Unofficial Portkey Archive

More Important Than Any Broomstick by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

More Important Than Any Broomstick

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

More Important Than Any Broomstick - Chapter 11 - Petitions, Trials, and Tests

Time passed very swiftly after they received their grades. About a week after they sent the petition, he'd gotten a letter from Dumbledore requesting a meeting immediately following his arithmancy test. Harry kept up with his study schedule, and Hermione was very pleased with how well he was doing. She informed him that her parents had both fully mastered occlumency the day before Harry's test when he'd completed Hermione's practice test with a perfect score. Later that day, Hermione finally decided on Harry's nickname. She'd been telling Sirius all about Harry's exploits over his first few years of Hogwarts, much to Harry's discomfort. After she'd talked about the Chamber of Secrets, Sirius said, "Wow Harry, you are a regular hero!"

After Sirius had left for a few minutes, Hermione turned to Harry. "Hero. That is the perfect nickname for you."

"No," said Harry, whose ears were turning pink. "I'm just not…"

"You made up whatever nickname you wanted, so I get to do the same, Hero," she said, and then stuck out her tongue."

"Fine, Mine," said Harry. "But remember, you can only use that name when we're alone."

"Like now, Hero."

Harry grinned, "On the seventh Sunday of every month."

"Whatever, Hero. I know you're going to get a perfect score on the test tomorrow."

Harry sighed. "I hope I'll pass, anyway."

"You'll do more than pass, Harry. And I'm going with you to Hogwarts to cheer you on."

Harry winked. "I think you just want to crash my meeting with Dumbledore."

Hermione turned a bit pink. "I'm coming to support you taking the test," she said firmly. "But I did hope to help you in your meeting afterward, but if you don't want…"

"Of course I want you there, Mine!" said Harry. "You can stop me from losing my temper if Dumbledore aggravates me. Besides, you know a lot more stuff to use to win an argument."

"You did just fine in your last argument, Hero. But I'll certainly help if I can."

-

Before he knew it, Harry found himself in the Great Hall at Hogwarts with Sirius and Hermione, about a half hour early for his test.

"Don't be nervous," said his girlfriend. "You know that information backward and forward."

"I'm not, Hold on. Look over there."

Hermione turned where he was pointing, and saw a familiar red-haired girl standing with her red-haired mother. "Let's go and say hello," said Hermione, grabbing Harry's hand.

"Hello Mrs. Weasley, Ginny," said Harry when they got to them.

"Oh, hello Harry dear, Hermione," said Mrs. Weasley.

"Hi guys," said Ginny.

"And who is this gentleman with you?" asked Molly Weasley.

"I'm Harry's godfather, Sirius Black," Sirius said, extending his hand to shake Molly's.

"S-Sirius Black?" she asked.

"Yes, I'm sure you've read in the Daily Prophet that I was cleared of all charges once it came out that Peter Pettigrew framed me.

"Y-Yes, I read that. I'm sorry," she said. "I was just a bit startled to see you." She finally took Sirius' hand and shook it. "I'm Molly Weasley and this is my daughter Ginny."

"Weasley? Aren't you the family that was kind enough to offer taking Harry and Hermione to the World Cup?"

"Yes we were. My husband is working on getting the tickets."

"If you don't mind, could you ask him to get one for me too? I'd be glad to pay for it, and Harry's too if you like. I should be his legal guardian by then."

"His guardian? You're adopting Harry? What about those muggles, the Dursleys?"

"They never cared about him. They filled out the form to relinquish their rights. Tomorrow at 10, we've got the court date, but that's just a formality."

"What brings you here?" asked Hermione.

"Some wonderful news!" said Mrs. Weasley. "Ginny here was the best in her year, and is going to skip a year, so she'll be in class with you two."

Ginny's ears turned pink. "Only if I pass these tests."

"Of course you'll pass dear," said Mrs. Weasley. "She's been studying Ron's books all summer. She's been taking placement tests for her classes all day. She's done well in all of them so far. She just has a few more to take."

"I'm sure you'll do great, Ginny," said Harry, causing the redhead's face to turn pink.

"Congratulations Ginny!" said Sirius.

"Yeah," said Hermione. "I'm sure you're looking forward to having classes with Ron."

This statement caused Mrs. Weasley to turn pale and look at the ground while Ginny slightly smiled. "Actually," Ginny said, "Ron didn't do so well in his classes, so, er, he has to repeat them."

"It's a disgrace!" said Mrs. Weasley. "I don't know where we went wrong. Bill, Charlie, and Percy did well in school. Ginny's doing even better than them. But Fred, George, and now Ron, just don't take their education seriously! Maybe this will get Ron to start studying."

"What about Fred and George?" asked Harry, curious. He hoped they hadn't failed.

"They hardly got any O.W.L.s," said Ginny. "They're just lucky mum had already gotten the news about Ron, or she would've yelled at them a lot worse. Now they can say that at least they always passed their classes. By the way, why are you here?"

"I, er want to get out of Divination, so I'm taking a placement test for Arithmancy. If I pass, I'll never have to look at another crystal ball again."

"That's the next test I'm taking," said Ginny. "I really had to study hard for this class."

"Harry's been studying all summer, too," said Hermione.

"Hermione's been tutoring me," said Harry. "She's really good at it too."

Hermione blushed. "He's been a really good student."

"Of course," said Ginny. "I'm sure he enjoys your, uh, lessons," she said suggestively, causing both Harry and Hermione to blush while Sirius chuckled.

"Now Ginny," said Mrs. Weasley. "You're embarrassing them. I'm sure that Hermione is a very good tutor, and if you have any good sense at all Ginny, you'll ask her to help you study."

"We'd be glad to study with Ginny if she wants," said Hermione immediately.

"There you see," said Mrs. Weasley. You should be thankful you already have friends that'll be in your new grade."

"I am mother," She then turned to Harry and Hermione. "I would like to study with you, and I promise not to glare at you two like Ron. But please don't turn our study sessions into your snogging sessions." Harry, Hermione, and Mrs. Weasley all blushed at that while Sirius laughed. "Unless of course I have a snogging partner too."

"Ginevra Molly Weasley!" shouted her mother. "Just because you're in a class with older students doesn't mean you're old enough for that!"

Whatever reply Ginny had to this was interrupted by the announcement that the Arithmancy test was about to begin. After everyone wished both Ginny and Harry good luck, they left to take their test. While those two were taking their test, Molly, Hermione, and Sirius chatted. When Hermione asked where Ron was, Mrs. Weasley said, "He's home pouting. If that boy studied as much as he pouts, he'd have been promoted to seventh year by now!" causing the others to have a good laugh at Ron's expense.

About two hours after they'd left, a very exhausted but happy looking Ginny and Harry approached the others. "How'd you do," asked Hermione, Sirius, and Molly at the same time.

"We both got the same score," said Harry, chuckling.

"Ninety-five percent," added Ginny.

"That's wonderful!" squealed Hermione as she threw her arms around Harry.

"Congrats, pup," said Sirius, slapping Harry on the back. "You too, Ginny."

"Thanks," said the redhead girl as her mother released her from a bone-crushing embrace.

"Well," said Harry. "We've got to go now. We've got to talk to Professor Dumbledore about something."

"Is this about…" asked Ginny.

"Yes," said Hermione.

"Well, good luck," said Ginny.

"You too," said Harry, Sirius, and Hermione together as they walked toward Professor Dumbledore's office.

-

"Enter," said the aged professor when he heard a knock at the door. He was surprised to see that Harry wasn't alone. "Hello Harry, Hermione, Sirius. It's good to see you. How have you been this summer?"

"Fine, sir," said Harry.

"I assume you all know what this meeting is about," asked Dumbledore.

"The petition we sent you," said Hermione.

"I must admit I was surprised to see your signature on the petition, Miss Granger. According to our records, you haven't had trouble in any of your classes, although your potions grade did slip a bit."

"That git lowered my grade only because I'm dating Harry, the boy he's absolutely hated for no reason since he set foot in the school!" Hermione burst out, surprising everyone in the room.

"Professor Snape…"

"He's not worthy of that title, sir," said Hermione calmly. "He conducts himself in a completely unprofessional way, as is outlined in our petition, which the vast majority of students has signed."

Dumbledore sighed. "Both Professor Snape and Professor Trelawney, although she doesn't know it, require my protection in relationship to Voldemort and his followers."

The three guests gasped. Harry recovered first. "Just because they need protection does not make them good teachers. You have been subjecting students to a poor level of education in those subjects for over a decade just because those people require protection."

"They wouldn't feel good about themselves if they were doing nothing," argued Dumbledore, now going pink.

"Feel good about themselves!" said Hermione furiously. "Every year Trelawney has repeatedly told one of her students that he or she is going to die! Snape tries to make every student who's not in Slytherin feel worthless and stupid! Not only has he picked on Harry from day one, but he has poor Neville so scared of him, that his Boggart takes on Snape's form! Don't you even care about the students here?"

Dumbledore's face went red. "Of course I care about the students here! They always come first!"

"Then why do you keep a history of magic teacher who does nothing but bore the class to sleep? The only way anybody learns that subject is by reading the book!" said Harry

"Or a Muggle Studies professor who knows nothing about muggles," said Hermione. "Anyone who teaches that class should be muggle-raised! Harry or I could teach that class better than the professor! The sad part is that most people who do well in that class actually believe they know about muggles."

"The quality of education at Hogwarts is at an all time low, Professor Dumbledore," said Sirius, speaking for the first time since entering the office. "And these children, along with everyone who signed that petition, are demanding that you as headmaster do something about it."

"I can't just sack four teachers at the same time," said Dumbledore, frustrated. "Do you know how difficult it is to replace them?"

"I thought the students always came first," said Harry, "or is that just when it's convenient?"

Dumbledore put his head down. "I can't…"

"If you don't, we'll send a copy of the petition to every school governor," said Hermione. "If that doesn't work, we'll send it to the ministry itself. Of course, you know what they'll probably do when they get the petition. Just sack the headmaster and hire someone who cares about the quality of education at Hogwarts."

Harry added, "You'd deserve it too, headmaster."

Dumbledore sighed. "I'll see what I can do."

"No," said Sirius. "You're the headmaster. You can sack them all today! Unless you can prove that they actually are good teachers, contrary to the opinion of the vast majority of their students, that's what you have to do if you want to keep your job."

"You can't threaten me!" said Dumbledore, glaring at Black.

"I'm not threatening you. I'm just telling you what you know will happen." Then Sirius smiled at his former headmaster. "Wouldn't you feel better about yourself if you knew you were giving your students the best possible education the way you used to?"

Dumbledore sighed, defeated. "Yes, I would feel better. I've been wrestling with my conscience since I hired Professors Snape and Trelawney, telling myself it's for the greater good. But the greater good truly is the student's education. As for the other two, I simply haven't had the heart to sack them, but you're right. I've been doing a lot more harm than good. I intend to follow your advice about muggle studies, Miss Granger. I'll try to find someone muggle-raised. Perhaps even a muggle who's aware of us. Someone like your parents, Miss Granger, although as I understand it, they're perfectly content in their careers. Maybe even a squib who lives as a muggle." Professor Dumbledore scratched his chin. He mumbled something like, "…since he's not living there she doesn't need…" and then he said with a grandfatherly smile. "That reminds me, Mr. Potter, for school records; where exactly are you and Sirius living now.

Harry contemplated his answer. He could lie about it, but what would be the point? He assumed Dumbledore would know Sirius was aware of Potter Manor. Besides, knowing the name of the place didn't give away its location. "Potter Manor."

Dumbledore's eyes went wide. "Potter Manor, all right. Could you refresh an old man's memory? What is its address?"

Harry smiled. "I do not wish to allow any records of Potter Manor's location to exist."

"I quite understand, my boy. Especially considering your past…"

While Dumbledore was speaking, Harry felt the familiar tingling sensation of Legilimency. His shields went up immediately, causing Dumbledore to flinch. Harry stood up angrily. "What the hell do you think you're doing probing my mind?!" he shouted.

"Harry?" asked Dumbledore. "You know Occlumency?"

"Yes!" shouted the still angry teenager. "I learned it because Snape was reading my mind! I never thought you were low enough to do it too! Just how many times have you read my mind, sir? What about the other students?"

"I apologize for the invasion of privacy," said Dumbledore, facing angry glares from the three people in front of him. "I merely wanted to put up extra wards to protect it."

"More likely to spy on me."

"Professor," said Hermione. "Potter Manor is extremely well protected, but if there are specific wards you feel should be there, tell us what they are. We'll learn how to put them up."

"Never mind," said the Professor. "You're dismissed."

"All right," said Harry as he was getting up. "We'll be watching the Daily Prophet for news about those teachers. If they're not sacked within a week, we'll do what we said."

-

The next day at 9:45, Harry found himself standing in the visitor center of the Ministry of Magic headquarters. Sirius had apparated there, bringing Harry with him. After they had checked their wands in, a process that Harry found disturbing, they were directed to the elevator, where they ran into Mr. Weasley. "Hello Mr. Weasley," Harry said upon spotting him inside the elevator.

"Oh, hello Harry!" he said, shaking Harry's hand enthusiastically, "How are you?"

"I'm fine. This is…"

"Sirius Black I presume," Arthur said, shaking Sirius' hand. When Sirius nodded, Arthur said, "Molly told me about meeting you yesterday. She also said you were petitioning for custody of Harry today."

"That's right," said Sirius.

"I'm sure you'll have no problem with that now that your name's cleared," he said. "Molly also said you'd like to see the World Cup with us."

Sirius smiled, "Yes, if it's not intruding."

"Not at all," said Mr. Weasley enthusiastically. "But never mind about the cost. If I can get them, they'll be free. You may want to bring some galleons with you for souvenirs, though."

"I will," said Sirius.

"Well," said Arthur, "this is where I get off. Nice seeing you again, Harry, and good meeting you, Sirius."

When they got to their destination, they found that it was a very small room with a desk in the center and a few dozen chairs in the back. The five people in those chairs, who had obviously already witnessed other proceedings in that courtroom today, appeared very bored. However, when they noticed Harry's scar, they immediately began paying close attention.

The judge, a middle-aged woman with long blonde hair that she wore in a pony tail, was already seated at the desk. She was wearing black ministry robes, and Harry noticed her eyes glance at his famous scar for just a moment when they entered before she spoke. "We now begin the case of Sirius Black's request for custody of Harry Potter to be taken from Vernon and Petunia Dursley and given to him. Everyone who is at these proceedings is required to tell the truth. Failure to do so will result in time in Azkaban. This will be an informal hearing. We have the form that the Dursleys, Harry's current guardians, filled out relinquishing their claims on Mr. Potter. Sirius Black, according to our records, as well as the form you submitted, you were one of the Potters' closest friends, and they asked you to be Harry's godfather. Soon after their deaths, you were falsely accused of betraying them, and were sent to Azkaban. You were recently cleared of all former charges, and now wish to accept your responsibility as Harry's godfather. Is this correct?"

"Yes ma'am."

"It also indicates that you have ample resources to care for yourself and Mr. Potter."

"That's also correct."

"Well then, since everything seems to be in order, I just have a few questions for Harry Potter."

"Yes, your honor," said Harry.

"How well do you know Sirius Black?"

"I'd say I know him pretty well. I've been living with him for about a month."

"Do you like living with Sirius Black?"

"Yes."

"Do you want Sirius Black to be your guardian?"

"Yes."

"Then unless anybody here has any objections, I hereby grant legal custody of Harry James Potter to Sirius Black. This hearing is adjurned."

Sirius hugged Harry excitedly, and they left the ministry, stopping by Arthur's office to tell him the good news. When they apparated back to Potter Manor, they found Hermione already waiting there for the news. "Well," she said expectantly.

Sirius glanced at Harry and winked. They both put on sad expressions. Harry said, "The judge mentioned about Sirius spending time in Azkaban."

"She also talked about the Dursleys," said Sirius.

Hermione looked horrified, "She didn't tell you to move back in with them?"

Harry couldn't keep up the charade. With a big smile on his face he said, "No, she granted Sirius custody! I'm free of the Dursleys forever!"

Hermione slapped Harry in the back of the head. "Ouch!" he said. "What was that for?"

"For making me think Sirius didn't get custody." Then her face brightened up and she pulled him into a big hug. "I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to tell my parents when they get back from work! We've got to celebrate! Why don't we use that pavilion of yours and have a picnic? It's a beautiful day!"

"Maybe we can go swimming in my pool too!" said Harry. "Now that I've passed my test I have some time to enjoy myself.

"Ok, I'll have to get my swimsuit. I'll be right back!"

After having Dobby make them a picnic lunch, Harry and Sirius went to their rooms (Sirius insisted that Harry had the master bedroom and he had the one next to it that had the TV) to change into swimwear and came downstairs. They waited five minutes for Hermione to floo back in her swimsuit that Sirius taunted Harry about liking too much. They went swimming before eating. Sirius conjured a beach ball and a net in the pool, then Harry played Hermione a game of water-volleyball, while Sirius acted as judge to make sure neither cheated with summoning or repelling charms.

When they were finished, they found that Dobby had laid out beach towels for them. After they'd dried out some, they sat under the pavilion and ate lunch. While they were eating, Sirius said, "What do you say tomorrow I take you shopping for those muggle portable computers you want?"

"That sounds perfect!" said Harry.

"I'll just have to tell my parents and find out how much they'll let me spend on mine," said Hermione.

"Harry, did you tell her about what I wanted to teach you guys?"

"Tell me what?" asked Hermione.

"Not yet, Sirius. I was rather busy."

"Tell me what?" asked Hermione again.

"I'd like to start teaching you guys to become animagi," said Sirius.

Hermione's eyes widened. She excitedly said, "Harry, why didn't you tell me sooner? This should be exciting! But what if I don't have a form? How long will it take?"

"Hermione," said Harry, "calm down. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner; I was concentrating on Arithmancy, which you helped me with tremendously. As for the other questions, you'll have to ask Sirius.

"Well, Hermione," said Sirius, "It is exciting, but it does take time. Tomorrow I'm gonna give you both a copy of a book I want you to read within the next week, and then we'll talk about it. I'd be very surprised if you don't have an animal form. I'd estimate that we'll find that out by Christmas, and that within a year from now you should both be able to transform."

"Why so long?" asked Harry.

"Well, for one thing," said Sirius, "You'll have to take a potion that takes four months to brew. I've started it already, but it won't be ready before you go back to school, so you'll take the potion during your Christmas break. After that you'll start the slow process of learning to transform." He then smiled. "You'll have to sneak around Hogwarts to do it. Just remember if you're caught to simply pretend you were snogging." He then winked while Harry and Hermione blushed. "Speaking of which, I think I'll be headed back into the house. I'll leave you two out here to, er, talk. You may want to take a walk around the grounds." He then got up and left.

After spending a few hours with Hermione, kissing, talking about nothing, kissing, walking around the grounds, and kissing, Harry walked into his bedroom to do something he'd wanted to do since he'd last seen the Dursleys. He picked up the box Petunia had given him, that used to belong to his mother, and opened it.

-

Please review.

-->