Unofficial Portkey Archive

Lies for Love by i found nemo
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Lies for Love

i found nemo

Disclaimer: JKR owns.

Lies for Love

Chapter 9: Happy Birthday, Hermione

About last chapter, you're right. It did happen a bit fast. (Keep in mind though that the chapters span past a few days so he was checking on updates.) I'm aware that it was written poorly and that I'm a right bastard for doing that to him so close to the holidays. So I sincerely apologize (not to the ignorant flamers) and I promise that eventually I'll revise it to make a smoother transition. [I actually had another 2 chapters written on Harry freaking out on Kingsley and Child Services and him vowing to eventually find Teddy (which relax, he does) but the result would have been the same. Teddy won't come into play until a few fics down the line. And the way the extra chapters trailed on… they would have ended up being irrelevant.]

Happy Christmas to everyone!

---

-September 18th-

"Hello?" Ron called out as he closed the door behind him when entering Hermione's flat.

"Harry?" Hermione asked from the kitchen, setting her water bottle down.

"Wrong bloke. Hey birthday girl," Ron greeted her walking into the kitchen.

Hermione tried to hide the surprised look on her face as he came forward. She moved her head to the side, thinking he wanted to hug her, but instead he followed her mouth and pressed his lips to hers. Hermione's eyes shot open in surprise a,d alarm as he left his lips on hers for a few extra seconds.

Pulling away, Ron handed her a large bouquet of flowers.

"Um, R-Ron- what are you doing here?" Hermione asked as she turned to find a vase for the flowers so she wouldn't have to look at him.

Ron smiled, "Just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday! I know you said that you have dinner with your parents tonight but I was wondering if you'd like to get lunch with me or maybe I could cook for you? My mum just taught me-"

"Hey Hermione!" a voice called out from the sitting room.

Hermione's head shot up in surprise as she heard Harry's voice.

"Um, Ron and I are in the kitchen Harry," Hermione said, not noticing the look on Ron's face at being interrupted.

Harry sighed and quickly threw the lilies on the couch before walking into the kitchen.

"What's up mate? Hey," Harry asked, nodding in Ron's direction and then moving towards Hermione, "Happy birthday, Hermione." He finished, giving her a kiss on the forehead.

"Thank you, Harry."

"Hey Harry, what're you doing here?" Ron asked him in a cheery tone, hiding his annoyance at being intruded on.

Harry shrugged and leaned on the counter, purposely placing himself between Hermione and Ron, "Just came to wish her a Happy Birthday."

"Yeah, me too, I wanted to know if she was free for lunch," he told him, looking back at Hermione.

"Actually Ron," Hermione started, not meeting his eyes, "I, um, I have to go to school." Ron gave her a strange look and Harry wanted to laugh, "Yeah, I have an exam in Philosophy."

"On a Sunday?" Ron asked dejectedly.

Hermione nodded briskly, "Yes."

Ron's shoulders sagged, "Oh, alright then… But sometime soon I'm taking you out to celebrate. My mum taught me how to make a killer beef stew!"

"That sounds great Ron," she forced herself to say enthusiastically and without guilt. Looking down to her watch so Ron would get the hint she muttered, "I should be leaving soon."

"Okay, well I guess we should get going, huh Harry?"

"Um yeah," Harry said shooting a discrete look at Hermione. She shook her head slightly and led Harry and Ron out of the kitchen and to the sitting room.

Ron looked back at Harry, as if expecting him to go first.

"I uh- actually I'm going to apparate," Harry said, gesturing back to the door, "I have some freelance stuff I need to do for training."

"Oh, alright. Well see you later mate," Ron said brightly, shaking his hand.

"Yeah," Harry muttered and then looked at Hermione, "Bye, Hermione."

"Bye."

While Harry headed off for the front door, Ron looked back to Hermione.

"Well then, I guess you'll have to wait for your gift," he said grinning at her.

Hermione felt terrible, "Ron, you didn't have to get me anything…"

"Nonsense, you're turning nineteen, this is a big time in your life!"

"Oh, you have no idea…" Hermione muttered with a forced smile.

"Alright, well Happy Birthday again, and I'll take you out soon, okay?" he said

taking a few steps closer to her.

"Yeah…"

He leaned in to kiss her, but Hermione moved her head to the side just in time.

"Bye," she said quickly.

"See you later," he finished with a smile before throwing some floo powder into the fireplace and spinning out of sight.

Hermione sighed and rubbed a hand to her forehead before heading back to her front door.

"You don't even like beef stew," Harry said leaning against the door frame.

"It's the thought that counts," she said letting him walk past her back into the flat, "Are those lilies on the couch for me?"

"No, they were given to me, but I'd thought they'd be pretty for you to look at," he said jokingly.

Hermione smiled, "Ah, how sweet of you."

Harry nodded smugly, "I know. Your present, however, is a great deal better, and lasts far longer."

Hermione shook her head and looked away from him as tears started pooling in her eyes, "You really didn't have to get me anything."

"Hey," Harry said confused at why Hermione suddenly had tears streaking down her

face, "What's wrong sweetheart?"

Hermione shook her head again and wiped her tears away as Harry rubbed her back soothingly, "I can't… I can't just keep leading him on. He thinks that he and I are actually going somewhere when we're just not… we can't be…"

Harry led her back over to the sofa and sat her down, "Do you want to tell him that you're pregnant?"

"I can't do that either, it'd kill him," she said morosely.

Harry sighed, "Hermione, you can't keep stressing yourself out over this!"

"I know that, it's just with Ron and m-my parents… I feel like… I just don't want to be here anymore. I want to be able to buy pregnancy books and not worry about leaving them around the house in case Ron shows up… I-I want to be able to settle on a doctor without wondering if my parents knew them and if they'll find out… I-"

"Hermione listen to yourself," Harry cut in, "You're worrying yourself sick; this can't be good for you or the baby!"

"Don't you think I know that?" she snapped, shooting a defensive look at Harry.

"What exactly are my options if I can't keep this a secret but I don't want to hurt anyone by telling?"

Surprising her, Harry just sent her a smile in response, "Can I take you to your present now?"

Hermione frowned, "What do you mean 'take me to it?'"

Harry smiled secretively, "It's not here is all."

"Um, okay… Where is it?" She asked, sounding like she wasn't so sure.

"I'm not going to tell you so easily," he said, like it should have been obvious.

"But I'm pregnant!" Hermione replied with a small smile like that gave her special privileges.

"So?" Harry asked still smirking at her.

"With your child," she added with a raised eyebrow.

"That's fantastic," he said, causing Hermione to growl in frustration, "Let's get going. Grab a jumper; it might be a little chilly."

"Alright," Hermione relented, heading for the hall closet for a jacket.

"So, are you going to tell me the address?" she asked after she came back.

"Nope, I'm saying it for you," he said knowingly.

"Rotten bugger," she muttered as he pulled his wand out. Pointing his wand at her face, he cast a 'muffliato'.

"Harry!" Hermione said in appalled tone. All she could hear was white noise as Harry smiled at her and pushed her gently into the fireplace.

He threw down some powder and then she could see him say something before she started spinning around, out of sight.

When she landed in the opposite fireplace, she opened her eyes and looked around. The room she was in was completely dark. She was about to say something before Harry grabbed her from behind.

She gasped in surprise, making Harry laugh. A laugh that, Hermione noticed, hadn't been as mirthful as it once used to be since Teddy was adopted.

He pulled out his wand and muttered the counter curse on her, restoring her clear hearing.

"So?" Harry asked, looking around the dark space.

"Where are we?"

"Well, why don't we get out of this dark room and find some light," Harry suggested, grabbing her hand and leading her to the right.

"Okay…" Hermione said sceptically, following him into a nicely decorated hall way.

The hall way led into a posh furnished sitting room, furnished with lovely black leather sofas, dark oak furniture and wooden flooring.

"Soo…" Harry said, turning to look at her reaction.

"Harry, where are we and why is it night time here?" she asked looking out the open window to the lighted city streets below.

Harry smiled, "Well that's because there's a few hours time difference between here and London."

"And where exactly is here?"

"We're in Boston, Massachusetts," Harry told her with a grin.

Hermione gasped, "W-what are we doing here, and where's my present?"

"You're in your present."

Hermione turned to look at him with wide eyes, "You mean…"

"Hermione, I know you said running away wouldn't solve our problems, and I agree. I just think that it could work for us for the time being."

"Harry-"

"Look, it wouldn't be permanent. It'd just be a peaceful place where we didn't have to hide the pregnancy, and no one would judge us. The whole situation in London is obviously wearing you out. I can tell you're exhausted from classes and things and with your parents and Ron on top of things… you just shouldn't have to deal with it 'Mione. And moving here for the rest of the pregnancy and until the baby's stable- I think it would really help take a load off, you know?" Harry finished giving her a hopeful look.

Hermione was speechless. He had already gone this far to get the flat and his sales pitch about peace and taking a load off her didn't sound too bad…

"And just cut everyone off in London?" she asked quietly.

"For the time being. I know we'll have to go back someday, but it just… seems pointless being there, you know? I mean, you don't want to tell anyone the truth, I've been suspended from the auror program-"

"What?" Hermione asked, her eyes shooting up to his, "You never told me that!"

Harry nodded, "I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to stress you out."

"I'm not a bloody china doll, Harry." Hermione said fiercely, "Why?"

Harry shrugged and looked away, "Because of Teddy…"

Hermione sighed and squeezed his hand supportively, "Oh Harry…"

"It doesn't matter. I don't even know if I want to continue. Teddy," he said tightly as Hermione again squeezed his fingers. Harry preferred not to mention him but he knew he had to get his speech out, "Well I don't reckon we'll be seeing much of him until he gets his Hogwarts letter, and staying in London just doesn't seem like it would be worth the trouble."

"What would we tell everyone?" Hermione asked after a few moments.

Harry shrugged, "I don't know… to be honest I hadn't even thought about that. All I was concerned about was finding us a decent place and coming up with a good speech."

Hermione smiled, "Well this is a decent place."

"It is, isn't it?" he said smugly with a good-natured grin.

"Yes, you arse, it is," she replied swatting him playfully on the arm.

"I don't know how I do it all," he said continuing on his charade. "I mean I just have so many talents…"

"Is there an extra room here for your ego?" Hermione asked dryly.

"Yep, right down the hall," Harry said back, nodding his head down the hall.

Hermione giggled. "You know we'd have to say something to everyone… we can't just disappear," she said quietly after a few moments.

"I know that."

"The place really is nice, Harry. It's quiet… and peaceful."

"Yeah, it's really spacious too. This is only the front living room," he said, pointing out the vast size of the one room.

"It's perfect."

"So I did good?" he asked her with a grin.

Hermione smiled back, "You did good."

"And now, I don't have to wonder what you're doing at night because I'll be right next to you!" he said excitedly.

"Yes, because now that I'm pregnant you won't leave me alone," she said back good-naturedly.

Harry shrugged with a smile, "I just like to be close to you and the baby. I want us to experience everything together… I want to be there to hold your hair back when you're struck with morning sickness or to get you some disgusting combination of food whenever you need me to."

"What about my hormones?" she asked with a grin, "You want to experience those with me as well?"

"As long as you don't threaten to run out on me, I think we'll be okay."

Hermione felt tears well up at the loving tone in his words. Harry was such a sweet guy to be throwing everything away for her…

"Hermione, I know this may have come at an awkward time in our lives… and I know that a baby will change both our lives in more way then one. But I want to be there to witness that… and I want you to be there too. Don't you want that?"

"Yes," she whispered automatically. She couldn't say no to him if she tried. Which is a huge difference between him and Ron… a small voice said in the back of her head.

"You know you're not alone. I'd never leave you alone," he continued staring into her teary eyes.

"I believe you, Harry." Hermione whispered, ignoring the voice for the moment.

"Good," he said smiling at her.

"Where'd you learn to talk so smoothly?" she asked, nudging his shoulder.

"My best mate. She's taught me quite a few things actually, and I reckon she'll be teaching me a lot more soon enough."

"She sounds intelligent," Hermione said playing along.

"Smartest girl on the whole planet," Harry said dramatically.

Hermione smirked, "Yet she's nineteen and pregnant and-"

"And I couldn't be happier," Harry finished looking at her sincerely.

Hermione smiled back, the tears threatening to spill over, "You really want to move in with me?"

"No, not just you, but you and our baby."

"Oh, how could I forget about her?" she asked playfully.

Harry cocked an eyebrow, "Her?"

Hermione nodded, "I think it'll be a girl."

Harry smirked, "Of course you do."

Hermione smirked back, "Wouldn't it be perfect if she was like an exact clone of me?" she asked lifting her hands over her head enthusiastically.

Harry laughed, "I'm going to laugh at you when he comes out as an exact clone of me."

"He?" Hermione asked incredulously.

"Yep."

Hermione grinned, "I think you're bonkers, Potter."

"Correction- I know I'm bonkers but that's not the point, is it?"

Hermione laughed, "No, I suppose not."

"Come on, Hermione- what do you say?" he asked, wanting to know if she really wanted to move in with him.

Hermione pretended to think it over, "I say this place has really nice wooden flooring…"

Harry smiled at her.

"And the big windows are nice, too."

"Wait, until you see what the views like," Harry said enthusiastically.

"Are those trees?" she asked, walking over to peer out an open window into the dark Boston view.

"Come on, let's go for a walk," he said, holding out his hand for her. She walked over to him and took hold of it as he led her out down another hall leading to the front door.

"Harry, the neighbourhood is beautiful," said an astounded Hermione as they walked, hand in hand, through the park that was across the street from their flat building.

"Did I do good or what?" Harry asked smugly.

"I already told you that you did good."

"Just good?" Harry prompted giving her a puppy dog pout.

Hermione laughed, "Alright, you did wonderfully, happy?"

"As long as you are," he said back genuinely, dismissing the small pang of guilt as a picture of a small baby boy with blue hair flashed through his mind. How he wished that Teddy could be there to share his happiness instead of being in a new home with a completely strange couple. You'll just have to be patient for now… Harry reassured himself for about the thousandth time. If those people mistreat one hair on his head they'll regret it…

Hermione, oblivious to Harry's musings, smiled and snuggled herself closer to him, "I definitely am, more so than I thought I'd be."

Harry smiled proudly, "I just figured if you got bored one day then your museums and historical sites are only a short walk away," he said, referring to the location of the flat.

"The park is lovely as well. I can't believe you found such a great place on such short notice!"

"You can do anything if you care enough about it," Harry replied.

Hermione smirked, "I hope you care enough to move the stuff out of both our flats and into this one…" she said giving him a mocking look.

"As long as you don't have a whip and slave drive me," Harry joked back.

"Well I don't know about a whip, but I do tend to get a little bossy."

"Bossy?! Who, you?" Harry shot back with a shocked look.

"Ha-ha, you're so funny. I just like my things a certain way…"

"Hermione, please. You're a total perfectionist."

"Well, I have to be now that I'm living with an immature man," she said sarcastically.

"Really?" Harry shot back in an unbelieving tone.

"Yes, really. I'll have you know, you won't be leaving the flat a constant unorganized pigsty, Harry James!"

"Whatever would give you that impression?" he shot back smartly.

Hermione scoffed, "Please, I've seen the way you boys kept your dormitory back at Hogwarts. It was really quite disturbing."

"What, you didn't notice the small part of the room where I slept and kept all my possession clean and tidy?"

"Must have missed it," Hermione said with a small grin.

"Well I'm sure if I do anything wrong here you'll give me a good kick up the arse," Harry said affectionately, squeezing her fingers.

"As long as you don't leave the toilet lid up and put the cap back on the toothpaste, I think we'll be fine," she reassured him lightly.

Harry smiled, "I think I'll manage just those two things."

"Funny," Hermione said nudging him in the shoulder as they continued to walk down the path.

"There's something else," Harry said after a few moments of silence.

Hermione looked up at him, "What?"

"This," Harry pulled out a square maroon box. He handed it to Hermione and allowed her to open it. Inside was beaded ice crystal bracelet, with a onyx stone dangling between two silver angel wings. Engraved on the stone was the word 'Hope'.

Hermione gasped and put a delicate hand to her mouth while still admiring the beautiful piece of jewellery, "What's this for?"

"Well, I had to get you something else in case you shot my idea of the flat down,"

Harry said sensibly, holding the necklace out to her.

"Harry," she said softly, as she delicately touched the angel wings. "Will you put it on me?"

"Of course," Harry nodded, taking it from her and clasping it on her outstretched arm. "Happy birthday, 'Mione."

Hermione smiled widely as she fingered the bracelet gently. The day was turning out perfectly.

Harry reached down to take hold of her hand again as they took of down the lighted path of the Boston Public Gardens. They had been walking for a few minutes when Harry looked over and seen the concentrated look on Hermione's face.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked softly, startling her from her thoughts.

"Ron," she said, causing Harry to make a face, "I just… I mean, what are we going to say?"

"We can tell them whatever you want to," Harry said with a shrug. "We can even tell the lot two different stories."

Hermione frowned, "What do you mean?"

"I mean we don't have to tell them we're going somewhere together."

"Oh, that makes sense. It'll probably be the easiest way…"

"Yeah, and in a year or so, when we're ready to bring our baby back we can just say it happened…" he finished with another shrug. "Hopefully they'll have moved on by then."

Hermione nodded and then had a thought, "What if Ron wants to write or come visit me?"

"Then you can tell him you just want some time to yourself or something. Say you want to be alone for a while…"

"I'll hardly be alone, Harry," she spoke in a whisper.

"And Ron will understand that in due time. He's a good bloke Hermione- he won't hate us for this. He just might need some time to…adjust…"

Hermione nodded and looked up into Harry's eyes, "You're right. I trust you, Harry."

Harry pulled her closer to kiss her head, "I trust you, too."

Hermione smiled, "Good."

"Now, Miss Granger, may I treat you to a famous Boston ice cream cone?"

Hermione grinned, "You may, Mr. Potter."

---

Next chapter on Lies for Love:

"So, um... I better get going. Dad will probably have a coronary when I floo into the living room," she finished with a light hearted grin.

Harry grinned back, "Well if you kill him now, that means I won't be killed when he finds out I got you pregnant."

Hermione swatted at him playfully, "Alright, well we'll meet back here?"

"Yep. Then we'll run away to Boston and have a baby!" he finished raising his hands over his head to emphasize his excitement.

Thank you for the reviews!!!

I hope I didn't loose any of you because they've decided to leave without telling the truth. But this is the path I've chosen for my story, mostly to break away from the cliché of telling the Weasleys and having them hate H & Hr for a bit before the baby's born, then everything's hugs and chuckles.

Again, this story is far, FAR from anything like that and one of my main goals is keeping it light while I still can. Keep in mind that the story's already finished (there won't be any plot holes) and that this is portkey.org.

And also I know it seems like Harry and Hermione have just forgotten about Teddy- again that's just me writing in the heat of the moment and not getting all the details and emotions in. I dropped one bombshell last chapter and now again I'm dropping another on you. I'll revise it eventually but for now this'll have to do.

I think part of Harry's character is not wanting to bring Teddy up-- think of it as him maturing; where as if he was 15 he'd be brooding about it but since now he's 18 and about to be a father he's coping differently.

Until next time!