Unofficial Portkey Archive

Adrift by dumbles
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Adrift

dumbles

Title: Adrift

Summary: It was supposed to be the perfect holiday, but a tragic accident plunges Harry and Hermione adrift in to a new, uncertain life.

Rating: PG-13 for language and adult themes

Authors Notes: Hello readers! First, I want to start with a massive apology!

Remember how back in my notes for chapter 19 I mentioned that my computer was in the shop? Well, I got it back and it worked great, but... it then exploded. Not literally, but it died all together on me. I was incredibly grateful that I had a feeling that it was going to do it and I saved everything onto my 1TB external.

Problem was, I was without a computer. And very broke and unable to buy one.

So I scrimped and saved my pennies and was finally able to buy a new computer! Yay! So I'm back now and going to get this finished (albiet a lot later than what I intended!). But rest assured, I had never forgotten you!!!

TWENTY ONE

After almost two weeks, James was allowed home. Harry had arranged for a private healer to stay with them and fix him magically. He would be back to new in no time.

Molly had all but moved in with them as well. Once James was awake, she had taken it upon herself to take control of everyone. She had kicked Harry out of the hospital for a full day, and he took Lily, Albus, Rose and Hugo to the zoo for something to do.

Hermione had fully stocked their kitchen and Molly had made a good dent in those stocks preparing massive meals.

Once James was home, Harry began spending at least two hours a day with him. They played chess or cards and just talked. After spending the best part of a year being angry with each other for no reason, and spending all their time before that not knowing each other, it was nice for both. James taught Harry how to play poker, something he had never learnt. James was surprisingly good and told Harry all about the poker club he'd set up amongst his year at Hogwarts.

Harry had been waiting for James to mention the other boys that had been in the car, but he never did. The funerals for the two that died had been held and whilst he saw James read about them in the paper, he never once mentioned going.

After a week at home, with magic healing him, he was well enough to walk and a cheer erupted for him the first morning he walked down to breakfast on his own. Teddy had joined them for the meal, to see how James was, and despite the protests from the healer and his grandmother, James went for a walk around the yard with Teddy.

'So no more muggle escapades?' Teddy asked and James laughed weakly.

'Quidditch is safer than a sports car,' James told him.

'From what your dad's told me, you're lucky to be able to play Quidditch. You came quite close to dying.'

'I know,' James said. 'I'm so glad I was in a coma and wasn't aware of it. But in the car, I thought I was dead. And you want to know something stupid?'

'What?'

'My last thought in the car was that I was going to die a muggle,' he said with a laugh. 'I didn't even deserve to die doing some cool magic.'

Teddy laughed.

'I notice things with you and Harry are good.'

'You were right,' James smiled. 'It wasn't too late.'

'What about you and Al?'

'He still annoys me, but I don't feel so angry anymore,' James looked uncomfortable for a moment. 'I don't know what happened, but when I woke up, I just didn't feel angry anymore. About anything. It was like waking up with a clean slate.'

'Maybe you just needed to let go, and the coma helped?'

'I dunno,' James shrugged. 'Looks like I'd better get back inside.'

The healer and Molly were glaring out at them from the kitchen window. Teddy laughed.

'You just look after yourself, kid.'

~*~

By the time September arrived, James had made a full recovery from his injuries and had been delighting his visiting Hogwarts friends with his thrilling tale of survival from the muggle killing machine.

Harry couldn't believe it when he realised that it was the last day of the holidays. He had spent the entire day washing school robes and helping track down books and other supplies.

Hermione came over with Rose and Hugo in the afternoon, bearing all the required shopping from Diagon Alley. Taking all five teenagers to the busy shopping strip was a bad idea, from past experience, and so Hermione had offered to do the shopping for them all.

It was hard for Harry to pretend things were normal with Hermione, but a silent agreement had been reached that they would try in front of the children. Aside from her few visits here and his fewer visits to her, they still hadn't really spoken.

'How have you been?' Hermione asked him, bringing a pile of dirty plates into the kitchen after their very noisy dinner in the lounge room.

'Pretty good,' Harry replied, waving his wand and getting the dishes to clean themselves. 'Busy, with the kids and work. It'll be a relief to get them back to school!'

'How have things been with James?'

'Wonderful,' Harry said, with a genuine smile. 'I think the accident scared him a lot. He's been a fantastic kid lately.'

'Are you drinking?'

Harry stopped, his wand in mid air from stacking dishes in the cupboard again. He spun around and faced her, but she wasn't looking at him.

'My son almost died,' he said softly.

'I know. But have you been drinking?'

'If you have to ask, you obviously don't know me too well.'

'I obviously don't,' she said tartly. 'Considering I never thought you'd be stupid enough to drown your problems in alcohol.'

'Yeah, well, I was stupid. But almost losing my son made me re-evaluate a few things.'

'I wish I could believe that,' she sighed sadly.

'Believe what you want,' Harry snapped and turned to walk out of the kitchen. 'I know the truth and that's all that matters.'

He passed through the lounge room, ignoring the kids and went straight upstairs to his study. He could hear footsteps behind him and he had just sat down when Hermione walked in and stood in the doorway and folded her arms.

'I'm sorry I didn't believe you.'

'No you're not,' Harry said with a shrug. 'You're sorry that I'm madder than I was.'

'What can I say Harry?' she said, throwing her hands up and rolling her eyes. 'It's not like you've given me a reason to believe you.'

'You're right, I haven't. Except for however many years we've been friends. Doesn't that give some sort of automatic trust?'

'It obviously doesn't matter to you how long we've been friends for. You don't want anything to do with me.'

'And now you're just being absurd!' he said with a half laugh. 'What on earth makes you think I don't want anything to do with you?'

'Well,' she started and then stopped.

'Don't even think about saying that I haven't talked to you. It's a bit hard when we're fighting.'

She folded her arms again and just stared at him. And as they stared at each other, Harry knew that their fight was over. It was strange how they could just get over something in an instant.

'So tomorrow's going to be a big day. What time does your portkey leave?'