Unofficial Portkey Archive

Redemption by usako99
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Redemption

usako99

Redemption

Broken

"What the hell is this?!" Weasley demanded.

I arched a brow and smirked. "A carnival, Weasley. What's the matter, never seen one up close before?"

"I know what the fuck a carnival is you prat," he hissed.

"Ron," Ginny said.

"What? No, better yet, what the fuck are you doing here with him?! Y-you were -you were," he shuttered and then gagged. "I can't even fucking say it."

I rolled my eyes. "Geez Weasley, no one does drama like you."

"Shut up Malfoy!"

"Ginny, what's going on?" insisted Potter in a steely tone.

Ginny flushed. "W-well… I…"

"I thought Malfoy was dating Tiffany?" Potter continued his gaze flicking to the other woman.

"Tiff and I never dated," I supplied with a shrug.

"But the party-"

"I went as her date -not as her boyfriend. There's a difference."

He looked between the three of use for a moment; his right jaw ticking. "So this was all some type of ruse to hide your relationship from us, is that it?"

"Get over yourself Potter; I don't need a ruse for you. And, not like it's your ruddy business, but for your information Ginny and I weren't dating at the time."

"At the time," Potter nodded then looked at Ginny his gaze hard. "How long have you been lying to us? Sneaking around with the likes of him?"

When Ginny just winced and looked down at the ground Potter looked at me once more and I shrugged.

"Four and a half -five months," I stated simply.

All four pairs of eyes shot to Ginny in surprise. "What?!" exclaimed boy Weasley coming out of his odd type of silence. "What the hell Ginny! You-you've been seeing this wanker for five months?!"

"I…" Ginny breathed then slanted me a sideways look. "It's just that-"

"That what?" Ron demanded stepping forward. "Look, I know that things didn't work out with Harry, but you don't have to go to the dark side."

I glared. "This has nothing to do with Potter."

"Oh please," he hissed back.

"Well," chimed Granger, "about five months back would… well it would put us at around Christmas…" she trailed off looking at Ginny, "is that when you guys got together?"

I scoffed. "I don't fucking believe it! You know, regardless of yours -everyone's bloody life does not revolve around Harry fucking Potter!"

"Ginny did you guys get together around Christmas?" Granger inquired again, ignoring me.

"Well yes… but-"

"I knew it, you took advantage of my sister you bloody tosser!"

"I did no such thing; actually your sister took advantage of me," I arched a brow, "all night long in fact."

"Draco!" exclaimed Ginny.

Ron lunged at me, but Harry and Luna grabbed him.

"Stay out of this Malfoy it doesn't concern you," glared Potter.

I rolled my eyes. "It's about me -how can it not concern me?"

"It concerns Ginny and the people who care really care about her," he replied.

I hadn't realized I'd even taken steps in his direction until Tiffany and Ed grabbed my arms.

"Come on you guys cut it out," Tiffany said.

"Yeah, let's just go," added Ed looking over at me.

"Draco please, let me handle this," said Ginny.

"Handle what?" I scoffed. "You're barely making complete sentences. In fact I think that's your first one since they got here."

She looked up and me and gave a huff.

"Get lost Malfoy," Weasley spat.

"You first Weasley," I retorted.

"Draco please," Ginny said putting her hands on my stomach and giving a light push. "Go to your flat, we'll talk later yeah? Please let me handle this… it's important to me."

I glared at Potter and Weasley for a moment longer before looking down at her.

"Fine Red, but I expect to see you later," she nodded and I dipped my head giving her a quick hard kiss.

Pulling back I looked up and saw that Weasley was redder than his hair.

"You keep your fucking disgusting Malfoy lips off my baby sister!"

I smirked. "First of all, my lips aren't disgusting;" I leaned forward a bit, "second of all… they're totally not the only thing I've ever had on your sister."

Weasley's expression went from pissed, to shocked, to disgusted, and back to pissed in a matter of seconds before he ripped out his wand and pointed it at me. I lifted mine also ready for anything he threw my way.

"Ron," Potter hissed grabbing his wand arm and forcing it down, "what the hell are you doing?! We're in a Muggle carnival for Merlin's sake, put that thing away."

Ginny turned to me and pushed my wand down also. "Draco just go," she pled softly.

Giving one last glare to Weasley and one last peck to her, I turned and made my way through the small crowed that had formed to watch the fight. As I slipped past rides, games, and people; I easily lost Ed and Tiffany in the crowd and once I finally found a secluded location behind a ring toss stand, I disapparated from sight.

**************

Three hours later I finally made it home, exhausted from the extensive interrogation that I was submitted to by Harry and Ron. After Draco had left Harry insisted that we go to his place for a more private talk and since a crowd was forming I had no choice, but to agree. Naturally, the "private talk" ended up being more of a lecture and an Auror interrogation than anything. But here it was hours later and I was finally, somewhat, free.

Running my hand through my hair, I headed to the kitchen to make some tea. Filling the pot with water I placed it on the stove and set the fire to a medium setting, then headed to the bathroom to look for some headache potion.

After searching in the cabinet and under the sink, I finally remembered that I had moved the potion to my room the last time that Ed had come over to visit because he had needed to use my restroom. Sighing because nothing could ever be easy, I headed out of the loo and to my room, freezing as soon as I opened the door.

Draco stood from my bed, a small smile flittering over his lips. "It took you long enough Red. How'd it go?"

I opened and closed my mouth. "I… what are you doing here?"

"I figured you'd stop by here before coming to my place. So, I decided to head you off at the pass," he shrugged, coming forward. When he reached out towards me I took a small step back. "Red?"

"I-well, I just was not expecting to see you, that's all…" I breathed. I could not do this right now. I was not ready for another fight.

Draco cocked his head to the side and watched me for a moment. "What happened?"

"You know, the usual," I laughed nervously, "they told me how foolish I was being, that it could never work. The family would never accept us… some additional stuff about you… you know."

"Don't you mean how foolish they thought you were being?" he inquired softly.

I blushed. "Right…"

He nodded slowly. "So what did they say when you told them that we were going to stay together?"

"Well…"

"You did tell them that right? That they can't dictate who you're with?"

I flushed even more. "Not exactly…"

"What exactly? You told them that you wanted to be with me, didn't you?" he insisted taking a few steps so the he was right in front of me.

I kept my eyes trained on his chest. "It's not that easy," I whispered.

He scoffed. "You've got to be fucking kidding me… what did you tell them?" When I shrugged he lifted my chin up so that I had to look at him. "You do know. What did you tell them?"

"Draco," I whispered fighting tears, "we can't… I told you…"

He took several steps away from me and looked around the room for a moment.

"Fine, you're not ready for them to know about us yet -I can handle that," he muttered. "So we keep sneaking around, is that what you want?"

"We can't!" I cried. "They're watching me now. In fact, I'm sure that one of them will probably be over any minute to make sure that I'm okay."

"That you're okay or that you're not talking to me?" he hissed. Frowning, he looked up at the ceiling for a moment then back down at me. "You weren't going to come to me tonight were you?" he accused.

I felt the tears slip from my eyes and looked guiltily at the floor. "It's not that simple…"

"Stop! Saying that!" he bellowed, "It is that simple! You're a grown fucking woman Ginny! They can't stop you from being with who you want to be with -you do want to be with me right?"

I ran a hand through my hair trying to get my brain to work.

"Right?!" he demanded once more.

"Draco…"

He was quiet for a long moment. I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of his erratic breathing, silently wondering what he was thinking, but consciously knowing that I had no right to ask. My eyes snapped open and I stared up at him in surprise when he suddenly grabbed my arms.

"What are you doing Red? I know how you feel about me -are you going to just walk away from this -from us?" His gaze wavered for a moment before coming back to me. I sucked in a breath as I saw the emotion in his eyes. "Red… I… we can't just let go of what we have. I… I love you and…" he trailed off, suddenly looking very uncertain.

Closing my eyes for a moment I centered myself. I had known getting involved with Draco that things wouldn't work out between us. My family was all I had had for most of my life and no matter how I may feel about Draco, I couldn't loose my family for him -I couldn't lose them for anyone.

"Ginny?… Red?" he whispered softly.

I opened my eyes and looked up at him; my expression carefully guarded. "What?" I whispered back silently thanking Merlin when my voice came out mostly steady.

"What?" he scoffed. "I just told you I loved you and-"

"And? What do you want me to say Draco," I replied in my coldest tone.

He stared at me in confusion. "I don't know I was hoping…" he trailed off his skin flushing.

"Hoping that what? I would sing or burst into dance?" I frowned. "Look, what we had was good while it lasted but… I don't... I don't love you Malfoy."

His fractured gaze cut through me though it was only there for a second. The hurt and tears that sprang to his eyes before he snapped them shut and abruptly released me. Turning away from me he let loose a ragged breath running a hand over his face and through is hair before giving a stiff nod and disappearing with a pop. He didn't look back at me, and I wasn't sure how to feel about that. Part of me was glad because it meant he didn't see my tears… yet part of me was sad -for the exact same reason.

*************

I stared at the fire; my gaze unfocused, unseeing. My normally sharp mind reduced to muddle as I unconsciously replayed one of the most painful moments of my life again and again in my head as a type of self-imposed torture.

"Are you even listening to me?"

My gaze snapped to my left where Potter sat in one of my green armchairs. Due to the issue with the Underground Resurrection we still found ourselves thrown into one another's company. This was a fact that neither of us had been very happy about after the situation with -her… however, the Minister had insisted. He said that Potter was his top team leader and I needed to work with the best to pull off what needed to be done. So, we were both stuck with the other- at least until the mission was over.

I frowned at him. "Yes."

He rolled his eyes. "Really? What did I say?"

I opened my mouth and then closed it and shrugged. "Okay -then no."

He sighed. "Malfoy, we're never going to get this done if you can't keep your head in the game. You're meeting with Crabbe and his associate's tomorrow night and for the past two weeks you've had the focus of… well, of a Slytherin."

I frowned and looked back at the fire. "Whatever."

"Wow," Potter breathed.

"What?" I asked looking back at him.

"Nothing. So like I said, when you go tomorrow, you tell them that you weren't able to get Ginny-" he cut off abruptly and I looked over at him.

"What?"

"You."

"What about me?"

"You winced when I said Ginny's name -there you did it again."

"I did not."

"Yes, you did."

"No, I didn't."

"I can totally prove it."

I scowled at him. "Just shut up and let's get on with this."

"Fine," he shrugged. "You'll say that Ginny," I saw him smirk and fought a blush, "skived off on your plans, but you can get her there next week for sure. Then, you need to insist on more information before you can do that."

I frowned. "I'm not really going to take her with me next week am I?"

"No, you're not taking Ginny anywhere; in fact, Ginny's not even really an actual factor. It's just that Ginny's our main source of leverage -well besides you." He smirked again "Ginny."

"Cut it out Potter," I hissed.

He shook his head and leaned back in the chair. "Damn Malfoy, you've got it bad don't you?"

I glared, but didn't answer.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"Aren't we supposed to be talking about the assignment?"

He shrugged. "Fine -since we're not really going to hand over Ginny I need you to milk your time tomorrow for all it's worth. Insist that you've proven your loyalty to them by getting her. We have some fake tickets to the Opera that you can show them as an alibi for where you've told Ginny you're talking her just incase they ask if you can really get her or not." Potter passed me an envelope. "You will have an easy listening charm placed on you, magically concealed of course, so that we can hear the conversation. You need to get in and get as many names, dates, places and times as you can."

"I got it…" I nodded and looked down at the tickets for a moment, "and she's not going to be involved?"

"Who?"

"Red- Ginny."

Potter shook his head. "No, we're keeping her out of harms way. She's going to be with Ron and Hermione tomorrow night just in case."

I nodded. "How… how's she doing?" I asked softly, flushing when Potter cocked a brow at me.

"She's great;" he shrugged, "she seems really happy, she even had a date earlier this week."

I stared at him for a moment as my mind processed what he had just said. `She was great, she was dating…' I took a deep breath and looked down swallowing the lump in my throat `of course she was great. Why wouldn't she be I was the only one stupid enough to fall…' I shook my head.

"That's good," I replied giving Potter a fake smile.

He nodded. "Yes it is," he tilted his head a bit and studied me.

"What?" I asked frowning at him.

"Ginny's a great girl Malfoy… she deserves a great guy."

I scoffed. "And I'm not it."

"She deserves better."

I looked away. "I know," I whispered. I could feel Potters gaze on me, studying me. "I'm going to go get some tea -did you want any?"

"No, thanks."

I nodded and stood; however, I halted half way to the kitchen and took a deep breath. There was something I had wanted to ask Potter for a long time and now seemed as good a time as any to do it.

"Potter?"

"Yeah Malfoy."

I frowned. "That night… of the final battle…"

"Yeah?" he replied softly after a long minute.

"When-when you pulled me from that fire…"

"Yeah…" he said slower.

"Do you -I mean, now -or then," I sighed, clenching and unclenching my hands. "Do you regret it?"

"Regret what?"

I turned and looked at him, he frowned at me.

"Saving my life," I shrugged. "do you regret it?"

He stared at me in shock for a moment before frowning once more. "No -no I don't."

I nodded slowly and headed towards the kitchen again.

"Malfoy!" Potter called, I halted my back still towards him.

"Yeah?"

"Did… did you think I did?" he inquired softly.

I stood there for a moment, thinking about his question before answering it honestly, "Everyday." I replied quietly before disappearing into the kitchen to make my tea.

-----------

I looked around the small warehouse, taking note of the fact that despite its dilapidated exterior, the interior was in truth quite stunning. Cherry hardwood floors throughout the place with several desks to the right and a lounge area up front equipped with cushy couches and chairs, a coffee table with Witch Weekly on the top, several potted plants, and even a small tea service. I also noticed that the windows that appeared to be bordered from the outside were obstruction free from the inside, giving a nice view of the dark waters of the Thames. After briefly taking in my surroundings, my gaze slid over the several men who were assembled in a line located just behind the makeshift waiting area.

"This way Draco," Mr. Crabbe, who had met me at the door, stated. I quietly followed behind him, my eyes scanning the various exits just in case apparation was not possible.

"Hugo," he said as we approached, addressing the largest of the group. "Look who has joined us."

The wizard named Hugo nodded before regarding me curiously. When his gaze flicked to the door then back to me I knew what he was going to ask before he even asked it.

"Where is the girl Weasley?" he inquired in a strangely high-pitched voice.

"She had another engagement, called off on a family emergency," I lied smoothly. "However, I do have tickets for the opera this coming Friday night and she has already agreed to be my date. We will come here instead of course."

"Of course," he muttered a disappointed frown on face.

"Are you sure that you will be able to acquire her?" another man asked, this one a tad bit shorter than Hugo, but twice as skinny. His long face and shrunken in eyes having a slightly skeletal quality and his greasy hair making me wish I had brought along my shampoo.

"Yes. It is all set, she will be here," I stated firmly.

The men nodded.

"Good to know," said another wizard, this one was about my height, but twice my size. His arms were almost the size of tree trunks, his teeth were a tad too white, and the way he said `good to know' somehow made me very uncomfortable.

"Yes well, I have everything set in stone -I've lived up to my end. Now…" I looked over them, "will you gentleman be so kind as to tell me exactly what you need the Weaslette for?"

The beefy wizard chortled at the nickname and was quickly elbowed by Hugo. "Shut up Pratt," he stated.

When the other wizard quickly composed himself, all doubts were erased as to who was the leader of this little ring. Hugo studied me for a moment before giving a small dip of his head.

"Of course, you see we needed the girl Weasley for a very important task."

"Which is?" I arched a brow then frowned. "Needed?"

He nodded. "Yes needed, we don't need her anymore."

My brows furrowed and I shifted slightly when I noticed the cold smiles on their faces. "But… you never had her -why don't you need her anymore?"

"That's easy," he shrugged. "because we already have who we really wanted."

"Potter?" I asked confused.

He smiled wider and shook his head. "You."

Before I knew it, a searing pain ripped though my skull, my eyes watered and I fell to my knees, processing my own hollow scream through the ringing of my ears. As I collapsed to the floor I silently wondered where the hell the Aurors were and just when I couldn't hold on any longer, I felt myself being shifted and the distinct pull of apparation as I was taken further into the unknown.

-->