Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Snogging Chronicles by usako99
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Snogging Chronicles

usako99

Authors Note: Okay all, I'm starting this off with a note to get some things straight before you read the story. First of all there is no fighting, no Voldemort, no Umbridge, no bad stuff besides perhaps the occasional reference. So if you are looking for some fighting action this is not the story for you. However if you are looking for another type of action then this is the place. Which brings me to my second point if you are not old enough to read some serious "action" I suggest that you head to a story without an "M" rating. Now if you have read my stories then you're probably aware that though I do not use crude or vulgar descriptions, I am still very, very descriptive. I just prefer to use a different type of flow and a lot of metaphors for things, as is my way I prefer to create a mental picture so yeah, if you're not old enough to get them developed then turn away. Oh and last but not least I do not own Harry Potter -if you're wondering why I didn't put that first then its because I long ago passed the cape of Captain Obvious on to my beta *smile* Hi Ben!!

The Snogging Chronicles

Chapter 1 - Bright Ideas

Dear Diary,

It seemed like such a good idea at the time… how do I manage to get myself into these things? Bugger.

I mean, it started off simple enough- well, as simple as offering to snog ones best mate can be. No wait, it's not how it sounds, or how I'm making it sound that is, it-it's a lot more complicated than that… or is it less? *sigh* Perhaps I should start from the beginning.

You see it was about two weeks ago when this whole mess began. *grumble* Fie on me for wanting to help out my closest mate. Harry and I had finished going over plans for the next D.A. session later than expected. So, by the time we left the Room of Requirement and came back to the dorm, everyone else was just finishing with their studies and heading off to bed. However, since we had yet to even start on our homework for the next class day, we were left sitting alone in the common room studying- er, okay let's rephrase that. We were sitting in the common room alone, and I was studying, however, Harry was staring at his book with a vacant look that he often gets when his mind is on something other than the text in front of him (usually Quidditch)...

*********************

"Hermione," Harry said finally giving up on the pretense of studying.

"Hum," I responded, completely engrossed in chapter thirty-seven.

After a minute of continued silence I realized that Harry was waiting for me to actually pay attention, so I finally looked up from my book `The Ruination of Runes: A Lesson in History'. Upon seeing my best mates face, I instantly became concerned and made sure to supply him with my full attention.

Harry was looking back at me anxiously, his green eyes held tell-tale signs of worry, his hair was unbelievably even more disheveled than usual and he was fidgeting with the pages of his book.

"Harry?" I inquired softly, with a worried expression. "Is everything ok?"

Harry opened his mouth to respond then, closed it as if he had thought better of it. I gave him an impatient look as I leant forward and sat my book on the table.

"Harry what is it?"

He hesitated briefly. "Nothing, everything's fine," he squeaked, then looked back down at his book.

Giving an irritated sigh I picked up a quill off the arm of my chair and threw it at him, Harry looked back up with a disgruntled expression. "What was that for?"

I arched a brow and gave him a `get real' look before responding. "You know what it was for," I replied verbally, "what's the problem Harry?"

He continued to stare at me without responding, so setting my shoulders I gave him my most determined look. You know, the one that says: `You might as well give up, because I will not rest until you tell me what's wrong… and neither will you'. When he gave a forlorn sigh, I rolled my eyes heavenward.

"Oh come on Harry, since when have you been this melodramatic? I thought that this type of behavior was reserved for Ron." He scowled; I smirked. "You might as well get it over with, you know you want to tell me otherwise you wouldn't be looking at me right now like someone blew up your owl."

When his brows furrowed I knew that it was only a matter of time before he finally cracked. Had I known what he was going to say and where it was going to lead to dear diary let me tell you, I would have been doing something else besides readjusting myself in the plush armchair and smirking at him. Had I known I would not have pushed Harry to tell me but instead gone straight up to bed. But I hadn't known, so I was completely caught off guard with his answer, and that lack of awareness is what I blame for my absurd lapse in judgment.

"I'm in love with Ginny!" he blurted out loudly.

"What?!"

"I'm in love with Ginny…or-well, at least I think I am," he replied, wincing slightly.

Now it was my turn to open my mouth and close it. Harry was in love with Ginny? When in Merlin's beard did this happen?

"Wha-wher-when? Since when?" I asked leaning forward and giving him my most skeptical look.

There was no way he was in love with Ginny, not that there was anything wrong with Ginny, I like her perfectly fine. It was just that Harry has always fancied himself in love with someone ever since he hit puberty. First Cho, then Fleur, now Ginny, in all honesty the boy really did need to find something more constructive to do with his time.

"Since when?" I asked again when he still hadn't responded.

Harry blushed "I don't know… I just-well, I just know that one day it hit me. Like bolt of lightning, or a-"

"-bludger?" I supplied helpfully.

Harry threw me a glare. "No, like, like an epiphany."

"An epiphany?" I asked, my voice laced with amusement.

He scowled even more. "Yes, an epiphany. What's wrong with that?"

"Oh nothing, nothing at all," I replied before spoiling the effect by bursting into laughter.

Harry growled under his breath and then abruptly standing, he began to gather his things.

"N-no, Harry don-don't go, I'm sorry. Really- tru-truly I am."

"Hermione, at least have the decency to stop laughing if you're going to say that," he responded with an annoyed look.

"Okay, okay, okay, I'm sorry," I said, this time with a straight face as I stood from my seat. "I just wasn't expecting that word to come from your mouth." I grabbed his arm and pushed him down onto couch, before taking a seat next to him. "I truly am sorry Harry," I gave him my best `forgive me' look. After I hit him head on with puppy eyes and full pouting lip action, the corners of his mouth quirked and he relented.

"Fine, apology accepted," he then added in a grumble, "see if I ever try to use another eloquent turn of phrase with you."

I gave him a smile before getting to the matter at hand. "So you're in love with Ginny, huh?" He nodded. "So what's the problem? I mean, the girl has fancied you for years."

"Yeah, but…"

"But?" I prompted.

"But that was a school girl crush and I want more, Hermione, I want her to be in love with me like I am with her. I don't want her to just fancy me."

"I'm sure once she gets to know you, the real you, then love's not too far behind."

"Hermione, it's not as simple as that," he responded once again looking worried.

"What do you mean? What makes it so complicated?"

"She's had boyfriends, more than one and her last one-"

"You mean Dean?"

"Yeah, him they-"

"I thought they broke up?"

"They did, bu-"

"So what's the problem?"

"I'll tell you the bloody problem, if you'll let me complete a sentence! Geez Hermione, stop trying to figure out what I'm going to say and just let me say it!" He said loudly with a miffed expression.

"Wow, sorry, sheesh. I was just trying to be proactive, instead of reactive."

"Well right now I'd prefer if you were inactive so I can say what I need to say."

I opened my mouth to respond but when he pinned me with a heated gaze I decided to give him a slight incline of the head to indicate that he should finish instead.

"As I was saying," he paused as if waiting for me to interject before beginning again. "She was with Dean for months and everyone knows that they spent a majority of those months snogging. How am I supposed to compete with that?" I guess I must have looked as confused as I felt because he took it upon himself to elaborate. "The problem is, I'm honestly not sure how many boyfriends Ginny has had or how often she's snogged them. The only thing that I am sure of is that whatever either number was it was more than me. I don't know what to do."

"Okay, help me out here. I'm not trying to be dense but I really have no idea what you're talking about."

"Okay, fine here it is," he took a deep breath "I'm a bad kisser."

"What? Don't be silly Harry."

"I'm not being silly, I mean, I've only ever kissed one girl and she started crying halfway thought it. If that doesn't just scream sorry bloke who can't kiss worth a crap, I don't know what does."

"Oh for crying out loud, Harry," I said giving him and exasperated look. "You know why Cho was crying."

"Well, yeah I guess -but if I were doing it right wouldn't she have been thinking about me?" he asked giving a desperate look.

"Maybe… I don't know, heck, if you ask me, Cho was always a bit dodgy anyway."

"Perhaps but what if the same thing happens with Ginny?"

"Why would Ginny think of Cedric?"

He gave me a look. "Blimey Hermione, don't be daft. I'm not talking about Cedric, I'm talking about Dean. What if she kisses me and thinks of Dean? What if all she can think is of how much better of a kisser he is and then she starts crying too?"

"Ginny… cry? Ok, now who's daft?" I asked raising a brow.

Instead of responding he just gave a dejected sigh and his head fell back onto the pillows. "I'm doomed."

"You are not doomed Harry, you just need to relax. The problem probably isn't even if you can kiss or not, it's probably if you can stop flipping out long enough to do it."

"I don't know what I'm doing Hermione, what if I mess it up? I can't loose her, I can't have another girl that I have feelings for just walk away. I can't mess this up too, I just can't pu-"

"Okay, okay I get it. But what do you plan to do?" He groaned and slapped his hands over his face, rolling my eyes I pulled one of the hands away. "Interesting sound effects but I don't know if they help with your current predicament."

"Hermione," he said in an uncharacteristic whine, before slapping the hand back over his face.

"Ok fine, tell you what I'll help you."

He turned his head slightly and peaked at me though his fingers. "How?"

"Well….I'm not quite sure," he groaned again. "Give me a minute, give me a minute." I tapped my fingers against the table as my mind did it's best to decipher my next move, then it hit me. It was like Harry had so eloquently *chuckle* stated earlier, and epiphany. "Brilliant! I have it!"

Harry looked at me with a hopeful expression. "Well, what is it?"

"It's perfect, I can teach you."

He arched a brow "You?"

Feeling perturbed at the way he said it I glared at him. "Do you have any better ideas? Because if you don't want my help…"

"No, no, of course I want your help I just… well, I didn't know that you had had much… you know, uh, experience with snogging that's all."

"Well," I blushed a bit, "I don't," I held up and hand and continued before he could respond. "Now, now don't worry. I'm still a girl and I still know what a girl likes. Besides just because I don't have a lot of experience doesn't mean I don't know how these things go."

He gave me a dubious look. "Hermione do you have any experience?"

"Yes, and it was better than yours," I answered with a scowl.

He sat up abruptly and studied my face "Who?!"

"None of your bleedin' business! Harry, now do you want my help or not?"

He looked at me unsure for a moment longer before uttering one word that changed my life.

"Yes."

A.N. That's it for chapter one stay tuned for two!!!

-->