Unofficial Portkey Archive

Lies for Love by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Lies for Love

i found nemo

Disclaimer: JKR owns.

Lies for Love

Chapter 2: What Are Friends For?

---

It had been two and a half months since the defeat of Tom Riddle. The now Headmistress McGonagall had owled shortly after their arrival at the Burrow saying that both Hermione, Ron, and himself had shown outstanding academic achievement during the battle and that they would all graduate with full honours.

Of course, they had missed walking down the isle but they didn't mind. They were all still revelling in the fact that they were alive to get their diplomas.

That owl was shortly followed by ministry owls offering jobs and honours of all sorts; including an Order of Merlin First Class for each of them.

After staying at the burrow for a few days with the Weasley's, Hermione had decided to go to Australia to find her parents and Harry had told them that he was going to go flat hunting. Hermione had successfully found her parents and had spent the remaining months of summer trying to get them reacquainted with their old life and dentistry practise.

Ron and Percy were trying to help handle the shops in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade with George. Now that Voldemort was gone, people were in exceedingly high spirits and in the desperate need of pranking supplies. Fred's death was still a fresh wound with George; he hardly ever made humorous comments anymore, and the sparkle that had always been in his eyes was gone. He had a hard time at the weekly family brunch date at the Burrow, too. He wouldn't eat and he always kept an empty chair next to him. After their meal he would go up into the room he shared with Fred and just lay on Fred's bed for hours before Charlie, Ron, or Bill would come up and check on him, making George leave at once.

On a brighter note Harry had found a cosy bachelor pad in West London with three bedrooms and two baths, which he had instantly signed for. Ginny had been nice enough to help him shop around for furniture and other interior things for Harry's new home. They actually had been having a good time with each other over the summer. Harry was finding that Ginny wasn't deterred at all from the previous war and still wanted her and Harry to get together pronto. He had set things straight with her one night when they were alone in his flat after having just set up his bedroom. They were sitting on his bed when suddenly Ginny leaned over and kissed him.

*Harry didn't respond for a moment as Ginny continued to manipulate his mouth.

Finally regaining some composure, he pushed her away gently, "Wait Gin."

"What?"

"I just- I just think that we should wait is all."

"Haven't we waited enough? Harry, come on, I think you need this..." she tried to lean back and kiss him again.

"I just want us to take our time. I want to get the chance to get to really know you again."

"What have we been doing this summer then?" she asked hotly beginning to get impatient.

Harry didn't respond so Ginny continued, "I haven't changed Harry. I'm still the same girl I was a year and a half ago."

"But I'm not. I've changed." He didn't look her in the eye as he said this. 'If it was Hermione, she would just understand, she wouldn't try and push me... But this is Ginny, a possible love interest, not your best friend Hermione….'

Ginny leaned up and whispered in Harry's ear, "Harry, I promise I still like you the same."

"Just give me some time," he finished quietly still looking down as Ginny began to nuzzle his neck. She was getting rather clingy quite quickly and he didn't like it. He remembered what he told Hermione that one night all those months ago, that he did want to have a go at being a bachelor and dating different women.

"Okay, I guess..."

"Ginny, don't you want to have your seventh year free to do whatever you want?" Harry asked trying to win her over.

"I know what I want," she said temperamentally.

"I want you to have fun this year, Gin, you deserve it, okay? I want you to date as many guys as you want... party... do whatever. And then when you graduate, if you still want to, we'll give our relationship another go, alright?"

Ginny narrowed her eyes at him and stared, not blinking for a long time. "Okay," she said shortly before getting up and giving him another short farewell and promises to see him in the future.*

Harry sighed as he remembered the memory. He wondered how Ginny was going to act toward him tonight. Hopefully she had a new love interest and he could be left alone to look for a pretty girl for himself. He walked further up the street towards the Three Broomsticks to meet with some old mates from Hogwarts and a few who had just started their final year a few days ago. He really hadn't been too social that summer, besides dinner with the Weasley's, and this was his first time seeing everyone together in a couple months.

Harry stopped short as he seen a woman just a few steps ahead of him apparate in front of the pub. This girl was easily one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen, she had light brown hair flowing down her back in soft waves and a face he couldn't quite make out since her head was bent and her hand was digging around through her purse. His eyes quickly scanned up and down her body; she was dressed as a muggle, wearing tight dark jeans and a black cardigan coat.

"Let me get this," he said as he took a few steps to place a hand on the door about to open it for her before he was meant with a pair of intense chocolate brown eyes. His hand fell off the handle and his mouth dropped.

"Hermione?"

She smiled at him, "Harry."

"Bloody hell, Hermione..." he said, again looking her up and down.

She blushed and looked towards the ground, "It's good to see you again too, Harry."

Harry blushed as he looked up to meet her eyes, "Um yeah... so how're your parents?"

"They're doing really well actually. They decided to stay in Australia, so that's where I've been mostly, helping them stabilize their dental practice and things..."

"That's good. So, um... are you back for good?"

"Yeah, I just got a flat a few days ago," she told him looking very enthusiastic, "And then I'm going to start uni in a month. Now all I need is a little job to earn some extra spending money."

"Wait, so you've been back for a few days now? Why didn't you owl me, I would have helped you out with your new flat," he gave her a small smile.

"Well... I ran into Ron... in Diagon Alley after I signed for the flat and he helped me move some of the furniture around and go grocery shopping and stuff... he said you were really busy with auror training so I didn't want to bother you."

Harry gave her a perplexed look, "Ron knows I don't start auror training for another week."

"Oh, well..." she trailed off beginning to blush again.

"So you and Ron?"

"What about me and Ron?"

"Are you-"

"No." she said simply looking him in the eyes. Harry looked back at her about ready to speak when the door banged open.

"Hey, you two! What are you still doing out here? The party's in there!" said Ron excitedly throwing arms around the both of them and leading them into the Three Broomsticks.

"Harry!" Ginny called as she got up from their table and ran at him full speed throwing her arms around him. He returned the hug, even though she was crushing his neck into a very uncomfortable position.

"It's been so long," she whispered into his ear.

"It's been three weeks, Ginny," he responded in the same tone setting her down. She was about to retort when she caught sight of Hermione standing closely behind them.

"Merlin, Hermione!" she threw her arms around Hermione in a similar fashion. She let go a lot sooner and then stood back to look at her, "Bloody hell, Hermione, you haven't just been spending time with your parents."

"Well, they stayed in Australia so…" Hermione trailed off, not liking how everyone was now staring at her.

"Ooh, meet any cute Aussy boys?" asked Parvati and Lavender together.

"Um, I met a few nice people," she muttered going red. Ron and Harry both turned to look at her as Hermione averted her eyes from both of them.

"Well come on guys, we were just getting ready to order some drinks," said Dean saving the awkward moment. Harry finally looked up to see the people crowding the booth table. He smiled. It truly did make him happy seeing Seamus and Dean's excited faces when they spoke about their club football match and hearing Parvati and Lavender giggle as they told it. Neville was there sitting next to Lavender, still characteristically bashful but with a new air of confidence about him.

And Luna… dear Luna. It looked like she had made an orange peel bracelet to go along with her radish earrings and bottle cap necklace. But as always, she sat there with her trademark dreamy expression- looking as if the war three months ago never happened or affected her in any way.

"Here Harry, sit," Ginny said to him, pulling him down to slide into the seat next to hers. Ron did the same to Hermione on the opposite side of the table and Harry felt his stomach burn when Ron left his hand holding Hermione's.

Madam Rosmerta came by a few seconds later and took everyone's orders. Seamus and Dean were brave enough to ask the middle aged pub mistress for a firewhiskey.

She consented with a small grin that made Seamus and Dean clap their hands on the table in excitement.

When she came back to the table, her tray was loaded with extra drinks. She set a small shot glass of amber liquid in front of everyone, "You all very well know I usually don't serve alcohol in front of students," she commented as she grabbed a shot of firewhiskey for herself and held it up to them, "But for you, the people who fought to save the school, this village, my pub, the wizarding world together- I'd do anything for. Cheers," she finished raising her glass up before knocking it back.

"Cheers!" the table said together, all wearing smiles on their faces. The group took their glasses and knocked them back simultaneously. Most (except for Luna) contorted their face in pain as the amber liquid burnt it's way down their throats.

"This rounds on the house!" she said loudly, attracting the attention of other guests. She looked back at them and said in an impatient tone, "No, you all will be paying for your goods."

The group laughed and said their thank you's as Madam Rosmerta took off to collect another order.

"May I be the first to say that firewhiskey is rather tasty," Luna said dreamily, not caring that Ron, Seamus, and Dean snorted in amusement.

"Why didn't you drink yours, Hermione?" Ron asked looking down to the full shot glass on the table. Harry looked over to Hermione and watched as a glint of disgust flickered in her eyes as she glanced at the firewhiskey.

"I'm just not in the mood tonight, Ron. You can have it if you want," she offered holding it up for him to take. Ron took it immediately and chugged it back like a pro causing the other occupants at the table to chuckle merrily.

"Looks like you're gonna have a drunkard on your hands tonight, Hermione," Seamus said, winking at her.

Hermione rolled her eyes good-naturedly and took a sip from her pumpkin juice. Harry stared at her with a blank face as she took her sip and then started speaking to a question Ron asked her.

"So Harry, how do you like your new flat after it's been all furnished?" Ginny asked, snuggling a bit closer to him as she spoke.

Harry didn't push her away or take any notice. He was thankful for the female attention he was getting right now. Saved him from staring across the table at someone he couldn't understand what he felt for all night. "It's nice. A little big for just me, but nice. I might have a flat warming party soon," he said with a shrug.

"Oh," Ginny said a little dejectedly, "That'd be good for you. It's a big flat so why not through a few parties?" Harry could tell she was trying to put on a strong front but inside was a bit hurt to hear he would be having gatherings without her.

"Don't worry, they'd be on Hogsmeade weekends," he said, not really hearing himself. He wasn't the type to host huge parties, much less to host them at his home so he really didn't see what she was getting worked up over.

But when he said it, it made Ginny smile and lean in to kiss him on the cheek. The place where her lips touched turned red and Harry passed it over by taking a sip of his beer.

"Where is your new flat, Harry?" Neville asked in interest.

"Over near Marylebone on Molyneux Street," Harry said, "It's a nice place, four bedrooms, a study, nice kitchen..."

"Four bedrooms? Merlin Harry, plan on starting a family soon?" Seamus asked in awe with a tinge of sarcasm.

Ginny turned to Harry, interested on what he had to say. Harry looked up in discomfort, unwillingly meeting Hermione's eyes.

Harry stared at Hermione for a few minutes before he said quietly, "We'll see where life takes us, eh?"

"Too right you are, Harry," Dean said raising his firewhiskey at him. "Me and Seamus were looking for a flat over on Baker Street but we ended up renting in North Kensington."

"Aye, it's closer to the practise field," Seamus said, who was already getting a bit tipsy.

"Seamus, no it's not, it's farther away from the practise field," laughed Dean, throwing a peanut in his face. The table laughed at this and continued to talk about everything and anything, all the while Madam Rosmerta bringing over more and more drinks.

About two hours later, the ten of them had paid and said their departing words to Rosmerta who laughed merrily as most the boys stumbled from side to side, all the way out of the bar. It was Harry and Neville who were pretty much holding Seamus, Dean, and Ron up straight. The girls followed behind them laughing and giggling as the inebriated boys mumbled an incoherent language and Seamus even went as far as trying to speak Mermish. Luna, who had by far had the most drinks of the evening, was standing up straight as a pencil, hands clasped in front of her, and with a large smile on her face. The only difference to tell that she had been drinking was that her blue eyes were a little shinier than usual.

Lavender and Parvati were the first to say their goodbyes and then disapparate off to their flat in Diagon Alley.

"Are you two sure that you can get back into the castle okay?" Hermione asked the two girls as they took off towards Honeydukes to use the secret passage back to Hogwarts.

"F'sho," Ginny said evenly, then giggled once she realised that she had just slurred her words horribly. "I mean for sure, Hermi'ne." Ginny came forward to hug her tightly, then went forward to Harry and latched onto him as well.

"Write me," she whispered before leaning in to brush her lips against his. The chastity of the kiss seemed innocent enough to Harry, so he didn't scold her for it.

"Alright, make sure you get back safely."

"Promise," she turned to the rest of the group, "Bye guys." The boys didn't make any movement to say goodbye, instead they just stood there wobbling in between Neville and Harry, arguing over how you spelt 'pissed'.

"There's only one 's'!" Ron exclaimed impatiently to a stubborn Seamus.

"There's two, you wanker!"

"I'm not a wanker, you're a wanker!"

"Seamus, tell this wanker that he's a wanker!"

"You're a bigger wanker-"

"Boys, boys!" Hermione said, mediating between the three of them and then Harry and Neville who were caught helplessly in the middle. "Now Ron, where are you staying tonight?"

"We can't take him back to the Burrow like this," Harry commented ruefully, taking another observant look at Ron.

"I can spend the night at your place, Hermy," Ron slurred suggestively, his eyes barely open.

Hermione sighed and ignored the pointed glare Harry was throwing at her, "Ron, I don't think that's the best idea..."

"Denied!" Seamus snickered obnoxiously.

Hermione ignored it and ignored the hurt look in Ron's eyes, "Why doesn't Harry apparate you to George's?"

"I'll do that," Harry said quickly stepping forward to place both hands on Ron's arms. Right when Ron was about to open his mouth to protest, they both disappeared with a loud crack.

"Here Hermione, I know where Seamus and Dean's flat is so I'll apparate Dean first and then come back for Seamus."

"Good idea, Neville," said Hermione coming forward to grab Seamus and sit him down on the curb outside the pub. Neville disappeared with Dean soon after and Hermione was left sitting there on a curb with Seamus.

"Hey there sweet thang," Seamus piped up after a few minutes of silence. Hermione looked to him with a bemused smile and decided to play along.

"Well hello, hello. What's your name big boy?" she asked with a seductive wink.

Seamus' eyes widened and drool starter pooling in his open jaw, "I-I'm not sure."

Hermione laughed just as Harry was apparating back from George's.

"What's so funny?" he asked her, sitting down on her right.

"Seamus can't remember his name," Hermione said simply with a smile.

Harry smiled back and looked over at Seamus, "Hey Seamus, what's your name?"

Seamus shuddered, "So many questions I don't know the answers to..."

Harry and Hermione laughed together before Seamus spoke again.

"I remember my address though, 136 Lancaster Road... 136 Lancaster Road... 136 Lancaster Road... 136 Lan-"

There was a crack and Neville was back from the flat to get Seamus.

"Bye-bye," Seamus tottled childishly making Harry and Hermione smile at him and Neville roll his eyes.

"I'll just apparate to my flat from there. I'll see you guys later?"

"Definitely, we'll get together soon." Harry said with a nod of his head.

Another crack sounded and Hermione and Harry were left sitting on the curb all alone.

A few moments passed before Hermione spoke quietly, "Fun night, eh?"

"Yeah... you didn't talk much though." Harry turned to look at her with concerned eyes.

Hermione shrugged, "I wasn't feeling that great."

"Headache?"

"Its my stomach, its been acting up lately."

"Will you be okay?" he asked placing a hand over hers.

"Yeah," she reassured him quickly, moving to stand up from the curb. Harry followed suit and soon they were staring into each other's familiar eyes. "It's just the flu or something."

"Let me take you home," Harry offered, holding out his hand so she could disapparate them.

However Hermione didn't take it, "You don't have to Harry. I was going to see if Rosmerta would let me floo anyway. I don't feel much like apparating."

"That's good for me too because I can't apparate within a kilometre of my building. And now I can at least make sure you get in okay. I won't stay long, I promise."

Hermione sighed and bit her lip. It had been so long since Hermione and Harry were alone together, and she knew things could get extremely uncomfortable standing alone in Hermione's dark apartment. Besides her best judgement, she accepted his offer, "Okay. You can floo to my place and then floo back to yours."

"Great," Harry said with a smile, and moving to open the door to the Three Broomsticks. "I'm excited to see your place anyway. There's probably a mess of books everywhere," he commented cheekily.

Hermione turned and swatted him playfully on the shoulder, "You will not patronize me, Harry James!"

"No I will not," Harry muttered with a small grin. They approached Madam Rosmerta at a nearby table and asked if they could go up into her private quarters to use the floo. She agreed immediately and gave them directions, even though Harry already knew from previously being in there third year.

Harry offered the floo powder to Hermione first who told him the address and then shouted it herself into the green flames.

Harry quickly stepped in after she spun out of view and threw down the powder, "424 Finchley Road, London!"

Harry spun through the fireplace, ash and heat being thrown in his face. He finally fell out of the grate and onto a hard wooden floor. Hermione came over to help him up and with a quick swipe of her wand he was ash-free.

"Whoa, 'Mione. Nice place," he praised moving in deeper throughout the living area.

"Um, thanks," she answered quietly, clasping her hands in front of her. Harry turned back to see the reason for her discomfort. There was a clap of thunder and the distant sound of rain outside that sparked his memory.

"Oh, right," he said, remembering that he was only supposed to make sure she got home alright and then leave, "Well I guess I'll be going then."

He moved back towards the fireplace and looked around for a cup of floo powder. "Um, Hermione?"

"Hmm?"

"Floo powder?"

Hermione gasped and clapped a hand to her forehead, "Oh no! I was supposed to get some today in Hogsmeade. Damn it!"

"Hey, it's okay," Harry assured her, coming forward to stroke her arm. Hermione removed the hand from her forehead and looked down to where Harry was touching her. He immediately jerked his arm back when he realised what he was doing.

"Sorry," he mumbled, looking down to the ground.

"Its alright. Um, well what'll we do?" she asked awkwardly, looking everywhere but him. The discomfited silence of standing alone in her flat was starting to settle in.

"Well, I guess I'll have to apparate. Where's your door?" he asked shoving his hands in his pockets to keep from touching her.

"Harry, it's raining outside!" Hermione burst out with a frown.

"So?"

"If you have to walk a kilometre in the rain you'll catch a cold," she said, this time more subdued.

Harry smiled, "I'll be fine-"

Another loud rumble of thunder and lightening cut him off, causing the ceiling light that Hermione had turned on when they'd arrived to power out.

"Electricity's out," Harry declared lowly. 'This was just great...'

"Yeah, that also means it's too dangerous for you to apparate in this kind of weather, Harry. You know that," she said wisely with a raised eyebrow for persuasive effect.

"What'll I do then?" he asked a bit embarrassedly.

"Um, well... there's the couch," she pointed shyly to the large sofa behind him.

"None of the other spare bedrooms have furniture in them yet."

"Um," he voiced looking back at the couch and then into Hermione's eyes. He knew they were thinking the same thing and he was determined to prove to her that they didn't have to be so uncomfortable around each other when they were alone like this, "Yeah the couch would be great. Thanks 'Mione."

"Sure... I'll go get you a pillow and blanket. The bathrooms the first door on the right if you'd like to wash up." She pointed to the hallway behind him while she took off in the opposite direction to get his bed accessories.

He walked sombrely to the bathroom and locked the door behind him when he entered. Immediately, he made his way to the sink, turned on the blast of hot water, and stared at himself in the mirror.

"You can do this," he muttered supportively to himself. After a few minutes of reinforcing his mantra he removed his glasses and started splashing the hot water on his face. He transfigured one of Hermione's intricate linen clothes into a tooth brush and found a spare tube of paste in the counter below.

When he left the bathroom and walked into the living room he noticed that Hermione had already put a fresh blanket and pillow for him on the couch.

She came out a few seconds later in her night wear just as Harry was taking his shirt off. She stopped awkwardly but didn't take her eyes off how the muscles in his back manoeuvred when he was pulling it off.

He threw the shirt on the coffee table and then turned to see Hermione staring at him.

"Oh," he voiced surprised as she stood there and immediately removed her eyes from him.

"Um, I just came out to say good night."

"Yeah, good night. And thanks for this Hermione," he said with genuine sincerity in his voice.

Hermione smiled at him, "What are friends for?" She waved one last time before retreating back down the hall into her bedroom.

Harry scoffed to himself as he lay down in the make-shift bed, "Yeah, friends..."

---

Next week on Lies for Love:

"Tell me," urged Harry. He knew he'd stop if he heard her say that she'd forgotten about what they'd shared and didn't miss it. "You're my best friend, Hermione," he continued in a gentler tone, "You're the only person I can share what I'm feeling with... and I know what I'm feeling right now. Just tell me that you haven't missed me and I'll back off."

Hermione looked into his eyes, "I can't do that," she whispered with a bated breath.

You guys were so generous in your reviewing that you suckered me in to updating a whole four days early. I think it's now painstakingly obvious what exactly the "consequences" of H&Hr's get togethers was. For those of you who haven't yet realized- bless you for being so naïve.

Also, I like to pride myself on how "real" the emotions are with Harry and Hermione. This isn't going to be some fairy tale romance… there will be hardships, drama and angst- so if you guys aren't willing to trust me and wait for the 'happy ever after' then turn back now or wait until all parts of the trilogy have been completed.

Until next time,

-Oliver