Unofficial Portkey Archive

Something about You by gryffindor-girl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Something about You

gryffindor-girl

Disclaimer: Song credit - the song in this chapter is "It's your Love" by Tim Mcgraw and Faith Hill, and is not written or owned by me, just like the characters and HP universe. You can find this song on you tube if you're interested.

Chapter Three

Funeral for a friend

The small group landed heavily on the grass in the field next to Godric's Hollow cemetery.

The wizard village was remarkably full, several hundred witches and wizards crowding the village square, mainly dressed in black cloaks and hats. The square was filled by a huge black tent, enchanted to hover without walls or any other ties, as a large covering, providing shade from the bright morning sun. As they walked towards it they saw three large banners floating inside- giant photos of Fred, Tonks and Lupin moving slowly as if rippled with a breeze.

Looking down at Hermione, he pressed her arm against his side.

"Ready?" he asked.

She nodded up at him with wide eyes already beginning to shine with tears.

He put his arm around her shoulders and gave her a reassuring hug. Dropping his hand to fit into hers he led them into the crowd, Hermione motioning to Neville and Luna to follow them.

Familiar faces were everywhere, Lee Jordan and his family, Parvati and Padma Patil wheeling a frail looking Lavender in a wheelchair who stopped Hermione to hug her tightly and thank her for saving her from Greyback; Hagrid towering over everyone, knocking hats off with his huge handkerchief as he dabbed at his eyes already. Making their way to the front they saw a cluster of redheads by the raised podium, the Weasley family, grouped close together. Three coffins sat high in sight behind them, one under each of the floating photos and soft music played from an invisible source to the assembled guests.

Harry made to move toward them then stopped as he saw a woman approaching the Weasley family that almost had him pulling out his wand.

But his eyes caught the shock of blue hair from the baby in her arms and he realised the witch he was mistaking for Bellatrix for the second time in his life was in fact her sister and Tonks' mother Andromeda, holding his godson in her arms.

She moved to wrap her other arm around Molly Weasley who hugged her warmly back then both women looked down at the sleeping baby between them, Molly smiling a watery smile as she stroked his cheek. Ginny, at her mothers' side, leaned in to look at him too and then looked up over his head to meet Harry's eyes.

"Harry" she said quietly, at which Molly whipped her head up to look and hold her arms out to him and Hermione.

"Oh you two" she said as she beckoned them forth and pulled them both in to a hug, before stepping back and examining them, Harry smiling as she fussed over them, asking if they'd had breakfast. She pulled them over to the rest of the family who took turns greeting them, and then Neville and Luna, with hugs and kisses on cheeks.

Harry bent down to Ginny, and she wrapped her arms around him quite forcefully, holding him tightly. He pressed his lips against the top of her head as she held on, her body moving with her silent sobbing. He looked up and saw Hermione watching them, almost curiously. He realised she was standing far enough away to give him some privacy, but close enough to be there if he needed her and his chest swelled with emotion as they locked eyes; that she was so infused with grief but still thinking of him. He tried to portray his thanks without words and he noticed her lips moved into a soft smile.

"Hey hey that's enough now, it's supposed to be a funeral, not a school dance". George Weasley playfully tapped Ginny on the shoulder and Harry laughed and detached himself from Ginny to return his rough hug. George smiled back, a smile that was so a part of him that Harry recognised but never had it been accompanied with the sad eyes George now had. George turned and embraced Hermione next, making some joke to make her smile also.

Then finally Ron stepped through as the last of the family to greet them and Harry hugged him warmly.

"How are you holding up?" Harry asked quietly.

Ron shook his head. "Happy you guys are here" he said with a brave attempt at a smile. Then he turned to Hermione and brushed at a tear on her cheek. "You're not supposed to cry yet, it hasn't started!" he joked and she smiled despite herself, moving in to hug him. Harry watched Ron's smile disappear as he brought her close and held her.

A feeling of dread began to curl in the pit of Harry's stomach, getting slowly stronger; he hurriedly studied the ground, concentrating with all his might on the feelings overwhelming him, threatening to lift him off the ground. Ginny was saying something to him but he couldn't hear her, he couldn't focus on anything but the ground, he'd been so quickly overwhelmed he couldn't even risk looking at Hermione again for help -for fear his last shred of concentration would break, and he knew he was barely keeping his weight on the floor.

Then he felt a cool hand touch his forearm, the sensation seeming to spread over his skin in a calming effect, allowing him to hear again - to slowly lift his eyes and see Hermione in front of him, now disengaged from Ron and saying something he couldn't hear.

"Wh…What?" he stuttered

She pulled gently at his arm. "I said come and meet Teddy." She led him to Andromeda and he put his other hand over top of hers, so grateful she had come through again. That had been the worst incident in a while and he was shaken, she seemed to know as she firmly gripped his arm. He stole a look back at Ginny who was watching them but then she quickly looked away, and at Ron who had gone on to greeting Luna. Turning back to follow Hermione he whispered under his breath.

"Thanks." Her fingertips contracted on his forearm in quick response, and then he was looking at his godson.

His heart constricted almost painfully as he gazed at the little baby close up; sound asleep with fat lashes fanning out on his soft cheeks. Andromeda smiled up at his awestruck face as he took in every detail of the beautiful boy. He broke his stare to give Andromeda a kiss on the cheek and then she held the baby up to him.

"Here Harry, have a hold." She stepped closer to him to pass him over.

Harry's eyes grew wide in objection. "No no… I don't know how to hold him…I don't know anything about babies…"

Hermione stood close by his elbow and smiled at him as she helped nestle the boy in his arms, moving close to the baby as not only a means of keeping contact with Harry, but to stare at Teddy closely too. "You'll be okay Harry, just relax" she said brushing back Teddy's light blue hair from his forehead and kissing him gently there, Harry watching her. He looked back to Andromeda.

"Andromeda…I'm… so sorry" was all he could manage to convey his heartbreak for her losses and she nodded, her still pretty face etched with grief but also gratitude.

"Come on" she said, motioning towards the second row of seats, behind where the Weasley's were. "Let's sit down"

She left Harry to carry Teddy, Hermione leading him to his chair by his arm, on the pretence of helping him keep his feet while carrying the baby. They sat down directly behind Ginny and George, and looked up as Kingsley moved to the lectern on the stage.

The service was flawless, Fred's memorial held first, with speakers for him taking to the stage, telling story after story of Fred's infamous escapades. Lee Jordan bought the house down with stories that had even Molly laughing and Percy surprised everyone by giving a great speech on behalf of his parents and other siblings who didn't feel up to speaking - even fondly showing his Prefects badge that Fred had bewitched years ago to read 'Pinhead' and that he'd unexpectedly kept in it's transformed state.

Harry sat as still as possible at first, afraid of waking Teddy, but the baby slept on, giving the odd start at the louder laughter but staying fast asleep. He held one of Hermione's fingers in a chubby fist, a brilliant idea of hers as she was able to lay her arm on Harry's arm to keep her hand linked with Teddy's.

Halfway through Lee's speech Ginny turned in her seat and looked at Harry, attempting a smile but having limited success. He smiled back at her trying to read her face. Her brown eyes were swollen and red rimmed as they looked fondly at little Teddy, and then Harry noticed her catch sight of Hermione's hand resting on his. He felt Hermione shift uncomfortably and turned to look at her, surprised to find her blushing a little self consciously. He turned back to Ginny to find she'd looked away again.

George was the last one to speak for Fred and the large crowd fell silent as he walked up, wondering how George was going to hold up. Bravely he stood and gave a big smile, starting with a joke about how his lost ear meant they were actually mourning 1.3 of the Weasley twins today. The crowd laughed, intently listening to all the funny and sad things George had to say, all of his friends and family glowing with pride at his effort. He finished with a great shuddering breath - his only indication of the difficulty he'd had speaking, and then Fred's favourite song was played, an up beat tune that had people smiling more than anything.

Teddy woke but lay silently looking up at Harry's face, as he bounced him softly in his arms. Andromeda passed Harry a bottle which he fed to Teddy as the service for Remus and Tonks began.

This one had a much more somber air as images of their life were flashed across the floating banners - Tonks as a happy little toddler, looking so much like Teddy but with bubblegum pink hair. There were less photos of Remus as a child, the few shown held a shy non smiling boy with light brown hair that almost covered his eyes. Later photos of him at Hogwarts showed a happier Remus, though still a little sickly looking, grinning out of the photos with a handsome Sirus, James with his untidy hair and Peter Pettigrew, the four of them with their arms around each other laughing at the camera in Hogwarts robes.

Minerva McGonagall delivered a brilliant speech, punctuated by loud honking noises from Hagrid as she spoke of Dumbledore and his fondness for both Remus and Tonks, and made a plea to all the wizarding community to continue to fight prejudice in honour of their two brave fallen comrades. Harry knew a brief moment of uncomfortable scrutiny as she spoke about Teddy and many eyes turned to him holding the baby, but everyone's attention was soon diverted back to the banners as photos of Teddy with his mother and father happily playing with him and holding him gently flashed across the screen.

Minerva looked tearfully up at the photos herself and then spoke again. "And let us remember our courageous couple, who not only taught us about fighting for what you believe in and to be who you are, but to love without restraint. To know that no barrier, not age, nor prejudice, should stand in the way of loving the person you were born to love."

Then she introduced a song played at their wedding. The song's lyrics rang through the quiet crowd as photos not many had seen of their wedding projected across the screen, a beaming Tonks staring up at Remus, her bright hair falling in long pink waves over her shoulders. Still more photos of them played, the couple with their foreheads pressed together, a small smile playing on Remus' lips as he looked in awe at his beautiful bride and Hermione gave in to the tears and cried into her hands as the song's lyrics rang out.

Oh it's a beautiful thing, don't think I can keep it all in

I just gotta let you know, what it is that won't let you go

It's your love

It just does something to me

It sends a shock right through me

I can't get enough.

And if you wonder

About the spell I'm under

Oh, it's your love

Teddy finished his bottle and gurgled happily and loudly as he watched the pictures changing overhead. Harry took an arm gently away from under him and wrapped it around Hermione's shoulder, pressing her in close to him as she cried. Her face turned in to his chest and he rested his cheek against her hair, breathing in the perfumed scent of its waves and closing his eyes, willing his own tears not to spill out as he listened to the lyrics too.

Better than I was, more than I am

And all of this happened, by taking your hand.

And who I am now, is who I wanted to be

And now that we're together, I'm stronger than ever

I'm happy and free…

His thumb rubbed her shoulder as she sobbed with her head down, his other arm holding tightly on to Teddy, Andromeda on the other side of him stroking the baby's hair and staring at him as the song finished.

Finally the pallbearers rose from their seats to walk the coffins in procession to the cemetery. Ginny, Ron, Bill, Charlie, George and Lee Jordan making an even six stationed around his, with their wands in hand gently touching the coffin to move it along slowly down the centre aisle. A sobbing Molly Weasley was supported by Arthur to walk behind the coffin as various members of the Order and teachers from Hogwarts surrounded Lupin, then Tonks, and began to follow the Weasleys. Kingsley and Minerva were at the head of Lupins', with Fleur and - Harry gave a little start at seeing her - the slim blonde frame of Narcissa Malfoy at the head of Tonks' coffin.

Hermione nudged him, spotting her at the same time and just then Narcissa glanced over to catch his eye. She nodded lightly at him and then moved forward, her head held high in haughty defiance as people bent their heads to whisper as she passed. Harry glanced around for the white blond head of Draco Malfoy or his father but they were nowhere in sight.

The crowd filed out to follow from the front rows back, ensuring Harry with Teddy, Hermione and Andromeda were graveside as the coffins were slowly lowered. Teddy seemed to understand the solemn nature of the moment as he sat quietly in Harry's arms, his big blue eyes the only part of him moving. Harry closed his eyes at the sound of the Molly's anguished crying and could only bear a glance at her with Ginny and George wrapped around her before looking away. He couldn't help his eyes from sliding to the gravestones of his parents and he bent his head quickly to kiss Teddy's soft cheek in an effort to disguise the tears behind his glasses. Feeling Hermione's steadying hand on his arm he thought back to the last time they were there - it felt like a lifetime ago now.

Slowly the crowd began to disperse back towards the square. Andromeda turned to Harry.

"Well I better take this one home" she said quietly and she positioned her hands gently under Teddy, Harry moved closer to pass him slowly over.

Teddy's lip gave a small quiver and his face screwed up to cry, his hair changing instantly from its light blue to a bright orange in his distress. Andromeda chuckled and hushed him.

"Oh Teddy" she smiled "There you go Harry, looks as if you're going to have to be a regular visitor with us."

Harry placed his hand lightly on the little boy's hair. "I'd love to."

Andromeda smiled shakily, her emotions threatening to overwhelm her. "I know it was important to Nymphadora, and Remus, that you be a part of Teddy's life."

Harry nodded sadly. "I promise." Then he remembered something. "He, Remus, he said he was sorry, but he hoped Teddy would understand that they died for him to live in a world that was a happier place…" he trailed off, unsure if that had made her feel better or worse, but she smiled through her tears and drew him into a hug.

"I know. It's hard, but they wouldn't have had it any other way…it's what they believed in. And at least they're together." She looked sadly at the graves then back at Harry. "So, you come by soon - and bring your lovely girlfriend too." She gestured to Hermione standing next to Harry holding his hand.

Harry opened his mouth then closed it again, his protest somehow dying on his lips. He deliberately avoided looking at Hermione as he nodded. "Yeah, okay sure."

Hermione had frozen at his side as Andromeda stepped forward to give her a hug too, just recovering enough to return the embrace of the older woman, still not looking Harry's way either when she took his hand again. Then they both noticed Narcissa standing a step or two away waiting for Andromeda. Saying their goodbyes, they watched as Andromeda turned to walk to her younger sister, who put an arm around her and they walked out of the cemetery.

Left standing alone, a silence engulfed them that neither one wanted to break first, Harry awkwardly clearing his throat. His mind was swimming; why hadn't he corrected Andromeda? Hermione's hand in his felt strange for the first time ever and he ventured a look at her. She opened her mouth to speak and then seemed to think better of it. Shaking her head a little she gestured to the Weasleys.

"Shall we…head over there?"

He nodded down at her, grateful she was happy to gloss over the moment too. They walked to the family gathered at the graveside, Hermione discretely dropping his hand when they were a few steps away.

Ginny looked at Harry and managed a smile. "So, back to The Burrow?"

Harry smiled back. "Yeah that'd be great."

~*~