Unofficial Portkey Archive

Something about You by gryffindor-girl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Something about You

gryffindor-girl

Set after Deathly Hallows, follows canon but disregards The Epilogue (that was all a dream..a bad, bad dream.). My attempt to finish the series HHr x

Summary: It is the evening of Voldemort's demise and Harry discovers that he didn't escape their final confrontation unscathed. He appears to have inherited some of Voldemort's powers, and Hermione is the only one around who can help him. Two thirds of the trio must work by themselves again, but this time, it will push them closer than ever. Features: Hogwarts, flying, school dances, Dumbledore, Snape, funerals, Death Eaters, Legilimency, The Elder Wand, angsty Ginny, angry Ron, powerful Harry and Hermione just being her incredible self. Completed, 12 chapters total, with a short epilogue.

Disclaimer; JK Rowling owns these fantastic characters and the HP universe; I'm just borrowing for fun and to satisfy that unscratched Harmony itch. No copyright infringement intended etc.

Chapter 1

By my side

The echo of her slow footsteps was the only sound in the hollow halls of the school as Hermione made her way through the familiar passages that would take her to the seventh floor, and Gryffindor Tower.

She was heavy with exhaustion and grief - her mind not even considering any relief she might feel from victory, the scene from the Great Hall was still too fresh in her mind.

She had sat with Ron and the Weasleys for a while until it became obvious to her at least that they should be left alone as a family to take Fred home. Ron protested weakly but she knew it was right. She'd left the Great Hall straight away, staying just long enough to find Professor McGonagall and request to stay in the Gryffindor dormitory tonight, knowing instinctively it would be the only place she'd feel comfortable.

Besides, she had to find Harry.

He had left her and Ron on the way back from speaking with Dumbledore's portrait, muttering something about Kreacher bringing him a sandwich in the common room. They'd understood that he needed some rest and said their goodbyes but not before Hermione noticed the nervous agitation in Harry's eyes. She looked at him more closely and saw his green eyes were definitely clouded with anxiety, something was up with him. She'd held back from questioning him then, she knew Ron had wanted to get back to the hall, and now, recalling the haunted expression on Harry's face, she sped up a little, eager to track him down.

She entered the passageway to the common room and met with the Fat Lady, joined in her portrait by at least a dozen others who broke into loud cheers and applause at the sight of her. She smiled gratefully as the Fat Lady waved off the need for a password - 'just go in my dear' and stepped through the circular hole, the cheers cutting off only when the portrait was fully closed again.

The common room was deserted and quiet, so unlike how Hermione was used to seeing it. There was a distinct chill in the air so she moved toward the grate to light a fire, as she did, noticing a sandwich with one bite out of it lying abandoned on a low table. She frowned and instinctively called out.

"Harry?"

She moved over to the stairs to the boys' dormitory and called up them but to no answer. Considering asking the Fat Lady if he had come through she moved back towards the portrait hole, only to freeze, hearing the faintest noise.

"Hermione…"

It was a croaky whisper but she thought she recognized it as Harry- and it was in the room with her. She stayed still, peering into the corners of the room and called again.

"Harry? Where are you?"

The voice was slightly stronger this time.

"Help…me…"

Her blood turned cold at the desperation she could clearly hear in it and she whirled around, wildly stretching her arms out to try and find him, calling his name, reaching for the soft fabric of the Invisibility Cloak. Then she stopped for a moment, and for some reason she couldn't explain, found herself turning her gaze slowly upwards.

There, pinned with his back hard against the ceiling, was Harry.

She blinked several times, not fully trusting her eyes. "Harry?"

He drew what appeared to be a painful breath and spoke again.

"Help…me…"

Her shock evaporated and she sprang into action, stepping up onto an armchair in a futile effort to get closer to him.

"Harry… What are you…?" Her frightened voice trailed off as she noted his face turning a shade that indicated he was struggling for air. His eyes were clearly visible, his glasses fallen off, and they were wide and terrified - the only part of his body moving as they darted around in panic.

Hermione's hand dove frantically into her pocket to grab her wand, pointing it up at him, she tried a number of spells and counter curses, all proving equally ineffectual. Panic rising in her chest, she abandoned her wand and reached up with her hand towards him.

"Harry!! Reach out to me…" she called, straining with all her effort to stretch high enough to touch him.

Surprisingly, his arm came away from the ceiling and down, slowly reaching back to her.

Her heart leapt with shock and relief, and then she encouraged him. "That's it, that's it, come to me" she said, both arms reaching out as his other arm came away to reach back.

His eyes registered his own shock and then his concentration, as he focused on her - reaching both arms down, his body very slowly coming away from the roof and descending toward her.

His progress painfully slow, he kept floating down to her outstretched hands until finally their fingertips came into contact, and they both clawed for each other's grip.

Grasping his hands, Hermione pulled him desperately in to her, moving her hands up to his wrists, then his arms, gathering him in. Their eye contact never faltered as they both fought the panicked feeling that she might not be able to hold him, but those fears were allayed as his feet came to rest gently on the armchair, his toes facing hers.

They stood there holding tightly on to each other's arms, both breathing heavily. Finally, Hermione spoke, in barely a whisper; as if afraid anything louder would send him away again.

"Are you okay?"

He nodded, though obviously shaken and together they climbed cautiously down off the chair, not breaking contact. On solid ground again, the relief was tangible, though they still stayed locked tightly together. Hermione looked up at him with a questioning gaze.

"What happened?"

Harry shook his head.

"I…I don't know. I was a feeling a bit strange, but I just sat down to eat" he turned and looked back at the abandoned sandwich, "And then…I just started rising." His hands tightened on her arms at the memory. "And I couldn't stop. It was like I was being pushed through the ceiling" he finished.

Hermione frowned, and then her eyebrows shot up. "Harry! Do you know what this could mean?" she breathed.

He searched her face and then shook his head, she went on.

"You may have…inherited one of…his powers."

The realization dawned slowly on his face as she watched, and she held on to him, steadying him again. "I can…fly?" he asked, his voice incredulous.

"Quite possibly" she said slowly, turning to look at the portrait hole as if gauging the distance. "But I think we should ask Dumbledore." She looked back up at his face. "Do you think you could make it back there?"

He looked towards the hole too and then back at her. "I think so - if you keep hold."

She slipped her arm around his back to hold his waist and pulled his other arm across her shoulders, clutching that hand.

"Come on" she said as she stooped to pick up his glasses from the floor and they moved as one to the portrait hole. The deafening cheers gave them both a fright as they stepped through, neither acknowledging the full portrait as they made their way slowly down the passage towards the Headmasters office again.

At last they reached the damaged stone gargoyle who whimpered weakly in their direction as they passed and found themselves again ascending the moving spiral staircase, pressed tightly to each others side.

Opening the door, their eyes immediately sought the golden framed portrait of Dumbledore. Both their hearts sank as they saw it was empty.

Several other Headmasters had left their frames and still more were asleep now. Armando Dippett woke and turned to them in his frame to sleepily wave and say 'Yes Bravo!" before nodding off again.

Harry hung his head, bitterly disappointed. Then he received a quick squeeze on his hand as Hermione nudged him.

"Harry… Look!"

He looked at her face then followed her gaze to a new portrait that hadn't been there when they visited last, of a sallow skinned, greasy haired wizard.

Professor Severus Snape.

Harry stared unblinking at the portrait; Snape's eyes staring steadily back out at him.

"Sn…Professor Snape?" he asked.

"Harry" Snape's voice intoned as he adjusted his cloak, sitting comfortably in his frame.

"I didn't know… I'm glad you're here." Harry managed.

Snape nodded briefly in reply. His eyes flickered to Hermione then he sat back, obviously waiting for Harry to state his business.

Harry looked down at Hermione who nodded her encouragement up at him from under his arm.

"Uh, Professor, where is Professor Dumbledore?"

"He has gone to his portrait at the Ministry" replied Snape. He considered his next words then appeared to decide upon telling them. "There is some…problem. A few Deatheaters have escaped on their journey to Azkaban" he finished.

Harry's interest was piqued, but Hermione's firm grip around his middle reminded him of his more pressing problem.

"Sir…ah, I, something's happening with me."

"Something always is." Snape remarked dryly, but without malice.

Harry formed the words in his head but tossed them out for sounding ridiculous. Luckily, Hermione spoke for him.

"I think he can fly" she said, matter of fact. "I found him stuck to the ceiling of the common room."

Snape raised his eyebrow a fraction but appeared otherwise unmoved. He sat in thought for a moment before speaking.

"And what piece of charm work did you use to get him here then, Miss Granger?"

Hermione frowned and looked up at Harry. "Well…I didn't - I just sort of reached out for him …and then I've been holding on to him since then."

The pair weren't certain, but something resembling a smile crossed Snape's face for a second, then it was gone. He waited again, choosing his words it seemed.

"Flying is a very complex form of magic, of which I do not have full understanding. I'm afraid the only person who could advise you on that, is Professor Dumbledore."

Harry's voice rose a little in frustration. "Well, how long will he be?"

"I'm sure I don't know, Harry."

Snape's use of his first name seemed to placate Harry a little and he sighed. "I'm sorry, sir. It's just, what do I do until then?"

Snape looked from Hermione to Harry. "As I say, I'm unfamiliar with the intricacies of this magic. I do know that it takes superior mind control" he stated, arching an eyebrow and Harry knew they were both remembering their dismal Occulmency lessons. "Other than that, I recommend that you continue to …hold on." He directed this last comment at Hermione.

They both stared at him dumbstruck as he regarded them calmly. Finally, Hermione broke the silence, addressing Harry.

"I think we should go to the library." Harry turned to look at her, unconvinced, but followed her anyway as she turned them both towards the oak door. Snape stopped them as they reached for the door handle.

"I'll send word when the Professor returns."

They both turned back and Harry nodded his thanks, directing a slight smile at his old nemesis.

"Well… that was …interesting." Hermione commented as they descended staircase.

"Strange to see him again, now, so soon" muttered Harry. They'd stopped at the gargoyle and looked both ways. Hermione came to a decision.

"Look, let's make it to the Library; surely we'll find something there."

He looked down into her hopeful face and decided against telling her he was skeptical. He nodded.

"We should use the cloak- I don't want to be running into anyone right now" he said.

"Good idea" she replied as together they struggled to get the cloak out of his pouch and covering the both of them without breaking contact. Hermione let go of his hand to adjust it over her head and they both gave a startled jump as his feet left the ground for a fraction before she grasped him again. Exchanging a nervous glance they set off to the fourth floor.

They made their way to the Library and Hermione went into study mode, perusing the shelves as fast as she could while still remaining attached to Harry's side. He halfheartedly helped her as she pulled out titles, flicking through them and muttering to herself then replacing them on the shelves. He didn't actually see how anything from a book was going to help him with this particular problem, and despite everything, he was bone tired, and found himself leaning on her a little heavier at times, before pulling himself up and shaking away the tiredness. Noticing this, Hermione selected some books and led him to a table where she set to work leafing through the volumes and he promptly dropped his head on the table and fell asleep, his hand draped around her shoulders and his fingers laced through the hand she wasn't using to turn the pages.

He was nudged gently awake. Hermione was peering at him through tired eyes, his unspoken question answered as she shook her head with a forlorn expression. He closed his eyes again and pushed himself up, opening them to look around the dark library and try to wager how long they'd been there.

"Come on" she said as she helped him to stand. "I'll get a few more from the restricted section and we'll go back up to the common room."

Gratefully he followed her as she grabbed some more books; he tucked them under the spare arm that wasn't around her and they made their way out of the Library and up the Grand staircase. They made sure the cloak still covered them both although they met with no one on the way back, aside from a couple of ghosts, lost in intense conversation as they glided along the hall. The Fat Lady was snoring heavily as they approached the portrait, obviously having indulged in some celebratory beverages, her only reply to Hermione's whispered password a hiccup as she swung open. Relieved to find the room empty, Harry still decided to keep the cloak on. He looked down at Hermione.

She looked up at him with red rimmed eyes and made an effort at a reassuring smile but he knew she was worried. And so was he. But now it was for an entirely different reason.

He'd been considering something on the way up to the common room. How, and where, were they going to sleep? It wasn't as if he was uncomfortable being so close to Hermione, they'd apparated so much under the cloak together that nothing about their nearness felt unusual. But now, here they were, faced with either a sleepless night, or a night sleeping together and his stomach gave an uncomfortable squirm as he conjured a picture of Ron's face in his mind once he found out. Perhaps his thoughts were visible on his face because Hermione volunteered a solution.

"Uh…well, we'll just settle by the fire shall we- I'll stay up and read a bit more anyway I think…" her voice trailed off and he realised she must've been contemplating their situation too.

Harry took in her tired appearance and was overwhelmed with a wave of affection for her- her never-ending loyalty and support of him. He shook his head.

"No, Hermione, your eyeballs are hanging out. You've got to sleep."

She said nothing and lowered her eyes, knowing he was right but not sure where to go from there.

"Look, come on." Harry led them towards the boys' dormitory. Hermione resisted.

"Wait… I can't…"

He stopped and looked at her. "You can come up here, but I can't go into the girls dormitory- remember?" They both recalled the transfigured slide that had appeared when Ron had tried to climb the steps to the girls dorm once before. "You need some sleep, I need some sleep- it's the only place there's room for both of us." She stood still looking at her feet but nodded in agreement. Slightly bemused by her manner he teased her.

"Don't worry, I'll be the perfect gentleman…" he grinned.

That got the desired response as she smiled back, shaking her head. "It's not that, Harry." He knew she meant Ron, but chose not to bring it up, they needed sleep and that was that. They moved together up the stairs, Harry listening out now for any sounds that might indicate they weren't the only lodgers in Gryffindor tonight.

But his dorm room was thankfully empty and he led her over to his bed, laying the books on the bedside table along with his glasses. He stepped on his heel to remove his shoe and Hermione followed suit, taking hers off too. Awkwardly they both made attempts to get onto the bed, not succeeding until Hermione took charge.

"Hang on, lets try something" she said, turning into his chest. "I've got a theory."

They stood facing each other and she slowly removed her arm from around his waist, not letting go of the hand that was draped around her shoulder, but twisting out from under his arm. She held this hand with both of hers for a moment before grasping his other hand and they stood there, tentatively moving away from each other a little.

She smiled to herself. "It works."

She sighed at Harry's confused expression. "Skin contact" she said simply. "As long as we have skin contact, I think you'll be alright."

He took silent stock of the feeling in his body and realised she was right, he felt grounded still, not in danger of floating away again. He grinned at her intelligence. "You're a genius" he said.

She smiled slightly at his compliment and then motioned to the bed; they kept both hands clasped as they knelt onto the bed and lay down next to each other on the roomy mattress. Cautiously they dropped one hand, keeping the hands closest to each other joined, testing the necessity of connection. It seemed sufficient and they relaxed a little, Harry pushing his head gratefully back into his soft pillow. He looked across at his friend.

"You okay?"

She nodded sleepily and turned onto her side to face him, still keeping her fingers interlocked with his. Her eyes had already started to close and he sat up slowly, reaching for the throw blanket at their feet and pulling it up to cover them both. He watched her face soften as she fell to sleep, and pulled the blanket up to her shoulder.

"Thanks, Hermione" he said quietly and she smiled in her sleep. He closed his eyes too and was asleep within the minute.

~*~

[edit] Months after I wrote this story, I realised where the inspiration for this chapter came from…It was the scene in the 80's vampire movie 'The Lost Boys'; where Jason Patric starts turning into a vampire and nearly gets pushed through his bedroom ceiling as he starts to fly. The scene used to be on youtube but has since been removed…downer. But if you ever get a chance to see it, that's my muse! Thanks for reading x