other appropriate clothes such as pants), and walked downstairs. Before he got all the way down the stairs, he was greeted by Hermione with an affectionate kiss. When they separated, Harry happily said, "Happy Christmas, Hermione! Thanks for the watch! I'll have to call up your parents and thank them for their gift."

At that moment, Fred and George approached Harry and Hermione, looking overwhelmed. "Happy…" said Fred.

"Christmas," said George.

"We've just received."

"A cell phone to charm."

"From what must be."

"Every muggleborn witch and wizard."

"On the continent."

"We would really appreciate it."

"If you'd sell us the charm."

"For them."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and grinned. Hermione took a deep breath. "Ok, we'll make a contract like last time. You may want Lee here for this."

"We'll also help you for a few hours if you like," said Harry, "but only a few."

-

Exactly two hours later, Harry and Hermione left the common room for a walk around the grounds. Hermione said, "I didn't get the chance to thank you for the pensieve. I know it must have been expensive. How did you know that I've always wanted one?"

Harry shrugged. "Well, I thought that someone as brilliant as you, who knows so much about so many things, probably would want one of those."

Hermione blushed. "Th-Thank you, Harry. But I'm not so brilliant. I just…"

Harry put his right index finger on her lips. "You are brilliant. End of discussion." He then removed his finger and proceeded to kiss her thoroughly.

-

Harry thought he would pass out when he saw how beautiful Hermione looked as she descended the stairs into the common room for the Yule Ball. He walked up to her and took her hand. "You-You look even more beautiful than ever," he stuttered, "I-I, er, didn't think that was possible."

Her smile made him feel very light-headed. "Thanks Harry. You look very nice yourself." Harry was wearing dark green dress robes that matched his eyes, and Hermione was wearing an elegant gown that matched his robes.

At that moment, a very miserable-looking Ron walked slowly down the stairs in ugly dress-robes that Harry felt should be burned. "You'd think mum would send me nice robes with all the money she's making at the newspaper, but NOOOO! She wants to save it up for a bloody new set of furniture at the Burrow! I told her I'd keep my old bed if I could have decent robes, but she said I needed a new bed the same as everyone else! She says next year I can get new clothes!"

"Well," said Hermione, obviously trying hard not to laugh at Ron's purple robes, which now matched his face, "You'll have to make the best of things, I suppose. I never asked you who your date is."

Ron looked down and muttered something unintelligible. Before Hermione could question what he'd said, Ginny came walking down the stairs to be greeted by Neville. Harry smiled and said, "Ginny, you look really nice. Doesn't she Ron?"

Ron looked at Ginny's brand-new-looking amber gown in shock. "Where'd you get that dress?" he asked accusingly.

"I ordered material with money mum sent me. What are you doing here? I thought the dance was for only fourth years and above. You're in third year. Did you get a date with a fourth year Slytherin or something? I know you didn't get a Gryffindor girl from my year to go with you."

Ron looked down and said angrily, "McGonagall said that I could go because I was old enough and my grades were pretty good, even though I'm in third year, and NO, alright! I didn't get a date!"

"That's fine," said Harry, "I'm sure lots of girls will dance with you." Harry had his fingers crossed as he made that last statement.

-

When they arrived at the Great Hall, Harry and Hermione were led up to the round table where the champions and partners were to sit, along with the judges of the tournament. Viktor Krum silently glared at Hermione, until he saw her and Harry start to chuckle at him. Percy immediately joined them, bragging about his promotion, and how wonderful Mr. Crouch is. Hermione interrupted Percy. "Mr. Crouch is a mean, heartless man who put Sirius Black in Azkaban without a trial, tried to hex your brother, mistreats his house elves, and wears a moustache that makes him look like Adolf Hitler!"

Percy flinched at the way Hermione put down his idol. He raised his voice just a bit. "Mr. Crouch has had a distinguished career and is worthy of respect, Miss Granger!"

"Actually Mr. Weasley," said Dumbledore, who was sitting nearby, "I believe you are the only person in the wizarding world who believes that. Before Voldemort was vanquished, Mr. Crouch was as cruel as Death Eaters, giving aurors the right to use unforgivable curses. His career plummeted and he lost most people's respect when his own son turned out to be a Death Eater. After he disowned his son and sent him to Azkaban, many felt he should have left the Ministry completely instead of just being demoted. The only reason he hasn't been fired is because they can't find a specific reason to fire him.

Percy stared at Dumbledore in utter shock. "Mr. Crouch's son is, is a Death Eater?"

"Was a Death Eater. I'm afraid he died in Azkaban several years ago, not long after he was put there."

Percy looked down at the table. "Well, with Mr. Fudge and Ms. Umbridge disgraced, and now this, who can I believe in?"

Albus looked Percy in the eye. "Don't just blindly trust anybody. The reason Mr. Potter bought the Daily Prophet was because we couldn't trust what was in the newspaper. That's the whole point of their story verification system. Just because someone is in authority doesn't make them right all the time. I'm headmaster here, but I've made my share of blunders. The former Minister of Magic did much worse than just make blunders. There were several people who blindly trusted him. You need to trust your own sense of right and wrong, and find out the facts before taking anybody's side. You have to have the courage to do what's right, no matter who is against you."

At that moment, the Weird Sisters trooped onto the stage, so Harry turned to Hermione and said, "May I have this dance?"

"Absolutely," she said.

They walked onto the brightly lit dance floor and began waltzing, just as they'd practiced. Before anybody beside the champions had joined, Harry whispered, "Watch Viktor."

At that moment, Krum clumsily tripped on his partner's feet, causing them both to fall on the floor. Several people laughed. Hermione hissed, "You shouldn't have done that. He's been punished enough!"

"Not by me! He attacked my girlfriend and I never got him back for it. I figure I should at least be able to have a little fun with him."

"Well, I suppose," said Hermione with a smirk.

As they chuckled softly he noticed Sirius nod at him with a broad grin as he and Adrianna Brooks walked onto the dance floor. After several dances, they took a break and got some punch. They noticed Ron sitting at a table alone looking miserable. "Maybe we can talk Ginny into dancing with him," suggested Harry.

Hermione chuckled, "That's so mean. But I don't think she's available anyway."

Hermione pointed toward a door where Harry saw Neville and Ginny walking hand in hand, `either to talk or snog - or both,' thought Harry. "Maybe McGonagall will dance with him," Harry said, earning a slap in the arm from his girlfriend.

"Maybe I should dance with him," suggested Hermione. "Would it bother you, Hero?"

Harry took a deep breath. "Well Mine, truthfully I'd love to keep you to myself all evening, but if you think you should dance with Ron, I won't stop you."

She squeezed Harry's hand. "If you want, you can find a partner for the next dance while I ask Ron." She kissed his cheek and walked toward Ron.

Harry looked around thinking, `Who do I want to dance with…besides Hermione?'

He saw a redhead from Hufflepuff he recognized as Susan Bones sitting alone crying. He decided to walk up to her. "Er, hi Susan. Are you alright?"

She looked up for a second and then started wiping her eyes. "Oh, well, I've got a cold. Where's Hermione Granger?"

Harry said, "Ron Weasley couldn't find a date so she wanted to try to cheer him up by dancing one song with him. She suggested I find a partner for this dance. What do you say? Would you like to dance?" He held out his hand to her.

She smiled and took his hand. "I'd love to." They walked to the dance floor and began waltzing.

"You're very good at this," Harry said after about fifteen seconds.

"Thanks," Susan said.

"Now, tell me what's really bothering you. I know you don't have a cold."

She kept dancing, but looked down. "I found out that the boy I came with wanted me to get my auntie to do his family a favor."

Harry was confused for a second until it clicked. "Amelia Bones?" Susan nodded.

"I can't believe it. I thought he liked me for me, not my family."

Harry half-smiled. "Welcome to my world."

She looked up at the Boy-Who-Lived and realized what he meant. "That must be awful to have so many people wanting to meet you all the time!"

He nodded his head. "I'm getting used to it now, but I'll never forget the first time I stepped into the Leaky Cauldron. Everybody stopped what they were doing and started shaking my hand. The first time I rode the Hogwarts Express, Draco Malfoy tried to make friends with me. It still hasn't stopped. Do you know about twelve different girls asked me to the ball even though I'm dating Hermione?"

Susan chuckled. "Only twelve? You must be losing your touch."

"Maybe so. Anyway, I've learned to be very careful about who I trust."

"I guess I need to do that too, huh?" asked Susan.

"Yeah, I guess so. Do you think you could do me a favor and ask Ron to dance after this song?"

Susan looked at Ron and Hermione on the dance floor. "What is he doing in those ghastly robes?"

Harry chuckled. "He hates them too. Just, as a personal favor to me, dance with him one time?"

"Oh, all right. How could I say no to the Boy-Who-Lived?" They finished the song and Susan kissed Harry on the cheek saying, "Thanks for understanding."

Harry said, "You're welcome," and walked toward Hermione with Susan following. He asked Hermione, "May I have this dance?" and she took his hand and started dancing.

Hermione smiled at Harry. "I noticed Susan kissing you on the cheek. Should I be worried?"

Harry paled, "No, I swear, you have nothing to worry about, Mine. I'm in love with you."

Hermione giggled slightly. "I know, Hero. I also noticed she was crying before you walked up to her and now she's smiling. What was wrong?"

"Whatever git she came with, probably a Slytherin, only asked her here because he wanted to get Amelia Bones to do a favor for his family. She's learning what it's like for people to pretend to like you because of your status instead of personality."

"Something you can relate to a lot." Mine took a deep breath. "You are the nicest guy in the world to help a girl who's not even your date. I'll bet you're the reason she's dancing with Ron right now, too."

"Well, yeah I asked her to. I…"

"You are gonna be snogged out of your mind once this song's over."

He looked at her in surprise. "Not that I'm complaining, but why?"

"For being so caring. In one dance, you helped two people who really aren't close friends with you. And you think it's the normal thing to do. Oh, by the way, her date wasn't a Slytherin. He's a boy from Ravenclaw named Michael something."

Once the song ended, Hermione practically dragged Harry out of the Great Hall and behind a bush, where she started kissing him passionately. However, just a few seconds after they started kissing, they felt the personal ward that said a Death Eater was near. They separated. Harry whispered, "It might be Karkaroff. Put up a shield anyway."

"No, he's too far away. Someone is…"

"Crucio!" came a voice Harry was really getting sick of. Both Hero and Mine dived without looking to see who it was aimed at. Once Harry saw Snape, he reached one hand toward his wand for show as Snape's new wand floated out of his hand. "Get her!" shouted Snape, distracting Harry from the greasy git long enough for Snape to portkey away.

Harry counted eight others that Hermione was beginning to struggle with so he joined her. He then noticed other people firing at the attackers. Within a minute, all eight of them were down. Harry glanced to see who was helping, and was pleased to see it was Neville and Ginny. He also noticed that they had an audience, and was glad he'd been holding his wand. He also noted that Hermione was holding hers. "Are you all right, Hermione?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm fine."

At that moment, Sirius, Lupin, Brooks, and Dumbledore burst through the doors brandishing their wands. Harry held back his laughter. "Er, guys, I mean, professors, you're a bit too late for the fun. You could dispose of these people though. I don't think they're actually Death Eaters. Snape came with them, but he escaped again. You really need to do something about the security here. You can't even sneak off for a good snog without getting attacked!" At that point, almost everyone there started laughing hysterically. Even Dumbledore looked amused. Sirius, Remus, and Adrianna were doing a very poor job of holding back their laughter. Only McGonagall, who'd followed them, looked unhappy, although Harry could swear he saw laughter in her eyes.

Hermione then said loudly in a very serious tone of voice, "We should stick to broom cupboards from now on," causing the old Marauders, along with Adrianna, to lose control and join in the laughter.

Just as the laughter started dying down, Ron came out holding Susan's hand and asked, "What happened?"

Harry made sure this attack was covered in the next day's Potter Press, and included both his and Hermione's quotes about snogging near the end. The article wasn't downing Hogwarts, just reporting the facts, mentioning the new wards that were the reason teachers arrived so quickly. After they'd been questioned under Veritaserum, it turned out that the eight captured attackers had been put under the Imperius Curse by Snape, so they were released. Neville and Ginny were highly praised in the article, which included an interview with Potter, Granger, Weasley, and Longbottom.

As Harry placed the new wand he'd taken from Snape into his trunk, he said, "At least Snape gave me a Christmas present."

-

Thanks to all who review.

-->