Unofficial Portkey Archive

Lies for Love by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Lies for Love

i found nemo

Disclaimer: JKR owns.

Lies for Love

Chapter 6: We Can Be Happy

[AN] I'm glad you guys are enjoying the character development and starting to realize this is far from the cliché fic! And these teasers are making you really want to pull your hair out eh? :]]

---

Hermione closed her eyes and took a breath. The test fell feebly from her hands.

Harry seeing this stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her waist while burying his face into her neck. His hands went protectively to her abdomen to lay over the area where there baby was growing.

"It'll be okay, Hermione," he said rocking her back and forth gently in his arms. She didn't respond or do anything really. She just stood there flaccidly with her eyes closed. A few seconds later Harry walked her back into her room where he deposited her on the bed. As she lay on the bed, Harry kneeled down next to her, stroking her hair.

"Hermione, open your eyes," he demanded softly. She opened her eyes and turned them to face him. Harry's face was close to hers and seeing the grin on his face helped calm her down. She gave him back a shy smile.

Harry let out a laugh, "Hermione, come on, this isn't a bad thing. Stop focusing on what your parents or the Weasley's will say and focus on the bright side. We're going to have a baby!" he finished merrily. Hermione didn't have to look at him to tell he was smiling up a storm.

"So you're happy?" she asked timidly.

"More than just happy. I'm ecstatic! Aren't you?" he asked his mood not faltering. To hell with all the consequences that were going to follow this pregnancy. He never wanted to hurt Ginny... or Ron... but he would never regret the nights he spent with Hermione and now- he was going to be a father. He would have a baby to call all his own for the rest of his life. He was finally going to have a family he could call his. And better yet, he would have no dark lord looming over his shoulder or compromising his loved ones lives anymore…

Hermione looked over to him and seen the goofy grin on his face and right then could tell how much this baby already meant to him. And she understood it somewhat... she was giving Harry what he wanted since he was a child himself: a family. She knew Harry would do everything in his power to protect her and the baby to ensure his future with them.

"Yeah," Hermione finally said looking into his bright green eyes, "I'm happy, Harry."

Harry couldn't contain his joy; he dipped his head down and captured her lips in a sweet kiss. When he pulled away they just gazed at each other with smiles on their faces, both of their hands resting on Hermione's stomach.

Finally, Hermione sighed and looked away, "Wow, we have so much to do now," she muttered more to herself than she did to Harry.

Harry nodded enthusiastically, "Too right we do! Think about it Hermione, you're probably around three months wouldn't you think?"

Hermione nodded, "That would make the most sense. Anytime before that then I'd probably already be showing a bit."

"Damn, we're going to have to go buy books and read up on this. And we have to schedule a doctor's appointment!"

"Yeah, since I can't be less than three months so I'm probably about to start my second trimester. But Harry I'd really rather go to a muggle doctor than a healer at St. Mungo's," she said looking at him seriously.

"I understand," he said agreeing immediately, "Do we just show up at a hospital or do we make an appointment somewhere specific?"

"No we'll have to make an appointment. I can do that tomorrow," she said, propping herself up on her elbows.

"Oh, okay," Harry said a bit dejectedly, also sitting up so he could sit on the edge of the bed with her.

Hermione smiled and grabbed his hand, "Harry, this baby's not going anywhere. At least not for a few more months. We don't need to rush anything."

Harry nodded, "I know, I know. I'm just excited I guess."

Hermione leaned forward to lay her head on his shoulder, "I am too. I meant what I said when I told you that you'd make a great father."

Harry smiled and kissed the side of her head, "This'll be better than we think, 'Mione. We can get custody of Teddy together and then raise this baby as a family. That'd be perfect," Harry gushed still smiling. Hermione however lifted her head from Harry's shoulder to look at him. Was he insinuating what she thought he was insinuating. 'Does he really want us to be together?'

"What are thinking about?" Harry interrupted her, staring concernedly in her eyes.

Hermione shook her head but when Harry didn't relent she looked up at him, "Together?"

Harry sighed, "Hermione, don't think I'm going to let you raise this baby by yourself while I just come over after work and on the weekends to say hi."

"No I know that, but it's just... together?" she asked again with furrowed eyebrows.

"Yeah," Harry said slightly bewildered by her look, "We should probably get a house or move in together so we can start preparing, don't you think?"

Hermione was quiet for a few seconds. It seemed like Harry really wasn't getting the meaning of what she was asking him. Harry called out her name softly to get her attention before Hermione spoke, "Oh yes, of course. I don't want us to be the type of parents who have to bring a baby back and forth between homes."

"It's settled then! We'll move in together!"

"Harry," she voiced morosely, "Just think about what your saying. What are people going to say when we suddenly get a house and move in together and then start shopping for baby cribs and maternity clothes?"

Harry shrugged, "Why should we care?"

Hermione sighed, "Harry, what about Ron? And Ginny? They're going to feel so betrayed. Not to mention my parents! They're so narrow minded in their beliefs about a girl having a baby out of wedlock."

Harry shrugged again like it was nothing, "We'll get married then."

Hermione's stomach plummeted. 'Was that a proposition?!' "Harry-"

"What Hermione?" he asked starting to get a bit irritated with her. They just found out they were going to have a child together and all she could do was concentrate on the negatives.

Hermione sighed, noticing his almost angry tone, "Harry this baby doesn't have to mark the end of our lives."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean we should go gallivanting off and get married and then never talk to anyone again. There's still a chance for you to find a girl who you really love and really do care for."

Harry frowned, "I love you and I care for you too!" he cried indignantly.

Hermione placed her head in her hands, 'He's really not making this easy for me...' "Look, Harry- you're my best friend and I'll always love you. We've been through too much for me not to. Now, I don't regret the nights we spent together- I know we both needed that and I was happy to be the one to give you that reliever. And I- I'm thrilled that we'll be having a baby. I just... don't- I don't want you to jump the gun and marry me and then be unhappy in a year."

Harry shook his head defiantly, "That wouldn't happen Hermione. I'd be with my godson, my child, and my wife. How could I be unhappy?"

Hermione looked at him with tears coming to her eyes. She could think of a thousand reasons of what could make him unhappy if he married her. Before she could voice any Harry spoke,

"Hermione, are you saying all this because you don't want to marry me or because you still want to have a chance with R-... finding the right guy," he asked shyly and was quick to cover up his mistake. If she wasn't thinking about Ron then he didn't want to give her the idea of it. It just seemed so… wrong.

Hermione looked up at him and sighed again warily, "Harry... I just think that we could bring this baby into a happy atmosphere without having to be married. We can have a happy family without wearing rings on our fingers. I mean sure, we love each other- but we're not in love. Our love is not the type that you get married over. Understand?"

Harry didn't want to argue with her so he nodded. In reality though, he didn't understand her last bit. He couldn't think of a better reason to get married. He knew Hermione was beautiful. They'd been best friends for seven years so they already knew each other and liked each other. Love- well, Harry was only 18 years old. He wasn't exactly sure what the type of love you get married over was. What he did know was that he would do anything for Hermione and their baby. He would rather be skinned alive than have anything ever happen to her. Was that the type of love she was referring to? A small part of him hoped it was.

Harry looked up and smiled reassuringly, "I don't want to pressure you. And this pregnancy thing... it's new to me. So you're just going to have to smack me if I'm being unreasonable."

Hermione laughed and Harry felt good that he made her do it, "Harry this is new for me too," she paused so she could grab his hands and lace her fingers through his, "But we'll learn though. And we'll get through it together."

"Yeah," Harry said lightly, giving her hand a soft squeeze, "together."

---

Harry opened his eyes and was met with the blurred darkness of Hermione's living room. There was a dull ache in his lower back and Harry groaned as he tried to move from his uncomfortable position. He stopped when he realised Hermione's head was resting peacefully in his lap.

He smiled as he watched her sleep with her legs bent forward and her hands curled up at her side. She was so gorgeous. If their baby came out looking half like Hermione, he knew he'd be a lucky man.

"Then again, if you're a girl in there you won't be dating until you're 30," he whispered, his eyes moving over to Hermione's stomach. He grinned again, not believing the luck he had.

How'd me manage this? Here he was at 18, alive, healthy, and with his beautiful best friend who happened to be carrying his child. 'Yes... life is good...'

His smile faltered slightly as he thought about Ron and Ginny and Hermione's parents. She had made some really valid points in her speech earlier, but it was nothing Harry wanted to focus on. He was still hoping, albeit foolishly, that everyone would come around and just be happy for them.

Not wanting to think on the subject any more, Harry took Hermione's head carefully in his hands and lifted it up so he could slip out from underneath her. He groaned in pain as his back cracked while he was standing up. He looked around the room and figured Hermione wouldn't appreciate a mess in the morning so he took the pizza box that they had ordered for dinner and water bottles and levitated them to the rubbish bin in the kitchen. Waving his hand at the blanket that lay over Hermione, it folded instantly, and set itself over the top of the sofa.

"Let's get you to bed," Harry mumbled as he bent down and picked Hermione's sleeping form up in his arms. He carried her carefully down the hall and into the bedroom, finally setting her down in the centre of the bed.

Once her own shoes were off, he slipped his off and his shirt before climbing into bed next to her. He slid down next to her before stopping at her stomach and kissing it softly.

"I just want you to know baby, that I love you very much already. I can't wait for you to be born because we're gonna have so much fun together. We'll be happy. Me, you, your mummy and your cousin Teddy. He's a little older than you but you two will be great friends, I know it. Your mummy... I can tell she's a little scared right now. I am too, but she'll be a great mummy to you. I dunno what kind of dad I'll be. But I'm sure if I'm doing it wrong your mummy will kick me in the arse- I mean bum- she'd probably be mad if she heard me cursing in front of you..."

Unbeknownst to Harry, Hermione smiled in her sleep and continued listening to Harry talk to their unborn child.

"We might have to keep you secret in there for a bit, but people will just have to get used to me and mummy. They'll come around by the time you're born and they see how cute you are. Like I said before, if you're a girl and you come out looking like your mummy then I won't be letting you out of the house until you're well trained in a severing charm..."

Hermione smiled again, holding the tears that were building up in her eyes at bay as he continued.

"...I promise you you'll have a good life... and you'll always be surrounded by people who love and support you. Me and your mum will always be there for you. Always." He finished by giving her stomach another kiss and then crawled back up to Hermione and wrapped an arm around her. Hermione leaned into him and felt his lips press themselves against her forehead. Both Harry and Hermione fell asleep that night with smiles on their faces.

---

It was Friday, two days after Harry and Hermione found out she was expecting. Harry had made an effort to stop by every night after work, even though he was dead tired from training. Hermione insisted that he didn't have to keep doing so but Harry wouldn't hear anything of it. The two of them were planning on going out to get a bite to eat and then stop by the book store that afternoon, after Hermione got out of class and Harry off from work.

"Hermione?" he asked, flooing in to her flat. He had just quickly been by his own flat to change and then flooed straight here to see how Hermione was.

"Harry-" Hermione stated a bit alarmed as she seen him walking through the hall towards her in the kitchen.

"How are you and my-" he stopped when he seen Hermione shake her head vigorously. He was about to greet her and the baby with a kiss when he seen a flash of red hair move to stand next to Hermione.

"-best mate," Harry covered quickly. They had agreed it was best to keep Hermione's pregnancy a secret for as long as possible before they broke the news to Ron and everyone else. Harry smiled over at the ginger haired boy, dismissing the way that Ron had his arm lightly placed around Hermione.

"Hiya Harry! How'd you know I was here?" Ron asked with a grin.

"I uh," he looked over to Hermione for support and seen her move her eyes upward at Ron, "Er, I seen your hair."

Ron chuckled light heartedly, "Good ol' Weasley attributes, eh?"

Harry smiled back politely, "So what brings you by, Ron?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing, actually," Ron said looking at him with a glare, "You're not moving in on my girl are you Harry?"

Harry's stomach plummeted while Hermione jerked her head to look at Ron. Ron held his hard glare for a few more moments before breaking out into laughter, "You should have seen your face Harry! It was priceless!" he exclaimed merrily, still laughing.

Harry and Hermione both let out uneasy chuckles as Ron finished up laughing, "If I didn't know better I'd say you really were moving in on her," he said again humorously. Harry stood there uncomfortably, shuffling his toes into the ground. "Anyway, there's a Hogsmeade weekend tomorrow. Seventh years are being let out on Friday's now so they can go have dinner in the village. We were all going to go meet Gin and Loony-"

"Luna, Ron." Hermione admonished sternly.

"Yeah her, and then go to that new club they opened up on the east side of the village. I'm pretty sure Ginny already owled you and invited you, Harry," he finished pointing a finger at him.

"Um, yeah I think I did get a letter from a school owl. I haven't opened it though, I've been too busy lately," he said passing it off like it was nothing but shooting a look over to Hermione none the less.

Ron looked at Harry for a moment before speaking, choosing his words carefully, "You know Harry, Gin's still interested in you. And I know you guys were having a good time this summer-" at this Hermione raised her eyebrows at him. Harry had failed to mention hanging out with Ginny this summer," so don't go trampling all over her heart by ignoring her for something else or someone else, okay?"

"Ron, Harry's a big boy, he can do what he pleases," Hermione snapped.

Ron and Harry looked at Hermione who had walked out of Ron's arm to place her empty cup in the sink.

"I'm not ignoring her Ron, I just honestly hadn't had a spare moment to read her letter."

This seemed like a fair enough answer for Ron and he nodded, quickly looking over to Hermione to see if she was still glaring at him. He had caught her in some awful mood swings lately and he was hoping that tonight they could maybe spend more quality time together when they went to the club. The goal for tonight was to get invited back to her flat...

"They'll all probably be getting down their soon, and we have to be with Ginny and Luna to walk them in so shall we be leaving?" Ron asked with high hopes, sending a small grin at Harry and Hermione.

Harry looked over towards Hermione, looking for any signs that she would want to go. He hoped she would tell Ron that she didn't fancy much going out tonight and then he could tell Ron that he was knackered and that he was going home. Then the two would be able to resume their plans of going to the book store after dinner.

"Sure, we might as well get going," Hermione muttered to Harry's dismay, reaching for her hand bag on the table.

Ron looked at his two friends with a funny face as they both made their way over to the fireplace, ready to floo out. It had become instinct for them both to floo since Hermione couldn't apparate without upsetting the baby and her stomach for a few days.

"Um, won't we be apparating?" Ron asked, pointing toward the front door. Harry looked over at Ron clueless as to what to say to him.

"Er-"

"I just feel more comfortable flooing. I read that apparating after recovering from the flu can send you into a relapse so I don't want to take anymore chances," Hermione replied sensibly, knowing Ron wouldn't be able to argue with her since he hadn't a clue about those sorts of things.

"Oh yeah, definitely. But if you did get sick again I'd be over right away to help take care of you," he told her insistently making Harry roll his eyes.

---

Next chapter on Lies for Love:

"Hermione, do you want to be with me?" Ron blurted out without warning, staring Hermione straight in the eyes.

Thank you for all the continuous support! Sorry for the late update, I had a benefit and when I came home I was… err… unable to update ;]