Unofficial Portkey Archive

Redemption by usako99
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Redemption

usako99

Redemption

Expectations

They say what goes around comes around. God, I hope not. If so, then I hope that I can change my lot before it comes back around to me. I gave a small, satisfied smirk as the woman finished looking through her purse, a relieved smile on her face because everything was there. The muggle officers had the young man who had tried to snatch the item pinned to the cold, hard ground as he struggled lightly. Several witnesses recounted excitedly how the young man had just flown into a nearby wall, as if hit by some unseen force. My brows rose and I gave a tiny smile as the words "guardian angel" began to float through the crowd. Chucking to myself, I made my way smoothly away from the scene.... Guardian Angel? Ha! I had been called almost every name in the book, and I'm quite sure that neither "angel" nor "guardian" had ever made the cut. As I stuffed my hands into my thick, black great coat and hurried across the street, I was surprised to come face to face with not one, but two of the people that I had dreaded seeing since my return.

Harry Potter and Hermione Granger looked at me with expressions of surprise, though the former's face quickly turned to one of annoyance. Heaving a sigh, I briefly considered letting myself off with a small nod to each before hurrying on my way. In fact, it looked to be what they had planned to do and expected in return. I knew, however, that I had a lot coming around where Harry Potter was concerned, so there was really no use in avoiding the inevitable.

"Uh…" I cleared my throat "Potter," I gave him a nod. "Granger," I exhaled noisily. "Fancy meeting you here."

Potter gave a skeptical look at my greeting while Granger regarded me warily.

"Uh… Malfoy," she said softly, her tone still carrying the haughty tilt that I was used to from our Hogwarts years. "I suppose it is… honestly I… well, this is the last place that I would have ever thought to come across you." She finished with an uneven smile, giving a small sweep with her gloved hand to indicate the muggle neighborhood.

"Yeah," added Potter, his brows furrowing. "What are you up to?"

I started a bit at the point-blank way in which he had stated his question, distractedly noticing the discreet elbow issued by Granger to his midsection. Giving a light shrug, I cocked my head to the side and looked around the area.

"Nothing," I replied, looking back at them once more. "I just enjoy going for walks nowadays. I find them relaxing, and I find muggle neighborhoods to be the best place to escape my…public persona." I gave Potter a meaningful look and he flushed a bit.

"Muggle?" Granger inquired, her brows practically touching her hairline.

I gave a crooked smile. "Yes, muggle, you know, non-magical folk," I continued in a mock whisper, my eyes shining with amusement.

Granger opened and closed her mouth while Potter glared.

"Whatever, Malfoy," he spat; I frowned. "You better hope I don't find out what you're really up to," he continued with a glower. Reaching down he grabbed Granger's hand. "Come on, Hermione, let's go."

As he pulled her across the street, in what I believe was an attempt to get further away from me, Granger threw me another bewildered look. I tried to smile in response, but my lips would no longer turn that way. Burrowing deeper into my coat as the wind picked up a bit, I attempted to gather my thoughts. I don't know why I allowed myself to be upset by Potter's response, it was what I had expected… in fact, it was a lot better then I had expected. Even though our last real interaction at Hogwarts had been when he had saved my life, I knew that Harry's ill feelings about me had not instantly dissipated anymore than mine about him had. Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if he had hexed me first and asked questions later, so the fact that all he did was threaten to find out what I was up to was quite good. Especially since I wasn't "up to" anything…well, not anything bad at any rate. Although using magic to help muggles could probably get me into an immense amount of trouble with the Ministry, but I'll worry about that when it happens.

Hurrying down the street, I kept my head lowered in an attempt to combat the wind and the curious looks that I was receiving now that I was once more in the wizarding community. More and more people turned to assess me as I hurried past, and though I couldn't see them I could feel their gazes. Most had an idea who I was, though they still seemed to want conformation of the obvious -and yes it was obvious. The platinum Malfoy blond hair is a dead giveaway. Very few people have this shade, so blond it's almost white and my father and I were the only two in the London wizarding circles with it. In fact, I fancy that it was my hair, not my face that gave away my identity when I returned. Ah, the joys of being a Malfoy….

------------------------

I kept my expression neutral as I looked at the gentleman sitting in front of me. This was my chance and I didn't want to blow it. Clearing my throat, I allowed my eyes to shift to the fire as a log cracked in the background, and did my best not to fidget nervously with the sleeves of my expensive suit.

"Yes, sir," the small, dark haired secretary said, bobbing her head up and down to emphasize her point.

"So, by tomorrow, then," the gentleman stated, "no later. Tell him I must have my answer or we cannot help him."

"Tomorrow, or we cannot help," she repeated, reminding me vaguely of a parrot.

A subtle smile twisted the right corner of my mouth at the thought.

"We have no time to waste, so let him know that sooner would be preferable," the gentleman stressed, moving one missive from the top of the stack in front of him to a basket on the end of the desk labeled `Finished Items'.

"No time to waste, sooner preferable," the parrot squawked, jotting down the information on her small pad of parchment.

"That will be all, Mrs. Hemple."

"Yes, sir," she gave a light dip of her head in respect before her curious gaze flicked to me once more.

When I offered her a small smile she frowned and quickly turned, bustling out of the large office.

"Would you like a cup of tea, Mr. Malfoy?" the gentleman inquired, motioning towards a tray that the dark haired parrot had brought upon entering.

"No, thank you, Minister," I replied with a subtle smile.

Minister of Magic Kingsley Shacklebolt nodded his bald head slightly at me, and with a flick of his wand poured and summoned his own cup of tea. As he manually added the correct amount of sugar from a small jar on his desk, I once again studied the office. It was a large area, no less then you would expect for the Minister of Magic. To my left a giant fireplace crackled merrily away, tall enough that should the Minister want to floo somewhere he would not have to stoop down any, just step right in and go. On either side of the fireplace sat two large portraits, both of previous ministers. I noticed with quiet amusement that neither one was Fudge or Scrimgeour.

"So, Mr. Malfoy," Minster Shacklebolt said, stirring his tea. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

My eyes went back to the large man situated behind the even larger mahogany desk. His hefty hands looked oddly out of place as they grabbed the handle on the small teacup and brought the steaming drink to his lips.

"Well, you see, Minister, I was wondering if… well, if I could get a job here at the Ministry," I answered, mentally cursing myself for the stumble part way through, and the small waver in my tone.

His dark brows rose in surprise. Whatever he had been expecting, this was not it. He sat the tiny cup back down onto the saucer with a grace that belied his size and cocked his head to the side, watching me curiously.

"I must admit, Mr. Malfoy, I had not thought that would be what you sought," he stated with a slightly amused look.

I arched a brow in response, deciding that I didn't even want to know what he thought I was going to ask about. "Well, it is," I stated with a cool smile. "So do you think that you can help?"

His amused expression fled to be replaced by a grim one as he reached out with his hand and tapped a floating ball with his finger. As the tiny, blue ball ticked back and forth, his brown eyes watched it, and a frown pulled at the corner of his lips. Shifting despite myself, I adjusted in the comfortably padded chair. This did not look good. Sighing, I allowed my eyes to wander to the area behind the minister. A small cabinet, about waist high and filled with various books on a range of topics, rested against a cream colored wall. On top of the shelf there were several photos and knickknacks, including one of a small girl in a white dress with pigtails and ribbons, and a small figure of a man on a broom. The figure floated in the air above a wooden base, and every once in a while the man would change directions, looping around in a wide arc as if on some invisible path. As my gaze filtered to the awards and commendations, several from his work during the war, the Minister spoke once again.

"Well," he sighed, "what kind of work is it that you're seeking?"

I looked back at him "I don't know…. I passed my N.E.W.T.s with qualifications in several fields." I summoned the parchment from my robe, which was hanging on the rack at the front of the office, and levitated it over to the Minister. "I specialized in business and intelligence."

He unrolled the parchment, his eyes scanning the contents; I smiled. I had worked my arse off in that American school, it wasn't as advanced as Hogwarts in some aspects, but it wasn't a cakewalk, either. I had received O's in almost all of my subjects, and absolutely no T's.

"This is impressive, Mr. Malfoy," Minister Shacklebolt said, rereading some of the scores and qualifications that I had received.

"Thank you, sir." I grinned. "I know I can be a great asset to the Ministry."

"I don't doubt that you could." He looked up at me. "If I were able to let you be a member of my staff."

My smile faltered. "What do you mean?"

He exhaled slowly and re-rolled the parchment. "I mean, that the war is still fresh, Mr. Malfoy, and so are your actions within the war. I've finally gotten this establishment rebuilt after it was destroyed by Voldemort and his minions, and I can't risk allowing you in."

I frowned. "So you think I'm a threat?"

"Maybe," he conceded with a nod. "If not to security, then to morale." He shrugged slightly and leaned back in his seat. "Your actions, as well as the actions of your family for many generations, are a sore spot amongst wizards, and I honestly don't see how you would be able to work well within a department."

I clenched my jaw shut and looked blankly at one of the many accreditations on the wall behind him. As my eyes scanned over the many thanks from the office of the muggle Prime Minister, signed by the man himself, I slowly began to relax a bit. It was to be expected. I just had to show him that he was wrong.

"Well, Minister," I said quietly, looking at him once more and attempting a bit of a smile. "I understand your concerns, however, I think that it is something that I can overcome if you give me the chance. How about a trial period… just a chance to work in an area for a couple of months? If things don't go well, or I can't get on with my co-workers, then I'll be on my way… what do you think?"

Both of his brows rose, and he tilted his head slightly. "I think not, Mr. Malfoy."

"Why not?" I quizzed harshly, before looking down and taking a deep breath. I hated it when I came out sounding like a petulant child. It was what people expected of me, and I was trying hard to change that misconception, yet I had done it again.

I looked back up a moment later to notice a smile on Minister Shacklebolt's face, and cringed internally upon realizing that it didn't reach his eyes. I had done what he had expected, and therefore made his point for him. It was as good as over.

"Mr. Malfoy, I realize that `no' is not a word that you often hear," he smiled dryly.

I schooled my features to a neutral expression, unwilling to humiliate myself any more by showing him how much his words upset or hurt me. "Actually, sir, I hear it quite often. Especially lately," I replied with a fake smile of my own. "May I ask why I can't even get a chance to prove myself?"

The Minister sat forward once more, his gaze flicking to the still moving ball for a moment, and then back to me. "You know… Albus Dumbledore was one of my oldest and closest friends."

I snapped my eyes shut and inhaled deeply. So that was his game. Scoffing, I shook my head slightly. "You know that we all make mistakes." I opened my eyes and looked him in his. "Especially in our youth." Standing, I straightened out my suit. "So, now that I know where we stand, I guess we have nothing more to discuss. Thank you for your time and for agreeing to see me, Minister. I'm happy that I could provide you with what you wanted."

He stood also, and raised a questioning brow at my last comment. "And what would that be, Mr. Malfoy?"

I arched my own brow at him, and smirked slightly. "Why, the chance to tell me `no' of course… why else would you agree to meet with me?" I stated.

The Minister opened his mouth to respond, but was cut off when the door banged open.

"Kingsley!" exclaimed Harry Potter, in a winded tone. His dark hair was practically standing on end, and his chest was rising and falling rapidly as if he had just run a marathon. Or at least run from the Auror's department to here. "I heard Malfoy is coming to see you! What the hell is that about? You know that that prat-"

He cut off, finally noticing my presence.

"Potter," I stated dryly, with a mocking smile.

His mouth snapped shut, his jaw clenching as he gave me a stiff nod. "Malfoy."

My smile lingered and my gaze flicked between him and the Minister. "Well, as I was saying, I'll take my leave." Grabbing my robe, I put it on. Ignoring the small looks exchanged between Minister Shacklebolt and Potter, I closed the heavy garment and turned to address them once more. "I know the way, so I'll see myself out. Oh, and you have nothing to worry about, Potter, the Minister was just reminding me of my new place in society." I put on my gloves, looking between the two once more. "As for what I wanted, well, I don't doubt that your good friend Kingsley," I stressed the name, "will tell you once I'm gone. Then the two of you can have a good laugh -on me, I'm sure."

Giving a stiff nod, I brushed past Potter and swept out of the office. Ignoring the small scowl from the parrot behind the desk, and the dark glares from the guards posted by the doors, I made my way out of the area. I paid no heed the click of the door to the Minister's office closing, the fact that Potter was still inside, and the mix of anger and hurt that they were both probably laughing at me right now for my foolish attempts to fit in once more…. After all, it was what I had expected. That made it all okay… right?

-->