Unofficial Portkey Archive

Adrift by dumbles
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Adrift

dumbles

Title: Adrift

Summary: It was supposed to be the perfect holiday, but a tragic accident plunges Harry and Hermione adrift in to a new, uncertain life.

Rating: PG-13 for language and adult themes

Authors Notes: Nothing to say but 'enjoy'!!!

TWENTY TWO

'Come on, Albus, you'll miss the train!'

The Potter's ran through Kings Cross, pushing three overloaded trolleys. Harry checked his watch and had a sudden flashback to his second year, when he and Ron had missed the train.

At least he knew Dobby wasn't going to seal the concealed entrance to the train platform. That was one thing.

Without much regard for the surrounding muggles, they ran through the barrier one by one, Harry being the last. They had one minute to spare as Harry helped hurriedly unload the trunks and cages onto the train.

'Write to me!' he called as the train started to move. 'And behave yourselves!'

He waved frantically to the three of them as the train picked up speed. Further down the train he could see Rose and Hugo leaving out, waving to him as well. He walked backwards up the platform, still waving, and was soon next to Hermione.

'I didn't think you were coming,' she said, giggling at how much he was panting in exhaustion after the rush.

'I didn't think we were either,' Harry said, catching his breath long enough to laugh slightly. 'I think I need to start running again.'

The Hogwart's Express was out of sight now and all the parents on the platform were slowly making their way towards the barrier, or disapparting with little 'pop's'.

'Guess it's time for our goodbye,' Harry said, sounding a lot sadder than he planned too.

'Portkey leaves in half an hour,' Hermione said nervously. 'You'll check on the house?'

'Of course. You'll come back?'

'I'll be home for Christmas.'

They both waved at friends that were ahead of them or behind them as they joined the end of the line at the barrier.

'I wish we'd made up before now,' Harry said. 'I just got you back and you're going again.'

'Honestly, Harry, it'll feel like I was never even gone!'

~*~

From Kings Cross, Hermione headed to the Ministry and into Kingsley's office. Her step was light as she walked the luxuriously carpeted halls. She wasn't sure what had happened with Harry the night before, but she knew it was good. It had been hard, not speaking and being mad. And she believed him now. Since James's accident, he hadn't touched a single drink.

'Good morning, Hermione,' Kingsley greeted her brightly. 'Just in time.'

He pointed to a small object on his desk.

'I guess I should get going.'

'I will be in touch soon,' Kingsley smiled at her. 'Good luck.'

She took hold of the small silver ball and held it tight in her hand. After only a few moments, she felt the hook like sensation around her middle and got pulled forwards. She closed her eyes tight, only opening them when she had stopped moving.

'Welcome to Sydney,' a voice with a different accent greeted her as she opened her eyes.

'Thanks,' she said breathlessly. 'Overseas travel by Portkey isn't a very pleasant experience.'

'Better than flying,' the man said ruefully. 'Your arse starts to hurt as you're flying over the Atlantic and by the time you land here, you're frozen to the broom. Believe me, I know.'

She laughed.

'Well, I'm obviously Hermione.'

'How rude of me,' he took hold of her hand and shook it vigorously. 'Kevin. Kevin Langmore. I'll be your assistant, your punching bag, your guide and pretty much anything you want me to be. My official title however is just Assistant. I've been asking for years to be called 'Supreme Underlord' and have your role renamed 'Supreme Overlord' but they just won't agree to it.'

Hermione followed Kevin on a tour of the consulate and met the staff, realising that she would never remember any of their names. She told this to Kevin fearfully, who just laughed.

'Don't worry, I'm just happy that I've remembered all of their names as I introduced them to you,' he said. 'Would've been a bit embarrassing if I did forget, seeing as though I've worked here for 10 years.'

Hermione laughed and felt a lot better. She liked Kevin and she could see that working with him would be a lot of fun.

The tour ended as they headed up a flight of stairs to the top most floor and he handed her a set of keys.

'This is your residence. You don't have to live here, if you don't want too. But the kitchen downstairs will cook all your meals and the cleaning and laundry get done for you, so I don't know why you wouldn't want to. And if you don't want to, mind not telling anyone and just letting me live here? The lease on my place is up and the real estate market in Sydney is shocking- muggle and wizarding.'

'Thank you, Kevin,' she said, taking the keys from him and laughing. 'If the market is that bad, I guess I have no choice but to live here. I will see you tomorrow?'

'Yes- we've got a lot to do tomorrow. A few meetings with the Australians. Should be fun. And if you don't want to do that, they'll be more than happy if we cancel and we can just nick off to the beach.'

Hermione laughed and waved goodbye to him, unlocking the door and stepping into her new home.

The apartment wasn't very large, but was decorated nicely. Walking in, she walked straight into a comfortable sitting room. She could see a small kitchen coming off this and a small dining area. Along a small hallway was the two bedrooms and a bathroom. It was perfect, considering she wasn't here for very long. In the largest of the bedrooms she found the things she had sent in advance and she changed into more comfortable clothing.

In the very corner of the sitting room was a magnificent desk and sitting on a perch above this desk was an owl. She wasted no time hurrying over and drawing out a sheet of fresh parchment

Harry,

Just wanted to write and let you know that I have arrived safely.

I'm glad that we were able to move on from our fight before I left. I would have felt horrible being over here, knowing that we were mad at each other.

And I didn't realise until last night how much I had missed you.

I'll write again soon.

Love,

Hermione

She attached the letter to the owls foot and sent it out the window. Then, she turned her attention to the large stack of files marked 'for your review'.

'Three and a half months to go.'

~*~

It took Harry three days to reply to Hermione's letter. It had arrived whilst he'd been sharing lunch in his office with Teddy and he'd put it away unread until that night.

The other two days had been spent trying to figure out what to say. After writing a letter to the kids at Hogwarts, he'd sat at his desk and started his reply.

Dear Hermione,

Thank you for your letter. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to write back- I've been catching up on work that I put aside over the summer whilst James was injured. I thought I'd delegated most of it, but it's surprising how much it can build up.

I'm glad you arrived safely- not much chance of a Portkey going wrong though! I hope that everyone is treating you good and that you're enjoying yourself. If not, only three and a half months until you come home.

I just wanted to say... I never really apologised to you for our fight. Once James had his accident, I did a lot of thinking and I realised what you had said was right. I was masking my pain at losing Ginny.

And I didn't realise until you weren't around that you were better for the pain than any drink. Just being close to you makes me feel happy. I can't really explain how it makes me feel. But I know now that I need you in my life and I won't ever make that mistake again. I promise.

I miss you and I'm looking forward to you coming home. Maybe you being away for a while and us writing will help bring us closer again. It's funny, I almost feel like a teenager again and that it's just the summer break. In my mind it feels like in a few weeks we'll be back on the train to Hogwarts.

If only life was that simple.

Love,

Harry

~*~

'Yes, yes, yes!' James cheered as he scanned the Gryffindor notice board at the end of the first week of term. 'First Hogsmeade visit- end of October!'

Other students started to gather around, muttering excitedly. James turned around and found his siblings and cousins behind him.

'I wish we could go,' Hugo said sadly to Lily. James heard this and looked at Rose and raised his eyebrows.

'No, James.'

'No one will ever know!'

'Dad and Uncle Harry didn't want us to use it like this!'

'Why else did they give it to us?' James asked.

'What are you talking about?' Albus asked them.

'Come with me,' James said, winking.

They all headed up the stairs into the fifth year boys dormitory and James closed the door and cast a locking charm to ensure privacy.

'Dad gave this to Teddy originally,' he explained. 'And when Teddy left, he gave it to me. I told Rose when she started and she, of course, dobbed.'

'Well I didn't think it was right,' she said, folding her arms.

'But Dad and Uncle Ron turned a blind eye,' James continued, ignoring her. He bent down into his trunk and pulled up an old looking piece of parchment. 'Thank god you told Uncle Ron, not Aunt Hermione. She would've killed us.'

'Well, she wasn't home that day,' Rose said rudely.

'What-' Albus started, but all of them shushed him.

'I solemnly swear that I am up to no good,' James said, pointing his wand to the parchment and laying it flat on his bed.

Lily gasped as she looked at it, staring at her brother with wide eyes.

'Grandad and Sirius and Remus made this map when they were students,' James explained. 'It shows everything. Including-'

'Secret passage ways out of the school,' Hugo said in amazement. James nodded.

'And one that leads right into Honeydukes.'

Hugo and Lily stared at each other in amazement. James, enjoying the effect, bent into his trunk again and pulled up a cloak made of shimmering, flowing material.

'Dad's invisibility cloak!' Albus exclaimed.

'He doesn't know I have it,' James said in warning. 'So don't blab.'

'So what you're saying is we should take the cloak and map and come into Hogsmeade?'

'Of course not- think of how many school rules you'll be breaking!' James exclaimed, winking. 'Now, come on, Albus and Rose. What do you say we go get some dinner?'

The oldest three left the room. As soon as the door closed, Lily reached out and snapped the cloak and map into her hands and stowed them under her robes.

'Lil,' Hugo started to say.

'You don't have to come,' she said to him. 'But don't tell if I do.'