Unofficial Portkey Archive

Adrift by dumbles
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Adrift

dumbles

Authors Notes: Hi all, hope you all had a good Easter (if you celebrate it, that is). Hope you enjoy the chapter, I'm looking forward to your reviews! TWENTY THREE

Dear Harry,

Can you believe it's almost Halloween? Time is just flying. Do you remember the first Halloween we had at Hogwarts, when we defeated the troll? I should've known then that being friends with you would only bring disaster my way! But I wouldn't have had it any other way. I'm kind of glad sometimes that we got up to so much mischief- it's given me a good eye for it now and poor Rose and Hugo can't even think about doing anything without me knowing what they're up to!

I'm still really enjoying myself here in Australia. My role is mainly socialising and networking within the community, making friends who could become allies for us in the future. I never thought I would enjoy work like this, but I really do like it. It's fascinating meeting the locals here and observing them- you'd think seeing as though the Australians are descendant from the British our customs and habits would be similar, but even the language is different! It took me a little while to get used to them referring to the loo as a 'dunny'. And nothing bothers the Australian's on staff- nothing! The most common response to a question is 'no worries'.

Not to mention that it's also very nice that the weather is starting to get nice and warm with summer on the way.

And before you even think it, no it doesn't mean that I'm going to stay here forever. I will be back the day before term breaks at Hogwarts, so I can pick Rose and Hugo up from the train.

So how are things at the ministry? Did you get my official correspondence about getting an auror representee here in Australia? Though I shouldn't be talking work right now, I just want to make sure you got it! Besides, if you consider the proposal has merits, you may just need to travel out here yourself and check it out.

I can't wait until Christmas, to see you and the kids.

Love,

Hermione

~*~

Dear Hermione,

Yes, of course I remember that first Halloween! We've had some crazy times together over the last thirty years. I wish I could say the same about my three, but they still manage to pull the wool over my eyes. But, what can I say- many of my greatest memories come from the mischief we used to get up to (like the troll in the bathroom).

You're enjoying socialising? Why couldn't you find this enjoyment years ago- it would have saved me plenty of nights when Ginny wanted to go out, but no one would go with her! I'm glad you're enjoying yourself though. It's good to see you enjoying yourself.

Please don't tease me about the weather- the days here are getting colder and longer.

And I only thought that for a second.

And yes I got your mail. You should have my rejection by now (sorry). We've been surprisingly busy lately, and I would have loved to have come and visit and have a handy excuse (not to mention have the Ministry pay for it), but I wouldn't have been able to get away.

I'm heading up to Hogsmeade on Saturday. I spoke to Neville and it's the first student day for the year and I'm planning on surprising the kids. I'll let you know what happens.

Missing you.

Love,

Harry

~*~

Harry opened his eyes and he was standing on the familiar main street of Hogsmeade. Ahead he could see the bright orange of Weasley Wizard Wheeze's Hogsmeade shop and he smiled. Being the first Hogsmeade visit of the year, George would surely be in the shop. He would have to stop in and say hello.

It was quite cold and Harry decided to head to The Three Broomsticks to warm up and keep an eye out for James, Albus and Rose.

'Morning, Rosmerta,' he said brightly as he walked in. The woman's eyes lit up as she saw him.

'Harry Potter!' she exclaimed. 'I haven't seen you in years! I'm so sorry about Ginny, dear. I just felt so sad when I found out! And your poor children!'

'Thank you, Rosmerta,' he said, taking a seat at the bar. He still felt uncomfortable when he saw people he hadn't seen since Ginny's death- what was he supposed to say?

'Mead? Or Firewhiskey?'

'I might have a Gillywater, thanks,' Harry said and Rosmerta looked at him oddly. 'Just trying to cut back. And I have a few things to do today. And,' he paused, checked his watch, and chuckled. 'It's a bit early. Even for me.'

Rosmerta laughed and sent the drink towards him with his wand.

'Oh look, here come the masses.'

Harry followed her gaze out the window and saw the mass of black cloaks descending from Hogwarts.

'Suppose you're waiting for your lot?'

'Thought I'd say hi.'

'Go have a more comfortable seat,' she said with a smile. 'I'll send them your way when they come in.'

Harry made his way across the pub into one of the more comfortable chairs up the back. He pulled his newspaper out from his pocket and pretended to read it whilst he waited.

~*~

'Let's go,' Albus said to James, crankily, as they stood outside Honeydukes. Rose was standing with them, flicking through a small book. They'd waited inside the shop for about an hour, but they were being to look suspicious, so they hurriedly paid for their candy and moved outside and out of sight of the owners.

'They've chickened out,' she said sounding bored as she lazily turned a page. 'Hugo would've talked Lily out of it.'

'Thanks, sis,' Hugo said, his head appearing from nowhere suddenly. Rose jumped, causing Albus and James to laugh.

'Ready?' Lily asked, appearing beside Hugo. She pulled the cloak off both of them and tucked it and the map into her robes.

The five of them walked up the main street together, keeping Lily and Hugo in the middle. They had a few tense moments when they saw Neville coming towards them, but they managed to get into Gladrags before he spotted the two second-years.

'Put the cloak back on,' Rose hissed at them as they watched Neville pass. 'It's too dangerous. You'll be in so much trouble.'

'Relax,' Lily told her. 'Who else could we run into? The other teachers are all busy today- I checked.'

They headed back out again and James pointed to the Three Broomsticks.

'Let's go have a drink and figure out what we want to do next.'

Inside the pub, Harry had finished his absent minded flick through the newspaper and he put it down, taking another sip of his Gillywater. The pub was slowly filling, but he still had a good view of the door.

He started to laugh when the door opened and James walked in, followed by Lily and Hugo, with Albus and Rose coming in last. He caught Rosmerta's eye and made the quiet sign, pointing to the two that shouldn't have been there. She winked at him and served the five teenagers without saying a word.

Harry waited until they were seated at a table, talking loudly before he approached.

'Fancy seeing you here,' he said. Hugo jumped and spilt his Butterbeer down his front. Lily went pale white and just stared at him.

'Dad?'

'Was just in the neighbourhood,' he said, shrugging his shoulders and drawing a chair up to the table. He looked at his oldest son and smiled.

'So you gave them the map,' he said and James looked away. Harry looked back at Lily and smiled. 'And you've got my cloak too.'

'Don't be mad,' Lily said in a small voice and Harry laughed.

'If you promise to put the cloak on once you've had your drink and go straight back to school, I won't be mad.'

'Please don't tell mum,' Hugo almost whispered.

'Afraid I'll have too,' Harry said and the boy winced. 'Parents code,' he added with a wink.

'So why are you here?' Albus asked with curiosity.

'Wanted to check up on you all,' Harry said briskly. 'And wanted to tell you something.'

He looked at all of them once, then focused on his own children.

'I'm going to Spain next month,' he said slowly. 'To pay my respects for Ginny, and Ron.'

They reacted as he knew they would. The two girls looked like they would cry. James looked angry, Albus confused and Hugo just sad.

'I will only be gone overnight,' he assured them. 'I'm taking a portkey there and back.'

'Is it safe?' Lily asked fearfully.

'Safer than it was a year ago,' he told them truthfully. 'The muggles have security organised for the anniversary. The cause of the gas leak has been fixed, there's nothing to worry about.'

He stood up and looked at their faces.

'I just wanted to let you all know. I will arrange with Neville to visit you when I return.'

He ruffled the boys hair, kissed the girls on the cheek and headed out the door, disapparting from the street.

~*~

Dear Hermione,

I know I only just wrote, but I had an interesting day today. I went to Hogsmeade as I said I would, and you'll never guess who was there.

Seems mine and Ron's talent for trouble has been passed on to all of them (bar Rose who seemed like she didn't want to be part of it at all).

Lily and Hugo used the map and the cloak to sneak into Hogsmeade.

After getting caught by me, I don't think they'll do it again in a hurry.

Don't be too hard on Hugo when you write to him. Don't send him a howler. I'm going to write to Neville and ask him to keep an eye on them next Hogsmeade visit too.

Wish you were going to be home in November.

See you at Christmas.

Love,

Harry