Unofficial Portkey Archive

Something about You by gryffindor-girl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Something about You

gryffindor-girl

Chapter Twelve

The Best Thing

Harry smiled at Luna as she passed him another Butterbeer - surreptitiously pocketing the cork. He clunked the bottle with hers and drank deeply, letting it relax his exhausted body. Quidditch practice had been tough today, but he'd loved every moment of it.

He looked around the Room of Requirement, decked out in decorations that had Luna's stamp all over them, unusual feathers and spiked plants hung between the standard party adornments of balloons and streamers. He smiled and made a mental note to thank Luna for organising the party - even though he never really liked occasions like this where he was the centre of attention.

Although this time, it was more about Hermione.

He tried to resist another scan of the room for her, she would be here soon. He knew she'd still be at the library, she had ushered him out about an hour ago so she could concentrate. They had finished all their exams; in fact, they graduated in a few weeks. But the two of them would miss the graduation ceremony, and that was why she was studying. She wanted to know all she could about Australia, before they went there together. They planned to be there for at least six months, to begin the process of restoring Hermione's parents' memories.

He was impatient to leave.

It had been an amazing few months finishing out their schooling at Hogwarts, but he was more than ready to be alone, just the two of them.

Once Hermione had finally woken on that night in the hospital ward, Madam Pomfrey had sent a protesting Harry out while she checked her over. Healers from St Mungos had made the trip back to Hogwarts just to see the miracle that Poppy Pomfrey was so enthralled over, and none of them could believe that Hermione had made such a recovery. She was still very fragile at first, and Madam Pomfrey had let Harry stay with her in the ward for a few nights, sleeping by her side as he had - sure it was aiding her recovery.

She marshaled him out on the third night, aware her patient was getting much stronger now, though Hermione tried to protest that she might still need his presence, but her smile gave her away. Poppy had laughed, glad that the girl was well enough to be cheeky. She had reluctantly sent him away, her observations of the two of them together, the way they looked at each other and held each other's gaze, had caused her many a sentimental tear during their time in the ward. He came in every day after that, and spent as much time in there as possible before she had to shoo him out. In a few weeks, Hermione's books had begun to over run the ward and Poppy had let her return to the Gryffindor dormitory - with check ups scheduled twice daily.

The school had been abuzz with the scandal of Harry and Hermione's very public union, the dance and then the fact that they had been together in the forest when she had been attacked by the last remaining Death Eaters on the run. The rumors grew more outrageous, but for the first time, it hadn't bothered Harry in the slightest. He didn't care what anyone thought or said about his life anymore; it all seemed trivial and petty, after all the losses they'd been through - and the ordeal of nearly losing Hermione.

But what he had cared about was the continued absence of Ron.

It had been days since the dance, and Ron had not been heard from, until Percy, of all people, finally owled Harry to tell him he was at the Burrow. Harry didn't know what to do - how best to approach him. He was relieved of that responsibility when he returned from the hospital ward late one night to the common room to see Ron, sitting in one of the armchairs by the fire.

Harry stood by the portrait hole as it banged shut behind him, not quite believing his eyes. A sharp click sounded and all the lights went off for a second, then at another click, they flickered back on again. Harry watched the orbs fly from the object in Ron's hand as he repeated this a few times and then, when he left the lights on for a while, Harry approached him.

Ron watched him draw closer, and sit on the arm of the chair next to him. Harry stared at his hands while Ron clicked the Deluminator once more, on and off. Harry broke the silence.

"Ron, I'm… I owe you an apology."

Ron turned the silver object over in his fingers. "How's Hermione doing?"

Harry looked over at him, but he was staring into the fire. "Better. Not completely in the clear yet, but getting better."

Ron nodded and continued to look into the dancing flames. "That's good."

Harry waited, staring at the fire too now. "I don't know what to say Ron. I'd tell you everything if I thought it would help. But I'm not sure I understand everything that happened yet myself."

Ron finally turned to look at him. "It's okay Harry."

"I know it was pretty…"

"It's okay." Ron interrupted and Harry fell silent. "You don't have to tell me. I saw it all for myself."

Harry stared at him confused and Ron held up the Deluminator. "Handy thing this. Dumbledore must've really known how much I needed it." He turned it in his fingers again. "It showed me."

Harry frowned and Ron held the silver object out to him. Harry took it, smoothing it in his hands.

"The night I left, I was playing around with it, asking why -why you guys would do this to me…and Ginny. Then one of the lights went into me again."

Harry sat down into the chair as he listened intently.

"It showed me, from that first night she found you, and how she helped you. It showed me everything that happened."

Harry looked down, unsure if Ron was going to lose his temper any minute now. He seemed to read Harry's mind with what he said next.

"I'm not mad. I was hurt, I won't lie. But we - me and Hermione, we never had what you have. We don't even come close." He shook his head. "I can't be mad at you for that. And it showed me too…it showed me how you've spared my feelings all along." He leaned back into the chair and folded his arms. "Even when I might not have deserved it."

Harry looked over at him, and passed him back the Deluminator. "I never meant to hurt you. Please believe that."

Ron nodded. "I know that. I really do."

A tentative peace had come between them then, though they didn't hang out together for a number of weeks. It seemed Ron still had to get things straight in his head and Harry tried to give him space and understanding. But it felt strange to walk to classes that Ron was going to, and arrive separately. Ron hung out with Seamus, Dean or Neville, whoever wasn't with Harry. Luna seemed to divide her time between Harry and Ron, having a knack of turning up when one or the other needed some company - more often than not that was Ron. Initially Ron tried to pretend it was a chore to hang out with her, but Harry could see he actually enjoyed her company, as he himself did.

After Ron paid a visit to Hermione in the hospital ward, it seemed that he began to accept the situation more, letting the stares and whispers wash over him. To his credit, it seemed to many that knew him that Ron Weasley had grown up a lot from the whole experience. By the time Hermione was out and back in classes, Ron was fairly accepting of the whole situation. He started asking Hermione for help with school work again, and though they weren't the same as before yet, Harry felt the prospect of the three of them getting along again looked promising.

Someone not quite as gracious about the situation was Ginny.

From her initial conversation with Harry she seemed to retreat further into herself, until she spoke to no one in Gryffindor at all. She only appeared in the dorm to sleep and change, at all other times she was nowhere to be found.

They had all tried to talk to her; her girlfriends, Dean, Luna, and even Harry. He had waited for her one night in the common room but she'd refused to speak with him, eventually screaming at him to leave her alone.

Ron tried to bully her into talking with him, threatening to go to Molly about it. But Ginny couldn't be reached, and the very next day after Ron's outburst towards her, she appeared at breakfast with her hair cut severely short. Hermione had the least success, Ginny drawing her wand and hexing her when Hermione tried to talk to her in the halls one afternoon. Mr and Mrs Weasley drew her out of school for a week after that, but failed to get through to her - she just refused to speak to them.

But the strangest of all was when Harry spotted her once, walking to Hogsmede with Daphne Greengrass and Blaise Zabini. He turned to follow her, worried she wasn't there of her own accord, but he slowed to a stop as he saw her laugh out loud at something Blaise said. He shook his head and turned away.

Harry frowned as he thought back to that day. He felt genuinely sorry she didn't want anything to do with them anymore, he'd finally realised that his feelings to her were more suited as a sister, but he still felt horribly responsible for her unhappiness. But he knew she was suffering over Fred's death too, and that hopefully with time, she would talk to them again.

Looking around the party, he saw there was a good turn out; Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws were there, and a lot of members of the DA. He searched the room once more and then he saw her.

Hermione was talking with Susan Bones by the door, obviously just having stepped in the room. He watched her as she talked, her hand traveling unconsciously to the necklace at her collarbone, running the pendant up and down the chain. She grinned at something Susan said then turned instinctively to look at Harry.

He smiled as she caught his eye and she smiled back, raising her hand to him. He didn't take his eyes off her as she made her way directly to him across the room, saying a brief hi to others along the way. When she reached him she smiled up at him, grabbing hold of his arms.

He bent down to kiss her cheek, near her ear and she moved into him, squeezing his arm. She stepped to his side then, inconspicuously taking his hand and he squeezed it back.

They were always discreet with their displays of affection around everyone else; it just felt natural that they were more restrained until they were alone together. But it was difficult, when every time he was near her he wanted to touch her, pull her into him, or down to sit on his knee. She felt the same, she'd only just told him last night how much she loved that she could touch him whenever she wanted to and he could her. But they weren't like other couples that needed to snog or fawn over each other relentlessly.

It was more a matter of waiting patiently until the next time they could be alone.

He leaned against a table behind him and she pressed into him slightly while she carried on a conversation. His attention drifted as he thought of the last time they had been alone together.

As seniors this year, they were granted overnight leave if it was approved by their guardians. Since neither of them had guardians in any capacity, Professor McGongall had approved their request for weekend leave when Harry had asked for it. She hadn't said much as she signed the parchment, but he got the impression that she thought it hardly seemed relevant to be worried about them being alone together, after everything they'd been through.

Hermione hadn't known anything about it until Harry was leading her out of Hogwarts, the evening of her birthday. During the year they had often gone off alone to spend time together, around Hogwarts grounds or Hogsmede. But when she'd expected to stop in Hogsmeade and have a dinner somewhere, he had apparated them to Grimmauld Place. He smiled as he remembered her face as she looked up at the dark building.

"Harry - what are we doing here? Shouldn't we - I mean are we allowed?"

He smiled down at her and produced the signed approval. "Yes. You're not breaking any rules - nerdy girl."

She swatted him playfully on the chest and then smiled, winding an arm around his waist.

"Thank you. This is really thoughtful."

He took her hand and led her up the steps. "Just wait."

She followed and he led her into the house, down the hall to door of the front room. He stopped and she looked up at him questioningly until he stepped behind her and covered her eyes. She giggled and raised her hands to his, letting him walk her awkwardly into the room. Once they were in the middle he took his hands away.

She gasped. Thousands of tiny floating lights glowed all around the room and on up to merge slowly into an enchanted ceiling of a cloudless starry night. Beneath her feet the floor was enchanted to resemble soft green grass, and a large picnic blanket, set as an elegant table with food, flowers and wine was laid out perfectly. The fireplace housed a steadily burning bluebell fire but to the side of the room lay a view which had Hermione raising her hands to her lips, her eyes welling up with tears. A vision of the lake at Hogwarts lay in front of them, moonlight reflecting off its surface.

She looked over at Harry who was watching her carefully, seemingly unsure if she would approve of his choice for her birthday dinner. She answered his unspoken question by throwing his arms around his neck and burying her face in his chest.

"I love it Harry." She looked up at him, and kissed him deeply. "It's perfect."

He smiled against her mouth and they sat down on the floor to dinner. Kreacher had appeared with the last of the food and Harry hurriedly explained he hadn't ordered Kreacher to help but he'd wanted to. Hermione laughed and shook her head, then thanked the house elf, who hurried away to his room, but not before they both saw the small smile on his face.

They finished their dinner and lay back on the grass, watching the stars. A shooting star flew across the ceiling and Hermione squeezed her eyes shut. When she opened them, she found Harry watching her.

"What did you wish for?"

She reached out touched his face, and then moved closer, letting her fingers run into his hair.

"Nothing. I can't think of anything I don't already have."

He smiled and drew her in to him.

They spent the night wrapped in the picnic blanket, and each other, in front of the fire. Hours later, Harry lay watching her, propped up on his arm as she sat with the blanket tucked around her chest. Her hair fell over her bare shoulders as she picked at the plate of leftovers they were eating as a middle of the night feast. She grinned at him.

"What?"

"You're beautiful." He sent the words into her thoughts. She pinched at a piece of bread and threw a bit at him, rolling her eyes. He scrambled forward to lay his head on her lap.

"Here."

She hadn't noticed him retrieve the small present he held out to her now from wherever it had been hidden. She frowned.

"I don't need anything else Harry. You got us those International Portkey tickets for Australia. It's more than enough."

Now he rolled his eyes. "Just open it."

She pulled off the paper to reveal a small velvet bag. Glancing at him, she tipped the contents into her palm.

A small solid silver Hippogriff feather dropped onto her hand. She seemed momentarily lost for words so he reached up and took it from her, securing the medium length chain that held the pendant around her neck. He smiled at it, happy with how it looked on her.

"It's goblin made and has one of Witherwings' feathers inside." He reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear, then brought most of it over her shoulders; it fell all the way down to him on her lap. "And there's a protection charm on it - a strong one." He smiled a little sadly. "Seeing as I sometimes have trouble keeping you safe myself."

Hermione leaned forward, cradling his head with her arms and kissed him gently. She pulled back and stroked his hair and face before whispering against his lips.

"Harry. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

He smiled back. "That's a coincidence." He pulled her head down to kiss her.

Harry came out of his daydream as Ernie MacMillan came up to greet him, patting him hard on the back. He talked with Ernie for a while, answering questions about their trip and asking Ernie what his plans were for next year. When Ernie moved on, Harry couldn't help picking up some of Hermiones' hair off her shoulder and winding it around his finger as she continued to talk with Hannah Abbott.

In a break in conversation Hermione turned to him, searching his eyes.

"What are you thinking about?"

"What do you think I'm thinking about?"

She fought hard to suppress a smile. "Do you think we can go yet?"

He shook his head in mock disapproval. "Tsk. Leaving your own party. Shame on you."

She grinned. "So you want to stay then."

"No."

They shared a smile and then he kissed her on the forehead before they went back to the party.

~*~