Unofficial Portkey Archive

Redemption by usako99
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Redemption

usako99

Redemption

Agreements

"The what?" Malfoy hissed, his mouth curling distastefully.

But it was too late. I had already seen his reaction, the initial one before he could change the expression on his face. He knew exactly what I was talking about, and he knew it well.

"The Guardian Angel," I replied studying him. He shifted a bit at the mention of the name, it wasn't much, but it was there. "It's the name that Muggles are calling this mysterious `force' that has been helping people throughout the community."

He gave a hard frown and a shrug "So? What does that have to do with me?"

"That's exactly what I mean to find out," I replied taking several steps towards him.

He shook his head lightly, before pushing his blond hair out of his ghostly gray eyes where the wind had blown it. "I don't know what you're talking about and I don't have time for your prattle."

When he quickly turned away from me, my hand shot out, grabbing his arm. "Oh no you don't," I hissed just a second before the familiar pull of apparation hit me.

----------

I shook my head lightly in an attempt to gain my bearings, distractedly looking around the spacious flat.

"Do you have some kind of aversion to going away?" Draco Malfoy growled throwing me a disgruntled look.

When I gave a negligent shrug in response, he huffed and turned away from me. Going over to a small wet bar, he pulled out a crystal tumbler and poured him a glass of a dark liquid located in a crystalline decanter.

"Aren't you going to offer me one?" I asked slowly walking around the area.

"No," was the clipped response as he took a sip and leaned back against the bar.

He crossed arms his lightly over his broad chest, the right one over the left with the glass resting between his long fingers of his right hand. He was gracefully swirling the dark liquor in a careless, but somehow careful, way that caused the amber substance to slide seductively against the top of the tumbler, but not spill over.

"That's no way to treat a guest," I reprimanded with a smirk.

"You're not a guest you're a nuisance," he replied with a smirk of his own. "And I wouldn't want to do anything to encourage you to stay any longer than -oh, I don't know… now?" he made a wide arch with his right hand towards the door.

I arched an impressed brow when the liquid sloshed against the rim of the glass only to fall back in with nary a drop going to waste. "Reliving your glory days," I smirked ignoring his less than subtle hint and indicating the Slytherin'esque décor of his flat.

"Get out Weasley," he growled.

"Touchy, touchy," I replied holding my hands up defensively. "I was just kidding." He arched a brow to indicate he didn't buy that. "Fine, I was sort of kidding," I gave a careless hitch of my shoulders. "Besides I can't leave until you agree to talk to me about what you've been doing."

"I don't know what you're talking about," he replied with the same bored expression he often used with deflecting.

I rolled my eyes. "Bollocks and you know it," I picked up a copy of a Muggle magazine off of his coffee table and flipped idly threw it.

"What I know is that you're incredibly nosey," he stated snatching the magazine from my hands and tossing it onto the couch. I jumped a bit at the movement since I hadn't heard him cross the room. "I also know that you're obnoxious and that you're trespassing." He sat what was left of his drink down on the glass table and stood before me at his full height, causing me to look up at him.

I gave an annoyed huff; I hated being so bloody short. "I'm not trespassing," I retorted sidestepping him and going to stand behind the armchair where I could look at his face without hurting my neck, "I'm visiting."

"You're encroaching on private property and you need to leave before I make you," Malfoy returned, walking to stand on the other side of the seat.

"Fine," I shrugged, "but first you need to answer my questions."

"I don't need to do anything. Besides, I don't know what you're taking about," he replied.

"Fine, don't answer my questions," I gave another hitch of my shoulders making my way towards the door. He followed me. "I'll just give my evidence over to the Ministry and they can do their own investigations into your recent activities."

"What evidence?" I heard him growl from behind me, I smirked.

Turning, I schooled my features into my most innocent expression. The scowl on his face indicated he didn't buy it -but that was okay. "Why, the evidence I have of your involvement with the Guardian Angel of course," I supplied leaning lazily against the door like I hadn't a care in the world; and his hard gray eyes weren't glaring daggers into my skull.

"What kind of evidence Weasley?" he asked softly after a moment.

I looked down at my nails with a bored air. "Eh, a photo here, an eye witness account or two there," I lied easily, "not to mention the two most damning pieces of all."

"Which are?" he ground out, flexing his hands as if he wished nothing more than to throttle me.

I gave a sunny smile in response. "Why, my own memory," I tapped my head, "of that day with the little girl and the truck. Not to mention the evidence you just provided me with tonight."

His angry look slipped into one of surprise, "What evidence?" he demanded in that same bossy tone he's had since Hogwarts.

I took a deep breath inhaling the smell of his flat before fingering the lapel of his coat once more. "It was like being wrapped in a soft black cloud," I said looking back at him with a smirk. "And it smelled…it smelled like chocolate and spices… like my papa in a sweets factory."

His brows furrowed, "What the hell are you going on about Weasley?"

I rolled my eyes heavenward. "That's what she said that day." At his questioning look I expounded, "The little girl -you know, the one you saved from the truck. That's what she said about her rescuer." Understanding flittered into his eyes and I gave a smug smile once again running my fingers over the expensive coat "This is very nice, what is it cashmere?" I rubbed the collar lightly against my cheek "I suppose it feels just like a child would imagine a cloud to."

He scoffed and turned his head, focusing his gaze on some unseen point on the wall to his right.

"And this whole place has that distinct odor," I looked around pensively. "I'm guessing the chocolate scent comes from the candles… but the spices… Is that some type of cologne or musk?"

A frown pulled at his lips and he looked back at me ignoring my question, "What do you want?"

I gave a self-satisfied smile. "An interview."

"Then what, you turn me over to the Ministry?" he rolled his eyes. "I don't have time for your games Weasley. Just call your Auror boyfriend and get me arrested. Save us both the bother of your B.S."

My brows furrowed, "Auror boyfriend?"

He scoffed, "Oh come on, Potter of course. He is an Auror right?"

"Yes," I sniffed with a disgruntled look "but he is not my boyfriend."

"What's the matter? Dump you for less damaged goods? I thought he'd do anything to be a part of your illustrious family tree."

I glared, "Look you prat, do you want the deal I'm offering or not?"

His haughty look transformed into a suspicious one, "What deal?"

"The one I was going to tell you about before I was so rudely interrupted so you could insult me."

He snorted and rolled his eyes, "Please Weaslette, you hadn't been about to suggest a deal; you had been about to gloat. Save it for someone who hasn't seen you in action."

"Oh you haven't seen me in action yet," I retorted with a smirk, ignoring that obnoxious nickname of his.

He scoffed, "Really? After the little ambush just now, the stalking, and the cemetery, I find myself cringing at the concept. What do you have left in your repertoire, a Muggle style execution shooting?"

I winced a bit at the mention of the cemetery. Against my will, I had actually felt quite guilty about that for days. In fact, my remorse was so intense that part of me had even wanted to find the git to apologize. I'm so happy that part of me isn't here today.

"Maybe," I shrugged after a moment. "Do you want the deal or not Malfoy, I don't have all night."

He shoved a hand in his pocket and ran the other one through his white-blond hair, "That depends on what it is."

"It's simple," I stated; he scoffed. "You give me an anonymous interview and I keep your identity secret from the Ministry."

"And how do you plan to do that?" he frowned with a skeptical look.

I scoffed, "Oh please, have you forgotten who I am or who I know? I mean, even the Minister himself has come to The Burrow to visit the last three Christmases."

He gave a hitch of his shoulders, "So? -By the way, name dropping is an annoying habit."

"So, I'll talk to him or at least talk to Harry, who will surely go to Kingsley for me. I will get the O.K. to do the story without revealing my source." I made a dismissive motion, "I've done it before. -Oh and by the way, you would know," I finished with a smirk.

"Yeah well this involves countless Muggles and their newspapers." He pressed ignoring my last comment.

"So?" I returned with a hitch of the shoulders, "They think it's an Angel, the word wizard or witch isn't even a possibility so it should be fine."

He continued to watch me for a second and I fought the urge to fidget under his direct gaze. I had had Malfoy glare at me with those eyes of his, he'd given me mocking looks, they had even shone merrily with his cruel laughs, but I'd never been really scrutinized by them. It was… to say the least, a bit unnerving. His eyes gleamed lightly in the dim glow of the room's lamps and they were oddly direct, and surprisingly intelligent, as they studied my own. I lifted my chin a notch to show him that if he was trying to intimidate me, I wasn't worried. He arched a brow at the movement and the scrutiny in his eyes was replaced with a gentle amusement. I fought a frown at the flutter that the simple change caused in my stomach and held out my hand.

"So what do you say? Do we have a deal?" I asked raising my brows.

After a momentary hesitation his large hand reached out and clasped my own, my startled gaze flew to his. His hand was a lot warmer than I thought it would be, and his grasp was surprisingly gentle, "Deal."

I quickly pulled away after giving his hand a single shake and nodded lightly, "Okay… well, now that that's decided, we need to set up an interview time."

He crossed his arms over his broad chest once more, his feet moving to a more relaxed wide stance. My gaze unconsciously filtered over his body. As my eyes made their way from his feet to his face, I noticed that he looked amused once more.

I frowned at him, fighting a blush, "When did you get so bloody big anyway?"

Malfoy gave a low chuckle, and I winced when the sound made my stomach flutter again. "No idea," he said a moment later with a one shouldered shrug, "guess it was a growth spurt or something. That, and a bit of boredom mixed in I suppose. After all, I haven't really had much to do lately other than work out, eat, read and get trailed by barmy redheaded reporters," he smirked when I rolled my eyes. "Oh! Yeah, I also go to the Muggle cinema to watch films. It's actually a pretty good way to pass the time," he finished with a thoughtful look.

"Riiight," I breathed shaking my head. This was just too bloody weird. "So then, it's safe to assume that you're free tomorrow evening?"

He rolled his eyes, "It's safe to assume I'm free most evenings," he replied shifting lightly from foot to foot in an oddly boyish action.

I smiled at him before I realized it. "Well good then," I shrugged out of his coat and held it out to him.

"You might still need it," he frowned.

My brows rose for like the ninetieth time tonight, Malfoy being considerate of my needs? Wonders never cease. "No I won't," I replied tossing it to him, he caught it deftly with one hand. "I'm apparating out of here as soon as we're done."

He nodded "Alright… tomorrow then? What time?"

"Six pm," I answered pulling a quill and small pad of parchment from my interior coat pocket. "We'll meet at my flat; I'd prefer to do the interview there."

"Home court advantage?" he asked accepting the piece of parchment that I had scribbled my address and instructions onto; I gave him a surprised look at the very Muggle term.

"You could say that," I replied slowly.

He nodded and looked down at the parchment. "Tomorrow at six it is then."

"Okay… don't be late," I warned wagging a finger sternly.

His lips turned slightly at the corners "Yes mum."

I rolled my eyes and shot him one last glare before disappearing with a `pop'.

***************

I looked down at my expensive watch as soon as I appeared in the quiet alleyway. `Twenty minutes early,' I thought to myself with a shrug. `Oh well, she said not to be late; she didn't say anything about being early'. With that thought, I headed out of the narrow walkway and made the short one block trek to Ginny Weasley's building. Scanning the names on the card on the door, I quickly located the one labeled `Weasley/Spencer' like her instructions said, and rung up.

"What?" an agitated voice answered after my second ring.

"Working on your people skills I see," I drawled into the small intercom recognizing Weasley's voice.

"Malfoy?" she said after a moment.

"None other."

"You're early," was the rude reply.

I sighed. "You said don't be late, so I'm early. Now can you open the door, I'm freezing my ruddy bal- er, fingers off out here?"

I heard what sounded like a small snort just one moment before a buzz sounded indicating that I could enter. Grabbing the handle, I quickly rushed into the warm building, heading up a flight of stairs and to the last door at the end of the hall. I only had time to knock once at flat 9C once before the door was yanked open.

Ginny Weasley looked up at me impatiently, her hair pulled into a messy ponytail, her brows furrowed, and a frown pulling at her lips.

"You're early," she repeated with a small glare.

"And you're repetitive," I stated in a bored tone, "yet I seem to be able to move on."

"I was in the middle of an important call."

I smirked, "Fine, I'll leave."

At that, I disapparated with a pop, stifling an amused laugh at the outraged bellow and the several very un-lady like expletives the younger woman spat at my disappearance when I appeared a few feet behind her a scant second later.

"You know you really should clean up your language," I commented in a droll tone, smirking once more when she whirled around in surprise. "What will the neighbors think?"

"They'll think that some huge prat is here getting on my nerves that's what they'll think," she replied kicking the door shut.

I gave a low chuckle and looked around the flat. "Nice place," I commented pulling off my gloves.

"Ha-ha," she replied with a small glower, moving to the dining room table and manually clearing off several stacks and piles of parchment.

"What?" I arched a brow, "I was being serious."

"Whatever Malfoy," Weasley replied saying my name in that oh so annoying way of hers. "Look, just because your gloves cost more than my couch doesn't mean that I should have to put up with your backhanded compliments."

I arched a brow and looked down at the dragon hide glove that was halfway off my hand before looking at her once more. "You know how much my gloves cost?"

She paused and shot me a glare "No, of course not. Don't be stupid."

"Well I don't know how much your couch costs so how can either of us know which is more expensive?"

She gave me a "yeah right" look and I rolled my eyes. Okay, so she probably had a point, but did she have to be so bloody rude about everything!

"Let's just get this over with," she commented pulling out a chair at the now clear dining room table and making a motion for me to sit.

"Isn't it customary to offer a guest some tea?" I inquired with a grin, just to annoy her.

"Yes it's customary to offer a guest tea," she responded stressing the word guest and arching a brow to indicate I was anything but.

"Fine, be petty and uncivilized if you want," I made a careless gesture, suppressing a grin when she frowned again. Walking over to the seat, I took my gloves the rest of the way off and moved to sit them down on the table, I paused a second before they touched the surface. "Hey Weasley?"

"What?"

"How much does this table cost?" I smirked.

"Just sit," she spat turning to grab a quill off of a nearby shelf.

I laughed quietly and took a seat in the chair, not even bothering to take off my coat because I doubted she'd give me time to put it back on before kicking me out once we were done.

"Okay," she said a moment later setting the self writing quill up. "Check one, check two."

The feather quill immediately began to jot down onto the long roll of parchment, the words `Check one, check two,' coming out in a somewhat girly, legible script. Weasley gave a nod upon seeing that it was working and turned her head to look at me.

"Okay, I'll start," she said looking down at a piece of paper that she had written some questions down on.

"Actually I will," I cut in, she looked at me surprised with a twinge of annoyance shining in her eyes, but I continued on ignoring her. "Did you talk to Potter?"

She rolled her eyes, "Of course."

"And?"

"And, just like I said, I have the go-ahead, the Minister will not press me for my source," she shrugged averting her gaze.

"And?"

"And what?"

"Exactly," I persisted with a small glare, "don't lie to me Weaslette, what are you leaving out?"

"Nothing," she spat, obviously annoyed.

"Lying again, it's such a nasty trait."

"You would know."

"Tell me or I walk," I responded tired of games.

"Fine," she huffed, "there's one small condition."

"What kind of condition?"

"A small one."

"Cut the crap Weasley, what is it?"

She sighed and looked at me once more, "You have to stop."

"What?"

"You can't help Muggles anymore. The Minister won't press the issue as long as there's no longer an issue to press."

I stared at her in a mild form of shock. Not help Muggles? But… but, that was the only time I felt alive. The only time I felt human, felt needed. I can't just stop!

"You have to," Weasley stated in a serious tone, somehow figuring out my train of thought. My gaze focused on hers. "The Ministry is aware of the issue now and they know that I know who's doing it. They will get the information one way or another. And no offense Malfoy but-"

"That's usually what someone say's when they're about to say something extremely offensive," I interrupted.

She gave an unapologetic shrug, "I'm not going to risk my career, or my friendships, for you. If you continue what you're doing, then I'll have to come clean and tell Harry, and the Minister, what I know."

I let my head fall back and stared at the ceiling. I was as good as trapped. Shite! Sighing, I looked down at Weasley once more. "And what happens if I break the condition?"

She frowned, "I don't know… look," she sighed, "I don't know why you're doing what you're doing Malfoy. But I do know that Muggles were making it without your help for a very long time so it's not inconceivable that they could do it again." I looked away. "I'm not saying that what you're doing is wrong, how can I when you've saved the lives of two little girls. I don't know why, but I'm sure you have your reasons. In fact, I hope to find out what they are today…" she shifted and I looked back at her again, my expression guarded, "however you can't keep it up. You risk exposing the whole wizarding community to Muggles. Just… just think about it before you throw yourself to the wolves, okay?"

I stared at her a moment longer, my expression hard and my eyes blank before giving her a stiff nod.

"Okay," she sighed. "So on with the interview?"

I gave her another stiff nod and looked down at my rich black gloves on the dark wood dining room table.

"Well, I guess we should start from the top. Why?" I looked at Weasley and she elaborated. "Why are you doing it? I mean, what's in it for you?"

I scoffed, "Of course, something has to be in it for me right? I can't just be doing it because I want to help."

"Why do you want to help?"

"Why do you?" I sat forward in my chair, "When you help someone, what is your reason behind it?"

"I-I… this isn't about me," she frowned.

"Isn't it?"

"No. It isn't," the redheaded woman gave a frustrated huff and ran a few fingers through her ponytail. "Fine, let's come back to that one," she muttered after a moment. "Who was the first person that you helped?"

I looked at the wall for a second as if contemplating her answer, but the truth was I knew. I would never forget the little curly haired toddler in the pink dress with white poka dots. Chewing thoughtfully on my lip for a moment, I gathered just how much of this first instance I wanted to tell her before looking up and relaying the day's events.

"Well, it was a little girl… no more than five or so. She had lost her hold on her pink ba-"

"Whew, that was the day from hell." I turned my head to see a dark haired woman closing the front door behind her. "You know I have never been so happy to see the inside of this crappy little flat then I am…" she trailed off finally noticing my presence, "-right now," she finished with a small smile.

Weasley rolled her eyes, "You were supposed to be working late tonight Tiffany."

"True," the dark haired beauty replied giving Weasley a quick look before returning her attention to me, "but Mr. Latamore went on a rampage and I'm not risking my neck, or job, hanging around there. I rushed home a soon as possible, hoping for a nice bath to wash away today's stress."

"Good," interjected Weasley, "why don't go to see to that while I conduct my interview."

Tiffany's eyes flew back to her friend "Your intervi-" they shot back to me. "The Angel?" She whispered before grinning, "You're the Angel! I knew you looked familiar!"

Weasley groaned.

"I, uhh…." I frowned and gave the redhead a look.

"Oh sorry, I'm Tiffany, Tiffany Spencer -Ginny's flat mate," the brunette declared sticking out her hand.

After a small hesitation, I took it and gave it a light shake, "Draco Malfoy."

"So I've heard," she replied with an impish smile and a wink. "Can I get you some tea Mr. Malfoy, or is Draco okay?"

A smile pulled at my lips, "Draco's fine."

"Good, Draco," she responded with a grin.

"It may be a while on the tea," Weasley said, "Tiff makes it the Muggle way."

"Really?"

Tiffany nodded, however before she could comment further, Weasley spoke once more.

"Well she is a Muggle, so it would make sense, don't you think?"

I threw the redhead a surprised look before returning my attention to the brunette. She was a Muggle? Tiffany was watching me curiously and I knew that they were waiting to see my reaction. Weasley looked like she was expecting me to wipe my hand off on my coat or something.

"A Muggle, really?" I repeated after a moment, Tiffany nodded. "Wow… I've never really spoken to a Muggle before. Well, I have, but it was usually small things like to place an order or saying a quick `good day' -but I've never had a full on conversation."

"Did you want to?" She asked with a grin.

Finding it infectious, I grinned back, it had been a while since anyone had been so openly friendly towards me. "Sure, I'd love to. I actually have several questions if you don't mind."

"Of course not, just let me get the tea on," she said taking a step towards the kitchen.

"May I watch?" I asked with a small smile. "I mean I know it's not complicated, but I find myself curious about Muggle habits and ways of doing things."

"Merlin you sound like my dad," Weasley muttered.

Tiffany laughed, "Sure no problem."

"Hello? We've got an interview to conduct here," the red haired woman stated in a peeved tone.

"We've got time," I said with a dismissive wave of the hand.

"Yeah, it won't take long," Tiffany added heading to the kitchen. I followed.

As we rounded the corner into the small area, I heard several more colorful words from the redhead in the other room.

The brunette laughed, "Someone really ought to give those brothers of hers a sound thrashing for teaching her those words."

I quirked a brow, "Maybe they're not the ones in need of a thrashing."

Tiffany turned and looked at me just as the other woman muttered her most colorful oath of the night.

"Perhaps you're right," she laughed.

Instead of responding, I gave her a wink and proceeded to assist her in gathering cups from the cabinets as she retrieved the teapot. It looked like my night was going to be a lot more interesting than I thought.

A.N. Well that's if for this chapter. What do you think? Like it, Love it, Hate it? There are people reading but few reviewing, I personally think this is on of my better stories but it doesn't matter what I think. What do you think? PLEASE REVIEW and let me know!

-->